Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The dangers of high heels

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure regular readers of snowHeads will already be aware, through CEM's advice, of the dangers of wearing high heels in respect of reducing ankle movement. So why have these researchers only just discovered this?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, and the case for the defence has just been thrown out Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That article has reminded me of this woman's absolutely dreadful looking feet I happened to notice one day around the pool area on holiday in Egypt last year. I presumed that her feet looked terrible from constant high heel usage, although I could have been wrong. I couldn't think of any other reason why they were shaped exactly like being in a high heel shoe though, unless it was that Puzzled When she walked her toes pointed skywards (from being constantly bent in the position of the high heel shoe I think) and when she wasn't on her feet (i.e lying on her sunbed or something), her feet looked equally strange/contorted.

I couldn't help but notice when I saw these strange looking feet (I was shocked) out of the corner of my eye and wondered what the hell had happened to them.

CEM, is this possible for women's feet to look like this/very strange if they have constantly worn high heels for a long time?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should point out also, that the lady in question seemed to have trouble walking a bit, naturally, since her toes weren't on the ground at any point. Perhaps she couldn't actually get them on the ground anymore at the same time her heel was on the ground.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5, perfectly possible, whilst high heels don't actually cause bunions etc they sure as hell accentuate them and speed up the progression... they do however cause a shortening of the gastro-soleus complex
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5, I'm not saying it couldn't have been high heels, but I also know 'pointe' ballet dancers can also suffer from severe foot problems later in live if their young lives on 'pointe' are not carefully controlled and monitored, esp. whilst the feet are still growing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5, Toofy Grin

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller, nice one
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, Thanks Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, dancers probably have some of the worst feet we see
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM, I know its a bit OT (but this is SH!!), but Minimum_1 will probably be given the chance to start on 'pointe' in the next year or two. I expect the exposure to be carefully controlled by her ballet teacher, and I don't want to prevent it (as it was something I dearly wanted to do but never got the chance to), but if you had any information that would inform me about timing and age and how to monitor things, so that I can tell if the dance school are doing things properly I'd be grateful (by PM or on a thread somewhere). Thanks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, I can understand that about the dancers and that's a good point. Although, if it was down to that, would her feet not have been straight when they were on the ground, not toes pointing skyward? Or could the dancing cause the toes to point skyward when they shouldn't either?

thefatcontroller, what's wrong with the lady's feet in the picture then? I seem to remember reading something, years ago now, about the binding of Chinese(?) girls feet into a pointed shape. I'm not sure up to how recently this practice was carried out mind you, but it was something along the lines of it was deemed that pointed small feet were a good thing for these girls to have, hence the bindings. As such there are now a lot of elderly/older women with these types of foot deformations from the foot bindings they were made to wear, along with the obvious difficulties with walking. I wonder if the photograph you posted is an example of such perhaps?

CEM, thanks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
thefatcontroller, what's wrong with the lady's feet in the picture then?

She had been to see smallzookeeper Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
thefatcontroller, what's wrong with the lady's feet in the picture then?

She had been to see smallzookeeper Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zipfits ?
ski holidays
I know someone's going to laugh and think I'm barking for saying this, but I've just looked at that photo again (poor woman, it can't be comfortable can it! Sad ) and I wondered what those 4 squashed blobs of flesh were under the arch of her foot (or what would be the arch, in effect) and I think it can only be what used to be her toes Shocked Sad . Since there's 4 of them, and the big toe in effect must still be at the front. I don't know how they've been bent around and underneath though, if it is the remnants of toes. I don't think I want to know.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, Jez, it took you 48 minutes to work that out. Shocked . Gross isn't it but height of fashion in old China.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, oi! I only looked at it quickly first time around and didn't really study it. At first glance it kind of looks like growths of some kind, especially when it's in place where you'd never expect to see toes, and you can't see the foot from the top to see that there's only one toe left.

Terrible though isn't it, all that pain and discomfort for the sake of fashion/a belief that girls should have small dainty pointed feet. Poor women. Sad
snow report
Bit of trivia for you :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, not the best picture but this http://create.orthobullets.com/pediatrics/4063/cavus-foot is what I think you are describing (not much chance of getting into a ski boot).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 16-07-10 17:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
anarchicsaltire wrote:
(not much cahnce of getting into a ski boot).

You obviously haven't spent time in the presence of CEM Skullie Skullie
latest report
anarchicsaltire, when that one comes in...i am on lunch wink
ski holidays
CEM, I'd take a long one Very Happy

thefatcontroller, better picture here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , but I've seen a lot worse!

woops! the've moved it!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 16-07-10 17:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
let's try again rolling eyes
snow conditions
Megamum, I danced a lot as a child/teenager and taught ballet- still do the odd bit now. Got to RAD Advanced 1, and was a NBT/Royal Ballet scholar - I was on pointe from 10, and my feet are still in tact. It's really important that she is strong enough to hold her weight using leg/ankle/core muscles. Dance teacher should have her doing all the barrework she will do en pointe but in flat shoes - lots of rises, holding balances etc.

When she gets the pointe shoes, it's vital she has them properly fitted. Most dance shops claim to fit, but just like ski boots, it's vital you go to someone who really understands fittings. If you let me know where in the world you are, I can probably suggest someone, or I'm sure her dance teacher will suggest someone reputable.

Once she is fitted, she should only be dancing in her shoes for maybe 15 minutes at a time, almost entirely on the barre for the first few months. This can gradually be increased as she gets stronger. Tell her not to rush, and not to compare with her friends - some people have really strong arched feet, others take a little longer. Try not to get frustrated if she progresses slower than friends, she will get there and is probably better at another aspect of dance as noone is good at it all.

Keep an eye on shoes getting soft - they start to break down and won't support her. Also watch out for growing out of them - she needs them to fit like a glove. Downside of that is expense. Also, keep toenails clipped short - that can really add to pressure. Tell her to experiment with padding - there are several options, lambswool is a good starter but can bunch up, paper towels can move around. I'm not a fan of the ouch pouch stitched padding as it's a bit bulky and tends to let the younger ones sink and forget to use their muscles. Nothing in the shoe is a good option if she is strong enough, but there's no shame in using a bit of padding at first. Pointe is a lot of fun, but can be painful and is often an anticlimax to start with.

Hope that helps, any questions feel free to message me...it's nice to hear of other skiing dancers!
ski holidays
anarchicsaltire, thanks for posting those. I can't say they really looked like any of those photos though. In the photos you've posted, it looks like they have suffered from some kind of physical abnormality, whereas this woman's feet looked 'normal' (i.e the toes didn't have the appearance of those in your photos) apart from the toes themselves being bent up all the time from the ball of the foot whether she was sat down, or stood on them. Horrible painted toenails too if I remember correctly. Bleurgh! She looked a bit 'glamour model' so to speak but with terrible, terrible feet. Her and her mate were posing for photos of each other and I remember thinking "I hope her mate realises not to get her feet in".

I am sure it's high heels that have done it, somehow. She did have a fairly unusual walk but then you would do if you were bounding around on just your heels all the time, her ankles didn't seem to have anything wrong with them.

Then again, I didn't get that close. I must have been about 7-8 feet wink away when I clocked them and saw her walking about around the pool etc. I couldn't help but notice because I'd never seen anything like it in my life.
snow conditions
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070105153059AAyx1zS

Ooh, perhaps the same woman is this chap's girlfriend Laughing called 'May'. I wouldn't have said she was 25 though, (well, 24 as I went to Egypt a year ago now) more like bloomin' 36.

Laughing I just typed into a search engine "Feet damaged by high heels" and that Yahoo! Answers question came up!

The 'Best Answer' given is quite funny, but I doubt it would solve the problem long term.

'May's boyfriend sounds like a nice guy doesn't he.
latest report
Well until I read this thread I thought my feet were pretty grim.... I feel better now!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I can't say I've ever worn high heels on that regular a basis, and even more so now as I no longer drive to work, get out of the car, walk a short distance to my office and then just wear them a bit around the office, being sat down most of the day at a desk. Now I walk a lot to and from uni, carrying books/folders etc, so me and everyone else I can think of, come to that, has flat shoes on. I did put some heels on when we last went out, not even that high compared to some, and they were so uncomfortable, especially having not worn any for ages. I couldn't wait to get the bloody things off at the end of the night. I like my feet looking nice as they are anyway.
snow report
swisssnowbunny, That's useful information thankyou - CEM also found me some info. and I've had a read. She isn't quite old enough yet, but old enough to see her peers doing it and is looking forward to the time her teacher lets her start. From what I've read I favour waiting until she hits physical puberty at least when the hormones have started to fix some things in place. Also for when her feet have slowed down growing (if only for the expense of the shoes). This might mean that I dissuade her for another 4 years or so - she is strong, but I think her kidney problem may not have helped her development and although tall she is lean and a bit slight, though filling out all the time since her operation. Both the kids have my feet I think. I have a wide foot (only EEE shoes are comfy), with a high instep (I can't get my ankle round fashion boots rolling eyes ), the kids also have wide feet, and I bet they have the family's high instep too. Minimum_1 will swear about that when she is older and like me won't be able to find fashionable comfy shoes rolling eyes I bet they will also need extra wide ski boots too (I had the widest in the shop at the time IIRC). Mind you I do think such feet are quite strong, and once her feet are properly formed I hope she will be able to experiment on her pointes. It's something I would have dearly loved to do.
latest report
pam w, likewise Laughing

Megamum, my daughter danced en-pointe and has no visible damage to her feet - I suspect tthe majority of dancers with major foot damage are the pro dancers who will be on them 24/7, not those dancing a few hours per week. Confused
snow report
Climbing shoes can be a bit uncomfortable.. .especially when you have to descend the odd 1k long descent gully Evil or Very Mad

It's not all bad in the case of high heels though... linked from the first post...

High heels 'may improve sex life'

Hers may be a little on the high side
Wearing higher heels - although perhaps not stilettos - may improve your pelvic floor muscles and in doing so boost your sex life, a study suggests.
An Italian urologist and self-professed lover of the sexy shoe set out to prove that high heels were not as bad for women's health as some suggest.

The shoe has been linked to a range of problems - from corns to schizophrenia.

But in a letter to European Urology, Dr Maria Cerruto said her research showed it was time to stand up for the heel.
She said her study of 66 women under 50 found that those who held their foot at a 15 degree angle to the ground - the equivalent of a two inch heel - had as good posture as those who wore flat shoes, and crucially showed less electrical activity in their pelvic muscles.

This suggested the muscles were at an optimum position, which could well improve their strength and ability to contract.

The pelvic floor muscles are an essential component of the female body. As well as assisting sexual performance and satisfaction, they provide vital support to the pelvic organs, which include the bladder, bowels and uterus.

But they often weaken after pregnancy and childbirth, and as the woman gets older. There are exercises to strengthen them, but Dr Cerruto hopes her findings may eliminate the need for these.

"Women often have difficulty in carrying out the right exercises for the pelvic zone and wearing heels could be the solution," she said.

"Like many women, I like high-heeled shoes," she added. "It's good to know they have potential health benefits."

Gill Brook, a women's health physiotherapist in Bradford, stressed the findings did not suggest that stilettos were a good thing for those keen on improving their pelvic floor function.

"But for women who like a slightly higher heel, these are reassuring findings - although we haven't yet done away with the need for regular exercises to maintain what is such an important part of the female body."
latest report
Ugh! (all the photos). Good trainers or flat shoes with good insoles all the time. I do have some high heels and wear them occasionally, but only when I'm going to be sitting down most of the time!! It's nice to be tall for a change though. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy