Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Show - To Go Or Not To Go!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for some advice about whether or not to exhibit at the Telegraph Ski Show in October.

My business is a booking agency for hotels, airport transfers, rentals, school & lift passes in Andorra, and we'll be going in to our third season this November. So far it's going very well and I'm wondering whether it's worth spending a thousand pounds or so on exhibiting at the show and if the return would justify it.

I was very close to exhibiting last year but I just couldn't afford it. They have just e-mailed their price list through, and Birmingham is cheaper than London, which is why I'd probably go for the Telegraph show rather than the Metro show. My main concern is that visitor numbers were down in 2010 from 2009, but the price for exhibiting has gone up! I calculate the smallest stand to be £921.20 including VAT (3m sq) but then there's posters, banners, fliers, hotels, food etc.

I know SnowHeads exhibit, and I was wondering if anyone else here has experience of exhibiting and whether you think I'd get a good return on investment. Also, would 3m x 1m be too small, and any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

Steve Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Leave it to the week before and pay £100 for the same stand.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you have a relationship with Andorra and they are exhibiting, then get stuff on their stand.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowsteve, over the years I've done both, speak to people who do both and, on balance, B'ham comes out on top. Numbers are only partly important because you get a different kind of visitor - frankly the B'ham crowd are more approachable, friendly, up for a larf and "open to buy" whereas the London crowd are more aloof and snooty (gross generalisation alert). B'ham is easier to exhibit at and waaaay cheaper - the etap and Ibis at the airport are connected by monorail to the halls and cost peanuts compared to anywhere in west London. Other thing about B'ham is whether or not the Dive Show is on at the same time - there's a reciprocal deal normally and loads of skier/divers pile in once they've finished oggling babes in wetsuits. Set up & break down is a cinch compared to Olympia.

Maybe the powers at the very top of Snowheads Inc. should consider taking a big stand and breaking it down among commercial partners.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, Problem last year at Olympia was the lack of free beer...... oh wait! that was the same the year before wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing, it's still there if you know who to tap up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd change my business to gourmet sausage butties based on the most consistently busy stall every year at Olympia Maybe differentiate yourself by offering bacon.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe the powers at the very top of Snowheads Inc. should consider taking a big stand and breaking it down among commercial partners.

Now thats a good idea ...........I would be up for that
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, what end of the abbattoir floor constitutes "gourmet"?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller wrote:
fatbob, what end of the abbattoir floor constitutes "gourmet"?

The posh end where the sawdust is mixed with apple or chives.

C'mon there's a bit of Bambi in some, Timon or Pumba in another. Well that's what was justifying the price tag anyway.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
redrunmarcus wrote:

Now thats a good idea ...........I would be up for that

The Montalbert businessess would need a large stand on their own wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I haven't exhibited at the shows, but did used to manage exhibitions, and in your situation I would suggest waiting until nearer the time and then bagging a huge discount. To be honest, exhibition space is one of those things where the proportion of people who actually pay the published rates is fairly low. You can use the lower visitor numbers to haggle a discount anyway, even if you don't leave it to the last minute.

Or as previously suggested share a (slightly bigger) space with a suitable other relevant business.

D
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the dive show is on at the same time this year and the reciprical deal is being done right now from what i am led to believe

B'Ham is by far the better show of the two as A it is cheaper and B it is 2 days shorter which is two days less food and accomodation... problem with london is all the people appear at the friday night and the weekend...rest of the time can be pretty quiet, as Swiller says the people are much more approachable and intersted in talking to the stand holders... and there is normally a great night out to be had on the friday Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers for the feedback everyone. So I guess I'll play the waiting game and see what price I can get last minute.

Mike Pow, Andorra don't want to share their stand with anyone or give out fliers, as they say if they do it for one they'd have to do it for everybody! I can kind of see their logic, but it would be great to share the cost with them.

Bode Swiller wrote:

Great idea ... would this be a possibility??? If not, is anybody else in a similar situation to me who would consider getting a stand together?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, But the problem with the Brum show is that it is so far oop North Toofy Grin
and to get there I would have to go to London to get a train Confused
But if Swiller is buying the beers........
snow report
Steady on!
snow conditions
snowsteve, HI Steve, hows it going??
If you ask me, last year the Andorra stand was a pile of CRAP, probably why I asked you so many questions, anyway it does get really busy at Olympia and an info point manned by people as helpful and friendly as yourselves would go quite well, BUT, Olympia is very southern where as Brum is much more central and more accessible by more people, i would have thought anyway.
Mrs ricfrench enjoyed her first time so much we are coming back in Feb half term so get some decent prices together for kit and lifts. Laughing
ski holidays
All good cheers Ric! Enjoying the sunshine!

Getting all prices together at the moment and a wider selection of accommodation this year too!
ski holidays
Hi,

I had flyers on the Three Valleys stand at the Metro Ski show last year and didn't even get 1 enquiry out of it...so don't bother, put your marketing budget else where for a better return. However, I had great fun walking around the show (friday when it is a lot less busy and more freebies to be had!) and built up some great contacts.
ski holidays
Might be worth doing what works for very little cost at these kinds of shows - get half a dozen of you in T-shirts with an eye-catching slogan relating to your business, and "ask me" type thing on it in big letters. Have leaflets to hand and be prepared to talk to people in the bars or aisles between stands.

A mate managed to generate a huge amount of awareness by giving away T-shirts at a show a few years ago, on the condition that people changed into them there and then. Very few say no to a free T-shirt and people start to ask what all these people are walking around in branded T-shirts for - also makes your business seem a lot larger and therefore potentially more credible than it otherwise might be seen to be.

Bear in mind a lot of divers are skiiers, so lots of people going between shows is good for business - more potential customers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy