Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it Winter yet?

Poster: A snowHead
How long to December?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
too long..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Too long, but November touring isn't that far away...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Worst part of being a teacher is being limited to school holidays...the extra cost sucks...managed to go twice last year, Borovets (poor) and Alpendorf in Austria (good).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weekends could be doable, if you get friday night-Sunday night flights cheaply... or Scotland... or if we're lucky October half term touring!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, have been seriously thinking about Scotland this year after the bumper crop! Probably better snow than borovets! I've checked out the websites just got to convince a)my mates b)my wife.... that some skiing is better than no skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"at the moment it looks as though there is a high probability that next winter will again be colder than average." TheWeatherOutlook
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The volcanic dust from Eyjafjallajoekull could, in theory, slightly reduce average temperatures for the next few years, especially if it wakes up its partner volcano! But were are only talking fractions of degrees so I wouldn't buy a lodge in Scotland just yet! lol
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red run luke wrote:
Worst part of being a teacher is being limited to school holidays...the extra cost sucks...managed to go twice last year, Borovets (poor) and Alpendorf in Austria (good).

Must be a nightmare only having 13 weeks paid holiday each year, how horrible!!! Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thats why i'm going in to do revision with my year 10's and yr 11's all this week (half term)? And the marking and lesson preparation every night! Plus, there is no point having all that time off if you can't go skiing!!! I would rather have a shorter summer holiday and more time off in winter! Naughty Rick! detention lol
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red run luke wrote:
Worst part of being a teacher is being limited to school holidays...the extra cost sucks

Depends where you go wink

I have said it before, if teachers want to go skiing at HT then why not form a teacher's ski club and buy your holiday in bulk.
You'll get them much cheaper.

There is no reason (even at HT) to pay silly prices for a ski trip (inc. flight, transfers, hotels, lift pass, etc).

I'm sure that, apart from the big resorts in France you could find some to go for a price that's OK. Austria (again, even at HT) ain't that much, nor is Italy or Norway.

Look around and "book early"
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne, If I was single that would be great, I am only interested in the skiing and getting drunk! I could sleep in a skip all week eating mouldy pizza and get there by coach!!! However, when you have to take the wife and kids, plus nephews, nieces,friends and friends of friends then I have to compromise????????
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What price would you was reasonable ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Free?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dead easy - get a job as a rep.

If you want to go on a ski trip at HT for a reasonable cost then it's not hard.
Only one rule applies
BOOK EARLY
ski holidays
red run luke, But it can be done reasonably in school holidays, you need to plan ahead though. I'm taking my daughter next winter in October half term (Tignes on the glacier, cost peanuts), February half term (probably St Anton, flights to Zurich booked for under £100 each) and Easter (driving to Les Deux Alpes).

Last 2 February half terms I've done Zermatt and Laax, both cost not much more than half a tour operator's price. You need to really plan ahead though, flight prices for next February are already through the roof. Easter is your best bet.
ski holidays
red run luke wrote:
Plus, there is no point having all that time off if you can't go skiing!!! I would rather have a shorter summer holiday and more time off in winter!

Go work in Austria then, you get all of February off, plus in many places I think it's only half days in school?
snow report
The GCSE in German suddenly makes sense Clarky999!!!! Everthing in life does have a purpose. Thanks for all the advice Snowheads, Is there anywhere else in Europe where I can ski in October half term? Norway?
ski holidays
red run luke, Glaciers only I suspect, France, Switzerland, Austria perhaps Italy. Main Norwegian resorts are generally quite low, I went to Geilo after Christmas one year and there wasn't that much snow then. Really northern ones in Scandinavia perhaps.
ski holidays
Just looked at glacier skiing on the internet! Can I Blush really go summer skiing in Zermatt? Has anyone been summer skiing? Obviously it isn't as good as winter but it can't be any worse than Borovets?
snow report
You can also summer ski at Les Deux Alpes aswell., never done it but does it beat not going at all, i think we all know the answer to that question!!!
snow conditions
Wow! Just found out some resorts in Austria had a metre of snow in October! This has opened my eyes and closed my wallet. Wow
latest report
red run luke wrote:
How long to December?

Winter starts in about 1 day if you live in NZ.
ski holidays
How long till october?
ski holidays
Last two seasons plenty of resorts in Austria had lots of snow in October, however as far as I'm aware only the glacier resorts (which would normally be open at that time of year anyway) had lifts running, so you had to skin up for your lines. A lot of the snow subsequently melted before the main season too, so really (apart form glaciers) it's wait to see what happens, and go as/if the snow falls. Conditions can be ace though!!
latest report
Book early! or book late! But don't site on the fence like I am then!
latest report
red run luke, Summer skiing is where it's at. Come in the first week you break up (most wait until the 2nd week), rent a chalet in Venosc or bring a tent. Ski in the mornings and do whatever you like in the afternoons. Lots to choose from and it's usually hot and sunny around here in summer. October half term is OK as Colin B, says, but we are only open for the week of All Saints which doesn't always co-incide. Zermatt is open all year. Tignes opens in October and Kaprun, Hintertux and Stubaital may also be open then. Lots of choice and great fun. Very Happy
ski holidays
red run luke, head down to Las Lenas for the summer, I've never been outside of Europe but the photos look stunning and thats got to be more fun than staying in England 6 weeks. I've got half a mind to go there myself for the whole of the next summer. Or head to NZ.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne wrote:
If you want to go on a ski trip at HT for a reasonable cost then it's not hard.
Only one rule applies
BOOK EARLY

Rubbish. You don't really understand market forces do you. He could book 5 years in advance but any sensible accommodation owner / provider would be mad to under sell one of the prime weeks.

Demand > Supply.

Sorry teachers. Seriously though, why not go to South America for the whole of August?
latest report
parlor, as you know, HT accommodation books very early (my apartment is almost always booked at least 11 months in advance), so while you're extremely unlikely to get price reductions by booking early you will have the best choice of accommodation, and if booking DIY travel prices will be at their cheapest when they are first released.
snow report
red run luke,
Quote:

The volcanic dust from Eyjafjallajoekull could, in theory, slightly reduce average temperatures for the next few years, especially if it wakes up its partner volcano! But were are only talking fractions of degrees

Ummmmm if/when the big brother wakes up (Katla) we could see a very serious reduction in global temps over the next few years some sources say a five degree average drop like in the 1700's when the Thames froze over, that if I remember correctly was Katla eruption in 1722.
ski holidays
For those paying megabucks on a top end chalet in Verbier saving a bit on travel costs may not be important (you can always drop the heli transfer I suppose) wink However for mere mortals booking a flight as soon as they are released can mean getting it for £100 rather than £300 or so within a couple of weeks.

As rob@rar, says booking accommodation early gives more choice although there are unlikely to be discounts at peak weeks. I've got really nice studio apartments for 2 of us in great situations in Zermatt and Laax the last 2 half terms for around £200 a head. With transfer costs on top of that it makes for a very reasoinably priced trip.
latest report
livetoski wrote:
red run luke,
Quote:

The volcanic dust from Eyjafjallajoekull could, in theory, slightly reduce average temperatures for the next few years, especially if it wakes up its partner volcano! But were are only talking fractions of degrees

Ummmmm if/when the big brother wakes up (Katla) we could see a very serious reduction in global temps over the next few years some sources say a five degree average drop like in the 1700's when the Thames froze over, that if I remember correctly was Katla eruption in 1722.

Then i really hope she blows her top then, come on volcano!!!
snow conditions
Hey, it 'aint over yet - glaciers open or opening soon and Cairngorm set to ski into June Shocked Very Happy
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
livetoski wrote:
red run luke,
Quote:

Then i really hope she blows her top then, come on volcano!!!

After the last big Laki eruption (was it 1783 or something?) we had a very hot dry summer then a cold winter, I forget how the winter precipitation was affected, but I suppose if it was like the summer it would have been reduced - meaning less snow. Although I guess that it's also possible that the extra particles in the air would allow greater snowflake formation, so it could go the other way... Of course it could make getting to the mountains harder too!

It's amazing how much air polution can affect temperature though, I believe when all the US planes were grounded after 911, the lack of jet contrails (is that the word? the cloud stream left behind the plane?) resulted in around a centigrade temperature increase.
snow report
parlor wrote:
Rubbish. You don't really understand market forces do you.

No you're right, been doing this since 1984 but I'm getting there, slowly. Very Happy

I have already booked our hotels (well most of em anyway) up to 2016. Got em for a good rate as I have put down sizable deposits, which is something the larger companies just won't do and smaller companies can't do. Not going to go into the contractual details but the basics are if you book early you get better rates.
Oh and some of the hotels are not only not in our resort but aren't even in Italy ???. Watch this space.

From a client's point of view (especially at HT) if you book earlier then you'll not only have a larger choice of accommodation you'll also have a larger choice of price ranges.

I know and so does everyone else, the main HT dates for the next few year's. So, from a teacher's stand-point, there really is no reason not get in there, as soon as trips become available.

red run luke,
Prices will be increased as the amount of available logistic strands reduce. So as flights, accommodation, etc. are taken out of the system by bookings the remaining strands become more valuable and so the sale price increases.
Of course at some times (HT, Easter and New Year) the demand will always outstrip availability so not only will the headline price be higher but the strand deprecation will occur earlier and the sale cost will increase sooner.

So, again, book early to get the better rates. Simple rule.
snow report
We did our first half term trip this last February (for reasons I'll not bother you with) and found that it was no more expensive than any other high season time. Firstly, if you go to Austria or Italy, particularly self catering, the high season price, while more than low season is not exhorbitantly so. Also it is no more expensive for half term week than any other week in February/early March. Driving to the alps is also no more expensive, as long as you book a ferry a reasonable time in advance (3 months is plenty) - will be less than £100 return.

My observations are that for half term you get stung:

Flying, unless you book as soon as flights are available
Big Tour operators
Big French resorts

Avoid this lot and it seems OK.
snow report
Quote:

Rubbish. You don't really understand market forces do you.

Wayne, Don't you realise most people are more than happy to pay nearly double the prices you charge and also want to pay extra for flights, transfers, equipment hire and lift passes. Puzzled Very Happy

red run luke, For the poor minority who have to live in the real world it is still possible have a holiday at half term without breaking the bank, even to the big French resorts. You will find the better quality, better value accommodation is booked up very early, as a few snowHead s have mentioned BOOK EARLY for the best deals.
If you look hard enough some private owners are willing to be flexible on start dates and durations so you can book the cheaper flights outside of the peak weekend flights. If you are restricted to weekend flights (teachers who can't afford to spend the Summer in South America for instance) book as soon as the flights become available, alternatively book your channel crossing early and drive.
Look at some of the satellite resorts linked to the main ski areas, you can rent good quality self-catering accommodation for £150 per person even at February half term. We rented out a 3 bedroom apartment in a high quality complex with pool, sauna, gymnasuim etc. for just over £250 per person last half term.
snow conditions
Another top tip (that some will disagree with Toofy Grin ).
Go to Val D Isser but book through the tourist info office there.
I did a while back and it was brill (and cheap).
ski holidays
so will a snowdome help me????
working in northampton - its not far to milton keynes - theres an idea Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy