Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who makes the moguls?

Poster: A snowHead
Dave Barry (see"skiing would be fine .... if it wasn't for the gravity" ) has at last exposed what those Pesky Pistie Beasties actually do (Grab Gravity).
But have you ever seen a Mogul Maker?
My grandpa said they were tree-trunks. Mates try to kid they are made by skiers Shock . Rubbish! They're all in the bar - when are they supposed to be bounding around the piste building moguls?
So, who makes the moguls?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I headr rumour that actually moguls are snowboarders who sit down for too long whilst it's snowing...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The mogul monster- obviously! pffh and they call me thick!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nope, it's Kevin McClean.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alan Craggs, prove it!

Even if he does, I do a better job! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ahhh - now that Kevin has achieved mythical status (I suspect he may have been one of H.P. Lovecraft's "Old Ones") proof will be tricky. However, are you saying that you have never chanced upon a mogul field where no Hultquist has gone before?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alan Craggs, not in many a year, my friend. But, living in Colorado has its drawbacks... Why go anywhere else? Wink snowHead Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mmm - the provincial mindset at work.. A few years back I saw a couple in Murren create a mogul field where once only snowsnakes and marmots roamed. Now if only I could find the video...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alan Craggs, I had fun building moguls last time I was at Breck. Skiing in about 2' of crud and finding the moguls for our "off piste" application exam was a blast. I actually had a huge smile on my face for that! snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nice one Steve - I'm off to bed now (2 am get up Evil or Very Mad )
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Mogul Monster

Nadenoodlee, I think you might have cracked it.
Often while on a chairlift I have seen those tracks in the snow below. Where do they come from? Where do they go? What makes them?
Of course! They are Mogul Monster tracks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Exactly- weve all seen the tracks- too small for a human, too big for a mountain cow/goat etc - its the mogul monster! Glad to find a fellow believer Jonpim!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mountain moles,i've seen them while walking back from pub when on skiing hols
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apparently - and I'm sure ssh/SG can correct me - in some of the US resorts, the Pistie Beasties have mogul-maker attachments. Don't quite know how they work, but somehow collect the snow into "funnels" that then deposit a nice neat pyramid of hardpack. Best of all, they're regularly spaced as well.

Well, that's what my instructor told me last week, but perhaps she was just yanking my chain...
ski holidays
You just ruined my childhood dream Masopa
latest report
Nadenoodlee, don't believe him! Wink
latest report
masopa, there are grooming machines that can do that, but they are not usually used for recreational pistes (instead reserved for competitive mogul slopes). However, I have heard that they are used at times.

Give me real moguls any day.

I do a much better job than those beasts! Twisted Evil
snow report
Im only young- I still have hope and stuff SSH, and im sure he was just lying
snow report
Nadenoodlee, I know. I've seen your picture, luv! NehNeh
snow conditions
I havent seen yours! Thats not fair
ski holidays
Writing about Pistie Beasties,
Masopa wrote:

then deposit a nice neat pyramid of hardpack
Excuse me, but I think you are suggesting that moguls are just piles of Pistie Beastie dung! Sad .
Surely not.
I still go for the Mogul Monster - they must exist as someone has written a book about them: "Tale of the Mogul Monster" .
latest report
aha!! proof !! now we'll see who is right!
snow report
Right you are!

Now you'll all know... geek version and preacher version! Guess which picture is older... Cool
snow report
now were even!
snow conditions
ssh, having looked at your website I suspect you are a "consultant". I refer you to joke number one in the joke thread .
I must warn you that you are third up against the wall come the revolution, after Lawyers and People wearing daft fleece hats (according to MarkP in "Things that make you look like a punter" .)
As I have one of those hats, I'll be up there with you Sad
latest report
Laughing
Its never to late to ditch the hat. You know you wanna...
snow conditions
Jonpim, it's worse than that. I'm an analyst! Wink At least this week... Shocked Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK . . . I'll go with the flow.
I can understand the need to know how to ski moguls . . . BUT what possible pleasure do you achieve from it?
And WHY fer f***'s sake do you take so much pleasure from creating them? When 95% (ok that's not empirical) of everyone I meet on the hill hates them!

and why do you insist on doing it in places that force EVERYONE to deal withy them! I'm thinking of becoming a biathelete just for the opportunity to carry a weapon on the piste and 'deal' with the problem. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 25-03-04 9:49; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Ssh - is that hell fire in the background of the Preacher Version ? Twisted Evil

On thread - don't care who or what makes 'em - I'm with Masque and avoid them if at all possible. Cool
ski holidays
Masque, One of my instructors hit it on the head. He said that many of his clients dream of being able to ski moguls well, but never want to learn (they'd rather stick to flat steep slopes when on-piste).

For those of us (minority - you are certainly right) who enjoy the challenge, it's more a case of seeing the few expert mogul skiers bombing between the bumps and thinking, "I wish I could do that". And trying and trying until finally we don't fall over as much.

It's also good for scaring fellow (beginner) skiers. Showed one of our party the bottom half of Grand Couloir from the cable car and he decided I was completely mad. Had I just shown him a steep slope, I'm sure he would have just thought I was slightly mad.

Incidentally, I'm not a good skier at all - just enjoy challenges. I can't ski moguls with anything approaching grace or style, in fact I'm usually very happy if I get down without my bindings releasing. You don't have to be good to want to ski moguls, just slightly insane.
snow conditions
masopa,
You’re missing my point! Moguls are not a natural phenomenon . . . they are the result of deliberate intent, poor technique or skiers over estimating their prowess and forever putting the brakes on.
Yeh boarders do the same, but they spend less time on the piste and they tend to scrape the piste flat.
Moguls are an entirely avoidable waste of snow!
ski holidays
Don't think I'm missing the point - most people don't like them, so why do they exist? Well, the pistes would be really boring if they all looked the same, so having a bit of variety is good. Perhaps towards the end of the day, too many slopes have moguls - caused, as you rightly say, but skiers progressively trying to avoid the bumps (bit like the phenomenon that caused the millenium bridge start to swing in London).

I would like to see a variety of slopes with decent moguls on - not just really steep stuff, but shallower slopes too, to practice technique. However, since I'm in the minority, I realise that in an "ideal" resort, probably only 5 or so percent of slopes would be mogulled.

Also, they're not avoidable. All you need is one skier who comes to a rapid stop on a slope and you've got the beginning of a bump. Quite often skiers like a point of reference in the snow to force a turn - an oncoming bump (no matter how tiny) can often be used as that - it's natural. So what you have is a bump of ever increasing proportions throughout the day as more skiers turn before the bump, piling it ever higher.

It's a bit like saying the millenium bridge didn't have to swing because nobody forced people to walk in time. True, but it's human nature - try stopping that!

Incidentally, having people who enjoy bumps may actually help to diminish the moguls - sometimes I'll ski between bumps, sometimes I'll ski over the top of them - depend how I feel. At least I'm not constantly piling more snow onto the bump...
snow conditions
Quote:

Also, they're not avoidable. All you need is one skier who comes to a rapid stop on a slope and you've got the beginning of a bump

It's not just skiers coming to a rapid stop, it's any skier, however good, making a turn.

You can't turn, not even a perfect carve, without putting horizontal forces on the snow. This will push it sideways and start creating a bump. Moguls are the natural result of a few skiers turning roughly the same radius turns.
snow report
Now now, boys. Play nicely. Any anyway, EVERYONE knows moguls are just badly parked VW Bugs, covered in snow. What I want to know, is where do they store them in the summer?? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
You just ruined my childhood dream Masopa

Don't panic, Nadenoodlee, it's not that the Mogul Monsters don't exist, it's just in America they shot them all years ago, believing that was a *good thing to do*, now they realise it wasn't that clever, apart from some of them, who make a fortune designing and building machines to replace the Monsters that they killed.
You see, there's this line in the American Constitution which says "One Nation, on the Snow, with Liberty and Justice for all (except Mogul Monsters)"
It's there in black and white. The bit about the Mogul Monsters was added as part of the second amendment, which, as everyone one knows is all about every town having the right to form an armed militia to protect them from attack.
Of course, before the Mogul Monsters saw the men shooting guns at them, they were shy, but friendly creatures, who would help skiers, and built there moguls every night, and some even during the day. Then after the first shootings, they started to fear the guns, and hide in caves. Then they were hunted down and shot, and that is why there are no Mogul Monsters in America, the land of the free, unless you're a Mogul Monster.

snowHead
ski holidays
snow report
OK, now i need to cry, pass a tissue, quick... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
So . . . what you're all saying is . . . moguls are the result of lazy, incompetent skiers. It’s so nice to have this confirmed by the guilty parties themselves.

I must have a chat with my fellow sliders to see what can be done about it.
Wink
latest report
Masque, instead of wearing slightly soiled Monkey suits, why not buy Mogul Monster suits, and move back to Septicland. Then you can be shot were you sit on the slopes, and form moguls for us skiers to enjoy. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy