Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To counter or not to counter? That is the question.

Poster: A snowHead
balernoStu wrote:
skimottaret, any tips on upping the pace mid-week, when one's legs are already shot?

Absolutely no help on the skiing and this is probably too late but foam rollers are amazing, especially these ones

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-Performance-Revolutionary-Roller/dp/B0040EGNIU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1399626972&sr=1-1&keywords=trigger+point+roller&tag=amz07b-21

you can also use a solid plastic pipe without the foam over it which will be agony but good agony. Lacrose balls are also good for your feet or shoulders

Good luck with the skiing guys.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lynseyf, spot on, thanks. I actually work on my ITBs and glutes a lot, and every day of this course, amazing what different it makes. I use an aluminum shovel handle for the ITBs and deodorant bottle on the glutes!! Yes it hurts but not in a bad way.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
balernoStu wrote:
I use an aluminum shovel handle for the ITBs and deodorant bottle on the glutes!! Yes it hurts but not in a bad way.

That is hardcore Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well done to Balerno stu L4 Tech ticked off!

D

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 11-05-14 22:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blimey that's some achievement for a predominantly indoor skier congrats.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SkiPresto, thanks, your participation and commitment levels have been an inspiration. FYI the other in my group who passed has a Eurotest exemption due to FIS record.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
balernoStu, well done!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
balernoStu, there is no way I can comprehend exactly what you will have gone through to get there, but, in any event, it sounds dead impressive - well done!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
balernoStu, congratulations snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum wrote:
balernoStu, there is no way I can comprehend exactly what you will have gone through to get there, but, in any event, it sounds dead impressive - well done!
+1
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
balernoStu, what a great achievement, massive respect. Put a beer from me on a virtual tab if we ever cross paths.

Once you've got over the celebrations I'd love to hear how you got thru the l3 and 4, as a non seasonaire over 40. Perhaps a thread is called for.

Once again, huge respect, enjoy the night.

Cheers,

Greg 46 and 7/8ths
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
balernoStu, really happy for you mate.... didnt want to add any more pressure to the week but I had a sneaky feeling you may get it with such a positive attitude and strong preparation. A HUGE:sH: snowHead snowHead achievement , now one of the few... and one of the very very small handful of oldies to make it. Will be thinking of your achievement when working in the freezer tomorrow Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
balernoStu, Well done snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiPresto wrote:
well done to Balerno stu L4 Tech ticked off!
32 students 6 passes.
Over 40, family responsibilities, not a saisonnaire, only gets to ski in a 'glasgow Fridge. And he comes from Edinburgh.
He raised his game twice and skied out of his skin while others took the comfort zone route and didn't pass.
He put himself under intolerable pressure, but kept his head and worked out a way to win. It all came down to one lonely go-around on the steeps on a Friday afternoon at 14:30.
Totally deserved result.
D

Congratulations : proof that it can be done and an inspiration to all.
Age isn't such a barrier if you keep yourself in reasonable shape.

Genuine question....
Has Stu skied much in his younger years ? Any seasons etc ?
Did he ski / train just in the snow dome or up north as well ?
Would be interested to see how much preparation he put in (if you don't mind me asking)

The reason I ask is that I am Age 35 and currently finishing off my L3 with a family / full-time job.
So far so good. Should have done it when i was younger but never had the time and money at the same time.
And in my 20s I would rather have gone skiing than get BASi'ed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis_Trap, can you share what training you've done,are doing since your l2 and what l3 strands you've passed?

Perhaps in a new what is needed for l3 thread or something???
ski holidays
^ No formal training us such - apart from skiing a lot over the years....
Every winter get a season ticket for Glencoe (which allowed me to ski every weekend before the first baby arrived!)
Despite having a full-time job also managed to fit in a few full alpine seasons as a ski bum / longer trips away in my 20s.
At 35 reckon I am still skiing *almost* as well as I ever have and make an concentrated effort to keep fit.

I did my L2 in 2002. Though for various reasons didn't do any further BASI courses until last year.
Now in the process of working way through L3 - so far so good and I reckon its an achievable standard ?
Though having to do in the courses in your holidays is a bit tough. No doubt skiing lots when I was younger helped.

Like many would be interested to hear what Balerno Stu did to reach L4 - as that is a big achievement for a 40 year old with family and crucially the limited snow which comes with that.
snow report
balernoStu, big congrats! Great achievement!
snow conditions
Balernostu.
I hope your family now gives you a basket of "Brownie Points" and sends you off to get your Eurotest training so one day you will get your ISTD.
Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 11-05-14 22:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Nice write up SkiPresto, Very helpful for anyone looking at doing BASI courses, and congratulations balernoStu, from what people here have said looks like you worked your butt off and justly deserve all the positive comments posted here. snowHead
ski holidays
Congratulations balernoStu, amazing achievement Smile
ski holidays
Nice write up SkiPresto.
Would love to hear more from BalernoStu about his background / training /motivation etc.
....I think its a superb achievment to pass L4 whilst in your 40s and not be skiing FT Very Happy

FWIW : I have a buddy who passed the ET on skis age 37. Not only that but he was primarily a snowboarder 1st (skiing in theory being his 2nd discipline!). I remember him describing clearly how he had to walk away from the other candidates at the start of the course inspection as they were all being so negative Wink
latest report
SkiPresto wrote:
Many of them expected to turn up and pass.

Sadly the same happened on my L2 resit. I was one of 2 to pass out of 10, the others (from what I saw) hadn't done any/enough training to fix the issues identified in there origional L2! one lady had already failed 1 resit and still hadn't made the changes.

would love to here your story as well Balerno Stu
snow report
Thanks for all the kind words folks, much appreciated. I'll be back to chat soon, but for now have a backlog of family time (and several hours driving a resistant child through a week's homework) to make up for after 2 weeks away. Cheers stu.
ski holidays
SkiPresto wrote:
Balernostu.
I hope your family now gives you a basket of "Brownie Points" and sends you off to get your Eurotest training so one day you will get your ISTD.
Very Happy

Thanks SkiPresto. As you know I think a fail was going to make it more difficult to justify further time and funds to this.
snow conditions
While I note that the new BASI mantra is:

SkiPresto wrote:
You throw the body over and inside the skis, down the hill with no edge grip or platform.

I really don't think it quite has the ring of the old one:

"to infinity and beyond"
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy