Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Double standards for time off school of ski trips

Poster: A snowHead
billb, By the same token, if you don't want to 'have to' ski at half term, then don't teach, your call wink

Maybe we have just got lucky but we seem to be able to find reasonable good value s/c accommodation at New Year and Easter in decent resorts so that we are able to go twice as a family.

Also, don't forget that there are people who are unable to take holidays at Christmas, half term and Easter.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lou, Yes, we go at Easter sometimes (as well as Feb HT) and it's generally cheaper than Feb although the snow doesn't tend to be as good, does it. I'm afraid I've been teaching too long to change now - close to retirement. And guess what I intend to do then........
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awwww! no witty put down from TVOR. Maybe he needs another day or two to think about a decent reply. Cmon TVOR, posts something witty!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thornyhill, it's Saturday night. He may have a life! Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He has had an entire day, and based on his rantings I would think that the the idea that he can interact socially with others on a real time basis is a bit far fetched, so I would guess that even though he is 42, he has been sitting at home with his mum, on the internet connection she has paid for, trying to think up a witty retort. So lets have it TreVOR, astound me with the put down? Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thornyhill, no-o-o-ooo! You just ceded the high ground!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Damn!!! - I didn't even know I was holding it Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haven't read the previous 3 pages but, when I went on a school ski trips (approx. 40 kids out of the whole school) I don't recall any issues surrounding catching up on a week of work or having to do school work while I was away? Same for the kids who went on exchange trips etc
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't blame the teachers, blame the system. Attendance is a key piece of data that the bean counters look at about a school. If schools say ok to one family about term time hols they've got to say it to all and if you add up all those 'just one week in a year' across the school it's then got an attendance problem which can get the bean counters very concerned.

One of my year 8s turned up after a couple of days off last week - he'd been to Glastonbury - yes he did need to catch up and it can be a pain, but my feeling was lucky kid to get such a great experience at 13.

If this issue really annoys you don't just post your moans here - write to your MP! If enough people did it we might end up with rather more enlightened view of what 'education' is.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
miranda wrote:
If, say, schools in the North West had half term from the 19th February but schools in the South East moved their half term to the 26th February, how would this change the status quo with regard to half term childcare provision in any particular region?

I live near the South Yorks/Derbyshire border (which also is the border between Yorkshire and East Midlands). A number of my colleagues live in Derbyshire but work in Sheffield. One colleague the other year had no school holidays that he was off the same duration as his wife or kids. If you talk about NW/SE then fine, but somewhere there has to be a border and for those near it is is a major hassle.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sad Sounds like the UK has the worst of both worlds then - high holiday prices/resort crowding/travel congestion for the majority who have half term at the same time, and total inconvenience for others whose local schools don't coincide with everyone else.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, So the main reason for not staggering halfterms is to accomodate teachers who choose for personal reasons to teach in a different area from their kids? wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, it's not just teachers. Many of the kids go to school/college in a different area to their siblings who are at a "lower aged" school.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Many of the kids go to school/college in a different area to their siblings who are at a "lower aged" school.

indeed - I recall a few SHs had that exact problem a year or so ago. Children with different holidays.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We experienced one half-term when our three children and I (working in a school at the time) had half-terms that spanned three weeks - that was a bit of an organisational nightmare and a lot of calling in favours with friends and grannies.
snow conditions
billb wrote:
It amazes me how much people make excuses to justify what they want to do and pretend it's "good" for their chidren as well

It amazes me how someone can accuse others of pretending about specific people and situations of which he has no knowledge. A child would do well out of the influence of a teacher who leapt to conclusions without evidence.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-07-10 19:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
laundryman, are you complaining about unfounded assumptions and generalisations? What on earth are you doing on snowHeads? wink
ski holidays
It's probably good for some children, and not for others, and at some times rather than others. Caring and sensible parents will know which is which. Uncaring and stupid parents probably do lots of worse things than taking kids out of school for a holiday. My best year was when my Dad took his fortnight's holiday neatly coinciding with school exams. So I didn't miss anything which I had to write up afterwards. My friends were all green with envy. wink

My daughter and son in law are both teachers and say the key problem for schools is (as noted above more than once) bean counting. They say that were they not teachers they would have no qualms take their daughter (now aged 5 months....) out of school for a ski trip, but they did say it would be helpful if teachers were consulted about the best time to do it as some weeks are more critical than others.
ski holidays
Thornyhill, Just to put your mind at ease, I actually have a life away from the internet and it's wonderful forums at weekends, and only access it from work - winding up Jedi Knights passes the time, you see. Seems you are very passionate about your beliefs - the force is indeed strong with you.....

And just to clarify, I am not 42, do not live with my Mother, and she doesn't actually own a computer anyway. But thanks for being awesome, and caring enough to spend your Saturday night worrying about me.
snow report
Hurtle, laundryman, Well, OK, maybe. I (think) I was (trying) to make the point that there are (perhaps) some people who (may) do things which they (may) want to do and justify actions they (may) take to (perhaps) do them. But then all generalisations are dangerous including this one. Toofy Grin
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
If you talk about NW/SE then fine, but somewhere there has to be a border and for those near it is is a major hassle.

Not to mention language and currency exchange headaches!

Ooops! I got confused about what kind of "border"...
snow report
pam w wrote:
It's probably good for some children, and not for others, and at some times rather than others. Caring and sensible parents will know which is which. Uncaring and stupid parents probably do lots of worse things than taking kids out of school for a holiday.

The same is true of teachers though. There're good teachers who can help kids who've been sicked for 2 weeks to catch up without impacting the rest of the class, and bad teachers who can only shout marching order to a roomful of kids in varying degree of failing grade!
snow conditions
abc wrote:
The same is true of teachers though. There're good teachers who can help kids who've been sicked for 2 weeks to catch up without impacting the rest of the class, and bad teachers who can only shout marching order to a roomful of kids in varying degree of failing grade!

There are good teachers who can help kids who've been off sick for 2 weeks to catch up without having too much impact on the rest of the class, but there's bound to be at least a small impact on the others. And there are good teachers with very difficult classes who wouldn't be able to devote the time to the kids who've been off that they'd like to.
snow report
I haven't read this thread, but our school attendance is apparently falling, and the head has decided that allow parents to request up to 10 days holidays is the fault (of course its not down to all those parents who claim illness where there isn't to go shopping and who let little Johnney bunk off without recourse rolling eyes ). He decided yesterday to reduce this number to 5 days. Any parents that have already put in requests for next year for > 5 days and that have already been granted will not have this revoked. However, any new requests will only get 5 days. I am sitting here knowing that I wanted 7 for next Jan for the last 3 months, but as per what I thought was the case I hadn't put in the request and wasn't going to until the Autumn term. Now I can only have 5 days and in the expectation that I would get what was granted this year had already booked the accommodation - the school does say don't book until things are granted, but I assumed there was a reasonable expectation of the status quo being maintained next year and as you all know you have to book up some things early for skiing so we had gone ahead and booked the accommodation.

Just a tad put out at this end, as now I will only get 5 days and so we will miss two of our days booked accommodation. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
I'm known for getting "unexpectedly delayed" at the end of the holiday rather often, if you know what I mean... Wink
snow conditions
Oh dear megamum could you send a grovelling letter to the head explaining you have booked and ask if you could have the 2 extra days on this occasion only?

We have just had 5 days authorised for next Jan (children are 8 and 5) and am feeling very relieved that we can go skiing in a cheaper less crowded week.

I wonder if the reason more people are asking for term time hols is due to the economic climate and people having pay frozen, bonuses cut etc. I would also not be surprised if more people who ski ask for term time hols next season due to the complications of sunday changeover over Christmas/New Year, all areas having the same half term(therefore even busier than usual) and Easter falling late.

Our school has changed the rules slightly this year saying you have to have 95% attendance in the previous academic year otherwise hols won't be authorised.
snow conditions
Megamum, I'll think you'll find that your kids get terrible stomach upsets on the last of the agreed 5 days wink
latest report
Megamum wrote:
... any new requests will only get 5 days. I am sitting here knowing that I wanted 7 for next Jan for the last 3 months, but as per what I thought was the case I hadn't put in the request and wasn't going to until the Autumn term. Now I can only have 5 days and in the expectation that I would get what was granted this year had already booked the accommodation ...

I'd write to the Head to explain your situation and ask for an exception to be made.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What is annoying is that one of mine won't be joining her school mates for the 5 wasted days out of school attending the trip to the Isle of Wight in August either so in theory she could make up the time. Also, our head was one of those that said all the kids that wanted to could go home and watch the England WC football match and mine didn't go home rolling eyes My situation is made a tad more awkward that I am a school governor - I abstained from the vote for 5 days only!
snow report
Megamum,

Quote:

the 5 wasted days out of school attending the trip to the Isle of Wight in August either so in theory she could make up the time.

surely not going to IoW in August are they - don't all schools have at least August off as holiday.

I would do as rob@rar, has suggested, if you would not normally write to ask for permission till the same academic year.
latest report
Sorry folks IOW trip is in June
snow conditions
The kids took my request for the 7 days in today - but I doubt it will be granted. They took the decision yesterday rolling eyes and that was the cut-off - I was at the meeting. I wouldn't mind betting they specified that cut-off as they knew I was there and had an issue with it.
ski holidays
I could understand it if mine needed all the education the school could offer, but my pair are amongst the brightest kids at the school rolling eyes
latest report
As a governor however you've only yourself to blame - if you didn't stand up for your position or against arbitrary rule changes or agree a grandfathering provision for those that got their requests in quick.
snow report
fatbob, I did, I even abstained from voting, I was in a difficult position. In theory you can't deny that kids should be in school during term time.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
In theory you can't deny that kids should be in school during term time.

"In theory", kids should be educated, not imprison, in school.

There's a difference between the two.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

True. which is why parents get the option - put your kids in school and hand over their education to the professionals, or choose to home educate them to your own curriculum and own term dates.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, Actually, I have often considered home ed. I could do it and I think end up doing a fair job, but its a job in itself and if you have work to pay the bills there isn't the time to do it.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
I could understand it if mine needed all the education the school could offer, but my pair are amongst the brightest kids at the school rolling eyes

Think of it this way, there will be children in their classes who do need all the education the school could offer, and their education will be disrupted in some shape or form ....

We here, know the benefits of a family ski trip (and I have taken the boys out once for 4 days for a ski holiday some years back) but sadly there aren't many suitable times within the ski season where it is more appropritate to miss school. I find that exasperating, particularly when they waste so much time at other times and close the (primary) school at the drop of a hat but that's life.

Our secondary has an activity week (this week as it happens) where they get to do different things, trips, sports, etc - now if that could just be moved to early spring term..........
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:
abc wrote:

True. which is why parents get the option - put your kids in school and hand over their education to the professionals, or choose to home educate them to your own curriculum and own term dates.

Parents also have the option to request up to 10 days off for a family holiday at many schools.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy