Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort jobs?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys! I'm new to Snowheads and it feels good.
I admit, I have a skiing problem - I am obsessed!!

This winter i've been wanting to get a job in a ski resort, so far i've applied for roughly 10 positions (ski reps, drivers, hosts, guides etc..)

I started this process yesterday and i've already been offered 2 interviews..

Here's the problem.. I live in GLASGOW and they offered me interviews in London and Manchester.

While I was applying I read through everything and no where did it tell me where they were based, so I applied regardless..

Does anybody know/applied to any jobs and been offered an interview at least in Scotland?

Also - Can anyone else recommend places to apply?

Thanks guys! I look foward to hearing from you all soon!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
baillie353, welcome to SnowHeads .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get on a coach.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What Whitegold, said. And welcome to snowheads.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
baillie353, I worked a season for a TO many years ago. I applied to most of them, got offered about 12 interviews, which were all in the southeast, so decided to go to 3 of them all on the same day so that I didn't have to travel down there more than once.

You might find a TO that operates from Scotland but as I recall most of them are in and around London. Most of them only offer flights from Gatwick or possibly Manchester too (with the exception of the 'big 4'). It's almost as if they don't recognise that there's anywhere outside of the M25!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
baillie353, Megabus to London for a quid.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
baillie353, Do you not want to leave Scotland? Looks like the answer is Aviemore then!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
baillie353, go to Manchester - it's the best option you're likely to get. More general information here: www.natives.co.uk
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the reason we interview in london and manchester is the fact that most people in the uk either live in south east or along the M62. Or they can can travel to either manchester on london from where they live.

Remember that interviews are costly in staff time and money so we put them on in places we know we will get the results from
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Or they can can travel to either manchester on london from where they live.

or if they can't, or won't, they probably lack initiative/drive or some other qualities essential to make a success of the job.

if they only lack money, they can hitch.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, are you recommending that course of action to young women?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, well, I did it when I was a young woman, though always with two of us. In the UK, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy. And I think the OP is probably a fella who doesn't want to do food prep/chalet cleaning. But I might be totally wrong, might be a girl who doesn't want to do food prep/chalet cleaning.

And before anyone says that life is more dangerous for young women now, I'm not convinced it's true. Just like it's not true that there are heaps more strangers preying on young kids.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're just more paranoid....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No need to hitch - mega bus for £1, treat yourself to 2 seats for extra room!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What kind of job are uou looking for?
snow report
baillie353, There is slavery advertised on TGR as well
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194938
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, you're nixmap & i claim my £5! Wink
latest report
sherlock235, Damn caught out at last! (But the difference is I pay my staff!)
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Missing a trick shirley

- Sick of city life? - live for free* in the beautiful West of England.
snow report
fatbob, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Thanks for all of the replies guys!

After a long day of thinking about it, I've accepted the interview for the 8th of July.
Flights for same day return are £42 and coach is almost the same price!

The price isn't the issue, it's the time to do it and it's my first experience applying for such a job and taking a risk of going to London for an interview! I just got scared a little!

However I have accepted and asked for more information on where in London etc etc so I can plan out my route!

The job role is Ski Representative for Directski;
http://www.directski.com/go/jobs

(Sorry if the above is considered advertising)
snow conditions
sherlock235 wrote:
Boredsurfing, you're nixmap & i claim my £5! Wink

Cant be, its Masque in a disguise.

or should that read the other way
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:

And work them 6 days a week too, so you can profit by it.. What a hero.
snow conditions
as a matter of interest, what are the going rates for these kinds of jobs? my kids are going to be looking for something like this is a year or two?
latest report
nixmap wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:

And work them 6 days a week too, so you can profit by it.. What a hero.

would somebody kick this joker out....i have yet to see evidence of any actual posting other than to promote his kook "job"..... take a hint mate
ski holidays
northernsoulboy, the going rate for unskilled staff seems to be free board and lodgings (of a sort, usually a shared and chaotic room full of smelly ski socks) plus about enough money to keep yourself in beer if you're not a big party animal. And a free lift pass. Bliss. wink
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Boredsurfing, Missing a trick shirley

- Sick of city life? - live for free* in the beautiful West of England.

Not exactly original though, Home exchange (.com) is over 20 years old.
snow report
northernsoulboy wrote:
as a matter of interest, what are the going rates for these kinds of jobs? my kids are going to be looking for something like this is a year or two?

Not sure what others pay - we pay between £250 and £400 per week depending on lots of things and we give free accom, flights, lift pass, ski hire/school, etc.
If your kids are going to work in a resort make sure that you check out the company they will be working for 1st. The big TO, Neilson, T Cook, etc, etc are no problems but one of our reps this year was telling us horror stories, ok mostly bar talk, but I think there were a few problems in her old job. eg. make sure the number of days off per week are in writting and that males will be sharing rooms with males and females with females, and wages are paid into a UK bank account, etc.etc.

There are lots of threads on this forum written by people who have taken resort jobs and I am sure that if you post them a question about anything you are unsure of they will be only too happy to let you have some information and tips.

There are many websites that help people to find resort jobs (we advertise on Natives). If you have a look around these you will find they are a good source of information

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 29-06-10 19:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

we pay between £250 and £400 per week

Wayne, who's "we" ?
ski holidays
jonm wrote:
Wayne, who's "we" ?

This is "we"
ski holidays
Wayne, ta. Sounds good Smile
ski holidays
Wayne, That does like a good deal, what are the working hours.
I know heaps of poeple who could be interested.
ski holidays
nixmap wrote:
I know heaps of poeple who could be interested.

Hmmmm.
Maybe these heaps of people should take a look at the *employment advert we have paid for (people do that you know) on Natives.

* A little wiki-stuff for you.
An employee may be defined as: "A person in the service of another under any contract of hire, express or implied, oral or written, where the employer has the power or right to control and direct the employee in the material details of how the work is to be performed."
OK this the US version but I think it would stand up on this side of the pond also.

So, Employment does not need any form of payment between the parties.
Think you may have saved yourself some grief by just doing what everyone else does when looking for employees (either paid or not) to work in a ski resort and pay for an advert on an appropriate site.

PS. feel free to answer this, as I'm sure you'll feel you must - I won't, can't be bothered.
latest report
northernsoulboy wrote:

One of the regular posters (who has done a few seasons himself) on Natives recently had an excel spreadsheet with different jobs & TOs, showing how they 'rewarded' their staff (cash, accom, liftpass etc).
snow conditions
I think Ski Beat offer interviews in scotland
ski holidays
northernsoulboy, from about £180 pcm for hotel staff to £350 or so for chalet staff and reps, both of whom can make a bit more from tips and commission. Most TOs also provide travel to/from a specified point in the UK, lift pass, travel insurance (though not necessarily ski insurance), board and lodging, ski and boot hire (but not boards, as a rule). Most of them ask for a deposit in advance of at least £100, which may or may not be refundable on completion of contract (note that people who break a leg and have to go home are deemed not to have completed their contracts). Some companies don't pay staff during the training period, some do.
snow report
Great thanks for all your responses folks, very helpful, much appreciated
latest report
northernsoulboy wrote:

I got paid £355 a month last season as a chalet host. everything was included lift pass, accom, food, equip rental, etc. So the only thing that my wages went on was beer, wine, spirits, steak. wink
ski holidays
Did a bit of digging & found pay survey on Natives:-
http://www.natives.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18879&highlight=survey
snow report
Hi,

Have a look at Premiere Neige - they offer interviews in Scotland (usually Edinburgh), pay near the top end and have pretty good accomodation. They are in Sainte Foy and the ski area isn't huge, but plenty of off piste so depends a bit on your level.

Working a season is great fun wherever you are - and well worth a trip to London for an interview if it comes to that.

Good luck!

Heather
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy