Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going to Passo Tonale / Dolomites?

Poster: A snowHead
Don't bother- nothing but slush and grass- Folgarida and Marrileva are likely to be closing imminently and temperatures expected to hit 20 degrees this week!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Help! - 16 of us going to Passo Tonale on Saturday. Should we pack our wellies instead?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads Christina1, I hope the conditions improve for you for next week snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christina1, I'm really sorry to have to show you this - these are the lower slopes in Passo Tonale - if I remember rightly the glacier is on the mountain behind where this web cam is so hopefully a bit better up there Helena? Confused Confused Confused

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 17-08-05 23:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
theres still some left!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Worryingly we have some children with us who are complete beginners. The ski school will probably just laugh when we try to book lessons! Starting to wonder whether we should hire cars and explore the area. Unfortunately we couldn't get away at half-term and now Essex have cancelled Easter holidays so this was the best we could do. Half-term is booked for next year though!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christina1, I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I was sooo disappointed at the poor conditions. There is one nursery slope that doesn't look too bad- it's down opposite the gondola that takes you up to the Glacier, try that one rather than the nursery slopes the other end of the resort.

It depends how much skiing you want to do. I like to be out from first to last lift usually but managed about 10 runs in total all week which took maybe 2 hours max. I have never skiied in slush and just couldn't get the hang of it at all. I fell loads as it's all very unpredicatable!! There is a thread on tuition/ technique section which I wished I had read before I went- It might have made things easier! If you like skiing in slush you will be fine!

The glacier conditions are far better but you are very limited to two black runs and a red. Also the queue for teh 2 t-bar lifts was enormous. The red was a bit beyond my son who careered straight down almost giving me heart failure so I didn't go up there again.

There is very little to do in passo Tonale so hiring a car would be strongly advisable. We drove from Milan so were able to get out for a couple of days . Also we did some walking so take some hiking boots too.
Where are you staying? We were in the sport vittoria which was very good value for money- one good thing about the trip at least!

Good luck!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you Helena for your advice. We are staying at Hotel Gardenia. I wish we could take hiking boots, but we are flying with Ryanair so have our luggage restrictions! Also I bought a new CREAM ski jacket for the trip - I think that should be put away for next year! I have never had the mis-fortune to ski in slush before so that will be interesting. I am holding out a tiny bit of hope for the weather to improve by the end of the week. Snow-forecast seem to be wavering between either heavy rain or heavy snow, so I just need it to nudge my way.

It is such a shame that we are going to end up in a resort with not much to do. We would have preferred to book an italian pretty resort, but of course were guided by height. I see that Bormio is only 26 kilometres away - we skied there last year. Perhaps we may be able to visit there as there was certainly plenty to do.

Thank you again.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That web cam picture looks scary for 1883 metres, having said that, it's been a shocker all year for the Italian resorts.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The weather is looking quite good. Passo Tonale is set for heavy snow...... fingers crossed! Very Happy Could anyone give me any advise on where to eat for lunch? Thanks .
Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Christina1, - fingers crossed for your weather. Last year at lunchtime, we ate at the Pizzeria room in the Miramonti hotel - good prices for excellent pizza and pasta and happy to reserve a table for you as well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Theres a good and cheap bar next door to the Paradiso Hotel. (near the glacier)

not sure what the snow is like at the other end of the village, but we stayed at the paradiso and mainly ate at the local bar!

That picture has blown my socks off. Gobsmacked.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not so shocked, had friends who skied Passo in April 2 years ago, conditions were worse than that, and its been bad pretty much everywhere so ... To be honest if I was faced with this id think bout cancelling and gettin a cheapo last minute deal somewhere else. I skied Passo last Feb and the place was fairly dull even with a full ski area open. Sorry for being honest.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not so shocked, had friends who skied Passo in April 2 years ago, conditions were worse than that, and its been bad pretty much everywhere so ... To be honest if I was faced with this id think bout cancelling and gettin a cheapo last minute deal somewhere else. I skied Passo last Feb and the place was fairly dull even with a full ski area open. Sorry for being honest.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We shall just soldier on. I think I would rather be in Passo Tonale than Chelmsford. We shall definitely be able to ski a little, it's just a shame for the beginners as it looks like their first experience of skiing will be a red or black on the glacier! At least there are quite a few of us and we all have the opinon that we should make the most of it. We are not paying a fortune as (for some reason!) the ski pass at this time of year comes free.
snow report
Christina1, I would agree with you - anywhere with some snow is better than Chelmsford with no snow. We went to Passo last year in a group of 10. We were taking our 2 children skiing for the first time and although it is not the liveliest resort on the planet it is not the back of beyond either. Hope you have a good time. Smile Smile
ski holidays
Might be worth a day trip to Madonna di Campiglio
snow conditions
Don't waste your time or money upgrading your lift pass to include Madonna, Folgarida or Marrileva as the slopes are just as bad! However, madonna is a nice place to visit. there is a bus on Thurdays- the tourist office have all the times.
latest report
Well we went to Tonale last year and had a thoroughly enjoyable week Jonathanbone17....... so I guess its horses for courses....... we were there in March and had incredible conditions, I thought it was a lovely little resort and the facilities at our hotel (Paradiso) were top notch.

i guess its down to personal preference and the definition of dull.
ski holidays
Yeah spose, I just found the skiing a little limited (its a bit more limited now but for other reasons) what floats ya boat. I like my resorts big and lively ... on the slopes and off Toofy Grin . If you're still goin, all the best and I hope you manage to make something out of your holiday.
ski holidays
Being in our forties, we are more medium and busyish on the resort/slope front! So Passo Tonale probably is'nt too bad. Snow Club of Great Britain are listing it in top 20 for most snow forecast. Hopefully it won't be a complete disaster.
snow report
Sorry - I meant Ski Club. (I have been on Snow-forecast so many times I have snow on the brain)!
snow conditions
Christina1, its looking a bit better this morning - there's a lot of damage to be repaired but hopefully there will be enough snow today and tomorrow to refresh those nursery slopes and at least give your young beginners a good introduction to skiing.
ski holidays
I am trying not to get too excited. Only looks like a centimetre on the roof tops - it will need an awful lot to fill in the ditches I saw exposed on the nursery slope web cams. I must stop looking at all these sites as I won't get my packing done! As the temperatures are so low I am hoping they will start being able to use their large armoury of snow cannons. Actually I am so excited I feel quite sick! Temperature this morning in Chelmsford 3 degrees so I am not feeling so much that I should be going on my summer holidays instead!
snow report
We had about four foot overnight whilst we were out there Christina1, so once it gets going, it really does know how to snow out there!!!!!! I hope you have a lovely holiday and enjoy the resort. We did.

Fruity xxxxx
snow report
looks like the snow gods came to your rescue Christina, enjoy yourselves.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy