Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do more 'grown-up' skis improve your overall technique

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
fatbob,
Quote:

My experience with Icelantics is that they aren't necessarily more advanced - they just ski differently to other more traditional skis e.g. Head. This means that they seem to be a bit Marmite when people try them, either the differences work for them or they don't.

They may not be 'more advanced' than some, but they were a bloody sight better than my existing skis.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w,
Quote:

the vin chaud of a decent quality.

Is that not an oxymoron.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, go for it Cool

to add to my 1/2 penny worth above, with hind sight I personally would have done well to buy a pair of high performance piste ski's sooner than I did. In the end moving to a stiffer off piste ski made a fair difference.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I would also like to start to make a better attempt at skiing small bumps with the help of an instructor -

That strikes a chord - I've been aiming at that for ages. Sometimes, when following the exact line laid down by an instructor I do a few bumps quite well..... then it all falls apart. I made myself deliberately try quite a nasty mogully black run last year (the only one in our area, and easily avoided by going down a lovely cruisy blue). I didn't ski it well, but I skied it no more badly than all the other skiers around me, and better than some in that I didn't fall or have to keep slithering to a desperate stop (I slithered to a few....). There were no good skiers on that run that day and I felt really quite chuffed. But by the bottom my knees were killing me - I don't think it's something I'm going to be doing much, frankly.

Short manoevrable skis are easiest in bumps!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w,
Quote:

Short manoevrable skis are easiest in bumps!

I have often wondered whether this is why my kids just take, even big bumps, in their stride.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think you can say literally that a ski can improve your technique. They can give you more confidence and certain skis will be easier to ski in certain circumstances. i.e. it's easier to ski fat skis than thin skis in deep snow and I wouldn't particularly want to take a pair of soft skis on an icy piste and so on. I've found that 'better' skis can help you ski faster but if you struggle on a black run then you need to improve your technique on the blues and reds because it's the same technique imo. In fact, it's the same technique wherever you ski on the mountain. I know someone will argue this, but it is - basically.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
erica2004, no, you're quite right. Same technique, modified for specific situations. I reckon my biggest learning phase was spending 3 seasons pootling around mostly on blues with clients. Let me focus on getting all the little details corrected.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't think you can dismiss the idea that buying skis increases motivation to ski more and determination to improve the ability! wink I certainly felt like I had to man up and ski properly the first time I tried race skis or big fatties. Whether I did ski better or not is debatable but I really wanted to and still do! It's like buying new jeans you'll never fit into. Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It's like buying new jeans you'll never fit into

well, more encouraging to buy jeans you WILL fit into, with a bit of effort. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy