Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Two Scandinavians to Attempt First Ski Descent of Everest's North Face

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Two Vikings are getting prepared. In about one year, their ambition is to stand on the summit of Mount Everest, take a deep breath in the rarified air, point their skis toward Tibet and ski down the mountain's imposing north face for what just might be the ultimate first ski descent from the summit of the highest peak in the world.

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/news/stories/111264023121127.shtm
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One guy claims to have already done it but there is a possibility he rappelled the Hillary Step. See this article from Outside Online about a female extreme skier who has just decided to abandon her attempt.
Here's the interview with the guy who claims to have done it and how he negotiated the Hillary Step. No mention of rappelling.
http://outside.away.com/outside/news/20031029_2.html. But this was of course on the South Face so if the Scandahooligans succeed that will be a first for the Tibetan side on skis. That second article says it's been done on a snowboard.
Quote:
Even if I had reached the summit I wouldn’t have been able to make a continuous descent. I don’t reckon one can make a continuous descent down the N. Face: the colouirs are difficult and very rarely in condition (Editors note – this interview took place before Marco Siffredi’s snowboard descent).

Didn't a Japanese guy try to ski Everest years ago but fell and released a parachute ??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not wishing to sound silly but how do you "Rappell"? Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ginger winger, all I knew was it's a climbing technique so if he did he wasn't skiing the whole thing. Relax - the thicky baton is in limbo these days. Googling produced this nice young lady demonstrating it. http://www.vermontadventuretours.com/Rock_Climbing_Album/pages/Rappell_jpg.htm Everyone else calls it abseiling.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Everyone else calls it abseiling

You're not wrong!!!!

I wonder how much their insurance will cost, do you think they have gone for the silver or splashed out for gold cover? wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kuwait_ian wrote:
That second article says it's been done on a snowboard.

Marco Siffredi snowboarded Everest via the Couloir Norton. Dominique Perret has skied the north face of Everest from 8,500 meters. Davo Karnikar of course skied the south side in 2000, this is where you encounter the Hillary Step. If you ski the Norton or Hornbein it is not a problem :-).The Hillary Step may well be easier on skis or a board as anything above a 40 degree slope at 8,400 meters will require some quite technical climbing. The Hornbein route is probably the purest but this is where Marco dissapeared as route finding into the couloirs is hard - if anyone has ever skied over a convex slope looking for the sole entry into a couloir they would understand the problem, at 8500 meters, suffering from Hypoxia, it must be another world.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy