Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 days in Val D'isere is simply too much for me.........

Poster: A snowHead
D G Orf wrote:
And of course the Swiss have noise police Shocked I kid you not Shocked Shocked

Is that correct Puzzled

that's interesting. Could have done with some noise police on the first night of ski holiday at the Hotel Eiger( avoid the front of the hotel facing the high street! ) in Grindelwald. A terrible racket from a disco across the road at 1:30am - made a strong complaint to the hotel mangement, who sort of sorted it out - the volumn went down for a while. Started again at 3:00am with cars departing!. So much for a decent night's sleep on the first day rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
laundryman wrote:
D G Orf, do they race to noise-crime scenes with sirens blaring? Confused

I wish they had with batons drawn Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hibernia, Yep or at least they do in Wengen, wo betide those who ignore the requests of the police to be quiet, they actually walk up and down the high street late at night (the only time you see any police in Wengen normally) and shhh anyone raising their voice above quiet conversation level Shocked Perhaps it's a local thing I imagine ise would know
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf, actually, I think it's a good idea. I've had disturbed nights in Megève occasionally: caused by French drunks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hibernia wrote:
D G Orf wrote:
And of course the Swiss have noise police Shocked I kid you not Shocked Shocked

Is that correct Puzzled

Not as such. It would come under the remit of the municipal police though, they will tend to take matter pretty seriously. It's not really a significant issue in most areas though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kevin mcclean, sounds like it's back to Andermatt for you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No, I think he genuinely wants to perform a bit of social reform in Val d'Isere. Return the village to land-owning farmers, with 'Edwardian' British tourists doffing their hats to the locals. Turn Dicks T-bar into a hay-floored barn for the winter refuge of cattle. Make Scrabble the only legal form of apres-ski. Allow the Swiss to take over policing of the resort.

I live for the day that a statue of Kevin McClean is built in the main street of Val d'Isere, with a suitable inscription of his reformist quotations.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I look forward to it David, as much as I look forward to owning a Range Rover. Tally ho all you pseudo-liberals!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise, Ah that explains things as I know they are not members of the other police (Kantonal polezi ?) Could you explain the different police in Switzerland ?

I think it occurs in Wengen because of the large numbers of hotel rooms that face the main street combined with the high numbers of families with young kids in those same rooms
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

the difference is that the Swiss tend to obey the laws where as the French ignore any they don't like, thus the Swiss use the bins ............
and the english (Islanders)use the bins and bags supplied when they stay in the region !!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, yes, but very very quietly.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hibernia, the noise wasn't coming from the disco below the Sunstar, was it? (opposite the Firstbahn)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Manda - not it was not the Sunstar, but a disco bar dirrectly opposite the Eiger Hotel Further down about 100 yards from the Firstbahn but on the other side of bteh road.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kevin, one of the reasons we moved from the UK was to escape from the likes of people you describe. Unfortunately, come holiday time, some appear here and my immediate reaction is that... 'why don't you p.ss off back home?' But on reflection this behaviour must be due to massive personal insecurities and so I just feel glad that I'm not like that.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have only just got over the work backlog caused by spending last week in Tignes and have now got the time to look at Snowheads Sad
Kevin and I must have been in Espace Killy at the same time - Hi!
Tignes was fairly civilised I thought, there was actually greeting going on in the mornings as lift passes were being inspected (a first for me when skiing in France - I have learnt to expect at best a grunt in response to my morning "Bonjour").

I have yet to ski in a French resort where the dog poo did not become an issue as the snow melted in the Spring. We once went dog sledding near Tremblant and the dogs were kept individually chained in a vast stockade and we did wonder what the smell must be like in the spring Skullie

Santons (the only blue connecting Tignes to VDI) was horrible and slushy by mid-morning and was not impoved by the fact that the black which runs parallel (Epaule) was closed producing rather a "mix" of abilities using the same slope.

What we noticed most on our excursions to VDI from Tignes (other than Santons!) was how empty the upper slopes were - perhaps the English Yobs were still recovering from the previous day's apres-ski wink

Having said all that, since we are going to have to ski late season again next year, I suspect that it will be either Tignes again or Val Thorens.
snow conditions
Come off it! All us beer swilling, high Euro spending Brits are lining the pockets of the ingrate Kermits. If they're unhappy, let them be heard. Otherwise sod off to your liberal resorts and leave VDI to those who enjoy it for what it has become.
snow conditions
Look at it positively.

The Val d' Isere you describe is not my by experience, but for some people it could be a golden opportunity to pick fights with posh people.

People who have football hooliganism as a major leisure pursuit often now have the money to ski anywhere they choose. Hooliganism can be enjoyed well into middle age, if newspaper crime reports are anything to go by.

What better holiday than a weeks skiing in a top class resort and a tear up with some toffs ?

Easy pickings, build your confidence and get in some practice to do battle with genuine yobboes who fight dirty.
snow report
Eve Rest, Several of the posters on this thread do actually live in ski areas or close to them.

I'm astonished at the support for Tignes - there's no soul there - no local community - no local kids going to school - no feeling. Only a tourist resort and one of the ugliest places in the world I should think. Perhaps those liking Tignes aren't interested in any of these things? Perhaps most Brits on holiday don't want to be made to feel part of a community?

Many Brits have bought apartments here for precisely the opposite reasons. They find the town not as unattractive as advertised, the locals are friendly, you have a welcome and a real feeling of community. It doesn't take long to get hooked!

ps: if any of the lifties DIDN'T say bonjour here I'd complain to the DAL (lift company) - we expect it, but it's sad how many of them say bonjour and don't get a reply in any language! Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
easiski, very good points.

Call me old fashioned but ski resorts are best nurtured by those whose roots and ancestry go back to the farming communities of the mountain slopes. The greedy resort developers and appartment dealers are best kicked out of the Alps, IMHO.

All together now: "The hills are alive to the sound of nostalgia."
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, I agree. Pity, though, that some of the old "paysans" are so against tourism. Not all of course, but I think it is the cosmopolitan mix that helps more. Anyone coming here should take a gander at "millionaires row" though - where all those who did hang onto their land etc. have built their huge posh chalets - quite impressive!

Trouble is, some of them won't allow a pylon on their land to improve the uplift, some won't allow a run on their land to be widened, some won't allow the trenches for new cannons - what can we say to complaining tourists? However - we do have real live cows and sheep in the summer - keeps the inner city kids more interested than marmottes!!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Not quite clear what you are saying, there, David Goldsmith, does that mean that you prefer Venosc to the township of Les Deux Alpes, for example?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, easiski, that's exactly what caused us to buy in Monetier-les-Bains, a real community, not just a ski village.
latest report
Haven't been to VD since the Olympics and it is a shame if it is as the reports say.
But I think there are plenty of places that are worth a visit which aren't as publicised as some
of the French resorts. They may not have masses of pisted runs but the most important stat
in my book is beds per lift capacity anyway.
I have found a couple of gems lately but I'm not saying where they are. I have mentioned one of them quite a lot recently tho'

Too many drunks in a resort is a common thing these days and I want to avoid it like the plague. Maybe if the police locked a few up and threw them out of the resort it might help. But they probably get away with murder at home anyway and they think this is the way to behave.
Bring back stocks..!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy