Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, just checked the les saises webcams, looks awful and the forecast is pretty grim Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

the forecast is pretty grim

well the forecast is pretty sunny, so that will do nicely compared to today!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, yes but temps up to +15 ain't going to help what looks very brown already, hopefully the north facing slopes are faring better
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
philipb,

Here in Tignes snow above 2500m, sleet/rain below, and not a very pleasant day Sad

I drove through Flumet, Megeve and St Gervais last week and not a pair of skis in sight let alone a skier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In the Northern French Alps this must be... what... the worst winter for a generation ? Shocked

> hopefully the north facing slopes are faring better

conversation with lift pass woman yesterday

me> not too good on the s-w bowl, what's it like on the n/w side
lp woman> not too good (pas terrible)
me> it says "pistes: variable" on the bulletin, what's that mean?
lp woman> they vary between mud, rocks, tree roots and slush
me> oh!
me> it says "liason ouvert: 0cm", what does that mean?
lp woman> it means the piste linking the two ski areas is open, and there is 0cm of snow on it
me> how does that work then?
lp woman> you take your skis off and walk down it
me> oh!!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 4-04-11 14:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, sitting in Leeds and looking at various French webcams, I've never seen Courchevel so brown and bare at this time of the year, certainly the worst I can remember in my memory.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, the view on the Montalbert webcam is more mid May than mid April Confused
But as with many reorts this season a huge credit to the pisteurs for achieving so much with so little raw material. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
davidof, sitting in Leeds and looking at various French webcams, I've never seen Courchevel so brown and bare at this time of the year, certainly the worst I can remember in my memory.

The thing that annoyed me, Friday there was still a lot of nice looking snow above 2000m, then on Saturday we had the zero isotherm at 4500m and the slopes I can see from my house have all purged leaving avalanche debris everywhere (off piste), I guess on the plus side they must be stabilizing now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, I guess if it slides down to grass the slope is then safe Wink

but not that skiable Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
davidof, I guess if it slides down to grass the slope is then safe Wink

but not that skiable Sad

where's PG when you need him?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

temps up to +15 ain't going to help what looks very brown already

true, but anything's better than rain and zero vis. wink

I'm sure some of the slopes are OK, but no way am I going out today to find out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's all sounding rather depressing Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Raining in Val D'Isere centre this afternoon . Apparently The Face and Santons are regularly closed towards end of day...tho Face still skiable for those who break the rules!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also....Tignes glacier v busy but over in Le Fornet the glacier there is good to ski and quieter....so I am reliably informed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've only got the webcams to go on, but the conditions in Serre Che (on piste) at least don't look too bad.
ski holidays
Quote:

Face still skiable for those who break the rules

and don't mind being uninsured?
snow report
If you've got off-piste insurance you can always ski the outside the markers. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
beeryletcher, there was a big discussion about this a while ago and it's not as clear cut as that. Skiing "against local advice" is usually excluded and, by definition, skiing on a closed piste is skiing "against local advice". Policies vary. But anyone planning to ski on closed pistes would be wise to check with their insurers unless they are quite sure they will be covered.
snow conditions
Went down the face on sat, it's all fine apart from the steep section at the bottom. I wouldn't risk it, if you are using your own kit there are some pretty big stones on it. It was closed at 11am the bottom section was suffering and going brown. It is also closed for a reason, the pisteurs have done a cracking job this year perhaps they are trying to preserve it so don't make their lives harder for them. Get up early and ski it when it's nice and icey. On a happy note Val and tignes are both ok at the moment. Early doors they are fine and later it is a bit slushy but the glaciers are superb. It was raining when I left today. So I don't know what effect that will have..
latest report
Quote:

In the Northern French Alps this must be... what... the worst winter for a generation ? Shocked

davidof, I might even agree with you now! Blush

From what I can see (have been up Les Gets/Morzine/Samoens way a few times) it's been truly dire up there. Here in the Tarentaise a little further south, it's been just about acceptable for most of the season (on piste) but is disappearing before our eyes now.

I could put up a set of photos much like yours in the "not that bad really" thread, but a few decent days don't make a good season!
snow conditions
Cibouit avalanched yesterday in Monetier. Whole top section of the mountain was closed due to avalanche danger. I know VT is higher, but with nothing but warm sunshine forecast for the foreseeable future, I don't know if the EOSB is worth it .
snow conditions
Hells Bells, worth it in terms of there being no snow or worth it in terms of Avalanche danger ?
ski holidays
Hells Bells, you'll get banned with talk like that Wink
ski holidays
bladeskier both I suppose.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
I've only got the webcams to go on, but the conditions in Serre Che (on piste) at least don't look too bad.

Serre Che has had a lot more snow than the Northern Alps though. I bet the CDA are glad they bought it.
snow report
davidof, I bet they are.
kitenski, shhh. Repeat after me................. I'm sure it will be fine, I'm sure it will be fine.............
latest report
Hells Bells, from latania.co.uk

Despite poor snow conditions, skiing confirmed until April 25th in Courchevel Valley. #LaTania gondola will remain open.
snow report
Looks like winter is arriving at the end of April Wink

for the Arlberg, for me I hope that disturbance around the 15th comes forward as we leave very early on the 16th!!

Trois Vallees look likely for some more rain next week

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, hope these wigglies are right.
snow conditions
waynos, chances are slim.... always hope though
ski holidays
waynos, the chance of them being right so far out are pretty slim I'd say!!
snow report
The warm spring and very warm April temperatures continue, although there have been some suggestions in the last few runs of cooler (or at least close to average) temperatures from around 17 April as cooler air potentially flows in from the North. Though that is some way off...

Here is how the GFS 00z operational sees things overnight just over two weeks from now (ie very low confidence).

ski holidays
nozawaonsen, low confidence is better that no confidence.
latest report
hmm, keeping a rose tinted eye on the 13th April for the Arlberg......
ski holidays
At some stage it must turn colder this year and snow, at least high up. Could Easter or early May end up being very snowy.?I wouldn't want to bet against that.
snow report
Peter S wrote:
At some stage it must turn colder this year and snow, at least high up.

October.
snow conditions
Peter S, I think every month someone has said the next month must turn cold and snowy, but it's not happened, still the 6z continues my hope for snow on the 13th in the Arlberg next week

There is still the hint of something colder by mid April in the 06z runs as well....
snow report
Quote:

At some stage it must turn colder this year and snow, at least high up

November.

I've been sat out on the terrace reading but have had to come in to change out of my too-hot denims and find some sun-cream. It's a hard life.
snow conditions
Not October, it is forecast to be dry and mild
ski holidays
Quite a switch being suggested from mid April. Very warm up until then. Quite possibly below average after then...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy