Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzsteinhorn closed til " end of September"

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if anyone is heading over here in the next 2 weeks but the glacier is closed from 7th--18th June for revision work.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 7-08-10 0:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When is its exam?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flangesax, Boom Boom!!! Laughing Laughing Didn´t see you up there this week end???? wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't extend my budget to allow for all this summer skiing malarky!... We have just bought the Dachstein Summer Cards... loads of inclusive lifts and pools and archery and a heavily discounted ski jump course... I might go for that...but may be a bit big for the dress code!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flangesax, DAB, I'm giving up and am off to France for a fortnight on Saturday - just to confirm all my nasty prejudices of course!!! Laughing

I presume the lifts start up again in august Debbie? Will LB now have to go to Hintertux to train or do they use the Dachstein (a bit flat though isn't it)?

I'm sitting here in my sweat box office trying to concentrate on work while my head is already on holiday! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, Hi Sue!!It´s odd you never show on my fb chat? I hope you have a wonderful time in France, are you going to Provence? The lifts are only closed for 2 weeks, so yes LB has to train on the Dachstein, but he´s only doing tech training so gradient isn´t a problem wink xxx Debs
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What I don't understand why they don't do annual maintenance in August-September, when the glacier doesn't hold snow.

Why shut for 2 weeks when you can run the place, and then shut the place again because its all moraine left.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So exactly how do you repair/revise a Glacier?
Does it involve chainsaws, JCB's, bulldozers, a really big freezer?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bob, I think it´s more to see that all the cable cars and lifts are working to proper h&s spec, with what happened up there a few years ago can you blame them????
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ronald, The Austrian glaciers are open all year round so they look at the school holiday times and select dates where the kids are in school and the Dutch might just be staying at home for a while! Laughing The 2 weeks after Whitsun is always a good bet before the rolling school holidays start in late June.

If it is only 2 weeks, then they are just running the TÜV tests that they have to complete at least once a year.

DAB, I was due to be on the glacier that day and had told everyone the day before I was off to ski at Kaprun. I had even loaded up the car the night before so I could get a quick get away. Then in the morning I overslept and just thought "sod it!" and just took myself off for the day without telling anyone. Came home to find my phone ringing its head off and loads of "where are you?" messages left all over the place! Apparently my Dad was getting set to drive out from the UK to find me one way or another! I went cold and started shaking so much I had to sit down, when my friends told me what had happened - never been so happy to miss a day's skiing in my life! It still makes me shiver/shake a little when I think about it. I would have been on the train about then as I hate going up in the gondola and much preferred the train. Shocked

Funnily enough I've only been back a couple of times since and it always makes me a little pensive about what-ifs, etc.!

Re FB - I have the chat switched off most of the time - I'm a miserable old git when it comes to that sort of thing! Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue, Shocked I remember that day like it was yesterday Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For anyone considering a jaunt out to Kitz for the summer, DON´T!! It will be closed from 9th August - til " end Sept" ...due to lack of snow Shocked Never known it shut so long, I will try and post a link tomorrow when I am back in Austria, my internet is struggling here.
http://en.kitzsteinhorn.at/news/openedlifts.htm

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 7-08-10 0:41; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are off to Mölltal for 2 weeks tomorrow, will send an update about condis there
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAB wrote:
We are off to Mölltal for 2 weeks tomorrow, will send an update about condis there

DAB, How are things looking?

Any views on how Hintertux is faring?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It did not look that bad on this report from the 8th of August:

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=36052
ski holidays
Whitegold, sorry for the delay, no skiing today, weather closed in and very windy, not looking too great for the week end, but the snow was holding up, just poor viz.
latest report
Samerberg Sue, just to crash the thread slightly but with similar(ish) experience. My family had come to pick me up from Austria (when I lived in Klagenfurt) and we were planning to leave Saturday morning to drive up to Heidelberg for Saturday night. Friday I finished work early so we thougt we'd get a head start and head for Chiemsee. We were sat in queueing traffic (queueing both ways inside the tunnel) in the Tauern tunnel for hours, feeling really uncomfortable and claustrophobic, coughing from the fumes (and more than a little Shocked at the Italians in the car next to us leaning over their open bonnet, engine running, smoking cigarettes). Very relieved when we got out and had a lovely evening in Chiemsee, next morning when we should have been travelling, Tauern tunnel went up in smoke.

Scary thoughts Sad .

Also remember Kaprun like it was yesterday.

D
ski holidays
DAB wrote:
Whitegold, sorry for the delay, no skiing today, weather closed in and very windy, not looking too great for the week end, but the snow was holding up, just poor viz.

Thanks, DAB.

Just seen the Kitz glacier at 3k meters. It looks in a terrible mess.
snow report
Whitegold, it´s a shocker, +10 at 3000m tomorrow. We gave up in Mölltal today, rain at 3000m, switching base to Zermatt, fingers crossed , need to get some decent training in .
snow conditions
DAB, TJ & some of GB team have just been in Saas Fee for 10 days. Snow conditions pretty good, just had bad vis and high winds so missed a few days training. Also did 2 days DH & SG training in Zermatt with Russian team. Conditions there good enough for some excellent speed raining.
The weather this time of year can be very iffy so you may lose some days as the lifts might not open. Hope L gets some decent training in.
ski holidays
Plugboy, hey! Hope you and TJ are ok! Packing the boys off to Zermatt tomorrow with their trainer, the snow in Mölltal was some of the best they had at this time of the year, but the viz and winds were horrific:( Looked at the long term forecast...it´s a gamble , maybe see you out there?
snow report
Here is a good Summer skiing report from Ski Info.

Ten glaciers are currently open in the European Alps.

Temps are high.

Hintertux and Zermatt probably have the most open terrain.
latest report
Whitegold, thanks for that, got a bit of a better feeling now, you off anywhere?
ski holidays
DAB, Yeah, we'll be at Hintertux for a few days in October.
ski holidays
Conditions on Mölltal pretty good still, tho in the very early morning(uplift 6am!) very icy.
ski holidays
Hintertux glacier, run still open till 2660mtr

http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/

Lots of photos on this trip report from German forum:

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=36165

Translated: http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpinforum.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D46%26t%3D36165&sl=de&tl=en
latest report
Kitzsteinhorn opening again wednesday 22nd Sept, will be up there next week and try to post some pics
ski holidays
Hey Guys!

I actually just got home from the glacier a couple of days ago and it was EPIC! I have to admit it was b bit chilly compared to Wyoming this time of year, but my wife and I had a great time. The tram might have J Hole beat and that is saying something... Let me know if anybody else has been to Kitzsteinhorn as of late, would love to swap some stories. My wife and I had a couple wild nights with the locals!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JholeJib, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead I've not been to Kitzsteinhorn recently (the last time was the same year as the tragic fire Skullie ).
The Austrian apres-ski can certainly be wild! Laughing - Was that your first ski trip to Austria?
P.S I'm also in the ultrasound business, but industrial Non-Destructive Examination rather than medical. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Quote:
The Austrian apres-ski can certainly be wild!

Anyone else remember the old baum bar in the centre of Kaprun before it burnt down? Must get back to the Kitzsteinhorn, return visit long over due.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy