Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best mountain restaurant in the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Dr John, yep that was my recollection... wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assuming I was a millionaire....

Chez Vrony in Zermatt for the Bloody Mary soup, Fluhalp in Zermatt for the pasta, and the brand spanking new Cervo on the Sunnegga side for...everything. My fellow instructors tell me the girls there are the best on the mountain, if that's a factor!

...and after a couple of seasons, I have ditched Chalet Etoile for a far superior lunch, Italian side - Bontadini! Keep it secret though guys, don't want it getting busy or I might not get a table. NehNeh It's also a lot better priced and has a self service terrace, so when I'm free skiing or with friends, it's a great lunch spot.

La Vaca in Flims/Laax for the steak - and eating in a teepee is always a winner!

Kulm in Klosters/Davos (it's actually in Wolfgang, between the two) is always yummy, and the staff are lovely too. Shame it's at the bottom, so it means getting a train back to either Klosters or Davos to go back up - good for a late lunch though or meeting non skiers, and the 2 black runs that take you down to Wolfgang are personal favourites - one beautiful and winding through the trees, the other mogully and challenging for strong leg days!

Sadly, I am a lowly instructor, so can only go when taken by lovely lovely guests!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure of the name, but the restaurant at Val d'Isere at the foot of the Madeleine Express lift is an absolute cracker for a sunny day. It has a large terrace, great views, and a running bbq with all sorts of options on the grill, served with a huge jacket spud and salad. It's always fantastically busy, which I guess is a good testament to how good it is.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I'm using the criteria that I prefer restaurants where I can't so easily cook the food myself, to those where I (or TOH) can).

An important point. And as for all those "specials" where you actually have to cook the food yourself even when you're paying restaurant prices..... Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My favourite mountain restaurant is Les Vieilles Luges in Les Houches in the Chamonix Valley. All mains & desserts are deliciously home made. Cosy & charming atmosphere. Vin chaud simmers on the wooden fire in this 200 year old mountain farm and hot chocolate with marshmallows! Nice wine and cognac menu too. Friendly staff. Ideal for a long lunch. Must book a table though. Mmmm Bliss.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tooorist, we've watched it under our boots a number of times. Maybe this year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Must say never had and issue at Chalet-Refuge... they were friendly and we laughed alot... One of a few that I rate.

Nice and off the beaten track, although one should reserve ahead of time...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tooorist, is that the little tiny place under the chairlift you need to ski through the trees to get to?

We tried to get in but hadn't booked. The smell, warmth, site of the food and overall ambience meant that clipping in outside with a rumbling tumb was not pleasant!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hii there,

I've recently read a great article about restaurants in the Alps. there are some pretty cool ideas and places with an amazing food and views I don't want to miss out Smile
Check it out - http://momentumski.com/favourite-mountain-restaurants-alps/[/url]
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@edna.m, you serve SPAM?

Not the most adventurous of articles in any way. I'd happily miss out on all of those in favour of my own favourites.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Worthy of Dr Frankenstein himself: revival of a thread that died 6 years ago.
I've only skimmed the original posts, but there is clearly for many a very different attitude to Mountain Restaurant than mine.
I go out on the mountain to ski, not to eat and drink.
And lunchtime, when all the lemmings go inside and transfer the queues from the lifts to restaurants, this is the very time to keep skiing.
So, a coffee and doughnut at 11am, then soup and hunk of bread (or tarte tatins with cream, or a waffle with icecream, depending on whim of the day) at 3pm is all that i need.
Why pay a fortune on a lift pass, and then waste the day sitting on your ar$e raising your cholesterol?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonpim, do you take children on your ski HOLIDAY?
I love a nice lunch with a great view with my family, it's one of the reasons to go. Equally if I have a boys weekend no time is wasted on lunch but always have good quality dinner ( in the evening )
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chez Pepe in the article is exactly the sort of place.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, on big ski days, absolutely with you.

Not all days are big ski days Happy some days are worthy of big lunches with excellent friends. Helps to live in the alps though...you takes them when you picks them wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As a keen forager the best restaurants close for the winter, but I know a few secret stashes where juniper berries can be found year round (with a little digging) and make a fine addition to a hip flask for lunch. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
macdonalds in zermatt Very Happy
latest report
Don't remember it's name, but the restaurant at the top of the series of chairlifts up from Plan Maison in Cervinia. The one where the little track goes over to Zermatt. It's never very busy, but the food is really good and the picture window gives a great view back down to the Aosta Valley. Chalet Etoile was good for sure, but I like to spread out a bit at lunch and it's way too crammed for that.

I love stopping at Ederalm in Saalbach when we are there in the summer - anyone been in winter, what's it like for a ski lunch?
ski holidays
There is a Swedish restaurant just off the piste in Nendaz, don't know it's name but the food is sublime. So good we went there twice in a week and it was well worth the 2 extra mortgages it cost me!
snow report
ChrisWo wrote:
under a new name, fair enough - I do remember thinking that the menu was quite limited. We got a pretty friendly welcome, but the place was quite quiet at the time. Having said that, I remember feeling much the same about the Cremerie - limited menu and not that amazing a welcome when we were last there (busy that time though).

Is Alpage de Balme the tiny place on the far side of Le Tour? Didn't stop there, but it looked pretty good.

Limited menu is the best sign if a good kitchen.
snow conditions
@mooney058, a reasonable point

That said, the referred to restaurant does croutes and only croutes unless by reservation and only then will they add ham sandwiches and soups.
snow report
Hotel Bellevue des Alpes at Kleine Scheidegg on a sunny day in February or March takes some beating. Lovely food, wine and service, with tables far apart and that wonderful view up to the Jungfrau and Silberhorn.
latest report
Ciao Pais in Sauze is one of my favourites.
snow conditions
Norrin Radd, children was long ago. Then it was anywhere that did chicken & chips..
under a new name, you're quite correct of course. There are days when skiing takes 2nd place. Those days we stay in bed with a box set and a big box of chocolates Little Angel
latest report
@chrisdavis, It's a measure of the quality and variety available that we've never bothered with the Ederalm. We use the Bergeralm, slightly higher up on the same piste. However there are quite a few others that rank very highly in our estimation, including Mama Thresl's Hendl Fischerei, the Asitzbraeu and the Alte Schmiede at Leogang, and the Hecherhuette above Viehhofen. I could name quite a few more.
snow conditions
@pam w, ...er...surely only one possible choice....Sami's brilliant conversion of the old Chetzeron lift station above Crans. 7000m.

my kids crash out on the sheepskins on the terrace and we slum it inside. Prices not too painful...or at least weren't until the pound turned into Monopoly money...

http://youtube.com/v/A62GWdIz3Qk

But then there's always the raclette shack over at Toula....cow shed in the summer... raclette at 5chf when the white stuff is on the hill....grief, last year we had a Michelin chef hiding in the tiny Violettes cabin, churning out amazing food at rock-bottom prices....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/destinations/find-switzerlands-real-gastronomic-action-high-up-in-the-slopes/article27525811/
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@chrisdavis, It's a measure of the quality and variety available that we've never bothered with the Ederalm. We use the Bergeralm, slightly higher up on the same piste. However there are quite a few others that rank very highly in our estimation, including Mama Thresl's Hendl Fischerei, the Asitzbraeu and the Alte Schmiede at Leogang, and the Hecherhuette above Viehhofen. I could name quite a few more.

We only go to Saalbach in Summer, so it's hard to gauge what they'll be like on a ski day. The guy in Ederalm's a legend - tell him when we are coming in again and he makes sure our choice of cake has been baked Cool
snow report
The restaurant at Alp Bella on the Swiss side of Ischgl's very good. Basically just rotisserie chicken but by god it's good rotisserie chicken!

There are many restaurants in the alps I've been to on one trip and gone back to on another. The Alp Bella is one we try to find reasons not to go every day of the trip!
ski holidays
swisssnowbunny wrote:
Assuming I was a millionaire....

Bontadini! Keep it secret though guys, don't want it getting busy or I might not get a table. NehNeh It's also a lot better priced and has a self service terrace, so when I'm free skiing or with friends, it's a great lunch

Shhhh!! wink

Anyone going with Crystal, the self-service accepts the discount card. Buy one between you, it will more than pay for itself.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hospitz Alm has been resting on it's laurels for 2 or 3 years now, distinctly unimpressed with standard fodder last visit. Wine still stunning though, obv.

Has to be Edelweiss Val d'Isere for me.
ski holidays
I'll nominate the Pinzgauer butte in Zell am See, mainly because you get towed back up to the slopes p, a dozen or so people at a time behind a snow mobile. Food and view is pretty decent too
latest report
Two favourites which stand out for me, Rud Alpe in Lech (great food at a very good price) and Chiecco in Courmayeur, not cheap but excellent food and some eye watering wine prices.
snow conditions
Chez Marie in Le Mirror, Ciao Pias. Also the place in Punta Jolanda above Gessoney. Spectacular terrace and a couple years there was a great band playing and would you believe FREE BEER! Only ever happened once.
ski holidays
La Loy in St Martin de Belleville, perfectly situated at the end of my favourite red run Jerusalem. Amazing views, food and service.
snow report
Chez Vrony in Zermatt, Chalet Etoile behind the mountain, le Pilatus in Courchevel... So many but so bad memory...
snow report
The following have been consistently good over the years.

Bel Air in Courcheval, love sitting outside and doing a bit of people watching along with the excellent food on offer.

Chez Vrony in Zermatt, really pricey but comes with a great view of the Matterhorn.
snow report
@TQA, +1
snow report
La Peau du Vache in Val d'Isere. Best burgers anywhere.
snow report
boabski wrote:
Hospiz Alm in St Christoph is pretty special

Food is good but turn up in a big party and you only get to eat what they chose for you 😐
snow conditions
Quote:

Ciao Pais in Sauze is one of my favourites.

Oh I'll second that - I was on a long weekend in Sestriere with a foody mate and we discovered Ciao Pais on the first day and kept going back despite the fact its hardly handy for Sestriere!

Anyone visiting in Les Contamines who is happy with a bit of offpiste should go to Auberge de Colombaz but do phone and book first otherwise you might be out of luck. Superb and very reasonable. You can get there by horse drawn sleigh if there is snow to the valley and sledge back down but that messes with your ski day.
latest report
@parlor, I've eaten at the first two. Mrs P likes the Cafe des Alpes. I prefer to eat food, rather than tease out the fifteen elusive flavours ingeniously packed into a tiny serving. As for Super St Bernard, the gondola has been closed down. I suppose you can still walk up and ski the itinerary down to Etroubles. I liked the Croix Blanche. But I haven't walked up to do the route.

I always think a big lunch in a mountain restaurant is a waste of good skiing time. I agree with the consensus: Zermatt has a lot of very good restaurants. I always enjoyed Staffelalp at the end of day's skiing. Usually just for a beer, but sometimes for Früchtekuchen also.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy