Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer storage and all that jazz.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon. I've got some park skis, y'know, for the typical park rat. Had them waxed specifically for summer storage. Was wondering, what do I need to do before using them? Would I be right to assume its some type of buffing or something? Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Murray
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Murray, scrape wax off with a perspex scraper then give the bases a few passes with a stiff brush to clear out the base structure & to give a bit of polish - then you're good to go.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought a pair of ex-rental skis at the tail end of the season and was told to store them with the bindings in the closed position and completely slackened off to put minimal compression on the springs during storage. Before I took them out of the shop and put them in the attic for the summer we made a note of the DIN settings on some masking tape and stuck it to the skis, then backed off all the settings. So, first job to 're-activate' them will be to reset the settings as per the note to self....
Cheers

(Looking forward to seeing the Portes du Soleil slopes 'nude' in a week's time!)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skis are obviously designed for the winter and cold weather.
It is important not to let them get too warm in the summer - as this can soften the wax and also loosen the metal binding springs that are optimised for below freezing.

If you have space then the best place to keep them is the bottom of your freezer snowHead
Needs to be a large storage freezer for this trick though
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MontriondSkier wrote:
I bought a pair of ex-rental skis at the tail end of the season and was told to store them with the bindings in the closed position and completely slackened off to put minimal compression on the springs during storage. Before I took them out of the shop and put them in the attic for the summer we made a note of the DIN settings on some masking tape and stuck it to the skis, then backed off all the settings. So, first job to 're-activate' them will be to reset the settings as per the note to self....

Absolutely no need to do that with modern bindings.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yag_si_HS wrote:
Skis are obviously designed for the winter and cold weather.
It is important not to let them get too warm in the summer - as this can soften the wax and also loosen the metal binding springs that are optimised for below freezing.

also untrue

whilst you obviously don't want to store your skis next to the furnace, they actually heat race skis to a pretty high temp to get the wax to absorb into the skis base so they run faster (this is of course done in a controlled environment)

ideal storage should be dry and fairly temperature stable
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where do snowheads keep their skis in summer ?

The wife thinks I am mad for keeping skis in the freezer - but I am sure they go faster come December.
A wise old Austrian ski instructor gave me this tip back in the 1970s. snowHead snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stick them in the garage and start looking forward to the winter about now...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yag_si_HS wrote:

The wife thinks I am mad for keeping skis in the freezer - but I am sure they go faster come December.
A wise old Austrian ski instructor gave me this tip back in the 1970s. snowHead snowHead

yag_si_HS as you're an expert I thought I'd ask for an opinion.
As I'm aiming to ski in Alberta next Jan where I believe the temp can drop to -35C what should i do re ski preparation/storage?
The chest freezer only gets to about -18C, should I invest in liquid nitrogen Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yag_si_HS wrote:

But where do you store your fishing rod in the winter? wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yag_si_HS, you must be a madman Toofy Grin , the ONLY place to keep your skis is in bed next to you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yag_si_HS wrote:

In my new specially made lockable ski store (inside, cool constant temps, stored upright) along with all the bits and peices from spyderjon following our tuning session. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh so that’s where all the ski shops have been going wrong, not having them displayed all year round in a refrigerated unit? Honestly yag_si_HS I worry for your sanity if you actually do store your skis in a freezer, or for any one that listened to you.

Don’t confuse with being old as being wise. I’m sure your Austrian Ski instructor was on a wind up, a good service and a thick layer of wax on them for the summer should see you fine, provided they are being stored in a dry environment. This is only to stop the edges from rusting and becoming pitted. You don’t need to mess with the bindings, or be overly concerned with heat. The bases are ironed for hot waxing for goodness sake, they can take it. It’s the temperature of wax that affects the speed in cold conditions. E.g. Cold waxes for cold temperatures not some sort of trained conditioning by being stored in ice.

Or were you talking about cryogenically freezing them…
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Motions, chill. It's a p!ss take
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy