Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help...husband wants to stop skiing and go on a CRUISE!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
I love boats ... power & sail.

Sailing is as physically demanding as skiing ( well some of it is!) .. and fast power boats give as big as an adrenaline rush as anything.

Cruise liners .... mmmhhh ... not much good for me as I'm a control freak, but if you have to do it go on one of the very small ones!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's nothing wrong with a cruise, we did 3 or 4 when I was in my late 20's early 30's and they were really good fun. Ok, some of the dinner companions were a bit 'crusty' but pretty sure age profile of 'cruisers' has been on its way down for several years, at least at the more budget end of things. It was great getting a flavour of so many places, several of which I had been fairly unfussed about on the itinerary, would never have visited otherwise.....and was completely bowled over by! It was also great having something substantial to do/see, but not having to think about it too hard. In fact we looked at doing one this summer, but in the end I have been dragged on a bog standard 2 week package to Turkey with some friends, something I haven't done since being 19 in Magalluf! .....Now THAT is giving me nightmares!

Would I swap skiing for cruising Hmmm, definitely not, but finances permitting, I'd be very happy to do both!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obviously I have no first hand experience of being married, but surely it doesn't mean that both 'halves' have to do the same things all the time?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, that's for sure! We wouldn't do half the stuff we do if we did everything together.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would love the idea of a cruise - one of those smaller boats, not a tower block version - Scandinavia, Russia, Galapagos, that sort of thing; but not instead of skiing. Perhaps I could go with your husband..... as my OH is horrified at the idea of going anywhere in the summer when he is busy in the Solent and Chichester harbour and we are in Les Gets in the winter.

I leave details of other holidays scattered around the place but they are never picked up. I might get worried of course if he started getting enthusiastic about a cruise.

And on the subject of holidays, I should be driving to Les Gets right now for three weeks of maintenance and sitting around in the sun, and the latest forecast has snow at the weekend - ok a miniscule amount, but its still looking really chilly there so have delayed for a couple of days.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cruise from Dover to let's say Calais

Then go skiing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That is a faux pas! Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's the first symptom of a mid-life crisis. Next he'll be looking longingly at Harley Davidsons. Going skiing on your own must be better than going with someone that would rather be cruising.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It's the first symptom of a mid-life crisis. Next he'll be looking longingly at Harley Davidsons.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah wrote:

pam w we sail small boats a bit too, I love that or rather I did until we met with a Force 7 last week, maybe I am a wuss but it was Skullie At that time I would much rather have been on a big ship, I had the largest restorative G&T I have ever had that night Laughing

Hope we get that much wind for the Round the Island this weekend!! But then it is one of these I'm crewing http://www.newnet.co.uk/global-challenge/challenge/theyachts.html!
Back to the original question has to be ski + cruise, if he won't ski anymore there is always plenty of company on a Snowheads bash!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alexandra wrote:
The only other plausible explanation is that he's come over a little "Liberace". Puzzled

I don't think margaret meant that kind of cruising...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Hope we get that much wind for the Round the Island this weekend!!

davkt, looks like no chance of that. And maybe a downwind start - should be absolute chaos. Laughing Laughing Laughing And little chance of a long spinnaker run round the back of the Wight either. Have fun, though. I did that race a long time ago in a smallish (27') yacht. My job on the beat down to the Needles was to tell the helmsman whether to duck the boats on starboard tack or hold our course ahead of them. Nervewracking. We didn't hit anybody, but I got told off for being too conservative once or twice....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agenterre wrote:
I love boats ... power & sail.

Sailing is as physically demanding as skiing ( well some of it is!) .. and fast power boats give as big as an adrenaline rush as anything.

Cruise liners .... mmmhhh ... not much good for me as I'm a control freak, but if you have to do it go on one of the very small ones!

We had a Fairline Targa 30 (40 knot luxury powerboat) back when I was an IT Contractor. So I really love boats as well as skiing. For a relaxing family hol, esp with kids, cruises are great. And actually the big ships are good too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you have to go on a cruise then go to Norway a short trip from Geiranger (very nice scenery) is a village called Stryn (summer skiing!).
There are a few other ski resorts that may still be open in summer. The cruise up to nord capp can be spectacular weather permiting, and you will need some of the ski wear if you want to go on deck and check out the scenery. If you want some snow on the cruise then i suggest you take the cruise to Greenland and Iceland, on some of the cruises you visit all 3. Plenty of snow but only got to look at it not ski on it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There was something in Fall Line a while back about a 'cruise' around Norway, with ski touring every day, before being picked up again by the boat (sometimes having skied down the freshies on the other side of the mountain). Sounded like an ace trip, maybe a good compromise?
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Cruise from Dover to let's say Calais

Then go skiing

Obvious but funny.
snow conditions
margaret wrote:
how can I talk him out of it.
I have to ski..no option there and have been used to three weeks a year. For some obscure reason (maybe I am a crap skier Madeye-Smiley he wants to go on a cruise.
is it that bad a holiday or should I stick to skiing alone......

Cruising is for swinging, gold-digging or coffin-dodging.

Which one is it...
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

Cruising is for swinging, gold-digging or coffin-dodging.

... because if it's either of the former, Whitegold would like your number! wink
snow conditions
I did kick off an anti-cruise vibe but that's not because I don't think they're a great idea for some folk. I have very good friends who have loved their cruises - but I know they wouldn't be enjoyable for me. It would be too like staying in a hotel, for a start, and I don't like that, either, unless someone else is paying (have stayed in lots for work, some of them good ones). If I was paying my own money I'd be forever thinking about all the other things I'd much rather be spending it on. I find it a particularly odd choice for somebody who doesn't like "joining in" and organised activities. Sure, you can sit on your own (though can you have a table to yourself?) and not talk to people, and go on the excursions and just ignore everybody else and look out of the window. But doing that in an environment full of other people would be like hiding behind the Daily Telegraph on a busy commuter train.

If I wanted to get away from all the chit chat and togetherness I'd rent a nicely appointed cottage in the Outer Hebrides (or somewhere warmer, if necessary) and take a pile of good books.
snow conditions
Keeellll Heeemmmm... Toofy Grin
snow report
stoatsbrother, well, not such a bad idea, by the sound of it.
ski holidays
Technically I believe this is a cruise and would certainly overcome my aversion to such things

http://www.eaheliskiing.com/heli-ski-canada/heli-skiing-absinthe-yacht
latest report
Divorce and if he refuses have him killed. Nothing else for it! Little Angel snowHead
snow report
Whitegold, coffin dodging, in my case
snow conditions
Cruises have moved down market and attract a younger crowd nowadays.

It is not like the days of the great liners - before air travel. That could appeal for Hyacinth Bucket/social climbing reasons.

Still boring though and
crowded.

Margaret arrives at the end.
latest report
Ouch. Cruises are for retired old people, I couldn't think of many worse holiday alternatives than being stuck on a boat.
snow conditions
narc wrote:
Ouch. Cruises are for retired old people, I couldn't think of many worse holiday alternatives than being stuck on a boat.

Not any more, there's plenty of younger peeps on cruises (provoding you avoid the Fjordes in term time). And actually ships stop at a port most days so you're not stuck on a boat are you?

Pete
ski holidays
I really don't understand him... We had a walking holiday in Madeira and watched the cruise liners arrive every day, disgorging their passengers onto coaches and we both said Not For Me! Puzzled
What has changed? Last holiday was with our three children, plus partners and one grandchild. He skied with me one half day, and with the younger folk the rest of the time. He said it was the best week's skiing that he had ever had.
Looking at my post I think that I realise that I am the problem.... Sad
However he is not keen to go with the youth of our loins....He does not want to share me but does not want to ski with me...
Ho hum
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Last holiday was with our three children, plus partners and one grandchild. He skied with me one half day, and with the younger folk the rest of the time. He said it was the best week's skiing that he had ever had.

it seems odd that he doesn't want to do that again, if it was so successful. Maybe you should have a word with whichever child you can trust to be tactful, and tell them that you'd really like to do another holiday all together, but that the OH doesn't seem keen. If the kids enjoyed skiing with their dad, maybe he would respond more positively if they told him so, and asked whether he'd do it again?
ski holidays
Quote:

Last holiday was with our three children, plus partners and one grandchild.

It seems to me that your're in your 50s maybe early 60s. Then, it might be that he finds skiing "hard work" (and wants a week "just to rest"), or maybe he enjoyed skiing with the young ones but disliked having you doing most of the cooking/babysitting. Have you talked with him about why he wouldn't like to do that again?
If you're at the age i've guessed, maybe he is simply curious, and feels he would like to try a cruise once. I really think that you could go to an interesting cruise like Alaska, but I would talk to him about whether he sees this as an "one off" or he's considering cruises for more vacations to come.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy