Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Luxury upgrades on chalet holidays - advice wanted

Poster: A snowHead
holidayloverxx, what's that got to do with the price of beans?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Masque, are you going to be in Tignes in December? Will there be other snowHeads there? I've signed up for an Inspired to Ski course, starting on the 5th - 'twould be nice to meet up to ski with others in the half-days when we're not being instructed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
b]Hurtle[/b], that's the plan, to get my legs into some semblance of ski fit before the season . . and to see some friends in the UK
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, There is a group from 9th -12th Dec but the chalet is/was full

Hurtle, is your course all day/all week?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx, I want the week before, I'll mail Joanne.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi all,

Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions - much appreciated.

I think prehaps I'm confused things by throwing luxury in there - many apologies! The company, and the chalet, are intended to be good mid-range options, not high end - think Inghams rather than Scott Dunn. The upgrades are then a chance for clients to book and pay for additional items seperately which would add value to their stay.

So, the draft list at the end of play today stands at:

- overnight ski and board waxing
- posh packed lunches
- in chalet massage
- An English newspaper delivered to your door
- helicopter transfer from Chambery

clarky999, I love your raindeer ride suggestion the best - and i would definitely book this on my own holidays - unfortunately the logistics . . . . .

oes anyone have any other thoughts / ideas / suggestions?

Many thanks again for all of your feedback - hugely helpful.

Heather
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow and Sunshine, on your website you say
"The chalet is located right next to the piste too - so that you can practically ski to the door."
How close is "practically ski to the door"? If it means you could ski through the door if there was snow on the step, then ignore what I'm going to say Cool
but I've met with and skied with people who's idea of total luxury would be to have someone take their skis from the ski room and put them down on the snow so all they have to do is stagger outside and clip their boots in... Depends on your exact location as to whether this would be something that people would pay extra for, or not.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SaraJ, I have seen a big posh car stop near the ski lifts. A liveried chauffeur opened the passenger door for his passenger. The chauffeur then gets skis and stuff out of the car's boot. He places skis on the snow and hands over the poles. He then steadies the overly pampered guest as he puts on the skis. Guest and chauffeur go their separate ways. The whole thing was repeated the next morning, and the next!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think an "Inghams style" chalet which provides half weekly towel changes and en suite bathrooms as extras should encourage the kind of guests who want someone to lay their skis on the snow ready for them to click in. they'd be a total nightmare. that sort of service costs thousand of pounds a week, not a few extra quid.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all,

To get to the piste from the chalet, you open the door, cross the road and parking space and put your skis on. So, probably not really suitible for the chauffer - although if it was possible to get one just for me that would be awesome!

Best wishes,

Heather
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the chauffeur point I've always quite fancies the idea of a ski caddy who'd carry my quiver around all day and give me the appropriate pair of skis for the task in hand. Even better if he'd give me a tow on any skins or hikes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow and Sunshine, just wanted to say I like your reworked list so far. Again, I agree with the notion that the term "luxury" is probably not quite right, but that's semantics and I'm sure you'll work it out. A couple of comments;

If you're going to offer a helicopter service then could you also offer a private transfer? Seems a little more likely you could get some genuine business from this. Out of interest, how much would a helicopter xfer work out?!

And I had a thought; do you have any way of providing a cold beer to your guests? Typically in a chalet I'd probably just visit the supermarket but depending on where you're located compared to the shops is it worth offering your guests the option of providing a cold beer or two at the end of a ski day? Its certainly not a luxury upgrade but maybe quite a handy one.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Much better to label them as 'optional extras' rather than 'luxury upgrades' Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Love the idea of beer being on offer.

The last 2 chalet trips I've been on the chalets have been a bit of a trek to the supermarkets and it's been a bit awkward to get beer. I far prefer to drink beer with my meal and afterwards than wine.

You could buy it at the cash and carry, sell it at the village supermarket prices and make a profit. Plus there would be less wine drunk. Everyone is a winner Happy

In a chalet of 24 there will always be those who would appreciate the service.

Other points - which I think have been mentioned - a proper gallery plus photos or map indicating the lifts and location in village.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

You could buy it at the cash and carry, sell it at the village supermarket prices and make a profit.

Chalets I stayed at in the past always did this - it was a bit of extra cash for the chalet staff. They did mixers (tonic etc) for drinking with the duty frees, too.
snow report
That's my (limited) experience too, either that or a bit of a bar.
snow conditions
Yup, honesty bars, went down well at the start of the week until the guests discovered spar wasn't actually that much further away and walkable from the chalet...

If you do go the beer route, don't price the beers too high. A TO I worked for gave us a bar target to hit and set beers at a price more expensive than the bar just over the road from the chalet, the close proximity of which was one of the highlighted selling points in the brochure!
ski holidays
" The Hosting Service " - Initially I thought this was referring to a "Ski Hosting" service, but no it's what chalet hosts do as standard. You could do " Ski Hosting" as an one of your extras though. How about providing your contact details with a fixed telephone - or is this another optional extra?
ski holidays
Snow and Sunshine, I think you're limiting it in the right way and it is best to avoid the word "luxury". One man's luxury will be a given for someone else.

Some great ideas from people here but, without wanting to come across as a killjoy, be careful re legal requirements for some (e.g. licence requirements to sell beers and the potential can of worms that is ski hosting.). Season one keep it simple and try and ensure you are giving your guests more than they expect.

I'd agree that you need a fixed phone number too - mobile could put people off. Have a look at UK2 numbers or similar. Very easy to get an 0845 number that routes to your mobile (or get a SKYPE number).
snow report
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
So, the draft list at the end of play today stands at:

- overnight ski and board waxing
- posh packed lunches
- in chalet massage
- An English newspaper delivered to your door
- helicopter transfer from Chambery

Be “very” careful about the helicopter transfers.

The crucial thing to remember is the phrase “significant component”. Of course this is subjective but it only takes a client to say that they would not have booked if the helicopter transfer was not there to make it “significant”

If you offer a package which includes a flight and accommodation, where the flight is a "significant component" and the payment included both the flight and other services, you’ll need an ATOL licence and you’ll also need to adhere to all the other travel trade regulations.

Of course if there helicopter transfer was paid for separately –outside of the UK - you probably not need and ATOL.

Remember that at the moment everything is rosy but if you have a client that Throws a Pandora on you, you’ll need to make sure you have done “everything” by the book. If you haven’t they will take the time to find out and you’ll have a problem.

Even if you are not a UK registered company and are operating the flights outside the UK, if you offer flight inclusive packages to UK residents you’ll need an ATOL if the flight is a significant component of the tour

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 9-07-10 13:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
......but if you have a client that Throws a Pandora on you.......

Laughing
ski holidays
Blimey £1200.00 pp at half term and New Year! That's competing against the likes of VIP in resorts such as Val and Meribel (there prices are around £1600/1700 incl flights). I have to say that the decor would need to be far plusher and the facilities far greater to make this competitive. It's always hard as every company promises great food but you need to be at the very top of your game to get those prices and as a new venture you need people to come through thr door so for the first few seasons you can only be looking at minimal profits. This is the old Finlays chalet isn't it? They were selling this for for around £550.00 pp including flights for last season, yes they went pop but they were also around for around 25 years and I did a lot of business with them. i honestly think these prices need drastically looking at. From my perspective within the industry 90% of teh market place is price driven at the moment. Take everyone on this site, it's a good reflection. I think very few would pay these prices for Les Coches. people paying £900.00 for a week are not going to want pack lunches, they'll have a nice meal in a restaraunt. Sorry to sound harsh....
snow conditions
ctskifam wrote:
Season one keep it simple and try and ensure you are giving your guests more than they expect.

Sounds like really good advice...
latest report
Another point, unless you have altered the layout - the bedrooms are not all ensuite. Finlay has this sleeping 18-21 and you now have it for 24? the luxury extras you list should all be included at those prices. being charged £15.00 for a midweek towell change?????
latest report
Hi all,

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions - after a while of staring at the screen your eyes start to go cross eyed so it's really helpful to have an external view!

ctskifam, you're absolutely right about the ski hosting and it is something which has become more and more of an issue in the Tarentaise over the last few years which is why I've decided not to offer it. Don't think the service looks too hot when you're being shouted at by instructors! The chalet will be licensed to serve and sell beer and wine but not spirits.

Morrissey, Thanks for the comments on the pricing and the chalet. Just to clear up the confusion about bedrooms - Chalet Campanules is an ex-Finlays chalet but it is being extensively improved and renovated over the summer, including creating a TV room and office area with wifi and refurbishing some of the staff accom to make guest rooms as Finlays had staff from other chalets living there too.

If you have a copy of their last years Finlays' brochure this would be hugely helpful - I've been looking for one for ages and not been able to find it. My understanding though is that price wise, it was the low weeks which Finlays were selling for £550 rather than the high weeks. The pricing for Ice and Fire's low weeks are in line with this at £450 not including flights, but unfortuantely it is a part of the industry that peaks weeks are significantly more expensive as that is when there is most demand.

Thanks again everyone for all of the ideas, suggestions and advice - website updates on the schedual for today!

Heather
latest report
I think, Snow and Sunshine, that no brochure is available. I have an email from Finlays Skiing, dated Tuesday 7 July 2009. It says, in part:
Finlays skiing wrote:
We asked all our guests this year whether they were happy just using our web site or whether they still wanted to receive a brochure. The overwhelming majority opted for the web site. Therefore we will not be publishing a brochure for next season. This is a big change for us and we will certainly review this decision at the end of the winter season to see if it has been a success. So...no glossy brochure from us this month.
Last winter we booked from the extensive information on their website. A lot of that info is still on their website.
snow conditions
Thanks for the post - that explains why I haven't been able to find anyone with a copy!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy