Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instructor Training Insurance - Help!!

Poster: A snowHead
Folks, I'm looking any first hand experience and advice out there...

Despite having Level 4 Executive Annual Multi-Trip cover with SCGB, I found out recently that it won't cover me for my Ski Instructor Training course in NZ. Apparently, the policy I have covers the activity but not the duration.

I'll be training for 78 days and out of the UK for 108 days. Maximum trip cover with SCGB is 60 days, and cannot be extended as it turns out. Kind of ironic really, that the max SCGB winter sports policy won't cover a season!

My only option with SCGB is to buy a completely separate additional Singe Trip policy specifically for this trip. Apparently I can keep the other annual policy in the background but it's effectively useless to me for the 4 months I'm away, and can't be suspended or refunded in any way, the latter being 'normal' practice.

I've of course looked at alternatives: neither Snowcard nor Dog Tag are able to cover my trip.

BMC are looking interesting - they offer an annual policy (with massive single trip duration of 15 months across a renewal!) which is coming in less expensive than SCGB's 'additional single trip' policy. However, on the assumption that it would be 'risky' to have multiple insurance policies (certainly from different vendors) running concurrently (even though my existing SCGB one would be redundant for the trip) I'd have to 'bin' the SCGB one (after only a few months) which would seem like a huge waste, and one that would leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Any first hand experience out there? Puzzled

Many thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you looked at the insurance developed by DogTag for BASI?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, don't you have to be a BASI member or on BASI course to get that? If the OP is doing the course in NZ he might not be doing BASI?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1, possibly, not sure of the details. Certainly worth checking.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zirynx, I'd have said Ski Club, but they have changed their policies of late. After that BASI - but membership required, so BMC looks the best option. It has a good rep (although be careful if you do a trip to say Australia).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zirynx, you just need to be an Associate Member of BASI to buy their insurance. ie training to become a BASI Member and having paid the associate member fee which I think is £45 or thereabouts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, beanie1, Sorry, I should have included that I'd already looked at BASI and yes, it requires membership. I'll be doing an NZSIA course.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
david@mediacopy wrote:
Zirynx, I'd have said Ski Club, but they have changed their policies of late. After that BASI - but membership required, so BMC looks the best option. It has a good rep (although be careful if you do a trip to say Australia).

Care to expand or enlighten us? Otherwise it's a little cryptic!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BMC.

Nothing to worry about. Best policy out there IMHO.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[Start ACDC style singing] B-M-C They're dynamite! [close ACDC style singing]

Sorry, just finished exams and feeling good lol.

But seriosuly, BMC are the best out there, I've only had to claim from them once, but they were ace, I had the money within two weeks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zirynx, I heard of an instance where someone was doing a season in country 'A' but travelled to country 'B' on a day trip \ weekender. Had a problem and then discovered they were not covered. Apparently a BMC policy but this is 2nd hand info, so worth double checking. I'd have thought it's unlikely to be an issue in NZ.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
david@mediacopy, With BMC you either have UK, Euro or World Wide coverage, so you should be fine as long as you stay within countries within your 'class.'
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, Dunno, just repeating what I've heard. No reason to suppose it was untrue. IIRC the person concerned may have been a BASI trainer, and come to think of it, it was a BASI trainer who recounted the story. This was apparently Europe. Perhaps Switzerland doesn't count wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't really imagine getting insurance outside of BMC either, after how efficiently they've processed both my claim and a friends.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The BMC policy does indeed look good and I especially like the simplicity of it's structure. However, I'm starting to think that it's a little too simplified because I'm struggling to find out clear information about cover for specific activities.

For example, I cannot clearly identify whether the following activities (which I am interested in) are covered under any of the different levels of policy! I have emailed them to try and find out.

Archery
Bobsleigh
Bungee Jumping
Gliding
Jet Skiing
Kite Surfing

For every other insurance company that I have considered, there has been a very detailed document online that lists just about every inclusion/exclusion. For example this webpage...

http://www.worldnomads.com/policy_wording.aspx?pid=cdb7e93069d643068fcb5f44879967bc#sports

...has virtually all the information I might need about cover for specific activities, but there doesn't seem to be a similar document on the BMC website.

In the event of an unfortunate accident, I have no doubt that all insurance companies will resort to what's printed in 'black and white' so I'm just looking to be absolutely certain about the cover I end up buying.

Can anyone tell me whether BMC policy documents are any more explicit than the website?

Thanks
snow conditions
We swapped from SCGB to BMC for our daughter's insurance when she was on an instructor training course. If you are likely to teach (and get paid for teaching) for a week or two during the high season you may need to upgrade to professional level, but that can probably wait. The same applies if you stay on to teach after the end of the course as our daughter did. BMC is also good if you need professional insurance for future years - our daughter still teaches during her uni holidays. Fortunately there has been no need to make a claim.
snow report
I did a ski instructor training course in NZ last year (perhaps with the same people as you Zirynx?), and I took out American Express cover. They covered me for 120 continuous days out of the country, and include most things snow when you take out the wintersports and the additional activity option. This lasted for 1 year and cost £180, so quite reasonable.
latest report
BMC is what I use. It covers me offpiste in Europe and Extreme Wildwater in the Grand Canyon. If I wanted to, I could climb Himalayan peaks and still be covered.
snow conditions
My son's just finished his CASI 2 course in Canada and he bought the BMC policy. The documents that arrived were very comprehensive and the claim for a doctor's visit and medication was paid in about 4 weeks, no quibbles. He's staying out there to work and is covered whilst he's there under the poicy too.
ski holidays
Hi there,

I noticed someone had insured themselves with Amex. I have an annual policy with them, but I was aware it only covered me for periods of up to 31 days of travel. When I called to upgrade for my ski instructor course, the 120 day policy sounded perfect, but when I enquired about the snow sports cover, it only insures a maximum of 30 days on piste. Caution is advised, as they will find any way they can to avoid paying out!

James
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy