Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which base & edge angles?

Poster: A snowHead
I've got my new Rage Storm skis, but the base and edge angles are set at 0 / 90 for Freestyle. Since I will be using them as Freeride / All Mountain should I leave them as they are or change them to a different angle such as 1 / 88?

Ideas?

This the sort of thing you wanted, ok so it's not about technique, but it is technical fatbob wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-06-10 20:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
anarchicsaltire, be a devil, do 86 degrees Twisted Evil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DAB, being a devil would make them at least 92 Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
anarchicsaltire, hehe!how are you these days? Been quiet without you!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DAB, good, been away climbing in Snowdonia with Mounta1nGoat over the holiday. Almost killed by a sheep which fell off the crag about 100m above and landed 4m from me, they don't bounce well. My first thought was 'there goes another of Scarpa's climbing buddies ' Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
anarchicsaltire, Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Was Scarpa behind the sheep?? He is a rascal! That reminds me of when we went downhill biking and LB drove into a cow...I mean, its not as if he couldn´t have avoided it rolling eyes
Did you take any pics? I bet it was beautiful up there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Did you take any pics?

The sheep wasn't very photogenic by the time it stopped rolling rolling eyes

I think Mounta1nGoat, took some scenic shots when it wasn't raining.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anarchicsaltire, shepherds pie for dinner then tomorrow?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Won't Mr DAB get upset at us having dinner? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
anarchicsaltire, He´s in Mallorca all week;) I like mine with a lot of gravy Blush
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DAB wrote:
anarchicsaltire, Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Was Scarpa behind the sheep?? He is a rascal!

Hey... they push back harder on a cliff edge Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
anarchicsaltire, My old skis started as a 1/89 but I eventually changed to 0.7/87. I put a 2 degree edge on my semi fats but if I ever start to struggle with grip on icy pistes I'll change to a 3 as it won't make any difference once back in the deep stuff.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
anarchicsaltire wrote:
I've got my new Rage Storm skis, but the base and edge angles are set at 0 / 90......

That's very surprising & it's not right that they've been shipped with no base angle. All the Storm skis that I've handled have had a 1 degree base edge angle & some side edge angle but can't remember what. Sounds like they've not been edged. Have you contacted Storm?

I'd recommend at least 1,2 preferably 1,3.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Jon

did that,

'As the Rage is a freestyle ski you should keep the base flat and edge angles at a neutral 90degree angle this is really an industry standard unless you are on race skis'

think I will start at 1,2.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
anarchicsaltire wrote:
......'As the Rage is a freestyle ski you should keep the base flat and edge angles at a neutral 90degree angle this is really an industry standard unless you are on race skis'......

That's total bollox from Storm & is definately not industry standard Shocked rolling eyes

A totally flat base edge makes a ski as hooky as hell which is the opposite of what's required in a freestyle ski!

Have you actually measured the angles?
latest report
spyderjon, quick check and the edge appears to be around 2 and base about 0.5 as a 0.5 guide removes most of a magic marker. I thought Storm's recommendation was very strange too!
ski holidays
0/0 would be miserable. I tend to go 1/2 on skis I can't be arsed to maintain, 1/3 on skis I'll bother to keep sharp.
latest report
anarchicsaltire, leave the base at .5
snow report
1+3 here too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy