Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good websites for buying skis

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know of any good websites for buying a pair of skis. Currently i am looking at either the rossi B2's or the Atomic Metron B5's. I am doing a 14 week ski instructors course next season in the 3 valleys and want to get a discount by buying late season.

Also, has anyone used either of these skis...if so, what are they like? I've skied the Atomic M11's-are these much different to the B5's or not?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
www.beansonline.co.uk
www.telemark-pyrenees.com
www.backcountry.com
www.rei.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Although, I just spotted this...
http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/ski/equipment/skis/products/EAVGV.htm
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris_5000, I know it's a bind, but you could phone Severn Sports in Armley (Leeds) for a pair of B2's as they undercut all online shops when I bought from them.

They also just sold the Mrs. a pair of this seasons Salomon X-Wave 8 boots for £140, so you shoud get a good deal.

BTW they also have some of last years Dynastar Ituitiv 74 which they can't shift at all. You'd get those for a song if you asked.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for those guys-very helpful...any more would be very welcome.

Also, do you guys know of any websites for reviews on skis...I am really looking for a pair of all rounders that can do everything pretty well (i.e pistes, off pistes, varied terrain/snow, bumps etc.) as i will be doing all these when doing the instructor course.

Cheers,
Chris
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Check out Peter Keelty's site. He is a highly regarded INDEPENDENT ski reviewer in the US. for full reveiws you need to pay a subscription fee but short reviews are free, at least they were last time I looked.

www.techsupportforskiers.com
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It would be worth doing a search on this site under the user facilities at the top of the page as there have been a few discussions on the best alround skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris_5000,

ssh is a fan of the Metron B5 and posted a review on Epic, which started a really good thread: check it out here: http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=22186&highlight=Metron

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 6-04-05 17:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris_5000, I bought a pair of 162cm Metron B5's from Snow & Rock a couple of weeks ago for £359.40 versus their list price of £599 which I thought was a bargain. I couldn't find them cheaper anywhere else, in fact I couldn't actually find any B5's anywhere else! The Epicski guys say that they are very hard to find in the US now as well. S&R only had 7 pairs left in the UK then so you'd better be quick.

My instructor reckoned that these skis are the best kept secret in the UK as they were largely glossed over by the ski press at the start of the season for some reason, probably as they don't really fit neatly in to the industries 'categories' etc. - S&R list the B5 as a 'piste prestige' ski when it's really is a true freerider. Add the fact that it's hard to believe that you ski it so short, that they're pretty heavy & at the top end of the price scale & you can see why they had a few left at a high cost to them, hence the heavy discount. Apparently many of the other manufacturers will be copying this shape next season.

I've only tried mine for a few hours at Xscape Castleford but I think that they're absolutely superb. Perhaps a tad, & just a tad, slower edge to edge than my old 5*'s (but then they are a lot wider underfoot) but they are certainly awesome carvers. Some have said that they're not that easy to skid but I did not find that at all. They were also very easy to braquage/pivot slip. I can also guarantee that once you put them on you certainly do not notice their extra weight. I'm just in the process of joining a race training club based at Castleford & I'll certainly be using the B5's through the gates.

If you're looking for a really true excellent all rounder then the B5's are definately the way to go.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, Only 6 left !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris_5000, I'd skied the M11 in La Rosiere a few weeks ago which is the same side cut. The B5 is certainly more ski than the M11.

I'm 175cm/85kg/S&R level 7 & I was a bit worried that the B5's might be too much for me but after just the few hours I've had on them I'm really glad I went for the B5's as I can certainly handle them now, but with the added benefit of all that extra capacity for improvement.

I also tried the Rossi B2 in La Ros, but only on piste. I now know what the testers now mean when they describe a ski as 'damp'. I'd also call them boring. They might be good off-piste but they just don't come close to the M11/B5 on piste for high speed carving. You've also got all that way tighter radius from the B5's mega sidecut & super short length compared to the B2, yet they are still super stable at warp speed.

The B2 has been around for a few years now & I think that Atomic have now really raised the bar with their Metron range, & especially the B5.

You're obviously a high level skier if you're planning an instructor course but what weight are you? I only ask as that if you're really light weight then the M11 might be a better choice.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Newbie50, You got 'em then. Have you had a chance to use them?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers for the feedback guys...spyderjon, i did ski the rossi B2's for one day and they did seem to be a lot more dampened than the M11's-perhaps easier to ski, but the M11's were certainly better when pushed harder. The B5's do seem to have got great reviews, so i think i will go for these.

I'm around 6 ft and 14 stone spyderjon-what's your height? Do you feel that the 162's were big enough?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris_5000, I'm 175cm tall, although it's your weight that's the important thing. There's a number of guys on Epicski who are either taller or heavier, & often both, than you & are they're all going great on the B5's in 162's.

My research prior to buying led me to the conclusion that to ski the B5 in 172 you need to either be a 'true' expert around 110kgs or an advanced skier whose 'considerably' heavier. The Epicski link posted by Acacia above is a real must read for any prospective Metron buyer & you'll plenty of guys their who match your level/height/weight range on the 162's.

With regard to the heavy weight of the 04/05 model skis. I'm told that most of the extra weight is in the Neox binding & I can confirm this as the weight of a 162 B5 ski only (no binding) seemed very close to that of a 177 Rossi B2 ski only when I held them both in S&R, but when you hold them with the bindings on then the B5's are noticably heavier. However you really do not notice the difference when you're skiing them as they have a low swing weight.

The 05/06 model B5 is apparently the same ski but half a kilo lighter per ski due to it having the same binding but in a magnesium version. The new model is now out on an order only basis in the US but I was told that the UK wouldn't have them until the start of the new season. So the decision was do I wait for the new lighter model but at full price (@£600+?) at the start of the season or do I take the old model in the S&R sale for under £360.

I really don't plan too much hiking with them, and anyway I've just fitted carry straps to my backpack. And as I want to do some off season practice at Castleford & hopefully a summer week on a glacier somewhere the S&R deal was a bit of a no brainer for me.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seems like i'll be going for the 162's then! Very Happy

I would have to agree with you spyderjon-paying an extra £250 for what is essentially the same ski just because it's the latest one seems pretty pointless. I wouldnt have thought the magnesium binding is going to make a huge amount of difference is it?

Hopefully i will be ordering the B5 tonight from S&R (can't wait to try them out!) By the way, how do you find out how many skis they have got left in stock?
snow report
Oh yeah, one other thing (just out of interest)....

What are the differences between the skis in the Metron range? (i.e M:9's M:10's M11's) Which ones are suited to which type of terrain/level of skier
snow conditions
spyderjon, No cahnce to use them yet as they are still on UK. Hopefully the good lady will bring them back with her next week. I don't expect to use them this year - so they will just have to be looked at through the summer.

Interestingly although many have commented on the total weight , I didn't find them any heavier to hold than SX-10s, but given that I can not find the relative weights with bindings I am unsure as to the accuracy of my statement.

I'm just hoping I'm a good enough skier to work them !

I must be borderline 162 as I am currently around 75 Kgs, I found S & R a bit strange on the subject. Do you know the max KGrecommended for the 152 ?
ski holidays
Newbie50, there's a length calculatorfor the metron range on here
ski holidays
marc gledhill, Thanks for that.

Yes that is the only one I found (assuming we are both looking at the 'metron' chart )..... however whatever your ability , if you prefer medium turns ( which I do), this particular chart always has me around 170cms ... try it out for yourself.

Yet ssh and other people who own and ski them advise the '162', not sure this chart actually reflects real experiences for the B5. There was another link on the 'epicski' thread but that is now unavailable.
snow report
Weird, I'm 80KG+ and 5'11" and it has me at 162.

Puzzled
snow report
marc gledhill, This is doing my Tiny Brain in....

So, Let's say any punter prefers Medium turns plus Intermediate skier ( lower 'number' than advanced or expert)...

= 470 + 480 = 950, therefore 164 cm = 1230 (for 164cm even though it doesn't exist) , i.e Maximum weight = 280 points i.e. 70 kilos. If you prefer large turns then this reduces by 50 'points' and you become max weight 55-60 lbs.

However assuming ssh is an expert skier - or any other epicski expert for that matter ( and taking short turn 'cos it gets score down!!) === 500 +420 = 920 .... thereby maxing their weight out at around 77kgs .. although loads of epicski folks seemed to be somewhat heavier.

Someone please tell me I can not add up or that I am totally missing the point ! It's just that based on this the 162 is only fit for short-turning intermediates with bulimia ... Puzzled
snow report
Chris_5000, I hope you've managed to find a pair as according to S&R at Sheffield they're now out of stock! I suggest you call your local store PDQ or try placing an order on their web site. If you buy on their web site the skis will be delivered to you & then you take them to your local S&R with a boot & they'll set the bindings for you. However you buy, make sure that you have the mountings set in the forward most position (as recommended by the Epic guys) as S&R will set them to the central position unless you specify otherwise.
ski holidays
marc gledhill, Newbie50, I had the same problem with the chart when I started my research. I pretty sure that's not the right Metron chart for the B5 which I believe is different to the others. My feeling is reinforced by the fact that the B5 lengths of 152, 162 & 172 aren't shown in the list, nor is that store including the 'Metron' B5 in their Atomic offering - which is a different ski to the SX B5 skiercross that they list. S&R Sheffield had an Atomic folder attached to the B5 rack that had three circular charts in it - intermediate, advanced & expert. I'm 85kg & using the advanced chart I scored somewhere between between 1230 - 1300 for short & medium turns. They say that if you are between ski lengths you should drop to the shorter length, so the 162 was dead right for me. I also looked on the expert chart (well you have to dream don't you) & I also scored right for a 162. Specifying long turns seems to screw up the system a bit but why anyone would buy a ski with a 11m turning radius to do long radius turns beats me.
snow report
spyderjon, Ditto .. chart said 162.

As to why buy the B5, cos I like longer tuns but on narrow pistes tend towards the fall line - so suits me (I hope!) . My problem with S&R was that they didn't seem 'comfortable' selling the B5 -- just a perception. Anywat it was 162 for me.

Covent Garden still have 3 pairs ( as of last Thursday)
ski holidays
Newbie50, None of the S&R staff at Sheffield had skied the B5 & I got the feeling that they just didn't understand the Metron concept that you can a great carver & off-pister with high speed stability all in a short package. I think that their knowledge will be greater next season as other manufacturers follow suit & they get better training.
ski holidays
spyderjon-it doesnt say that they are sold out on the web site, so do you think i would still get a pair if i ordered them tonight from their web site? I hope so-the reason i have to wait is that someone else is paying for them Confused

Newbie50-covent garden? where's that...do they have a website?
latest report
Covent Garden is an area in London.

Oh, maybe that's not what you meant.

There's a Snow and Rock in Covent Garden.
snow conditions
oh right i get it-ha cheers Wear The Fox Hat
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BTW-how many S&R's are there in the UK?
ski holidays
Chris_5000, Wear The Fox Hat, Thankfuly 'WTFH' has corrected my simplistic form. I meant "Snow and Rock" - Covent Garden store still had 3 pairs.....
ski holidays
I've found the link to the Metron sizing chart. For the B5 use the M11 chart.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/sizingchart.html?sizing_id=149

Playing around with the ability levels, weight range (what I am v what I should be) & both short & medium turns always put me on the 162's. It was only when I entered long turns that the 172's were occasionally specified. As the chart says, if you're not sure, or to get the most versatile performance, enter medium radius.
latest report
Spyderjon-doesnt look like i'll be getting the Atomics any more. My brother has just got back from instructing in Courmayeur and told me that he gets Rossi and salomon skis for considerably lower prices than normal as he is a BASI instructor.

He told me that he will be able to get me a pair of next seasons rossi bandits for around £200 when they come out, so i thought this is perhaps a better deal. Just seen them and they look awesome-getting excited already!
snow report
Chris_5000, can you also get skis at that price for your 'friends'? In La Roseiere recently I tried the 05/06 'green' B3's off-piste & they seemed great.
snow report
Whats the difference between the B2's and B3's (next seasons's)

I'm not sure about getting them for "friends." could ask though
snow report
Chris_5000 wrote:
Whats the difference between the B2's and B3's (next seasons's)

I'm not sure about getting them for "friends." could ask though

See my comments in this thread...http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6535

Report from What's New / What's Hot
Rossi will introduce new shapes & a new interface platform in it Bandit collection for 05-06. The new bandits will use Rossi's Free Dualtec construction with 20 deg slanted sidewalls and Rossi's Shockwall technology made of two ABS materials. Top material is a compressible & softens shock unber foot while bottom material is rigid to ensure edge grip along the whole ski Rossi has integrated it's new patented FAT (Free Absorber Technology) on the new (05-06) B4, B3, and B2. FAT is made from integrating Aluminum & Visco components. "The Al plate creates a better interface with Rossi binding and adds percision and increased control to the ski. the visco is for vibration absorption & dampening, which reduces Shock & vibration " explained Rossi. The B3 & B2 use Rossi new Shark Nose technology, an Al insert integrated into the tip of the ski to increase tortional stability.

Tech Data:
(note : xxx-yy-zzz are tip/waist/tail dimensions in mm)
(05-06)B4 (122-94-112) new "for off piste deep power/steep terrain." (note 05-06 B4 widths same as 04-05 B3)
(05-06)B3 (120-83-110) (04-05 = 122-94-112) "for core expert skiers seeking out the back bowls & glades."
(05-06)B2 (116-78-105) (04-05 = 116-76=103) "for powder, crud and grip on hardpack."

Personal Recommendation
I have skiied both the 04-05 B3 and B2. ( the B2 was my promary ski this past 100 day-on-snow season) I would NOT recommend the B3 unless you were skiing (at least) knee-deep powder on a DAILY basis. I have not (yet) skied the 05-06 B4 (same dimensions as the 04-05 B3) but do have a "first hand report" form someone who did. The reporter is a very experienced professional Partoller, He skied it in shallow powder ( ~ 12") and on packed powder - groomed & ungroomed. He reported that it skied a little better than the 04-05 B3 on the Packed Powder (more edge grip/hold) and about the same in the powder. as I posted in the linked thread, the 04-05 B2 is truely a Go Anywhare / Anytime ski... & I expect the 05-06 version to be nothing less.

Think SN*W
latest report
Great comments mountainGator-very helpful...and welcome to snowheads!

I'm pretty sure that im going to get the new B2's next season and you're comments have made me even more sure. One of my brother's friends who is also an instructor said that they were the best skis he's ever skied, so feedback seems to be very positive.

Also, as mentioned in another thread, do you know anything about the B-Pros? If so, how are they different from the standard skis?
snow report
Chris_5000 ... No, I have no info on the Rossi Bandit B-Pro. I do NOT yet have access to the 05-06 Rossi U.S. Dealer info, but from what I'm hearing, this may be a non-U.S. model, or a model that is sold under a different name in the European/International market than in the U.S. I would suggest that you pay a visit (or phone) to your nearest Rossi dealer, ask to speak to the Buyer, and see what they can tell you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy