Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI courses

Poster: A snowHead
hi - i'm new to this forum and not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seemed the most likely.

i am thinking of doing a BASI level 1 course at the snowdome. I was once told that this qualification didnt allow you to teach out on the mountain unless you were supervised by as level 2 or higher - but some friends of mine have done the level 1 course and have been employed by skiing europe last season and the one before and have been teaching groups of skiiers out on the mountain on their own.

first i wondered if there was any insurance issue here and second i wondered what BASIs view on level 1 instructors teaching on the mountain would be? if i get my BASI level 1 can i teach or not ?

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BASI's Level 1 does not qualify you to teach on the mountain. It qualifies you to teach in a "closed environment" only, i.e. a snowdome or a artificial slope. I don't think you will be covered by BASI's liability insurance (nor by any company employing you as an L1 teaching on the mountain) should you be sued.

PS, welcome to snowHeads.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks rob@rar - like i said i have some mates who are BASI 1 and are teaching on the mountain with skiing europe and they have met quite a few other BASI 1 instructors doing the same thing.
like i said i thought they weren't allowed to so i am surprised first that people are employing them and second that they are even applying for work knowing they shouldn't be doing it. i'd think they could be in trouble with BASI for doing this? Any BASI officials on here would like to comment?

if their student had a bad accident then i suppose the instructor would have no insurance cover unless they took out third party themselves. Though this could be invalidated because they weren't allowed to teach then?

I was hoping to do my L1, then my L2 straight away, maybe in switzerland but thought there was no point in doing L2 if i can get the same work with L1.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
namwons, as Rob suggests and you allude to, there is an Insurance issue, but it's all about where the buck stops. In this case it's going to depend on the Employee Liability insurance of the company you mention, and the assumptions the issuer is making. However, it's not clear cut as I am aware of an employee liability insurer covering L1's to teach in a mountain environment - BUT it was not a UK insurance company.

In terms of professionalism, it's not what the qualification is designed for.

Quote:
i wondered what BASIs view on level 1 instructors teaching on the mountain would be?

They are the best ones to ask. Give them a shout: BASI / Morlich House / 17 The Square / Grantown-on-Spey / PH26 3HG +44 (0)1479 861 717
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
without saying that you SHOULD be trying to teach on mountain, you CAN probably avoid getting sued by ensuring that the contract between yourself and your students is appropriately drafted - by getting acknowledgement that skiing/mountains are dangerous, conditions unpredictable, etc and exclude liability for all sorts of things (including, even, negligence on your part - but not "gross negligence"); note that just like driving while uninsured does NOT automatically mean you were negligent in, say, causing an accident, teaching while only having BASI 1 does NOT automatically mean you would be regarded as having been negligent if someone was injured on mountain. You should not, however, hold yourself out as being "fully qualified" to teach on mountain.

remember though: free legal advice is worth what you pay for it, and the laws relating to personal liability in e.g. France or Austria are likely to be different from those in England/Scotland.

You'd probably get paid more and get more satisfaction getting your BASI 2 also.

good luck with whatever you decide.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
namwons, I also know one L1 who taught in Switzerland and another who taught in Austria (although neither of them got many hours during the season and had to take other jobs, one cleaning chalets the other doing bar work, in order to earn enough money). Skiing Europe seem to be employing unqualified instructors - not fair on their clients IMO, and not fair on their instructors in the event of legal action where I don't think they will have any liability cover.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boardiac wrote:
... you CAN probably avoid getting sued by ensuring that the contract between yourself and your students is appropriately drafted - by getting acknowledgement that skiing/mountains are dangerous, conditions unpredictable, etc and exclude liability for all sorts of things (including, even, negligence on your part - but not "gross negligence");

That might be possible if the contract is between you and the client directly, but I think it is extremely unlikely that it will be. The contract will be between the ski school and the client. The ski school will have liability insurance - this may or may not specify that the instructors have to be qualified. If it does specify that the instructor must be qualified a Level 1 licence will not be deemed sufficient (because the issuing body, BASI, will state that it is for closed environments only).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boardiac wrote:
You'd probably get paid more and get more satisfaction getting your BASI 2 also.

Probably a more important point than the issue of liability. There's a big step up from L1 to L2, in terms of personal skiing as well as teaching skills, so I'd bite the bullet and plan on doing both courses. It will equip you better to teach (as well as properly qualifying you teach in the mountains) as well as developing your own skiing much more than just the L1 alone.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boardiac, I agree with your comments about negligence. I think the insurance issue is only half the story, with the other half being breach of 'local' laws regarding ski teaching, something BASI allude to in their communication. And of course trying to ID exactly what the local legal situation is in the Valley can be pretty tricky, even if you think you are appropriately qualified.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks for the replies - i'm not actually sure that skiing europe even check people's qualifications so there might even be an issue with people lying about what level theyve got !
Apart from people i know i think they employ quite a few other BASI 1 instructors and let them out on their own with clients though i dont know if skiing europe know this and maybe more immportant i don't know if there clients know this either. I don't know if other companies do this but my feeling was why go to all the trouble and expense of getting L2 when i can teach the couple of weeks a year i'm available with a L1 but i do appreciate your comments about doing L2
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's probably worth a reminder that you are still personally responsible for your clients. If your insurance is invalid (or you have none) then you are still responsible and they may still claim against you personally - and take any assets you have. Also, it is law in this country that no clause in any contract may seek to limit responsibility for death.

These days, if you are in a dangerous environment with any group of people (whether paid clients or even just friends) and you have a greater knowledge of that environment then you are legally responsible for their welfare. If one of them has an accident then they (or a relative) may have a claim for damages against you personally. If you have a relevant qualification then you have some clearly identifiable knowledge.

The BMC covered this some time ago in their Summit magazine.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
altis, Good info. I must have a word with my SPA qualified 'mate' who let me fall off the other week Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
While I was doing my Level 1 at the Chill Factore I met a young woman with an SPA. Although a keen climber she now refuses to go out with her university climbing club because of the responsibility I detailed above.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sounds a bit scarey altis.. that could apply to lots of situations, even climbing a ladder!

can anyone answer this.. are BASI L1 told they can't teach on the mountain & are therefore going against BASI edicts if they do... & does it matter to BASI - like i mean, are you going to get in trouble if they find out ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As Rob@rar states, BASI 1 does NOT qualify you to teach on snow in a mountain environment. If you check directly with BASI they will confirm this. They will also confirm that if you do teach say for instance in Switerland, then you will not be covered by BASI's liability insurance, and you will be flouting local regulations. BASI will not support you in the event of an accident where you may be held personally liable. Teaching school kids is coming under increasing regulation and scrutiny. I have had to take over several classes this season where BASI 1s were found to be teaching. In all honesty it's far better for you and your class if you are properly qualified.
ski holidays
namwons, BASI won't care what you do, it's not up to them. But don't expect them to provide any professional support if something terrible happens, because you will be teaching outside the remit of your licence.
latest report
ok guys - thanks for the replies.. i'll probably look into doing the L2 as well then as after what you said it seems to me that it's pretty irresponsible & quite risky to be out teaching on the mountain when you aren't properly qualified to do it..
latest report
just got this from BASI :

Thank you for your email. The BASI Level 1 Instructor Qualification is purely an indoor qualification and people should not be able to work in an outdoor/snow environment with this endorsement. In terms of public liability whilst teaching, these people are not insured to work in such conditions.

So, NO you are not allowed to teach in the mountains with a BASI level 1 qualification. There are insurance issues – ie – you would not get public liability insurance whilst teaching. BASI will continue to provide this qualification SOLELY as an indoor qualification and the first step to getting your alpine Level 2 qualification which is the MINIMUM requirement for any member to work in a ski school overseas.
snow report
namwons wrote:
ok guys - thanks for the replies.. i'll probably look into doing the L2 as well then as after what you said it seems to me that it's pretty irresponsible & quite risky to be out teaching on the mountain when you aren't properly qualified to do it..

very sensible decision
latest report
namwons, good on you for seeking "official" clarification. BASI are very clear on this and always have been, however, certain BASI level 1 instructors and certain School Ski Trip companies are still happy to put themselves and most importantly their clients at risk.

From your perspective, gaining your BASI level 2 will enhance your personal skiing/teaching skills.....and allow you to legitimately teach in the mountains.

Good luck......
snow report
If Basi had left the Level 1 as the Trainee instructor course this problem would not arise because the current Level 1's would not be as easily recognised as instructors. Realistically these companies that use Level 1 instructors get away with it as their clients do not understand the Basi qualification system, to them an instructor is an instructor. It also can't help Basi's reputation in these places, some of the instructors that you see giving lessons are really not fit to be there. I encountered some shockers last year including one instructor who could not handle a bit of bumpy slush on a blue and another who openly admitted that they don't ski red runs as they find them too difficult. What happens when they are teaching in non perfect snow or if they have to ski backwards to help a client? Not sure I agree with non trainer's being allowed to teach in old Basi trainer jackets either, especially as it always seems to be the ones teaching the school groups.

namwons, go for the L2, it will open up many more opportunities for you with regards to employment in ski schools. Not many will touch you with just a L1. Good luck
latest report
Quote:

Not sure I agree with non trainer's being allowed to teach in old Basi trainer jackets either,

with you on that...BASI should just burn the suits when they are done or remove all the logos etc and give them to a charity or whatever....mind you not sure they will have much luck selling off the current design Laughing Laughing
snow report
CEM wrote:
not sure they will have much luck selling off the current design Laughing Laughing

Laughing
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
CEM wrote:
not sure they will have much luck selling off the current design Laughing Laughing

Laughing

It's a bit moody isn't it? Same as the Finnish Team Jacket isn't it? BASI said in a newsletter that they would be selling un-logo'd ones to members. Haven't seen it advertised, obviously no demand.
Easy to spot a Trainer now though, nobody would wear that Jacket if they didn't have to.
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
Quote:

Not sure I agree with non trainer's being allowed to teach in old Basi trainer jackets either,

with you on that...BASI should just burn the suits when they are done or remove all the logos etc and give them to a charity or whatever....

Also agree.
snow conditions
Quote:

It also can't help Basi's reputation in these places, some of the instructors that you see giving lessons are really not fit to be there.

yeah i thought that LaserStock and i was surprised from BASI reply that they didn't seem that bothered about it as it could undermine their instructors credibility.
snow report
namwons wrote:
hi - i'm new to this forum and not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seemed the most likely.

i am thinking of doing a BASI level 1 course at the snowdome. I was once told that this qualification didnt allow you to teach out on the mountain unless you were supervised by as level 2 or higher - but some friends of mine have done the level 1 course and have been employed by skiing europe last season and the one before and have been teaching groups of skiiers out on the mountain on their own.

first i wondered if there was any insurance issue here and second i wondered what BASIs view on level 1 instructors teaching on the mountain would be? if i get my BASI level 1 can i teach or not ?

thanks

May be wrong here wink
But you don't work for another schools ski TO do you ?
Just sounds a little bit "diggy" for a 1st post
snow conditions
Wayne, Madeye-Smiley I didn't like to say...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dig away, skiing europe is a cr*p outfit and uses under and unqualified teachers where they teach. if i was a parent of a student on one of their tours i wouldnt be happy
latest report
Quote:

May be wrong here wink
But you don't work for another schools ski TO do you ?
Just sounds a little bit "diggy" for a 1st post

sorry to disappoint you but afraid you are wrong.. i'm not qualified (yet) and i work in a bank.. sorry.... Are you a policeman??

all i was wondering is if it was even worth doing L2 (its expensive and i don't get much holiday) when i can apparently get lots of work with L1. thankfully some of the members here have given me good advice wink

skimottaret - is it only skiing europe that empploy L1 then? i thought there were others too but i dont know which ones
latest report
namwons wrote:
sorry to disappoint you but afraid you are wrong.

Not disappointed. No thoughts or interest either way. Just seemed a little strange to slag of a TO in a round-a-bout sort of way as a 1st post.
As far as I can tell the TO you refer to does seem to be, as you say, using unqualified instructors (L1 is unqualified in the areas they operate). This coupled with other points, like no ATOL logo when they offer flights, etc, etc does seem to say something about them, not sure what though. Guess it's up to the clients to check them out fully before they book

namwons wrote:
Are you a policeman??

No, like many people on here I'm a (qualified) ski instructor
ski holidays
namwons, just to clairfy the reply you got from BASI, the L1 qualifies you to teach on articifical slopes, not just indoors. So you can work outdoors on dry slopes too.

Definitely worth progressing to your L2, and essential if you want to teach in the mountains. Don't view it as using up your holidays, it's a very enjoyable course!
ski holidays
coming in a bit late on this one but i would say any instructor who applies for a job knowing they aren't qualified to do it is being dishonest and deserve any trouble they might find themselves in. I would have thought BASI would take a dim view of their instructors doing this...

Do the L1 & L2 namwons.. you'll have fun doing them, make new friends and be able to teach with a clear conscience & confidence in your own ability Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy