Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Headphones on the Piste

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I fail to see how music or any other noise is going to cause you to crash into something - somebody out of control might crash into you, but it won't be your fault

Where the fault lies doesn't do anything for reducing your injuries, the resultant pain and potential problems caused!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Even with my headphones on I can still hear peole coming and the sound of my board on the snow because I don't have the music loud enough. I find riding to music also helps calm me down, especially when there is a group of skiers that decide to stop across a narrow, flat part with their skies perpendicular to the direction of everybody elses travel!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very appropriate username there rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
What do you recommend to accompany sex with a less-than-beautiful woman?

A paper bag?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
What do you recommend to accompany sex with a less-than-beautiful woman?

6 pints to be consumed a couple of hours beforehand.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm one of those people who don't wear headphones 'cos I like the feel of the mountains and the sound of snow or quietness. The safety argument is I feel a bit feable though I'm sure if you don't engage your brain and other senses it is a bit more dangerous equally I'm sure thatt he same applies to skiing slush at the end of the day, sking icy slopes, skiing in flat light etc. The increased risk is probably trivial with even a little extra care and up to the individual whether to take it on.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar, 100% agreed. Safety argument is tenuous but why listen to music when you're in the mountains...especially on an empty piste where you can't hear others, let alone in the backcountry (could make an exception for skinning, though even there I prefer the silence).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, who are you to say what we should and shouldn't be taking in on the mountain?

Bones, that kid was killed by a train he didn't see.

pam w, vodka. Lots of it.

horizon, two paper bags - one each.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hyweljenkins wrote:
parlor, who are you to say what we should and shouldn't be taking in on the mountain?

What does that even mean? Taking in on the Mountain?

Ban headphones? Hahaa. Looks like lots of people had their Monday moods on yesterday. Zero tolerance, it's almost like here and some of your reactions to being told you look like berks because you need music to enhance the enjoyment of life's greatest pleasure.

I have my opinion, which is clearly right, you have yours. Sadly for you your opinion makes you look a little silly whether you're listening to a virtuoso or gangsta rap...

Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My enjoyment of the raw mountain environment is ruined by people who dress like smurfs or bags of skittles. wink

I'll confess to occasionally sticking an earbud in for slow chairlift rides and the odd warm up lap on groom. Nothing makes you ski like a god (in your own imagination) more than the Theme from On Her Majesty's Secret Service. See I'm not just a prick I'm a delusional prick.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, your village called, they want you back.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor wrote:

I have my opinion, which is clearly right, you have yours. Sadly for you your opinion makes you look a little silly whether you're listening to a virtuoso or gangsta rap...

Twisted Evil

And your attitude makes you look like a lady's front bottom.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snapzzz wrote:
parlor wrote:

Twisted Evil

And your attitude makes you look like a lady's front bottom.

HA HA , gotta love this sites auto correction on the t w a t word!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snapzzz, your funny.

hyweljenkins, awwwww c'mon, you can do better than that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've never understood the urge to listen to music while skiing. It's not as if there aren't plenty of other opportunities to listen to music - but for most of us not enough opportunity to absorb the full mountain atmosphere through all the senses. The best music deserves some concentration anyway.

I get a tad irritated by walkers on bridleways who can't hear me approach on my bike. When in a public situation - say on a chairlift - I also find the presence of headphones a little antisocial. I like to exchange at least cursory pleasantries but music listeners might as well have a 'do not disturb' notice on them.

But - each to there own; I wouldn't ban the practice. wink
snow report
I am like clarky999, I usually have one earphone in and one out. I can definately hear enough to be safe, but I like imagining I am one of these freeride gods from the ski films with an awesome soundtrack to highlight my awesomeness Embarassed

And I would DEFINATELY take a powder day over making love to a woman...beautiful or not. Or actually, even a session on dendex. Maybe if it was a beautiful man, I could be swayed Laughing , but I think a bluebird powder day might still just win.
snow report
Quote:

I like to exchange at least cursory pleasantries

I turn my music off if I get on a chairlift with anybody else (generally it's so quiet I ride alone quite a lot of the time). I am glad of any opportunity to exchange pleasantries, the cursoryness of which is generally determined by my limited French. I had the pleasure of being able to tell an elderly Frenchman, last year, that the problematical trip he planned for the next day would be much easier because they'd opened a new draglift. At the top I showed him on the map and he tottered off happily to tell his friends. That gave me a buzz. But if the other party definitely doesn't want to chat, or if I'm alone, then I often switch the music on (I always have it off if I'm with the OH, or a friend, or the birds are singing). I don't think I miss much mountain atmosphere by listening to music on a chairlift, actually. Anyone who thinks they are communing with the wilderness as they get hauled up a mountain by some fairly noisy machinery, clunking past the pylons, is possibly kidding himself.

To me, the music adds a great extra dimension to skiing on piste, especially in nasty weather conditions. And it livens up a long draglift a treat. But I would not dream of listening to music whilst walking in the hills - it would never occur to me - and on my so far limited forays off piste I don't want it either.
snow report
Quote:

I always have it off if I'm with the OH

Might you like to rephrase that? Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard, Laughing Laughing Laughing . Yes, I'll rephrase that...

I always switch off when I'm with the OH. wink
ski holidays
Lizzard, Laughing Laughing
snow report
OK my twopennyworth.

I don't run with headphones, I don't cycle with headphones, I certainly don't swim with headphones. I'm not allowed to race with headphones. The reason we're not allowed to race (Tri) with headphones ? It's deemed dangerous. We can't hear marshalls, traffic or people behind or ahead of us. It also takes away from the atmosphere of an event.

AAA events now have penalties for those wearing headphones too. Deemed not to be safe for runners.

As a teenager I had a friend who whilst cycling with headphones was hit by a lorry and is now disabled.

Do I wear headphones whilst skiing at speeds exceeding those I cycle at? Do I wear headphones on skis where I have less control than when I'm running? No way.

Do I mind other people wearing headphones - off piste away from me they can do what the heck they want. Around other skiiers they should be concentrating on their skiing and not being distracted by music. On the lifts, in the queue no issues. Party on if you want to.
latest report
This is b o l l o c k s, I listen to music whilst boarding but not so loud that I can't hear people around me. FIS code says I am responsible for not crashing in to people down the slope from me, so as long as I can still use my eyes whilst listening to my tunes I can comply with that (which I am more than able to do). I might not be so quick to react to someone crashing in to me from higher up the slope, but that is down to them being a tool rather than me listening to my tunes. I might not hear the pillocks clicking their poles behind me, but it is their responsibility to make their way past safely not mine to get out of the way (I don't get overtaken often anyway Wink)

I don't crash in to people when I ride and am a good enough boarder to be able to ride whilst listening to music, if your skills aren't good enough to do it don't assume others are unable! Feckin health and safety crowd do my nut in, I'm bright enough not to endanger myself or others without you legislating for it. I think you'll find that most people who listen to music whilst coming down the hill are of an ability level where they are in control and not dangerous. I think it's more of an issue seeing the nutters minus headphones careening down the hill out of control (on skis, boards or those stupid bikes). If you want to address the danger on the mountains then you might want to look at the problem riders/skiers, rather than saying 'I don't listen to music, so no-one should', with due respect how I choose to ride is my business not yours! (as long as I'm not endangering you).
snow report
This is all so reminiscent of the drink drive debate. Hey I can drive after 5 pints, go sort out those rubbish drivers first!

I think there will only be one logical long term conclusion to it, and we will see a ban someday.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Lizzard, Laughing Laughing Laughing . Yes, I'll rephrase that...

I always switch off when I'm with the OH. wink

I often feel like my OH does the same Toofy Grin

Might as well talk to a brick wall at times
snow conditions
Chattonmill, see what I mean? wink
snow conditions
fatirishman, more b o l l o c k s I'm afraid. Listening to music and drinking 5 pints are not related in any way, shape or form. Alcohol impairs judgement and reflexes, find me a study which says that about listening to music (I actually find some music so stimulating it would probably increase my reactions). If you ban headphones because people wearing them can't hear those around them, you'd have to ban deaf skiers/boarders. If music has the same detrimental effect as 5 pints how come nearly all cars come fitted with a stereo ffs?
ski holidays
Hurtle, lol
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wasn't going to post again in this thread as it appears my comments were taken a little too seriously by some.

I don't think it's about health and safety, it's about common sense and common courtesy.

ALL OF YOU PRO HEADPHONE USERS KEEP USING THE SAME ARGUMENT that:

You are still in control whilst listening to your music, you are still aware of your surroundings AND you have the volume low enough to hear people from behind you.

I'm not even going to debate that, if you want to feel like that, go ahead. Wink

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU FEEL THE NEED TO USE THEM.

Fine, again, your choice - the mountains aren't rocking it enough for you? Why not 'enhance' your experience with some music? Haha. Twisted Evil

I believe that the danger part just comes from the impaired communication that you have with the rest of your party and the mountains. Almost all the people I ski with wear helmets and you can't hear toffee in them as it is, how can headphones NOT make it worse?

I wear the bud style earphones when I listen to music. I wear them on airplanes regardless of whether I'm listening to music as it helps DROWN out background noise - yes, to the point of having to take them out to listen to stewardess announcements - how can this not limit what you are hearing if you are listening to music? And making your own distracting sound - windrush, edges on snow etc???

It appears that the alternative to earbuds is an ear pad system, but I fail to see that this would be any better as surely the extra size of the drivers and extra space between the speaker and the ear allows even lower volume music to become more omnipresent? (Poorly written sentence that I hope you understand).

I guess getting lost on the piste isn't as potentially dangerous as getting lost off piste, after all you can just pick up your mobile phones and rendez-vous for a quick coffee or maybe a creme-de-menthe. Wink

I know you're not all as hardcore as me and listening for sounds in the snowpack means dusting off your fanny packs, not being aware of avalanches. NehNeh Maybe I should remember that, but this thread is full of so much fun.
snow report
TotallyBoard,

this

or

this?

they don't say music is always bad for driving but just thought i'd set you straight Little Angel
ski holidays
... mmm ... popcorn ... Very Happy
latest report
FFS parlor, just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean it is 'wrong', it's just wrong for you.

As far as communication goes, I've got my walkie talkie wired in so anyone in our party can talk to me (regardless of whether I'm within shouting distance or not). If someone falls and needs assistance I find out and can help organise it (this happened with my wife and I was about 1/2 mile in front of her at the time).

I can still hear my edges, I can still hear other people. If you think that earpads are louder than earbuds it just goes to show that you are expressing an opinion on something without fully understanding it (a bit like most of the H&S crew).

I would say that I listen to music about 50% of my time on the mountain, the other 50% of the time I listen to the silence, it all depends on my mood. I'm no more dangerous when I listen to music because I always ride within my ability (apart from when in the park). I keep an eye out for the idiots joining the slope without looking up the hill, I always check my blindspot before a heelside turn and I always make sure to leave plenty of room when overtaking. I ride safely at all times, regardless of what I'm listening to.

If you don't want to listen to music when on the mountain then don't, but do me a favour and let me ride how I want without your sarcasm. It's none of your business really is it? This holier than thou attitude with the I ride off-piste inferences doesn't make you look big, it makes you look like a Wink
snow conditions
Arno, so it is unproven either way. Won't stop the H&S mob looking for a blanket ban. As for setting me straight, the bit in the first link which says 'Music seems to alleviate driver stress and mild aggression while at times facilitating performance.' is pretty in line with my comment 'I actually find some music so stimulating it would probably increase my reactions' no?
ski holidays
TotallyBoard, you asked for a study which says listening to music impairs judgement and I provided 2 which say that it can do so. if you want to pick the bits which suit you and ignore those which don't, be my guest

anyway, probably best not to delve too deeply into the ways in which parlor "enhances" his experience in the mountains Shocked
latest report
TotallyBoard wrote:
As far as communication goes, I've got my walkie talkie wired in so anyone in our party can talk to me (regardless of whether I'm within shouting distance or not). If someone falls and needs assistance I find out and can help organise it (this happened with my wife and I was about 1/2 mile in front of her at the time).

Proof. Merci TB, I end my communication argument with your post.

TotallyBoard wrote:
I can still hear my edges, I can still hear other people. If you think that earpads are louder than earbuds it just goes to show that you are expressing an opinion on something without fully understanding it (a bit like most of the H&S crew).

I'm not part of a H&S crew. Far from it, I believe in a sensible approach to all these things, regulating is just red tape IMHO. However, I disagree that having not listened to an ear pad system doesn't allow me to comment as to it's effectiveness. I like music and understand the principles of delivering good sound. snowHead needs a finger smilie here.

TotallyBoard wrote:
I would say that I listen to music about 50% of my time on the mountain, the other 50% of the time I listen to the silence, it all depends on my mood. I'm no more dangerous when I listen to music because I always ride within my ability (apart from when in the park). I keep an eye out for the idiots joining the slope without looking up the hill, I always check my blindspot before a heelside turn and I always make sure to leave plenty of room when overtaking. I ride safely at all times, regardless of what I'm listening to.

Again, see the sentence that wrote in red? You're rehashing an argument I don't have a problem with. Bully for you knowing the FIS code and learning to snowboard! Yay! You can even do it whilst listening to music! Awesome.

TotallyBoard wrote:
If you don't want to listen to music when on the mountain then don't, but do me a favour and let me ride how I want without your sarcasm. It's none of your business really is it? This holier than thou attitude with the I ride off-piste inferences doesn't make you look big, it makes you look like a Wink

Now you've really missed the point of my posts. Blush It is fun though. PM admin and see it he can change your name from TotallyBoard to TotalScreamer.
snow report
Parlor, are you just really dedicated to trolling this one?
snow report
parlor, I'll PM the admin and see if they can change your name to c o c k. You have to be putting out a line, either that or you're a bona-fide idiot
snow conditions
oh and one other thing parlor, it's all very well understanding the principle of delivering good sound, but these aren't closed back headphones, the volume levels provided by earpad systems are akin to the volume levels of music in a lift. You are talking with authority about something you've admitted you don't know about, yeah I can snowboard and know FIS rules but you look like a dick, YAY Awesome
ski holidays
TotallyBoard, whenever someone stoops to the level you just have I tend to ignore any sensible points they've just made. Civilised debate without name calling is something that generally works pretty well on these boards.
ski holidays
I notice you ignored the digs (as in the finger smilie which would be f*** off, calling someone a c o c k or and idiot in comparison is tame no?) from parlor then fatirishman, what with him holding the same viewpoint as you eh? Didn't rush to my defence there did you? As far as discounting good arguments because of an insult levelled at someone, you might be dismissing things that are valid. Even an idiot can be right occasionaly so there's hope for parlor yet

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 17-06-10 21:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy