Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stopover between Lyons & LDA?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know a good place for an overnight stopover somewhere between Lyons & Les Deux Alpes please?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's not far! Grenoble is not a bad place to spend some time, plenty of hotels there, Ibis in the centre of town. 90 minutes or so then to LDA.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, Doh! I know its not far - but having driven from Calais that day, I need to be a stones throw from LDA for a flying visit, before heading south. Was hoping for somewhere a bit more rural than Grenoble town centre
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
genepi, I've only ever stopped off in Grenoble or gone all the way to LDA. Bourge d'Oisans is only a stones throw. Lizzard or Easiski would be your best bet for advice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TBH, I'd just get driving and reach the resort. The traffic from Grenoble/Lyons up the Romanche valley can lay waste to the best-laid plans.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
genepi, Bourg d'Oisans or Vizille would probably be a good option.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plenty of hotels in Bourg d'Oisans but if Les Deux Alpes is your target by the time you reach there you may as well press on for the resort!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
genepi, It really isn't worth stopping if you've got to Lyon - 2 and a bit hours. there are 2 motels around Bourg en Bresse onthe motorway before Lyon (well, going round it). TBH if you get to Vizille or Bourg d'Oisans you're so nearly there you might as well press on. I regularly do Calais to here in the van - about 12 hours. When I had a car it was about 10 hours - that's driving on my own and stopping for coffee and rests about every 2 hours or so.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just looked in my "Special Places to Stay in France" by Alistair Sawday (there are versions for several other countries in the series). I have always found them good. There were two between Lyons and Grenoble, near Bourgoin Jallieu. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll scan the page in my book and send it to you. Only one has a website and it is the one that is a very small detour off your route (the other is almost precisely on it). it is www.le-traversoud.com (the rooms look nice).
Or you could go on the Alistair Sawday website yourself http://www.sawdays.co.uk and click on MAPS and then click on more and more detailed ones (France - Rhone Valley) till you get to Isere region and click on the yellow blobs which look possible. If you don't sign up for the site (free) you only get a very abbreviated review.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd just like to point out here that Lyon does not have an s on the end.

And if you want to stop, I'd do it there or before - not much point when you're within spitting distance of resort.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, phew, glad to see I didn't commit that offence.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Lizzard, it does in English, as does Marseille(s) and R(h)eims gains an 'h'.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, if we're insisting on calling places Mumbai and whatever it is that Burma is being referred to these days, we can pander to French notions of spelling as well. Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Hmmph, where's your esprit de Dunkerque? rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are you sure it's not just that there are aeroports de Lyons??? Meaning both St Exupery (Lyon) and St Geoirs (Grenoble)??
latest report
Quote:

it does in English, as does Marseille(s).

and Paris(s) wink
snow report
I am very unclear why genepi is being urged to go on to LDA. He asked for a place a bit short of LDA which seems reasonable. Places in most ski resorts will be very reluctant to book for one night while places elsewhere will usually be happy to.

I have used the Sawday books / website on numerous spring and summer holidays and have always been happy with the choices. They are always charming and often a bit quirky and mostly relatively cheap. Does anyone else on here use them?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 22-06-10 14:22; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 brian
brian
easiski, no, it may be somewhat archaic but Lyon does have a different spelling in English. Explained here:

http://www.linguism.co.uk/language/french-place-names-in-english

Of course, like most people, I normally just use the French version, but I know Lizzard does like to be correct on the detail. wink
snow report
brian,
Quote:

Of course, like most people, I normally just use the French version, but I know Lizzard does like to be correct on the detail.
Quite so. Thank you, as ever, for your learned contribution.
ski holidays
Perhaps it should be Lyon's or even Lyons'
snow report
snowball, the Alastair Sawday books are a good read certainly - we stayed somewhere in Gloucestershire a few years ago in a very old house featured. Friends of ours near Petworth have now ventured into B&B and their house is in Alastair Sawday
snow report
snowball, it would depend when Genepi is planning on visiting. She doesn't say if it is a winter visit or not.
ski holidays
Colin B Very Happy

Lyon (French pronunciation: [ljɔ̃]); Arpitan: Liyon, IPA: [ʎjɔ̃]; English: /liːˈɒn/ or anglicized as Lyons /ˈlaɪ.ənz/) - Wikipedia

Hells Bells, I didn't think of that - just assumed it was winter..
ski holidays
Maybe genepi just wants a good night's kip before her flying visit? stop a bit short, then early start the next day (and to get up the mountain in daylight) but still fresh enough to go onwards to the final destination.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, it's quite a long way up that mountain after a long days drive from Calais.
snow conditions
Well, thanks for the input, everyone! Heading there next weekend, aiming for lunch on Monday, before travelling further south - husband has a conference near Montpellier, so visiting daughter there too Very Happy

The idea was as Holidaylover suggested - a good nights kip before heading up a unknown mountain. Hope to take in a bit of a walk before visiting busy son (& dropping off his mountain biking gear) & getting some lunch for our troubles Toofy Grin

Maybe we'll get back there for a longer visit later in the summer.

Do you think it would be too busy just to find somewhere on spec? Not having done that drive before, I dont know how far we could easily manage in a day. Not keen on overdoing the driving - unlike our winter trips when time spent in the car is precious skiing time wasted!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
genepi, you'd probably be OK in Grenoble or one of the auto-route side places. bit more of a gamble if you head up to Vizille or Bourg d'Oisans. if it was me, i'd probably go for Grenoble if i was expecting to have time for a bit of dinner and a walk around in the evening
latest report
genepi, I think you should stay in the Hotel Sandra at Vizille - I've always been curious as to what it's like. You can walk around the chateau grounds and feed the ridiculously huge trout while you're at it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We drove down to Meribel starting from London in early morning - put car on the train to France and arrived at Meribel at tea time, watching the last skiers coming down the mountain while we drank it. (that was with 2 drivers so almost no stopping time).
snow report
Should LDA have an apostrophe a lower case letter or a number, or was the original correct?
snow report
Enough with the apostrophes. Colin B was joking (I hope!)
However for Alp d'Huez you could make a case for AdH
ski holidays
snowball, oops getting my Oisans in a twist Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy