Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coaching (in another sport)

Poster: A snowHead
Today in the Sunday Times I read the 'England Football Postmortem' and came across:

Quote:
"...the manager would tape training sessions and then point out mistakes in a video session. Senior players believed these sessions undermined confidence."

If true, that doesn't half raise a few questions all around... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you think it's just the 'point out mistakes' bit that undermined confidence, rather than the video-ing as such? If that's all the manager did, it might indeed do so. Surely good coaching should include a modicum of encouragement as well, shouldn't it?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scheisse (damn you profanity filter!) Sandwhich 'em!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle, maybe, but professional athletes who presumably participate in an ongoing coaching program with their clubs Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
david@mediacopy, umm, don't know... Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd be surprised if top premiership players don't get their own personalised OPTA videos after every game to enable them to analyse their performance. If there is anything in the story its maybe about public shaming rather than use of video as a tool.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
video analysis and critique is a fundemental part of coaching whatever the sport...bunch over over paid under performing premadonas rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM wrote:
video analysis and critique is a fundamental part of coaching whatever the sport

Couldn't agree more
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
Surely good coaching should include a modicum of encouragement as well, shouldn't it?
Absolutely, even if understated. Coaching is about the positive. Instead of criticising, point out how something can be improved, suggest an alternative way of doing things etc etc.

Yes the occaisional blast is required but negative coaching is old school. Some may say that old scjool is the best but this really is not the case in the sport I am involved with. Coaching methods have improved beyond recognition in the past few years.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My assumption (!) when making the op is that the coaches involved will be of a high standard.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a time and a place for everything!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i should expand as the previous post was put up while i was rushing out of the office this morning.... if there is nothing positive in the video then you can't pick positives out of it, if all that is seen is bad technique etc then what else is a coach to do...saying negative coaching is old school is obviously not written from a coaching perspective, or it if was it was from an old school coach

i get the feeling the original information has been edited to suit the media,
Quote:

Quote:
"...the manager would tape training sessions and then point out mistakes in a video session suggesting ways where improvements could be made and explaining why the mistakes were present. Senior players believed these sessions undermined confidence."

bold italics my suggestion of what could have been said yet wasn't printed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are many different types of athlete and a good coach should be able to adapt to the athletes demands. A coach should be able to tailor a program and feedback on the psychological profile of an athlete. From a personal perspective I responded very well to "negative feedback" or as I would prefer to say constructive criticism. I would find this kind of feedback extremely motivating, although I am aware that this coaching style didn’t always work for others and caused them to become de motivated.

There are three different learning styles and are referred to as the visual learner, the auditory learner and the kinesthetic/tactic learner. Everyone will learn partly from all of these but most people will tend to have a quicker rate of improvement if the coach can identify which of these will guide the athlete/learner to success. There are lots of questionnaires on the internet you can use to help discover what learning style suits you. A lot of clubs will get athletes to complete one of these once a year.

I imagine it is hard in a team sport to meet every player’s preferred coaching style and is very different to individual sports. From an outside view on team sports, is it not possible to run video sessions concentrated on individual performances for those who thrive on this? Then you could allow those who don’t to just participate in team video sessions that benefit the team as a whole?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure your right.........the media usually only tell half the story!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jjc, I suspect that from a team point view, part of the video sessions would have a tactical bias, focusing on movement pattens for the team as a whole.

As an aside I recall listening to an interview with an American footballer who was over during the 6 nations. He pointed out some interesting differences in the respective build up to a match over the week. As you would imagine, Video played a big part for the Americans, and they didn't do as much intensive training pre match.
latest report
I paid extra to be videod during a recent skiing lesson. Which obviously shows that I agree with CEM and other members about the importance of video analysis.

PS- Wonder what other excuses "senior players" would come up with next...
snow report
Turns'n'turns wrote:
I paid extra to be videod during a recent skiing lesson. Which obviously shows that I agree with CEM and other members about the importance of video analysis.

PS- Wonder what other excuses "senior players" would come up with next...

Its not really a story about the players though is it, we have no real way of knowing what the objective facts are, but we do know the press has an extended interest in prolonging the inquest at least until Premier League hype kicks up again. There are no doubt some pampered egos in the England camp but no different to any international football team. Personally if I was Capello I'd be ruthless in a clear out with the criterion being - if there is any doubt you'll still be performing at international level in 4 years time, you're out. If you don't like the way we do things- you're out.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Personally if I was Capello I'd be ruthless in a clear out with the criterion being - if there is any doubt you'll still be performing at international level in 4 years time, you're out. If you don't like the way we do things- you're out.

I'd agree with that.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Personally if I was Capello I'd be ruthless in a clear out with the criterion being - if there is any doubt you'll still be performing at international level in 4 years time, you're out.

I guess it depends on how much you value the European championship - would you just use that as tournament practice for the world cup? That's assuming England actually qualify for it, of course.
snow report
CEM wrote:
...............bunch over over paid under performing premadonas rolling eyes rolling eyes

Enough about spyderman and boredsurfin, what do you think of the English footballers?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy