Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Duck Mounting on Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Last season while taking the Transarc in Les Arc with little B Snowshepherd, we noticed a couple with some skis we had never seen before, they were Hendryx's from Sweden, we were further taken aback by the off set bindings or Duck Stance as we were told. They looked pretty extreme and when we watch the couple ski off we noticed a distinct "new school" style of skiing. The couple from Norway were both over 50!

So finally done a bit of research, had a chat with spyderjon as well.

Link here to Duck Stance on Hendryx site to explain

http://www.hendryxskis.se/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=57

Has anyone skied with Duck Stance on Skis? Puzzled

Can anyone shed more light on the matter? Puzzled

With wider fatter skis becoming more common is, or will Duck Stance become more common as well or have ski makers overcome this with newer designs over the last year or two? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i just can't see how it can be good for your knees
my (ACL reconstructed) left knee feels bad enough after a few days riding hardpack on wide skis with a conventional stance. trying to get some angulation really seems to open up the MCL area with a duck stance
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
livetoski, you can mount your skis duck or you can buy duck boots (Nordica Aggressor, Atomic "Soma")

I love my Aggressors. Sadly the current models have dropped the rotated shell.

Don't think too much of his "new" "technique".
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just seems like a bad idea to me, my knees ache at the thought. Don't really see how it'd be beneficial either.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC, the idea is that when your skis are straight your feet are in a more "natural" position. And apparently aids turn in. Feels like it to me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, Duck boots are intresting, I skied some super fats 150x125x145 for about 3 hours plus on monday at Hemel. I found that when I went to take my boots off, the tongues on both boots had shifted outwards quite a bit, not something I get normally Puzzled maybe down to trying to find a more natural stance or just bad skiing!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name, fair enough, the concept is interesting but even with my natural stance having splayed feet, I don't really find this in my own skiing. I do think it makes more sense in boots than binding mounts though, and don't really get why I'd want it more on fat skis than regular skis if the concept is beneficial.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
well it works for some not for others, based on the limited numbers of people over the past few years that i have seen who would actually benefit from the abducted stance boots then i can only thin there is an even more limited number of people who would benefit from this

we do a simple test to determine if somone would really benefit from something like the fisher boot (6 degrees of offset) many boots offer 1.5 degrees or similar but the fisher is by far the most agressive.... you have to ask why a company as big as Nordica have canned the idea after not a lot of time in production

i can see the whole abducted stance skis thing as a great way to destroy knees if used by people with the wrong biomechanics

you can even do it on race skis now with the new atomic X20 race binding, whioch allows the toe piece to be adjusted to an abducted or adducted position and the heel adapts to match..... @ around £500 a pair though and a max DIN of 20 i don't think we will find too many takers for them

mind you there are bound to be some people on here qualified enough to use them Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Makes total sense to me, but i'm a boarder so what do i know - it's a common practice amongst 'my people'.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:
mind you there are bound to be some people on here qualified enough to use them Little Angel

I think you mean certified, not qualified Smile

(He says, rocking Salomon 920s on his daily off-piste ski)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

new atomic X20 race binding, whioch allows the toe piece to be adjusted to an abducted or adducted

CEM,
When i was doing a bit of research I came across the patent by Atomic on this, they must have thought it worth while to have gone down a patent route as its pretty expensive to do this. Or maybe they are just hedging there bets for the future.

Would still like to know what Duck stance bindings are like to ski on tho?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the original big fat skis (Atomic Powder Plus and the various incarnations of this: Powder Cruise, Heli Guide etc), the early ones all came with the advise to set them up with a duck stance. At that point no jig was wide enough to fit the skis so they actually had a mounting guide on the top sheet which off set the toe & heels as above. Lots of people have skied them like this, bottom line, it didn't stick.

I tried on some Atomic & Fischer boots with the toes and would have liked to have taken them out in snow but never had a chance.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The thing that I can't imagine is having edging not equal on both sides - if the inside ball of my foot is further from the edge than the outside, isn't that going to effect how my ankles dictate edging? I'm guessing fat skis would exaggerate this more than thin, which sounds even worse rather than an improvement!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor, i thought is was for an off-centre mount rather than a duck stance?

my old atomic boots supposedly did this but can't say i noticed the difference between them and my current boots in that respct. i was wearing the atomics when I effed my knee but not sure i would read too much into that..
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, not if you ride in the backseat and all the pressure is going through your heals Wink
ski holidays
Arno, so duck mounting rax skis is the answer to life, the universe and everything then? snowHead
ski holidays
DaveC, wny not try it and post pics? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
DaveC, Arno, Twisted Evil
snow conditions
DaveC,
Quote:

I can't imagine is having edging not equal on both sides

I am no expert on this subject, however reading through the methodology of duck mounting on the fatter skis then the edging will be more equal, equal weight on both skis Puzzled
ski holidays
This is an interesting idea and kind of one i discussed with easiski last week, but the key surely must be a biomechanical assessment.
I for example have a foot progression angle of +5 on the left compared with +20 on the right, now duck stance may be exactly what my right foot needs but I'd bet on both feet (to the same degree) it would be a disaster.
I'm very asymetrical which is odd but there's going to be a cohort of people who are going to have neutral to negative values who I'd feel this isn't going to be great for.

Having said all that if i get hold of an old pair of skis I'm mighty tempted to try mounting the right one duck and left neutral.
snow report
Arno wrote:
parlor, i thought is was for an off-centre mount rather than a duck stance?

my old atomic boots supposedly did this but can't say i noticed the difference between them and my current boots in that respct. i was wearing the atomics when I effed my knee but not sure i would read too much into that..

Hmmmmm *scratch*. You're right that they were off centre for sure. Perhaps that's all the mounts instructions were for. Even if they weren't marked 'duck stance' I know quite a few pairs were mounted with a duck stance... (it wasn't up to quack though)
snow report
betterinblack,
Quote:

now duck stance may be exactly what my right foot needs

does this mean its duck on one ski and duckling on the other Toofy Grin
latest report
Just found an intresting thread on Teton about Duck mounting, its a few years old however general thoughts were more favour to Boots being the answer rather than mounting, anyone interested can read at:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52677

the thread did mention that Seth Morisson used his pontoons duck mounted however that was a few years ago
snow conditions
OFFS! learn to board rolling eyes If you need fat skis you should be on a board and if you're enjoying the white cement then 'duck' is the last thing you want.

Learn to use the best tool for the conditions and if you don't have that choice learn to use the tool you have!
snow conditions
Masque,

Quote:

If you need fat skis you should be on a board

Toofy Grin if I remember correctly the development of binding positions on snowboards went through a number of changes before the common mounting position of today.

Plus there is the little thing of split boards, so we could say that boards are becoming more ski like NehNeh
ski holidays
Masque, sounds like you might need to learn to ski Wink
snow report
livetoski, There is no set binding position on a board, the position is determined by your bio-mechanics the board, the style of riding and snow conditions.

DaveC, wouldn't be seen dead on them

Those are telemark bindings Twisted Evil not so hot on morning ice crust but very sweet once I could get a bit of edge grip.
snow report
Masque,
Quote:

wouldn't be seen dead on them

intresting setup that I would like to try. Smile

my worry is not the board or the setup though it would be the gold rimmed shades Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski, 40 year old mil-issue Aviators what's not to love about close fitting good filtering shades when you're flying. They're proper ones that don't fall off when you're upside-down Embarassed
snow report
For some reason I wondered if Fenland skier would be into a Duck setup Toofy Grin wink
snow report
Masque, no worries my 1986 ray ban aviators were borrowed by my daughter a few years ago for Glastonbury, needless to say they never returned, she says she lost them but my geuss is that she sold them for a few quid or an extra cider or two rolling eyes
latest report
Masque, What is that? A single fat ski? I'm sure it's not an old style mono-ski - I've seen them used and they are wider than that I think. It's too narrow to be a snow board (and you've got ski poles). How did it go? It looks quite sleek. There have been several threads recents with folks who have ended up with just one of a pair of skis, maybe you have the answer!!
snow report
Megamum, It's a Teleboard, now I've a little more time I'll do a write-up about it. Steep learning curve and you need the balance of a squirrel on ice, but once running it is lovely to slide on but as yet too fast for me. I need to be fitter to start pointing it down bumpy fast reds. Duck? no 'third position' girls.
snow conditions
Masque, Interesting - 'tele' board - does it deploy the same tactic of bent knees as you take it through the curve of a bend like the telemark skiers use?
ski holidays
Masque, I am pretty sure I have seen a Teleboard before in St Foy, maybe a few seasons ago?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy