Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Handy ski carriers ?

Poster: A snowHead
why is spam spam but long established users' flogging their (commercial) wares all over the shop legit and happily facilitated (good luck to them by the way, no beef with it at all)??

always wondered about that round here

just sayin Toofy Grin

I carry my skis like a man, togehter gripped with one hand just above toe of bindings, i have substantial right arm, wrist and hand strength Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
barry, Pay attention that was done to death during "free the Meirengen one" a couple of weeks ago.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, must've nodded off, missed that one Laughing

anyone been on Ryanair lately?? good innit, we're all very proud of Mikey (as a fellow navvy done good)

I imagine bucketfulls of such ski carriers are sold though eh?? fair dues
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney wrote:
I can't understand why those who choose not to use them themselves are so against them in this thread.

Funny, isn't it.
Despite what others say I still think ski carriers are fab, and very practical.

Can I arrange a demo for this years EOSB ?
Would be fun to try out some different models snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yag_si_HS, why dont you arrange your own snowheads trip, purely to test out ski carrying gear? If you paid up front for 30+ people I'm sure you'd get the money back with people willing to go
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok - I'll bite.

They transfer what is a fixed weight of about 6kg from a relatively wide resting surface of about 10cm across (with skis on your shoulder) to a rather narrower one (the strap). If you can carry your skis properly on your shoulder, tips forward, it is easier to do so. If you lack the forearm strength or balance to do it, or if you are like those countless numpties (mainly women and teenagers I am afraid) who not only cannot do it , but swing the bit of the ski behind you round from side to side like a drunk with a machete, then using one might be a good idea.

As to why they sell? People want to buy something cheap at ski shows, or as presents. I have never seen any decent skier I have skied with use one.

Nice Fish btw.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, you know its easy to teach anyone to carry skis properly withing 5 mins, shouting at them for carrying their skis like a punter works no-end wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother forgot to add that it is a key part of the central theme and many prospective BASI instructors fail every year on their ski carrying module. Usually those that have not experienced enough free carrying by over reliance on such straps.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One of these is handy, but I think there is probably a newer more efficient model. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Batman_123 wrote:
yag_si_HS, why dont you arrange your own snowheads trip, purely to test out ski carrying gear?

Fabby snowHead
I suggest that a resort that is really difficult to get around would be best ?
How about Chamonix ? It has lots of nasty buses...

Here is the list so far

1) yag_si_HS
2) Batman_123
3) ... ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Batman_123 & stoatsbrother, also, by the time the ski-carry brigade have phaffed around putting together their Heath Robinson style carry gadget and skis, I've slung my ski's over my shoulder and am well on the way to my lunch or apres.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yag_si_HS, Tell me Chris, are you finding it difficult to flog a load of cheap straps around Bury St. Edmunds at the moment. I'll have a punt how much do you want for them?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As stated earlier in this thread, I suspect that the poster is not at all related to the company selling ski carrying gear, in fact I suspect he my be from *much* further north than Bury St Edmunds...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, ooo, insider knowledge.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NBT your such a tease. So close yet so far.

This demonstration video sums up for me why all skiers should have proper ski carrying equipment snowHead
Essential viewing for all serious mountain users.

http://www.skistrap.co.uk/index.html?video=on
snow conditions
yag_si_HS wrote:
Essential viewing for all serious mountain users.

http://www.skistrap.co.uk/index.html?video=on
But none of the pictures showed people with rucksacks. That is a whole big group of serious mountain users who are excluded.
ski holidays
yag_si_HS wrote:
hey - what about this one ? snowHead really cool.
the guy in the photo is even wearing a helmet with shades (the SCGB look Cool )

Lol this one may even be more pointless than the one in the OP. Booting up something = off piste = avi gear = pack
snow conditions
yag_si_HS, whoever you are (even if you're that odious, depraved idiot from just south of the M25) I think you have entertainment value and please carry on.

Ski carrying devices... my all time fave was the one with wheels that attached to the tails of the skis (via half a mile of straps) and immediately clogged up with grit/snow/horse dung etc and then you were meant to detach wheels and strapping and stow all alongside your lunch in the day pack. I actually met a bloke who chucked his job in to develop one of these systems. "Shoulders"... they're good.
ski holidays
narc, indeed Toofy Grin

Batman_123, damn right. You girls have to learn the right technique in order to avoid getting binding muck on your pristine white ski jackets... wink
snow report
Carrying skis on my shoulders is simply too painful. However, I have a method where I loop the poles round either end and use them as handles. That seems to work OK.
snow report
queen bodecia, Untill you're poles are slightly off centre and you end up picking the lot up off the floor, funny but annoying
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, My missus has developed a great technique, it basically involves the words "Honey, can you carry my skis for me? My knee/shoulder/back/other hurts." while looking sorry for herself. And when SidewaysJunior learns to ski, i'll be carrying his kit too. So i reckon that the best way to carry kit is to spend 6 months in the gym working on upper body strength. Or get a porter
snow report
Richard_Sideways, or ski in / ski out
snow conditions
I have always encouraged the children to carry their own skis in the accepted way. This is made much easier if I put one of those velcro ties around their skis (and I have to admit, there is some advantage to putting one round mine too Embarassed esp. if I have to carry them for any distance). There is a knack to the skis on the shoulder too - I had been at it for some time, before it occurred to me that it worked better if the brakes were a certain way round Embarassed Also, some skis, like my new ones, are a darn sight heavier than others and they do dig in after a while. That said I don't think I'd mess around with a ski carrier, but those little velcro straps don't do any harm IMV. However, the ideal solution is my often mentioned ski Sherper Toofy Grin

And yes, I've bitten, but it's the summer and there is not much even remotely ski-wise to discuss sometimes Laughing
latest report
Miss Radar, has the ski loop and thinks its pointless, it clogs up your backpack with unnecessary junk, that gets in the way of finding your lippy, sunscreen, three hats, sunglasses, goggles, neck warmer etc, she far prefers to carry her's by the "Daddiee I love you" method, works every time Very Happy , we did have boyfriend along once he also discovered that she thought them pointless, as your so much more balanced when you carry two pairs of ski's. Oh she does help out carrying the ski poles Smile yes i too am going through the summer boredom bit
latest report
If your children ever have lessons with easiski they very quickly learn that they are definitely expected to carry their own skis Smile
snow report
Colin B, she does carry a velcro tie to make it easier, I have seen her carry her ski after a lesson atleast 50 feet wink
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, Toofy Grin I worked offshore with the guy that patented that lovely device, went through the heartache of prototypes etc and then slowely realised that the whole venture was actually a total waste of time. It would have been fairer to the guy to hear some of Duncan Bannatynes words of wisdom....and saved him so much heartache. Still he invented a load of other stuff for the drilling industry and is now worth a fortune and probably does not have to carry his own skis anymore Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B wrote:
I'll quite happily sell you mine.

Laughing Laughing me too. I used mine just the once. If I really need my skis carrying I'll use my Dakine backpack which has a ski carrier (not put it to use yet mind)
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno wrote:
Colin B wrote:
I'll quite happily sell you mine.

Laughing Laughing me too. I used mine just the once. If I really need my skis carrying I'll use my Dakine backpack which has a ski carrier (not put it to use yet mind)
ditto - someone gave me one of these things, it's absolutely useless - but I envisage having a problem fitting skis on to my Dakine backpack without help, all those straps, buckles and loops make my brain hurt! Toofy Grin
snow report
I bought mine for my daughter when she was younger, she never got on with it though.
snow conditions
Should we start a thread on boot carriers Madeye-Smiley
snow report
kevindonkleywood wrote:
Bode Swiller, Toofy Grin I worked offshore with the guy that patented that lovely device, went through the heartache of prototypes etc and then slowely realised that the whole venture was actually a total waste of time. It would have been fairer to the guy to hear some of Duncan Bannatynes words of wisdom....and saved him so much heartache. Still he invented a load of other stuff for the drilling industry and is now worth a fortune and probably does not have to carry his own skis anymore Very Happy
that's right, he worked on a rig and found himself with plenty of free time to develop his product (3 weeks on, 3 weeks off kinda thing). I remember that the idea came from the fact his mother struggled with skis so, rather than leaving mum at home like most would, he decided to plough 000s into a solution. I'm not Duncan B but I did say something along the lines of "don't give up your day job". Glad to hear he's doing well - God loves a trier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy