Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Standee, a quick observation about your destination airport. if you do a search on snowheads you'll find a lot of people have had some horrific problems flying into chambery. it could increase your transfer time by quite a lot if you're unlucky with the weather. otoh, if you know the airport and have done it before, then forget my observation. hth
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Standee, be careful about Chambery - at peak times it gets hideously crowded and because of its geographical position and technical limitations flights are often diverted. It is also hit by any French strikes - unlike Geneva.

I don't understand your comment about people selling whole chalets. That's true of the most expensive ones, as Dukes and Earls don't want to share their accommodation with the likes of us. But all the big tour operators, and many owner-run chalets, certainly do sell individual rooms.

It's your timing which is the problem. Not just French accommodation, but much accommodation in other Alpine countries, will be looking to book full weeks at that (most profitable) time of year. That's what people have been trying to tell you. Fact, not opinion or attitude.

However, if you want to travel for just those days, and budget is not a big consideration, there is just no problem at all. Book your accommodation for the whole weeks, then book separate flights. What's your problem with that?

Or go to North America - I understand it's easier to book tailor-made periods there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Standee, Thats only about a 2 hour transfer
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
transfer times to Val D'Isere can vary enormously, I've done it in 3 hours, and 8 hours, as someone else posted. It's not a place to go if you're looking for a quick transfer!

It's all well worth it when you get there though - Am considering going there for New Year too!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yeah me too, Val disere transfer times have taken anywhere from 3hrs to just over 8. And this at the end of March begining of April, as we tend to go away for a ski holiday with freinds in Jan to somewhere different, then back to the old fave for just the wife and myself in march.

28th march this year being the worst yet, due to massive snow fall on the sat even as low down as bourg. And plenty of cars without chains getting stuck on the route up to val and tignes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

28th march this year being the worst yet, due to massive snow fall on the sat even as low down as bourg. And plenty of cars without chains getting stuck on the route up to val and tignes

Ah yes! I remember that day. Loads of people who, despite pottering off to ski in late March, and presumably hoping to be sliding around on white stuff, had somehow decided that they weren't going to need snowchains because it wasn't going to snow. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On same thread but a bit of a different tack...............................................any suggestions, see below?

I always used to drive to Val and Tignes, then got fed up of the tolls, so went budget flights with long transfers from Geneva (even with a hire car it can be a bind and costly - hire rates doubled vs last year, extra for winter tyres, extra for insurance, extra for chains etc), then the delays and pricey flights into Chambery. NB; I do not do packages, no offfence if you do but I prefer to be treated like a human being and retain my sanity!

Now I've gone full circle - and want to start driving to Val again - because the budget flights dont exist anymore, not at sensible prices from the north anyway (ski carriage prices etc), and are normally at bad times if they can be found, and generally from London (I live in the North).........................BUT the tolls are now through the roof, and its a £200+ return from Calais in tolls which is stupid.

Can anyone recommend a quick cheap route (without use of French Toll roads) Calais - Val/ Tignes - or do I have to go via Belgium (pot holes r'us etc) Aachen, down the Rhine, Mulhouse and a big loop back through Switzerland??

I love the off-piste in Espace Killy, but my car keeps turning off sooner at Verbier, St Anton etc - I want to retrain it to get to Val without Dick-Turpin catchin me a few times getting to/ from the Alps!!

Anyone having the same thoughts/ problem? I'd appreciate your thoughts if you've sussed it!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Euro* or french sleeper to Bourg and then a bus? You lose some flexibility when you get there, but in a place like Val D'Isere that shouldn't be a massive problem. Doesn't suit everyone, but it'd always be my favourite way of getting to the Isere valley...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, sound good - cheers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29, I think that's a bit over the top for tolls, according to viamichelin total cost one way is

Costs 162.46 EUR
Toll 72.70 EUR | Petrol 89.76 EUR | Road tax EUR
Time 09h15 which 07h58 on motorways
Distance 998 km which 927 km on motorways

or avoiding toll roads

Costs 83.97 EUR
Toll 0.00 EUR | Petrol 83.97 EUR | Road tax EUR
Time 14h56 which 00h58 on motorways
Distance 928 km which 89 km on motorways
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I think that's a bit over the top for tolls, ac

It's a lot over the top - about £120 at present exchange rates. You can save all the tolls, easily, by using the (generally very good) French routes nationale. However, it will take quite a lot longer and if you do an overnight stop and dinner, your toll savings are shot (especially if you pay an 80 euro fine for "speeding" at 40 mph through some invisible and deserted hamlet with no speed limit signs, like what I did Embarassed )
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes that is much cheaper than I thought for the tolls, and if the £ vs Euro keeps going back to 1.4 where it needs to be then we're in business!Thanks for the heads-up on the Routes Nationale Pam W, think I'll give these a miss especially overnight in winter, need to average 70mph including stops, we've got almost 300 miles Dover - our place in North Yorks. Upsets the locals when doing 80mph through cobbled Place Du Gare at 4am - only joking, not a chav really.

Just remembered - I too had a bad experience in Austria 2 years ago - not funny at the time, but can laugh now.................racing (too fast) or felt so in the Punto 1.0L to get back to Salzburg after a full day off-piste, 45mph down hill flat out with a tail-wind into a small town, speed gun etc............ that not too bad but the revolver by "Mr No Sense of Humour Polizei" (proper one pointing through the window) and the £50 fine which when I ignored it went up to £100 after 2 months...............you live and learn. Great day's skiing though so hence the reason I chose to forget the ticket when it eventually dropped through my letter box from Die Polizei!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy