Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sella Ronda - Canazei/Selva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at brochures for next year. Has anyone skied here? What's it like? Snowsure? Suitable for early intermediates?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in 2004 in Arabba. the Dolomites are notoriously bad when it comes to snow reliability but the scenery and ambience are second to none. the pistes are all pretty easy and would be no problem for an intermediate. I booked the trip last minute after checking that there was snow and would strongly recommend you do the same. there are plenty of TOs going to the area and you should be able to bag a good deal. Everyone should see/ski the Dolomites once in their life!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowsure's not the first thing that springs to mind unfortunately. It's the most visually impressive place I've ever skied bar none. Book late like snowman suggests.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, Boring as hell from what I heard, depends if your apres is as important as your skiing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee, 'Boring as hell' and your going to Reading!! Good luck and enjoy the IDR Girl Laughing

CP
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There was a bit of duscussion about Canazei in an earlier thread, although I didn't go there in the end: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=11934&highlight=canazei#11934
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jb1970, Very suitable for intermediates that want to put some miles under their skis. The Sella Ronda makes a great day out, providing the snow is okay. The scenery and ambiance ( already been said I know ) is unbeatable as well.

Go over to Google and do a search on newsgroup rec.skiing.resorts.europe on 'hidden valley' to get a flavour.

CP
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CP, have you not got some stones to polish up your way? NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
More on the Dolomites if not those particular resorts in these previous threads.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=76611&highlight=corvara#76611
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=33756&highlight=corvara#33756

Snow sure it's not - but it's a great area if you get lucky. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having been to Arabba 2x (2003 & 2004) and I would dispute the comment about the area being unreliable for snow. The whole area has invested heavily in snow making and combined with good piste maintenance keep the runs in excellent condition. I would suggest that you have a better chance of everything being open on the Sella Ronda than in other ski areas in a bad snow year. I would suspect that if you were looking for extensive off-piste you would have been limited though - but that would be the case in any resort in a bad snow year (... or even if it just hasn't snowed for a week or two)!

Arabba in particular has predominantly North Facing Slopes and if you take a look at the following Webcam I would say pretty much all runs are still open. http://www.skiinfo.it/webcams/detail_big.jsp?product.skiinfo.webcams.WEBCAMID=4065&product.skiinfo.DESTID=EITARABBA

The good thing about the Sella Ronda is that you can get to different areas very quickly and can seek out the better snow conditions - the route takes you over 4 passes into 4 different valleys which can often have totally different weather.

I would suggest that you consider either Arabba or Selva becasue the skiing in the Alta Badia (Corvara) area is predominantly blues with far too much poling involved for my liking - and Canazei has always seemed to have had the worst natural snow coverage (and easy runs again).

I would agree that for scenery and general ambience you cannot beat it - and mountain eateries Very Happy

Beware the nay-sayers lamenting poor lift systems, queues and terrible snow. For some reason there are guide books which still persist in talking about horrendous queues and poor lifts. Contrary to some things I have read (even recently), you can do the Sella Ronda in both directions without using a drag lift. Despite going in half terms on both occasions, the only queue we encountered was at a two man chair lift at about 10:30am on a Sunday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
agavin, Come to think of it you are right re the snowsure. I did 4 years running from 1995 at Arabba and never had a problem with the Sella Ronda being closed or lack of snow.

The lift system must have been improved if you can now get round without using a drag lift. I am sure the T bar is still there that you have to use to get back to Arabba from the Campolongo direction up to Bec de Roces .

I think it is time for a revisit.

CP
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CP, I know the T-bar you are talking about - it was the one with a button lift in parallel? That was replaced last season with a 2 man chair - unfortunately not quite a state of the art chair, but a chair nevertheless - that drag was VERY long. I fell off that T-bar the 1st time I went there, and thinking I was at the brow of the hill and nearly at the top proceeded to walk up it, only to encounter another brow, and another brow etc. Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
agavin, I don't remember there being a button lift in parallel. There was lift equipment laying alongside the T bar in kit form, but it was there for at least the last two years I skied there. Sounds like it did eventually get installed, then both it and the T bar replaced with a chair. It used to be a real bad bottleneck from mid afternoon onwards.

My buddy Brooksie will know the lift I am referring to as it is likely we may be talking at cross purposes. If your there Mark please help?

CP
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stayed just outside Canazei in Alba.

Dolomites is not snow sure - but, with decent cover, the whole circuit is fine for intermediates.

You can also get over to Cortina and the lovely run down from Laguzoi (spelling may be different) beautiful frozen waterfalls and a enterpring band with horses and long ropes wait at the bottom to drag skiers along the flat section back to civilisation for a modest sum. You can do the trip under your under steam on skis - but some tour operators offer it as a day out, via coach.

Apres ski was not a major concern of mine.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy