Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer overnight in the Jura

Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations for places to stay? We usually take a couple of nights on the way down to SC in the summer, and have our first night sorted in Champagne region. Instead of heading for our usual wine tasting in Beaune, we were thinking of Arbois area or perhaps Poligny, but as we haven't been there before, we are open to suggestions.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hells Bells, Don't stay in the Hotel Paris in Poligny....its listed in Logis de France and is nice enough in it's way but is run by an elderly version of Herman Munster and his wife who are less than on the ball when it comes to running their hotel!! Poligny itself is pleasant enough

Have you been to Dole? Rather nice for a visit, very historic town with the Doubs running through. I can't spot the hotel we stayed in on t'internet...perhaps it's closed down...so can't give you a recommended hotel.

Lons le Saunier is less historic but would also be nice for a short stay....we've only stayed in the local Campanile here so don't know any of the local hotels to recommend.

Either town is easy access from the motorway as you're passing through...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
homphomp, it must be the place for eccentric hotel owners, Sybil and Basil FAwlty are apparently running another nearby establishment.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was planning a stay in Pontarlier, mainly because it seems to be the home of Absinthe! and then going via Switzerland and Chamonix before arriving in Ste Foy for the summer maintenance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fogliettaz, oh heck, don't tell my hubby it is the home of absinthe, I've had trouble enough explaining that there are no whisky distilleries in the French Jura
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have also thought about heading for the Rhone vineyards for a couple of nights.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells wrote:
I have also thought about heading for the Rhone vineyards for a couple of nights.
Maybe kill two birds with one stone and stay in Tain l'Hermitage - home of Valrhona! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hotel de France in Ornans is excellent and it's a lovely town on the river at the end of a most spectacular gorge. It's where we stop on the return journey in April and officially start our spring.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Planning a visit to the vineyards just outside Chambery to sample the Savoie wines.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fogliettaz, I prefer the Haute=Alpes wines to the Savoie ones, but wine tasting is good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve Sparks, that looks like a nice hotel.

Some great ideas. I might never make it to Monetier.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
Maybe kill two birds with one stone and stay in Tain l'Hermitage - home of Valrhona! Toofy Grin

Looking better and better, researching Vienne-Valence area , as it is only about 2.5 hours from our apartment, and I love Roman ruins, wine and chocolate.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells, I've stayed here ( researching Condrieu and Cote Rotie, as you do) and it was jolly nice:
http://hotellerie-beau-rivage.h-rez.com/
It's just round a bend in the river which prevents you from seeing all the industrial horrors, so long as you don't walk too far up the road! Prices seem to have gone up rather alarmingly since I was last there, however. Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, see what you mean. I think I'm going to have to leave the Rhone Valley for another year. Apparently julesb and Agenterre have been trying to organise a pi$$-up in a brewery, so other plans were already afoot. Now the women are taking over we may get something sorted.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hells Bells, We stay here in Dole http://www.la-chaumiere.info/ if we can en route to Serre Che. We found it entirely by accident in a desparate 'omg it is 6pm and we've got nowhere to stay....this looks ok.' moment several years ago and have been back 2 or 3 times. It is divine. Not much to look at from outside, and the rooms were a little tired, but ...the restaurant....Michelin star... Little Angel
Quite possibly the BEST combination of flavours I have had with a steak in my life...Has menus where monsieurs has prices on but madame's does not... Toofy Grin The chef is always around, very friendly, and his wife is utterly stunning in that French women sort of way without being totally affected or snooty. Lovely people lovely atmosphere. Loads of parking too. Has got a nice little unheated outdoor pool, which is good for cooling off, and is on route out of town so is nice and quite in evening. If that is what you want.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
Hurtle, see what you mean. I think I'm going to have to leave the Rhone Valley for another year. Apparently julesb and Agenterre have been trying to organise a pi$$-up in a brewery, so other plans were already afoot. Now the women are taking over we may get something sorted.

Heresy .. our plans are sound. And you've made what progress in the last week? wink
ski holidays
Agenterre, none whatsoever, as I do not have your OH's email address, seeing as she in now 'retired' wink . I will trust the pair of you to come up with something .
snow conditions
Quote:
I will trust the pair of you to come up with something .

We will ... plans all finalised. In July, you drive South-ish (or not), we drive North-ish (or not) ... stop at a bar/restaurant/hotel, follow the smell ... job done ..easy Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
Agenterre, ok, fair enough. Do you have a preferred destination, not sure they'll let us back into Sisteron, there was an awful lot of soldiers with guns as we left town last time!!
latest report
Can recommend Residence Charles Sander in Salins les Bains booked through the Logis website - stayed overnight in their little apartment for 4 on way to Saas Fee late July - perfect for a family. Lovely quiet and friendly hotel - looked after us very well. Interesting village with spa - main road through it but gets quiet at night. 2 more Logis hotels there too, both of which looked ok.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy