Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dog going skiing for the first time

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, my name is Kimbo. I am a nearly nine year old German Shepherd Dog. Normally my owner, Mr. T Baggins leaves me with his parents in law, when he deserts me to go skiing with my mum. ( Mrs. Baggins ).
However later this season Dad has a skiing trip booked and no one to look after me. Apparently because I am already chipped and tattooed, I am booked in at the vets ( yuk ) to be pet passported, whatever that means. Apparently I am going skiing in France for the first time ever, Dad says I don't need a helmet, and my boots should be tight.
Now I am not aggressive and I love snow, and making yellow snow, though Dad always has a strange habit of bagging my doo, weird human hobby I think.

Dad needs to know, do any Dog loving snowheads know, the following.
1) Because I am a German Shepherd, will I need to be muzzled when out making yellow snow in public.
2) Is there any vets you can recommend near Calais open on a Saturday, or Chambery, Grenoble, on a Friday or Saturday.

PS. I might do a trip report, if I can work out how to use Dad's tablet.

Woof, Mr Kimbo Baggins.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dear Kimbo, we do this several times a year. No muzzle needed at all, horrid things, we are also German Shepherds. You will need to have that rabies jab more than 3 weeks before you travel home. Where are your Mam and Dad skiing? There's a vet in Moutiers that Mam and Dad use when we go to Val Thorens that should be open for the tapeworm treatment you need before you come home. I think they open Saturday morning and definitely on Friday. We have to go to the vet more than 24 hours and less than 120 hours before we get the boat or train back to England. Ben and I much prefer France. Everyone is really friendly and thinks we are great.
Ben and Lola.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Ben and Lola. Thanks for reply, Dad says we are either off to ducks alpes, or something that sounds like ducks, could you let us know the vets name for the tapeworm pill. Yes I am booked in for my rabies jab over 3 weeks before we travel. I am looking forward to chasing those 2 ducks.
Regards Kimbo.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kimbo, if you are going to L2A Mum says there is a vet in Bourg d'Oisans you can go to. They are used to doing pet passports. http://veterinairebourgdoisans.chezmonveto.com/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello Bells, Ben and Lola, sniffy bum bum, thanks
Kimbo Baggins.
Wooooooof
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Timbobaggins, Kimbo I am so pleased to read that
Quote:

Dad always has a strange habit of bagging my doo, weird human hobby I think.
my mum says that the owners round Les Gets and Morzine are very naughty and she huffs and puffs as she has to avoid everything that my four legged friends leave around here. Mum says that I haven't left anything around here since I got here six weeks ago, she and my Dad have pocketsful of these little black bags, and she thinks she would start handing them out if only she could spot the naughty owners.

I hope you have a good trip - even though you are a lot bigger than me.

Coco - the cockapoo, who has survived to 8 months, despite cracking my Mum's iPad when she didn't notice me chewing it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We can also recommend some great places to stop for lunch, sleep or snacks WOOF .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Coco, every time dad goes to work, he finds those black bags in all his coat pockets, they have even been found in the tumble dryer, good job they weren't full, woof lol.

Ben and Lola overnight dog friendly stops recommended great fully received, thanks
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh dear god! Twisted Evil

(This being the Internet and all, I should say no offence intended - I'm a dog lover too). NehNeh
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vet in Calais is NOT an option!
You must have the pet passport timestamped a minimum of 24 hrs before your crossing back to the UK, no more than 120 hours.
They will be very specific, and uncompromising at the crossing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rungsp,
Yes mum and dad know that, but we might stay just outside calais for overnight stop.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rungsp, not if you plan to cross the same day. We had a small problem with the vet we used in Italy. He had dated the treatment but not timed it. Fortunately as we were still well within the time frame they let it go, but it could have been a problem if we'd been on the limits of the range. As you say they are uncompromising. Doesn't happen so often now the time-frame is longer, but we've oftem seen distraught pet owners at the tunnel.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="Tom Doc"]Oh dear god! Twisted Evil

You just don't get a dogs passion for snow! NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow I was just speaking about this with my family about hour ago. Where do I start looking for dog friendly chalets?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@WASHOUT, my own apartment (in my signature) is dog-friendly, but there are loads more around.
latest report
Your apartment looks v nice but I think we need something bigger. 8 people plus 2 dogs. It's for next year but will start a new thread later on for a good resort as I am not familiar with the French resorts. Thanks again.
snow conditions
We are dog and cat friendly. We have to be as we have 2 dogs and 6 cats, also there is a very good local vet.
ski holidays
@WASHOUT, lots of dog-friendly places outside of France too.
snow report
Peter42. Added your chalet to favourites will have a look later.
Not 100% sure on resort as I have only been to 3v and espace'killy in france. But priority is 2 toddlers, 2 adults with no experience and grand parents who would not be skiing. 2 dogs (poodle & labradoodle) Private possibly catered chalet v close to resort and hills. Easy skiing resort with excellent toddler ski school and cafes. Would also like pool. Apre/night life not important.
If I am high jacking this thread to much let me know I will start a new one.
snow report
I'm going to go a bit Daily Mail here and say that all dogs should be banned from ski resorts Toofy Grin

I say this because I once had to crawl through their p1ss and $h1t when I dropped the key for my ski lock in Tignes as the Grande Motte restaurant outdoor seating area. Of course it fell through the metal grated floor into the area beneath the platform which(for the benefit of people who haven't been there) serves as both dumping area for snow and a dog toilet.
snow report
Sympathy for this will be highly dependent upon how sober you were when you dropped you keys....😁 . Would then also need to ban a lot of drunk Brits from resorts as well.
ski holidays
After reading the title of this thread, I have to say I'm with under a new name. Snowheads has reached a new low Sad
latest report
@WASHOUT, I am Molly, and I spent Christmas at Alpaka Lodge, a catered chalet with Ski Val. I got so much attention there, I went everywhere, and sat quietly at mum's feet during dinner, hoping for scraps to fall - It was only the kitchen where I wasn't allowed to go, I just wanted some bacon.... but Hannah, the manager there, was lovely enough to sneak some out for me.

My humans had a great ski trip, and I loved being the center of attention at the Alpaka. What a great Christmas.
latest report
Chamcham wrote:
After reading the title of this thread, I have to say I'm with under a new name. Snowheads has reached a new low Sad

My isn't everyone grumpy at the moment.
I suggest skiing holidays all round.

PS topic seemed fine to me and OP got helpful information, kind of what a forum should do n'est-ce pas ?
latest report
@betterinblack, Sorry to all if I sounded grumpy Sad . Despite the fact that we have two dogs, I'm not a doggy person, and I get bemused when my mother in law has conversations with them, expecting them to respond appropriately.
You're right - I'm overdue a skiing holiday. wink
snow conditions
@betterinblack, Probably also not a good idea to post late at night, having had my first drink at the end of a dry January Embarassed rolling eyes
latest report
@Chamcham, I wouldn't normally respond in that way, but like you I'd had a couple of glasses of wine yesterday and it seemed rude not to wink
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, Aaah, all friends again. Gimme strength, I'll be talking to the dogs next... wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm, couple of things here.
I posted my post as I had some genuine questions, and I know from reading threads that a number of the more well established snowheads, who have places in France also have dogs.

Therefore what better place to ask, re taking our dog with us. Big thanks to those who responded.

Yes I posted it as if our dog was asking the question, I think this is called humour, you don't have to read the thread if you don't want to.

I appreciate not everyone likes dogs, I don't like some things either.
Lighten up everyone, off to walk Mr Kimbo now, I might even chat to him as we walk through the fields. Now where did I put those black bags Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@Timbobaggins, we talk to our dogs all of the time. Enjoy your walkies. wink
snow conditions
@Timbobaggins, Apologies, no offence was intended.
latest report
So the dog doesn't ski then? Worse still; no video of any dog skiing. Clearly I'm wasting my time here.. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Timbobaggins,

Barking mad and brilliant snowHead

look forward to the trip report but do remind silly mum and dad that no respectable dog would be seen dead out on the slopes without a nice barrel of brandy wink
snow report
@Timbobaggins, on the subject of overnight stays we stayed here recently, which is about an hour and a bit drive to Calais.http://www.logishotels.com/en/hotel/hotel-le-pot-d-etain-104427 it is just off the autoroute, with motel style rooms, so you are parked outside the door. Good food in the restaurant, and a really nice breakfast . There's also a terrace in some of the rooms to let the dog out for a wee, and a nice walk to a war cemetery in the morning. It's just outside St Quentin, so there may be a vet in the area, but I suggest you'd be best getting the treatment in Bourg d'Oisans on Saturday morning before setting off.
snow conditions
@Chamcham, None taken

@Hells Bells, Brilliant thanks

@Strax, Working on getting him on skis with video to prove it, will he need a helmet though.
snow report
Strax wrote:
So the dog doesn't ski then? Worse still; no video of any dog skiing. Clearly I'm wasting my time here.. Toofy Grin

But who can dispute they have more fun than many skiers.

www.outsideonline.com/1869276/nothing-beats-dog-who-skis
snow conditions
Ah, I love this little video (no planks attached to paws though!): http://www.e-adrenaline.fr/neige/actualites/eddy-le-petit-chien-qui-va-vous-faire-craquer/7364

@Timbobaggins, http://www.fermeduvert.com is another Calais option - it's lovely and they accept dogs.

@WASHOUT, our place is dog-friendly and could accommodate a group of your size. Drop me a message if it looks like the sort of thing you'd be interested in.
latest report
@speed098, hubby took one of our dogs skiing with him in VT last Spring. Picked her up at the Oxalys apartments and skied down to the Chalet Caron opposite the Cairn bubble lift for apres drinks most afternoons. She loved running down the piste behind him. Not sure it would be so successful with the new one, as he loves to roam and would probably trip people up.
snow report
"Pisteur" artists of Tignes - Saturday 30th January

snow report
As many on here know our dogs are very much part of our lives here in the mountains.

They come ski touring and x-country with us - though deep powder is tough on them.

This was a ski tour with them up to The Galibier
http://stylealtitude.com/galibierskitourwithdogs.html

This was last Sat with a friends dog "Belle" who has no issues in the deep snow.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy