Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Double standards for time off school of ski trips

Poster: A snowHead
The thing about skiing trips, as I am certain has probably already been mentioned if I were to read the thread, is that at seconday school it is still one of the so-called educational visits/trips that is organised. Why is it that it is fine for the school to organise a week off and call it education, and yet if a parent were to organise the same trip, for lets hypthetically say, the same week in the same resort and go as a family it could be refused on the basis that it were a holiday. If I were to be proposing that the kids spend the week on the Costa del Sol with no formally organised sporting activities factored in it might be easier to see the view point against taking the kids out of school. I wonder if I could push the point that it is the only time I could afford for them to practice their skiing in a real setting. I believe there may have been a programme whereby kids that showed promise in a sport would be encouraged to benefit from coaching etc. Now who thinks the Minimum's show promise on skis? After all they have received coaching from our top Olympic skier wink Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Elizabeth B wrote:
abc wrote:

"In theory", kids should be educated, not imprison, in school.

There's a difference between the two.

True. which is why parents get the option - put your kids in school and hand over their education to the professionals, or choose to home educate them to your own curriculum and own term dates.

I found the term "hand over their education" rather disturbing.

I personally think that's about 90% of what's wrong with many families. They think they don't have to do ANYTHING since there're all these "professional" who totally "took over" their kids education! Now that we have confirmation of many teachers having that very view, it's no wonder why so many parents behave so carelessly when it comes to what their kids do or not do in school. After all, if those "professionals" had "taken over", surely they have all the answer. Right?

So if it comes down to such a all-or-nothing choice, I would suggest ANY responsible parents should NEVER leave their kids in a random school. Doing so implies you abdicate ANY influence on their education! I wouldn't want my kids to be "educated" by others without my input. (and that input includes taking them off to ski or travel during term time Very Happy)

We accept when we send highly impressionable kids to school, they're going to be brainwashed to a degree. But to demand parents "hand over" their kids education to school, is a rather alarming concept to me. Seems to me some teachers consider parents obstacle in the education process... Sad

The other side of the coin being, teachers can't complain about parents not helping their kids homework or being good role models. After all, parants "handed over" their kids' education entirely...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It seems very odd to suggest that one should leave education to the professionals as if parents don't need to support their children's education at all.

To take the reception year as an example it is expected that parents will listen to their children read on a daily basis at home. The school also rely on a band of parents (including some like me who are not professional teachers) to listen to the children read at school. If it had just been left to the professionals my 5 yr old daughter would have read to the teacher once every few weeks. As it is she reads her reading book every day at home and is doing very well with reading and is now picking up her bedtime story books and trying to read them too.

If I were working full time (in order to afford a skiing holiday at half term every year) I would not have time to help other children by volunteering to listen to readers at school.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:
Now that we have confirmation of many teachers having that very view

Really? Where could I find that confirmation?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An Update: I wrote to the Headmaster and this morning he and I had a very reasonable telephone conversation about the situation. I think we came down 'evens' that we could see each other's point of view. His final response was that he was not telling me I could not take the full holiday as planned, only that he could only authorise 5 days of it. He would therefore accept my advance notification that I also would be taking 2 days unauthorised leave from school and that would show on his records as unauthorised absence (I struggle to see why for the school that is better than it being authorised, but there you go, I guess it is an indication that the school hasn't condoned the absence). He also said that he was content that my children would not suffer from this unauthorised absence or that it wouldn't require further action against me as a parent and was pleased to have the notification so that he would know that the children were safe and being looked after and doing something productive. In fact he conceeded that skiing was, indeed, an ideal sort of activity for a child.

So all in all I guess this is as good as I could have expected, and it does at least mean that we will be able to take next January's holiday as planned. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm glad you are able to continue with your hols megamum.

From your post I'd imagine that the Head doesn't have a problem with your holiday but does not want to give the extra 2 days as authorised as it might encourage other parents to come and ask for more than 5 days and/or he will be in trouble with the LEA or Ofsted if he grants too many authorised holidays overall. I expect he is grateful to know in advance about the extra days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, a reasonable outcome for all concerned.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
abc wrote:

My apology, my gross generalization. Only confirmation of ONE teacher having such a view.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Why is it that it is fine for the school to organise a week off and call it education, and yet if a parent were to organise the same trip, for lets hypthetically say, the same week in the same resort and go as a family it could be refused on the basis that it were a holiday.

school ski trips vary, but all the ones my family have been involved in (3 as pupils, 6 as teachers) have ALL been in the school holidays.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
im not sure that 'ski trips' are so much better for school kids than going somewhere hot and sunny.. gonig sking is percieved to be all educational.. but going to tenerife is unacceptable.. swimming/sking opposite sides of the same coin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
canv - swimming is also a worthwhile activity. However you can go to tenerife in the easter holidays, 2 half terms and the summer holidays whereas the skiing season is very limited. Half term is the only week with guaranteed snow in some of the lower altitude resorts.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you can also swim in guildford lido or the sea..don't have to go 600 miles to do it. Skiing in a snow dome rather limited.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
abc wrote:

My apology, my gross generalization. Only confirmation of ONE teacher having such a view.

Which ONE teacher is that?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Thornyhill, Just to put your mind at ease, I actually have a life away from the internet and it's wonderful forums at weekends, and only access it from work

Strange - As a self employed person I find that surfing the net at work isn't that constructive to generating an income.

I would be really interested to know what job it is that you do where you get paid to post crap on the web?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thornyhill, I do a job which gives me access to the Internet during the day, obviously.......
ski holidays
Thornyhill, Just to put your mind at ease, I actually have a life away from the internet and it's wonderful forums at weekends, and only access it from work

Ditto Very Happy
snow report
Thornyhill, I do a job which gives me access to the Internet during the day, obviously.......

I have access to the internet during the day. I just find that surfing the web never makes me any money. As you seem to spend a fair amount of time surfing, maybe generating income isn't an issue. In that case you must be paid to be there, just in case. I know loads of people who claim that they are paid to be there, "just in case," but so far, the only time I have heard of someone's boss telling me that someone is paid to be there, "just in case" is when that someone is a fireman. Therefore I can conclude you are either a fireman or a waster? Am I right?
snow report
Quote:

waster

Nearly right....only one letter out.....
latest report
Thornyhill, The Voice of Reason,
Come on guys, can we give this a rest
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
Thornyhill, The Voice of Reason,
Come on guys, can we give this a rest

Awwww...OK.... its your thread, so I'll behave... but did you not even have a small giggle? even just a brief smirk?

p.s. - TreVOR - - probably two - n and k
snow conditions
Interesting thread. My daughter starts school in September. I have just booked a ski holiday which means taking her out of R class for the last week of term before Christmas. Personally learning to ski (and that sports and activities are a part of live) is something that is very important in my mind to my daughters education.

I am getting the permission form in to the school before my daughter even starts, as I am actually within my rights to delay my daughters start at school for a whole year as she will only turn 4 in August. I don't think that is right for her but I am hoping this gives me a bit of leverage with the school?

I went on holiday with my parents several times through my educational live during school term. Never during the 4th / 5th year (GCSE years), or exam time. I was expected to copy lesson notes from my class mates in my own time to catch up. I never had anything special from the teacher, just my friends support. I don't think it affected my overall educational results. GCSE's 5 A's, 2 B, 2 C, A-Level 3 B's, and a 2:1 in an MEng degree (straight through).
latest report
NickyJ - I'm sure your child will not miss out academically taking last few days of autumn term out. However have you checked the likely date of the nativity play..I would not have wanted to miss that Very Happy
snow conditions
The situation at Will's school has changed quite dramatically over the last 12 months. Their last few Ofsted inspections results in 'Outstanding' status (and they are now considering going for 'Academy' status) but in the last inspection a note was made regarding the high level of 'authorised' absence. The Headteacher has always been happy to authorise time off in term-time, provided the pupil's overall attendance and quality of work was of an appropriate standard. If there was a high level of sickness/unauthorised absence or the pupil was struggling with their work, she simply would not agree to the time off.

As a direct result of the Ofsted report, it has now gone to the other extreme - she may authorise absence, but only with full mitigating circumstances. As an example - our ski club are organising a club trip next February, the week before half-term. We won't even ask for the time off, because we are confident she will refuse. However, if we were in the fortunate position of being able to enter him for the English Championships in Bormio (which we're not Sad ), and requested that he also took the previous week (i.e. the same one as the club trip) in order to train and prepare, we are almost certain she would agree.

She has always been very supportive of Will and his skiing (authorising Friday afternoons off if we've needed to travel to races in time for the weekends) but I think the Ofsted report has simply scared her into the current system.

The 'old' system was based on Common Sense, but the previous government clearly felt that we should no longer possess such attributes.......

Sorry - ranted on a bit there....
snow report
snowymum wrote:
NickyJ - I'm sure your child will not miss out academically taking last few days of autumn term out. However have you checked the likely date of the nativity play..I would not have wanted to miss that Very Happy

Ditto snowHead The key stage 1 performances are very special. Our primary usually schedules for early December but worth checking.
snow report
OK - what on earth are "Key Stage 1"?

Thanks
snow report
NickyJ, Key Stage 1 is Years 1 and 2 at school; KS2 is yrs 3-6 (KS1&2 is therefore primary education); KS3 is yrs 7-9; KS4 is yrs 10&11; and 16-19 year olds are often referred to as KS5 (6th form), and this is secondary education. Give it a couple of parents' evenings/consultations and you'll get the hang of it!
ski holidays
OK, so she won't be Key Stage 1 as she will be going into Reception (R) not Year 1. Thanks.
snow report
Jon.L, so the current school policies on authorised abscence are producing an outstanding school...... and they want to change them rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i think the problem arises when the same kids always miss the week after xmas or the week before half term or easter.. you cant say to one kids parents yeah sking is fine is 'educational' but going on holiday elsewhere isnt.. what about the yearly trip to italy or the south of france? or the historical towns on the algarve Cool , if tenerife dosent cut it .. people are trying to save a few bob , no problem with that but spare me the 'educational angle..
latest report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
... people are trying to save a few bob , no problem with that but spare me the 'educational angle..

I'm guessing that you can get the same educational benefits of overseas travel if you do it during school holidays as well as term time...?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
... people are trying to save a few bob , no problem with that but spare me the 'educational angle..

I'm guessing that you can get the same educational benefits of overseas travel if you do it during school holidays as well as term time...?

Yes.... if you can afford to do it at all. Certainly for us, we couldn't afford to do the ski holiday we are doing during school holidays. So it is either take her out of school or not take her at all.
snow report
NickyJ, sorry I wasn't clear re KS1 - though it would be very unusual for Reception not to be involved in a Christmas production. I am sure you could call the school before they break up this week to see what week they normally do it.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

no cause the place is full of screaming kids wink
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

no cause the place is full of screaming kids wink

Screaming BRITISH kids! Smile

Might as well stay in class?Wink
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Jon.L, so the current school policies on authorised abscence are producing an outstanding school...... and they want to change them rolling eyes rolling eyes

Quite.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

I agree 100%. Why don't we have 8 weeks off during ski season, and then just two during the skin cancer period. I much prefer skiing to skin cancer.
snow report
Thornyhill, because the school year is still based around a hundred year old system, where children are expected to help with the harvest during the summer months.....according to my sources*. And the senior educators are currently taked with looking at alternatives to how the school year works, to make it more compatible to the 21st Century, utilising advances in technology and offering more flexibility to working families, whilst getting shot of reliance and governance from the LEA's

(*an executive headmaster, who also doubles as a close, long standing friend)

See, I can give sensible answers.....
ski holidays
OK - I have to admit....... LMAO at the tag, and much as it pains me to admit, the body was informative. I always thought we had 2 months off school in July and August because there was a better chance that it wasn't p1ssing. Every school kid knows that it is sunny in May, June and September, but generally p1ssing in July and August. A few extra hands for the harvest makes way more sense than the weather prospects.
ski holidays
All schools having the same feb half term just makes the problem worse..........bring back staggered half terms I say!
snow conditions
alexchapman wrote:
All schools having the same feb half term just makes the problem worse..........bring back staggered half terms I say!

Feb HT for 2012 is a week earlier than 2011, for most of the UK.
11th to 18th Feb (we have 3 families already booked)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy