Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gondola v. Chairlift

Poster: A snowHead
Chairlift for me - using a gondola means trying to load 3-kids skis and get them in while not having a nervous breakdown
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Batman_123,
Quote:

the checking the piste map thing that people insist on doing all the time, over and over
Grrr. I could add that to 'Pet Hates' thread. It drives me insane when people I ski with keep looking at maps*. (My system of, 'oh well, it looks OK from here, I might as well ski down it' only rarely lands me in the wrong valley. Toofy Grin)

Edit: *piste maps, I hasten to add. Guess it's useful to know vaguely where you are when you're skiing off-piste.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle, piste map checking is a pet hate of mine as well, no point unless its the end of the day and you need to get to certain lift to get home. If skiing on piste its not like you're going to get stuck and have to walk 300 miles out to get to the nearest lift. More fun and more skiing without piste map anyway. Also, its often people who are completely unable to read a piste map who tend to check them all the time, so what's the point, drives me mad.

Maps in general ok in the UK for example. Although I carry cycle maps around with me most of the time I generally don't look at them though (which is why a 15 minute journey home can end up taking 2 hours, but not to worry).

Re skiing off piste, have only ever really done with a guide, who I trust as a map really. Apart from the one that got lost.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suppose if you're frightened of getting on to anything steeper than a blue piste having a quick glance at a piste map every now and again isn't such a bad idea.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, agree with that. Its people checking the piste map who don't need to worry about that sort of thing that winds me up, should have mentioned that sorry
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and doing so 50 million times
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jumbo ginormous piste map boards at top of all major gondola/chairlift point ftw. They really are (mostly) the same as the flimsy ones in your pocket (but without all the ads).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Batman_123 wrote:
rob@rar, agree with that. Its people checking the piste map who don't need to worry about that sort of thing that winds me up, should have mentioned that sorry
Indeed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy, good point. I was on holiday this year and there was 20 minutes looking at a piste map at one point, and not just the piste map, the massive board as well, why the need to look at two have no idea. I had to walk away slowly to ensure toys did not get thrown completely out the plan. (All involved competent to ski any piste.). Unsurprisingly, this faffing was performed after a gondola ride.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maybe they should have piste maps in the gondolas like the maps in the London undeground trains.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I like gondola more, except on a warm sunny day. It's so much warmer IN the gondola than on the open chair. Fact being, if I dress for the chair ride, I'm over-dressed for actual skiing! Gondola is the great equalizer!!! Very Happy

I just don't get all this "hate" about other's "faffing". Go ahead and ski off if you really hate your mate's faffing! It's a holiday, for god's sake!!! What's with all the hurry???

Besides, all that complain totally missed the point that majority of gondola/cable cars are much longer than avearge chair rides. So it typically brings skiers to a different part of the mountain. So it's not surprising it's a good "faff" point, for toilet break, photo break or even lunch break!

I don't look at maps all that often. But if I do, it's to find & get to pistes with the most potential for best snow condition on that part of the day, which I noticed a large percentage of skiers have no clue how to anyway. Sad

I just have a hard time understanding people harbouring so much "hate" about other people's habit...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc,
Quote:

It's a holiday, for god's sake!!! What's with all the hurry???

Quite right. Very Happy
amd what's all the fuss about having to be on the first lift?
The ski company staff and their mates will have all been up and got the first tracks anyway Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc,
Quote:

I just have a hard time understanding people harbouring so much "hate" about other people's habit...
You're right - I don't really! In fact, the only thing that really winds me up on ski slopes is being knocked over, the rest tends to go pretty much over my head, beyond a feeling of minor irritation; particularly since I probably have dozens of habits which annoy others (including faffing about in gondolas.)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
the rest tends to go pretty much over my head

Time for a height gag..? Nah I'll leave it. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tiffin, you're right - most things go over my head. Laughing
snow report
Hurtle, and me too, I sometimes look at those height charts for children by the side of chair lifts and think they apply to me ...
snow report
Chairlift for me!! especially if its a nice new one with a cover!
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, having mini-piste maps on the safety bar of chairlifts (common in US/Canada apparently, and witnessed at one or two european resports) could possibly be the greatest convenience invention since velcro.
ski holidays
Batman_123 wrote:

Never go skiing with my dad! Ex-geography teacher insists on knowing where exactly he is on the piste map almost every time he stops. To be fair I think he's only using it as an excuse for a rest. I know watski and kwacka were bemused by it on the bash last year.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, my dad would be the same if he skied, he used to be an RAF Aircraft Technician so he likes to be... precise and always right! Mad

It depends on how long the lift is but chairlifts will always be favoured with me unless its windy with no visibilty! Skullie
snow conditions
Chairlift - ski in, have a chat on the way up, ski out.

Gondola - ski up, take off skis, tramp up to queue, inch forward, mad panic of numpties, modern skis often don't fits slots, sardine impression, hilarious exit procedure/panic, tramp along, always seems to be a flat bit outside filled with people with negative spacial awareness, walk 20 yards and I hate walking one foot holding skis, put skis on, ski off.

This is a no contest. Gondola TKO in the first round.
snow conditions
Agreed, Nickski. Then, if you include chairs with heated seats and bubbles, like they have in Lech and Zurs, then it becomes a slam-dunk. Cool
snow report
The comings and goings in La Plagne about Montalberts new Gondola have had people saying that it is to be a Gondola (rather than a chair) as a matter of prestige Confused

Is a Gondola really more Prestigious for the local Mayor/Resort Puzzled
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:

I remember when being in Westendorf and someone commenting about that assertion, it seemed at the time it put the resort on a different level. Now we're talking here about ten years ago ..... Has the public (town council) perception of what's good and best not moved on, certainly skiers has.

Look at it from a public official's point of view big shiny new building and gondola or bog standard chair lift. I accept that many gondolas these days don't come complete with a building!
snow report
Boredsurfing, is it not more about being able to get people back into resort if the weather or snow is bad-it gives beginers the chance to ski higher and still be able to get back.......if you look at how Champagny has developed the gondola has a signigicant influence
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
The comings and goings in La Plagne about Montalberts new Gondola have had people saying that it is to be a Gondola (rather than a chair) as a matter of prestige Confused

Gondolas are often a necessity to towns or villages due to lack of reliable season long snow cover at the lower elevation. So some towns need the the gondoa so they can claim to be the ski resort rather than some remote adjunct to the community. Wise skiers know this when appraising promises of ski in/out.
snow conditions
Gondola. Detachable chairlifts are merely cheap Gondolas snowHead

(although i naturally prefer detachable Pomas draglifts and cable cars best of all!)
snow conditions
chairlift for me.. and being a tad claustrophobic i dont even like the cover being down, if the weather is bad then you should have worn the right clobber wink .. gondolas are ok but its a bit vexing when its quiet and people squeeze in one gondola where there is no Q at all
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy