Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whatever happend to the Ski for free thread

Poster: A snowHead
nbt wrote:
Hi

I moved your thread. I haven't got a problem with the thread itself, or the idea per se, but having moved other recruitment threads that constituted advertising, I need to be consistent. If you get the OK from Admin to advertise we can put the thread back. Maybe paying for an advert might help? You certainly seem to have benefitted from snowheads in the past if you've managed to recruit someone over the past two seasons.

Direct link to Pm admin: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=2

Cheers

Julian

NBT

Well I did all that and after two days did not even get the courtesy of a reply,
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maybe admin is away on his holidays. I don't suppose he works on snowheads 24/7.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heres what I wrote

Nixmap wrote:

Moved it to where?

Im really not sure how it constitutes advertising, as there is explicitly nothing for sale - even though both sides benefit.

For example if
I had an old pair of skis and offered them forsale in a forum, the recipient would benefit from gettting the skis, I would get the money. Its a comercial exchange.

If the skis were free, its a little less clear.

As this example concerns items and not time and facilities so its a litttle easier to pidgeon hole.

Lets take another example.

Say I wanted to drive my car to CH but wanted somone to drive with me to share the drive, in return for free passage and I posted that on this forum, would that be advertising? Nothing is being bought or sold, I dont think so its just a friendly agreement where two people agree to help each other for mutual benefit, its exactly what a forum should be for.

So how does Snowheads Inc. benefit? Well from the the content and lively discussion it generates, which in turn, creates more traffic, which direcly or indirectly creates revenue and or value.

Obviously if a thread is particularly offensive to a signifcant majority of users, or its easily identifiable as commercial spam, then it deserves to be pulled. Its difficult to say without all the information, but I supect that the number of people entertained and engaged by my thread easily outweighs one or two complaints. I hardly think that one thread a year goes anywhere near being called spam.

Granted its debatable if the Piste Forum may not be not as applicable as the Exchange, Buy Sell Forum but seeing the amount of lively discussion it created last time and the time before, not all of it related to the exchange itself, I think the jury is still out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having had such a great discussion in here last year, I thought it worthwhile to repost, as many interested people asked me too

So in the spirit of a public forum, I guess "You the people" can decide whether such a posting should or shouldnt be allowed. or whether I should redirect to an existing thread on another well known Open forum for skiers.

I seemed to get a warm reception, so I guess its up to you lot to inform admin either privately or here, whether to reinstate the thread (or not)
I guess if not I will have make do with the applications I get from the other forum.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nixmap wrote:
...I seemed to get a warm reception, so I guess its up to you lot to inform admin either privately or here, whether to reinstate the thread (or not)

not.

Quote:
I guess if not I will have make do with the applications I get from the other forum.

Well, obviously. Bye.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Its going strongly on TGR at the moment if you fancy popping over
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rambotion wrote:

I guess "you the people" can also vote with your feet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nixmap, I hope it comes back, it's entertaining, and you've argued your case cogently.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I vote for allowing it in the Buy, Sell, Exchange forum.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rambotion wrote:

Indeed. Entertaining. Not too much dudespeak either. Some abuse as per usual on that forum.

nixmap may have to decide if he wants to let some overweight American slacker loose around his property. I doubt he will find many hard workers with a positive outlook over there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nixmap, Im with you on this one
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nixmap, Yep, I'm with you too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nixmap, Instead of trying to get the topic put back on Snowheads, maybe if you replied to cetain people who have sent you a private message then they would have some more info on the matter? Just a thought? rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick Your annual appeal for 'staff' is an advert and should be treated as such.
The novelty aspect has been thoroughly exhausted.

Heres the same thread on TGR if anyone is still interested.......
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194938

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 24-06-10 8:35; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nixmap, I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are going and think it would be a great shame if your thread was pulled... Isn't one of the functions of this site that it matches up people who want something (be it information, services or products) with those who can supply it?
snow conditions
1556garyt, were I cynical, I might think that your main purpose of being a member of this forum is to be is to be a link pimp for your site, and that rather colours you view about others who abuse the forum for commercial gain. But of course I am not a cynic. Much.
ski holidays
free nixmap !!
latest report
nixmap, I enjoyed the previous thread but given this is a repeat I'd suggest you provide more details about the resort and people who have done it for the last few seasons to keep it interesting. Does the fact that you don't mean you have something to hide?
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
free nixmap !!

with every 4 whingers
snow report
Boredsurfing, do you get get business link pimps such as rayscoops, and BobinCH, thrown in as well?
snow report
As I've consistently said, you can have the thread back when Admin clears it. Your thread is an advert, and to my knowledge you haven't paid for it. Admin may agree that your thread generates traffic and thus is worthy of reinstatement. Equally, he may decide that you need to may like the other snowheads who've paid for advertising on the site.

From a fag packet calculation done on the other thread discussing the removal (there is one - of course you decide to be clever and start ANOTHER thread discussing it to highlight your "plight" rolling eyes ), the "ski for free" offer saves you somewhere in excess of FIVE AND HALF thousand pounds - and that's just if you were to hire the people on minimum wage salary. Add in tax, NI, insurance etc as you would have to were you a legitimate employer and suddenly it seems like you're saving a great deal of money. Surely chucking admin a few quid isn't going to bankrupt you, especially if you can afford a place in a ski resort and the chance to use it to entertain friends a few weekends every year?

I understand why you may feel aggrieved that your question hasn't been replied to within seconds but may I remind you that some people have what is known as a "life", which often involves extended periods spent away from a computer. In fact, it may be that your PM has been read and Admin has decided that your points don't even merit attention? Just a thought, obviously?

Oh, and one final point - PM stands for PRIVATE message. I would have preferred it had you contacted me first to ensure I was ok with you posting the content of the message I sent to you in private. Or would you have preferred it if I'd moved your thread and and posted a new thread on the forum where I'd called you a cheapskate and asked you to cough up?
snow conditions
Oh, and by the way - you know very well what happened to the thread, as you were told in no uncertain terms. Nice use of thread titling to imply you're the innocent party rolling eyes
ski holidays
nixmap, has posted 300 times and has no link in his signature. It was a cracking thread 1st time round. My only complaint is that we have not, as far as I can recall, ever had any decent feedback as to what happened each year.
snow conditions
Can someone explain to me whether all those people who have links to their websites of their chalets, apartments, and all sorts of other services are those that are classed as advertisers and are paying Admin for being allowed to 'advertise'

I feel they must be - otherwise the only adverts I recall seeing are for Skiset, on this page at the moment and Dogtag insurance.
snow conditions
achilles, I know where you live and I know where you work and I know the club you administer and I have an old gun that my grandfather used to keep and I will be popping up to give you a visit Very Happy
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, nixmap didn't need a pimp signature, since he blatantly used threads for financial gain.
ski holidays
rayscoops, Um.. Oops. Actually I now have nothing to do with the club administration, except that I still notionally run the club web site since no one else will have it. Care to take it over? NehNeh
snow report
has snowHeads become so commercial that some one offering free accommodation has to ask for permission and potentially pay to run a thread that was a good lively debate on many levels and the so called 'commercial element' became an almost negligible part of it ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had forgotten how ghey snowheads is....
Some people need to remember that its only a web forum.
(or is it actually a business selling advertising space?)

No one is forcing you to read a specific topic / forum / thread.
If you dont like it move along.
- but I find it quite amusing how worked up some people can get over the interweb..... Twisted Evil

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 24-06-10 9:28; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
achilles, I presume you also want to ban the "Buy, Sell Exchange" area of the site?
snow conditions
see achilles, how do I know that you run a website for a club - because you have said so and put up links on here before - a commercial entity that you advertised. I seem to recall it was an male only private club too wink
ski holidays
Pamski, links in sigs to chalets etc are not visible to google searches and as such are tolerated, especially if the user contributes in a positive way to snowheads. As I've pointed out elsewhere though, moderators will remove sigs (and posters) on occasion when they are for such things "buy you knock off shoes here"

Adverts for skiset, dogatg, folgarida etc are paid for

There are also occasionally threads advertising courses or good for sale which have been cleared by admin

Starting a thread solely to sell something however is not really part of what snowheads is about -

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64926&start=80#1545749
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
nixmap, Instead of trying to get the topic put back on Snowheads, maybe if you replied to cetain people who have sent you a private message then they would have some more info on the matter? Just a thought? rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

He replied to me within about 12 hours.
snow report
nbt, Thanks - with all this going on and as a fairly new member I wasn't sure so good to make it clear.
ski holidays
nixmap isn't selling anything.

It's no different - save for the amounts involved - to having a thread that says "can anyone give me a lift to Hemel, I'll chip in for petrol". Both sides benefit, and yes some monetary advantage is involved, but it's not actually a sale.

You bunch of gormless bellends.
latest report
rayscoops, still is. It was put up for a bit fun - IIRC the link was humorous. Given the club's location, and snowheads membership at the time, I think the number of snowheads who could have been remotely interested in being a member was about 1. Me. Laughing So no commercial benefit - and it's long gone from my signature.
snow conditions
Quote:

You bunch of gormless bellends

Laughing Laughing Laughing Bellend is a great phrase Very Happy
ski holidays
achilles, my sig is to the chalet of a friend. I rather shoot myself in the foot trying to help him get bookings because when its not rented I can use it for free. Alas he has never got a booking through my "pimping" on Snowheads Sad

The only ones to profit so far are a group of Snowheads who got a free holiday there during Easter week last season (due to late cancellation) when we had the best conditions of the season snowHead snowHead snowHead

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63449&highlight=
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1505482#1505482

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 24-06-10 9:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
achilles, just because you were pimping something cr@p that others may not have wanted does not make it different to some one pimping a chalet that others may want
snow conditions
Quote:
You bunch of gormless bellends.

incisive social commentry at its best ...LOL
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy