Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Double standards for time off school of ski trips

Poster: A snowHead
If you want to take your child out of school during term time to get a reduced rate ski holiday you can get fined.
But
If the schools want to send your child home early so they can watch the TV, that's OK.

Puzzled Should the head teacher not be fined

See ( Education Act sec.444 )

OK I know what clause 9 says but still.... fine em all I say Toofy Grin

PS. Please don't call as the office is now closed for stock taking (until we beat Slovenia) Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne wrote:
If you want to take your child out of school during term time to get a reduced rate ski holiday you can get fined.

What? Can you? By whom?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulio,
See ( Education Act sec.444 c 8 )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, simply get your kid into a school, move house so that you're more than 3 miles away, and then do as you please thereafter. Nice tip, thanks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes but i clearly need to go and worship the pagan god of snow and therefore

"on any day exclusively set apart for religious observance by the religious body to which his parent belongs."

would surely cover it Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kevindonkleywood, interesting take on it, but if their parents were snow gods they would be allowed time off too Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

paulio
super-snowHead
Posts: 4741So, simply get your kid into a school, move house so that you're more than 3 miles away, and then do as you please thereafter. Nice tip, thanks.

no... dont forget the bit that says

"AND
(b) that no suitable arrangements have been made by the local education authority or the funding authority for any of the following—
..."

only if BOTH (a) and (b) are satisfied can you get away with it.

probably quite expensive to move house before every ski trip anyway.. Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You know you can ask permission from the head teacher, and if granted there is no hassle..... Sounds a bit indeterminate until you chip in that the school is planning a school trip for *insert class here* to see *insert non educational thing to see here* - If you don't get permission the school can never organise another school trip, as the kids will be out of class for the duration of the trip and you will be able to complain that whatever it is they are doing isn't part of the curriculum. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're lucky in that our kids school are pretty decent about taking time off - especially for something that will benefit them like a winter sports holiday. However, I know of friends at other schools who have been given a really hard time for taking their kids out. But when you look at the difference in price of holidays in school time compared to half-term who can blame them ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne, FWIW I feel the same way and agree wholeheartedly with your OP, apart from the PS wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or alternatively get permission, take kids and don't get fined Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris, my sisters school has zero tolerance (in they wont authorise any holidays) but I think you'd have to do it a lot to get fined.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you went down to your local Thomas Cook and booked a holiday outside term breaks, what it the fine ?

If, in the same way that in London it's sometimes cheaper to pay a parking ticket that use a car park, the difference in holiday costs (between official school holidays and other dates) were more than the cost of the fine,,,,.....,,,, ya never know, may be worth just paying the fine.

I really don't believe that a child's education will be disrupted in anyway by missing out 1 week's worth of school time. And, if it allows a family break that would not otherwise be possible, where’s the harm
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott, Strange, I was under the belief that the education act actually provided for a 'maximum of 2 weeks' in which parents may legaly take their children out of school. I appreciate that some schools may well have a zero tolerance approach to non authorised absences but they should follow the rules on authorised absence. EDIT Subject to the head teachers approval or the approval of anyone delegated by the governing body

Yes children's education does suffer with persiatant absence from school but any school that believes that the childs education will markedly suffer by a single absence to allow them to experience another country in the company of their parents/guardians whilst participating in an aerobic physical activity is clearly delivering an inadequate provision.

Having said that yes its worse to take children out at certian key times of year exams etc.

A zero tolerance approach may be because they dont want their ofsted figures to look poor, but then there is a big diference between authorised and unauthorised absence in the eyes of ofsted. So by not authorising holidays they actually force parents to take unauthorised holiday which will make their numbers look very poor indead.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stagger the holidays?
snow report
kevindonkleywood, often it's not the kid that is taken out for a week that suffers - it's the rest of the kids in the class that have to wait while they catch up. In my experience, the ones that are at the top of the class are the ones who have parents that would never allow them out during term time!
snow report
Elizabeth B, huh?
Catch up a week of school work??? For a kid that's doing well in school? Not in my experience (maybe in math if you've started a new subject, maybe). Also, I don't find that your second statement matches my experience. What ages are you talking about?
snow report
Elizabeth B, So you are saying that if one student misses a week, the others in the class sit there for the week and twiddle their thumbs! Puzzled I dont think so!

If ANY child "suffers", it will be the one that misses that week. It is then up to the child, their parents and the school to ensure that they catch up quickly!
snow report
Roy Hockley, if lots of different children all take a week or two off at various times of the year it can be disruptive because the teacher will want to help each child catch up with any work missed. Unless, of course, you think it is acceptable for the teacher to say "I'm sorry but you missed the introduction to this topic when you were in Disneyworld so you're just going to have to struggle along and maybe ask your classmates for help"...?
ski holidays
Is it really too much to expect the 'rents to take their little darlings on their hollybobs in the school holidays? They get what, 16 weeks or so in which to try and squeeze their annual trip to Prestatyn, so why do they feel they have a god given right to take an extra couple of weeks on top?

Would these be the same 'rents who would then start to moan in the event of teachers nipping off to get in a bit of R&R in the middle of exams? Or who would start campaigning the Governers and head teachers should the school fancy changing a few things around to the detriment of little Cressidas' education?

Yes? Hmmm, thought so......
snow report
In these days of cutbacks in the public sector would it not be sensible to have longer school holidays in the winter, no need to heat light etc all those huge school buildings,
3 weeks hols at Xmas and say another 3 for half term and another 3 for Easter.
That'll sort out them TO's as well Toofy Grin
hey theres even a road safety and environmental benefit .................
snow report
I never had any problems with taking my son out of school or college for skiing trips, however I think that because skiing was part of his course from the age of 13 to 18 might have helped a little Madeye-Smiley

Are there schools that organise school ski trips during term time??
ski holidays
It won't be long before they discuss fundamental changes to education and the school year anyway - the current model is outdated and no longer fit for purpose.....I would expect there to be a degree of flexibility with regards to holidays to be part of this.....
snow report
I missed 14 weeks in 3rd form (now year 9) ... had a french exam immediately after return - got my worst ever mark... around 80%IIRC... Made no real difference in any other subjects that I can remember... Maybe I'd have done a little better short term - but caught up pretty quickly.

I was given 'homework' for the 14 weeks but was somehow always too busy to do any Smile

What difference is a week or so going to make to the average student really? Will they learn more from some travel and life experience?
ski holidays
Elizabeth B wrote:
kevindonkleywood, often it's not the kid that is taken out for a week that suffers - it's the rest of the kids in the class that have to wait while they catch up. In my experience, the ones that are at the top of the class are the ones who have parents that would never allow them out during term time!

I must have been the exception that proved the rule. And my two daughters. Toofy Grin
snow report
Education Act Section 444 Subs. 2 wrote:
Subsections (3) to (6) below apply in proceedings for an offence under this section in respect of a child who is not a boarder at the school at which he is a registered pupil

So it's quite clear, just get the kids to snowboard rather than ski and you're off to the mountains safe and sound... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
there are other considerations.. those of us who sensibly had kids young and now want to enjoy the peace and quiet of term tiem holidays.. wink nothing is worse than having a calm tranquil term time trip disrupted by stressed out parents with kids having fun,!
ski holidays
My parents took us out of (primary) school for a week most years to go on holiday, which was always the week before we broke up for half term in May. We were given work by the school that we were going to miss (my parents asked as well from what I remember). Never seemed to affect any of us, we all still got good grades at SATS etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I love these threads, always anecdotal and from the view point of one individual ....... but add up all the individual posts akin to the 'it never did any harm to my Tarquin/Bella' and group them together and consider the dispruption for the teacher and rest of class due to a kid missing every week of the ski season wink

Stop being selfish tight wads and take your kids on holdidays at the times prescribed Laughing
snow conditions
rayscoops, I'm sure some kids need heaps of catch up coaching if they miss a few days. Some should probably be kept in for extra over the holidays too so they don't hold up the bright kids. Horses for courses. wink
snow report
There're indeed two sides of any coin.

For some kids were only marginally keeping up, missing a full week could be devastating. Parents aren't always the best judges in knowing how their kids are REALLY doing in school. Teachers are probably the better judge, BUT NOT ALWAYS.

For many other parents and kids, this should be taken seriously.

1) Even for kids who have no trouble in school, having to catch up a week of material isn't always trivil. So plan need to be made to cover that. (I did leave school rather often for sports, I had to self-study in the evening to make up the lectures I missed in some cases -- AFTER a full day of intense exercise)

2) Parents might have to choose carefully WHEN to take the kid out of school so as to minimize the impact.

3) Parents may wish/need to help their kids to plan out how to make up the missing work.

The above exercise is great for preparing the kid as an independent student who will study on his/her own, outside the forced structure of school work. And will make for a better overall student!!! Very Happy
snow report
Roy Hockley wrote:
Elizabeth B, So you are saying that if one student misses a week, the others in the class sit there for the week and twiddle their thumbs! Puzzled I dont think so!

I'll give you an actual real life example then.

This term I was working with a group of 7 young people who bummed out at school. Each week the work we did built upon what they had learned the previous week.
Week 1 & 2, child A was off on a holiday
Week 3, child B was off, and I had to devote a large amount of class time supporting child A so that they could understand what we were doing.
Week 4 & 5, child C was on holiday. Child A still hadn't caught up, and I was needing to try and catch child B up also. Consequently, children D, E, F & G did not get anywhere near enough of my attention for them to get the most out of my lesson.
latest report
I think this is what's missing:

rob@rar wrote:
Roy Hockley, if lots of different children all take a week or two off at various times of the year it can be disruptive because the teacher will want to help each child catch up with any work missed. Unless, of course, you think it is acceptable for the teacher to say "I'm sorry but you missed the introduction to this topic when you were in Disneyworld so you're just going to have to struggle along and maybe ask your classmates for help"...?

I do think it's acceptable.

And I also think it's fair for a teacher to say to the parents: "This is what we'll be covering during the week. You child must be at THIS level when he comes back to class. Or you'll be fined for taking unauthorized time off school".

At least that's how it was when I was in school (which was a long while back).
snow report
At our local senior school, pupils with relatives on the sub-continent seem to have no trouble getting extended holidays during term time. So how about the excuse of "I need to take a week off to visit my sick uncle in Meribel\Whistler\Wengen (delete as appropriate)?" It's only fair....
ski holidays
abc wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
...unless you think it is acceptable for the teacher to say "I'm sorry but you missed the introduction to this topic when you were in Disneyworld so you're just going to have to struggle along and maybe ask your classmates for help"...?

Which is fine, I suppose, until the teacher who has declined to offer 'catch-up' support to X% of kids in their class needs to explain why the exam results for the class as a whole aren't as good as expected.
ski holidays
I agree with both rob@rar, and abc, Puzzled

The children that miss that week, will presumably catch up with the help of the teachers or from their parents or indeed from "grinds"! I assume you have that in the UK (common place in Ireland) where the teachers do "nixers" out of hours to help the children and increase their income! The tax man does not need to know!

If the teachers in the UK do not satisfy their stats can they be fired? Here it is next to impossible to get rid of tired and jaded teachers from the profession! Even though their seems to be an amount of qualified teachers trying to get a start!

All in all, I would take the children out (providing it is not exam years) and have a good holiday! May be different in the UK than here but I know of children (primary) that come home from school with a note saying that it is a teacher training day on "Friday" so the parents have take time off work / find carers etc. I can not comment on my time as is was in another millenium! I started boarding at the age of 7! Not the (dark side) boarding BTW wink
snow conditions
Reading through the post I gather that some people think that children could catch up with any sections of their education that they miss out on due to taking a ski holiday during term time. Others believe that the child couldn't catch up and still others think that it would be disruptive to their peers.

This all pre-supposes and assumes that each week of a child's school time is important, as they are busy being taught XY or Z by a diligent teaching staff imparting, each day, the building blocks of an overall education. Sorry but we all know this is not true.

The amount of time wasting, fiddling class results in the name of statistics, down-right stupid teaching sessions on made-up non-subjects, politically correct involvement sessions, child-interaction rubbish, etc, etc, etc. Make all this slightly academic (pun intended).

There is nothing to be lost by taking children out of school for the odd week.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 28-06-10 20:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
abc wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
...unless you think it is acceptable for the teacher to say "I'm sorry but you missed the introduction to this topic when you were in Disneyworld so you're just going to have to struggle along and maybe ask your classmates for help"...?

Which is fine, I suppose, until the teacher who has declined to offer 'catch-up' support to X% of kids in their class needs to explain why the exam results for the class as a whole aren't as good as expected.

I think there seems to be a shift in mentality/expectation of teachers vs pupils these days compared to my days in school.

When I went to school, there're more pupils per teacher. So there's lower expectation of teacher helping individual pupil. If a pupil couldn't understand the "standard teaching", yes, extra attention was given. But if the pupil is plain lazy or gone on holidays for a week, it's not the expectation for the teacher to make up the shortfall!

So in my school days, it's implicit that any parents who took their kids out of class understood their kids would be on their own as far as catching up in missed school works! Any parents who took their kid out of school with poor result will be denied the next time they request such.

My parents approach was assign a time for me to self-study the material being covered during the time. (yes, my parents took me out of school for holiday too Very Happy).

If I were a teacher (which I'm' not), I would make it clear I would ONLY give permission ON THE CONDITION that they come back at the same level as the class! (as such, I would probably deny such request for pupils who're already marginal academically!)
ski holidays
abc,
Quote:

assign a time for me to self-study the material being covered during the time
Indeed, surely that's key. My parents negotiated that with my teachers and everyone stuck to the deal. No problem.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
When I went to school, there're more pupils per teacher. So there's lower expectation of teacher helping individual pupil. If a pupil couldn't understand the "standard teaching", yes, extra attention was given. But if the pupil is plain lazy or gone on holidays for a week, it's not the expectation for the teacher to make up the shortfall!

Were your teachers, or perhaps the school as a whole, ever assessed by how well the kids did?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy