Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Headphones on the Piste

Poster: A snowHead
TotallyBoard, ...and you Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I disagree that having not listened to an ear pad system doesn't allow me to comment as to it's effectiveness.

Yeah I know what it feels like to drive a Ferrari but I haven't

I know what it's like to fly in a spaceship but I haven't

I know all about brain surgery, I've never done any mind you

If you want to be taken seriously parlor then ask someone with an earpad set to let you have a listen. You'll then realise that you're making much ado about nothing.

I can't express an opinion on a home cinema amp I haven't listened to, or speakers that I haven't tried out, or the picture quality of a TV without looking at it. I think it would make me look foolish to try and do so Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I feel like posting a "helmets should be mandatory " thread just to see if it can still generate a few pages of pointless debate again too...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have my moments arv, but this is too much ffs. I can hear all around me and I tend to charge less hard when riding with music (I do tend to pick quite mellow tunes to ride to tho). When not listening to music I tend to hoon it a bit, if I'm listening to music I chill out a bit, do some butters and try and get a bit more graceful (and if you'd seen me without music you'd think it was a good thing too).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TotallyBoard, Where you're going wrong is taking it all far too seriously. I, for instance, can naturally express an opinion on something I've never used and I'm bound to be right because my opinion is worth 10,000 x yours. Basic law of intermernet forum arguments. 2nd law NEVER back down.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TotallyBoard, it could just be that Parlor is a skier whose skills, experience, love of the mountains and attitude many of us respect. And it isn't all about the level of the sound heard at the ear - but a bit about the effectiveness of the ear pad/ear plugs at excluding other sounds.

But this is such an old argument on here that I think anyone who starts it should be forced to buy popcorn for the rest of us watching.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ffs I understand that stoatsbrother, half the time I'm not listening to music but listening to the mountains too. However when someone tries to imply I am being negligent and dangerous for listening to music whilst riding I'll tell them to FRO. Different strokes for different strokes I guess, I'd think I was being a d i c k h e a d if I told all of you that you were ruining the experience by *NOT* listening to music whilst riding. Do WTF you like, it makes the world a more varied place after all surely. I'm not about telling people how they should enjoy the mountains, I am however all for telling people they should enjoy the mountains. If you want popcorn I'll fire up the whirly-pop and make you some Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveC, lol having knocked myself spark out, cracking my helmet open like an egg and not even knowing my name when I woke up I do have an opinion on that, but I ain''t gonna share it Wink Put it this way my kids won't be riding without a lid, but mandatory nah I don't think so. It's merely Darwin at work heh
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TotallyBoard wrote:
DaveC, lol having knocked myself spark out, cracking my helmet open like an egg and not even knowing my name when I woke up

Should've turned the volume down. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are not going to decide anything. Ultimately the resorts,the insurance companies and the courts may. The first case that comes before a court where a skiier or boarder has hit and injured another mountain user whilst listening to music will interest me. Has there been one yet? Anybody know? I know the Althaus thing has had serious consequeces legally and I'm sure we'll see some impact on the slopes there.

There is no need to resort to playground name calling.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tbh, I don't see how music or no is going to effect you hitting someone - it might affect how well you dodge an idiot from behind, but seems like the argument is about as irrelevant as helmets to me. I'm lucky enough to ski 100+ days a year, and spend time skiing alone. I enjoy music skiing because it adds a distraction to something that can be, dare I say, a bit (relatively) mundane some days compared to others. The sound of skiing isn't exactly the sensory input I do it for. Can understand if you don't want the distraction, like the peace, etc, but essentially do what you like and stop making such a big deal out of it either way. Blocking out all external sound is asking for trouble, but people find ways to do that all the time. Really can't imagine it coming down to blanket legal settlements either way.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatirishman, I notice that there is no reference to me asking why you didn't jump to my defence with regards playground name calling.

I think it'll be a while before you see a case in court about an accident due to wearing headphones as courts tend to abide by the FIS rules when it comes to mountain accidents. If that happens then how long before we see a car insurance company trying to get out of a claim because the other driver was listening to music, don't talk so much cack. The only reports that have been found by anyone on here, are inconclusive and state that sometimes music *increases* performance! How the hell do you think anyone could mount a claim against someone for listening to music whilst skiing/boarding if there's no scientific evidence. At the end of the day if there is blame in an accident it is all about who was the uphill skier/boarder, simple as!

laundryman I didn't have my tunes with me that morning, maybe if I was listening to them I wouldn't have been charging so hard Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hyweljenkins wrote:
parlor, in your opinion, that is. Wearing headphones and listening to music doesn't endanger other people.

Wearing headphones while riding is dangerous.

Skiing is an audio-visual sport.

Anything less than 100% vision (eyes) and 100% audio (ears) is compromising safety.

But there's nothing cooler than cranking up the tunes while pinging down a mogul field.

For the safety-minded music-freaks out there -- try one earbud in and one earbud out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold, well said bud Little Angel
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, What have I done... rolling eyes
It's a good thing I didnt really express a strong opinion in the OP Confused
snow report
Whitegold, someone has to go and ruin a perfectly good troll. Nice one. Wink

TotallyBoard, hey Mr Angry, playful digs like changing your user name is very different to outright insults that you even had to type in such a way that the profanity filter will allow it to pass. I'm going to put all your toys back in your pram - you can even have your ipod (other mp3 players are available) - try not to throw them all out again. I suspect you weren't on your school debate team, were you?

You've made this so easy for me, kinda reminds me of
this classic scene.. I'm not saying I have the wit of Steve Martin but you do look like a bit of a chump don't you?

You ask if I want to be taken seriously? Well you certainly did flame boy! There are so many retorts to your inane posts I don't know where to start. Thanks for the material, if I get a chance latter I'll tee some more up for you. In the mean time I recommend beta blockers before you post on the internet.
ski holidays
parlor, a finger smilie? What would one of those represent? Oh that's right it would be f*** off wouldn't it? If you live by the sword you die by the sword. If you give it out then expect some back. A lot of people think you're an idiot too, I guess you've dragged me down to your level and beaten me with experience.

If your life is so sad that one of your hobbies is trolling I suggest you find some new ones (I find listening to music is quite relaxing). What I actually think has happened is you've realised that you've lost the argument, because you've admitted you don't have any experience of what you are actually arguing about and used the standard "I was trolling" get out clause that arrived when they gave monkeys access to the internet.

The thing with the internet is it's full of armchair warriors who type stuff they'd never say to someone in person. I don't take kindly to being called negligent and/or dangerous and if you did it in RL I'd tell you to FRO like I have on here. Somehow I doubt you would be quite so antagonistic in RL and that makes you look like a dick Wink
snow report
losers
snow conditions
Quote:

losers

lol Justice4Bakkies? And I'm a loser? As a Welshman I guess I'm a bit biased but you can FRO too Wink
latest report
TotallyBoard, addressed at all contributors in this mentaller thread brother, but as a Welshman I guess you suffer with paranoia and inferiority complex (not to mention shite-at-rugby-itis) NehNeh

peace out, the kiwis are there for the taking in the morning, hope ye do it
snow report
barry, We have not got a chance at the Kiwis, if we do it I'll spend my whole next holiday sans ipod just for parlor, how's that for a deal? Us Welsh don't have an inferiority complex butt, we know we're superior in all ways. As far as paranoia is concerned, I'm sure someone is putting something in my food to cause that Wink
ski holidays
TotallyBoard, oh man, you just get better. You know what we need? A ski off.

You need to re-read everything I've written and then what you've written. You have anger management issues. What are you talking about here:

TotallyBoard wrote:
What I actually think has happened is you've realised that you've lost the argument, because you've admitted you don't have any experience of what you are actually arguing about and used the standard "I was trolling" get out clause that arrived when they gave monkeys access to the internet.

I do have plenty pf experience in this field. And, FWIW, I have driven a Ferrari, if that helps? Wink

I'm afraid, as far as this thread goes, for me you proved my point. You (not just others who listening to music whilst riding) felt it necessary to integrate your walkie-talkie in to your sound system. I'm right. I win. Thanks to you.

There is no argument to be won or lost here. Yes, I've been trolling, and I've caught some big fish in my time, inter alia, Wahoo & Tuna, but none of those have given me as much sport as having you on here. Sad? Again, that's a little subjective. I would agree that it has been a little sad of me to have wasted time engaging with you but snowHead has become a hobby for me.
ski holidays
TotallyBoard, I dunno man, they weren't great last week (we were just useless - ya that's right I'm Irish despite my tagline Laughing ). Gatty will fancy one against his own country (we were the first team he coached back in Ireland years ago when he first came over after the All-Black tour he was on, good guy - used ot have us playing a version of american football at training all the time!). I reckon ye've got a decent shout, but prepare for another good humping off us in the 6 nations Cool Laughing
latest report
parlor, it really is quite difficult arguing with you as your logic is quite sketchy to be very generous. I've driven a Lotus, a Porsche, a Bentley and a Vauxhall Chevette but I can't comment on what it's like to drive a Ferrari (it's not something I've experienced)

You said earlier that you thought that music from earpads would be more omnipresent(sic) than music through earbuds, you are wrong. This is not a subjective statement this is pure unadulterated fact. You admit you haven't listened to music through an earpad system but, you think that you are qualified to comment on how dangerous they are. You are proferring an opinion on something you don't know about, that is just stupid.

You have assumed I've put my walkie talkie in my set up because I can't hear, I can hear but wanted my walkie talkie wired in as when riding with other people of differing ability, I don't want to be forced to ride at their chosen speed (be it faster or slower than me). If I'm 1/2 a mile away from someone who has an accident (as happened with my wife), earpads or not I'm not going to hear them (pretty obvious to all but the dullest of people I would have thought).

You have no idea how loud I play my music, how much of my surroundings I can or cannot hear but have the cohones to tell me I'm dangerous and a liabilty? You naturally assume that me wiring my walkie talkie in to my setup proves you right, that would be flawed logic and/or confirmation bias as far as I'm concerned.

As for trolling being sad being subjective, it depends on whether you engage in it or not (confirmation bias again?). Having been online since the days of 14.4K modems I've seen the growth of the internet first hand and it is no exaggeration to say that when tossers started trolling it went downhill very rapidly.
snow report
Oh and parlor, this ->
Quote:

I'm right. I win. Thanks to you.

followed directly by this ->
Quote:

There is no argument to be won or lost here.

leads me to believe you weren't in your school debating team either Wink
snow conditions
barry, lol another humping. You've got an ageing team and the longer you insist on playing the liability (otherwise known as Ronan O'Boyzone), instead of Sexton the better as far as I'm concerned Wink We've had some very close games against the AB's recently, I was there when we lost by a point and when we were leading at half time, but I think it's a different kettle of fish playing them in their stomping grounds. They always seem to have another gear, especially when playing us unfortunately Sad
ski holidays
TotallyBoard If you're not careful you're going to make me check the spare, OK?
snow report
parlor, feck me you're like the Duracell bunny, keep clapping your cymbals eventually I'll lose interest. I feel a bit mean arguing with you, it's like challenging a one-legged man to an a r s e kicking contest. I ought to take pity and leave you alone but it's so difficult not to tell someone they're an idiot when they've painted themselves in to a corner.

How about if I agree with you that listening to music while riding is dangerous and that I should be ashamed of myself? Will you feck off and stop then?

Here we are -> Loose fitting earpads are much more sound isolating than sound isolating earbuds, music of a level that you would hear in a lift makes you completely reckless, dangerous and a complete liabilty to all slope users (even if they are on a completely different mountain or even continent). It is the responsibility of the downhill skier to get out of the way of the uphill skier if they are listening to music and if Hitler had skied he would have had music playing at the time and wouldn't have been half as bad had he skied without. Happy now?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wait. Do you want to have the last word?
snow conditions
Nope, after you Wink
ski holidays
Do you use these tactics on your kids or did you learn it from them? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
barry wrote:
TotallyBoard
peace out, the kiwis are there for the taking in the morning, hope ye do it

It ain't gonna happen Laughing

Anyway, nothing wrong with some tunes + riding if you ask me. Sitting on a mountain, imbibing some of the previous summers garden produce and then bombing a powder bowl all on your own with the doobie brothers cranking through the headphones is one of life's special moments.

I dunno what it is with people thinking they have a right to tell others what they should/shouldn/t/can/can't do.
snow report
Gold:)
snow conditions
Quote:

I know you're not all as hardcore as me and listening for sounds in the snowpack means dusting off your fanny packs, not being aware of avalanches. Maybe I should remember that, but this thread is full of so much fun.

Written in jest... well at least 20% jest Shocked
snow conditions
geeo, I enjoyed it. Wink Fanny pack. Hahahaaaaa.
snow conditions
barry, hate to say I told you so fella but...... Sad
ski holidays
TotallyBoard, dearie me was expecting better than that, i fear we might see a resurgent England in the 6 nations at the expense of thee and me Sad

Boks were no great shakes today (they need Smit on the field), but they were great last week - still have the measure of the Blacks I reckon but not sure how much longer? Love to see a few of them finish off in clubs up here. Bakkies dishing it out in the preniership would be great to see!
latest report
Hmmmmm, no direct mention of wearing whilst on the piste, but.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia_pacific/10463227.stm
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
hyweljenkins wrote:
parlor, in your opinion, that is. Wearing headphones and listening to music doesn't endanger other people.

Wearing headphones while riding is dangerous.

Rubbish. Being an idiot on the slopes is dangerous.
snow report
hyweljenkins wrote:

Rubbish. Being an idiot is dangerous.

Fixed your post snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy