Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which Marker Bindings are best

Poster: A snowHead
We're buying new Scott Skis - Neo for my partner and the girlie version - Realm for me.

they have a list of Marker bindings we can choose from - from cheap to expensive - which bindings for us:

Neo (M) - din 6.5, 6ft tall, 12stone

Realm (F) - din 6, 5ft4in, 10stone

all mountain skiing - off piste, moguls, small jumps, off piste powder and carving - we ski averagely hard and have good to advanced ability.

here are the choices - or recommend something else please:

Scott NS10 Binding + £99
Marker M11 Free Binding + £80
Marker Griffon Binding + £130
Marker Barron Binding + £220
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I'd want the din level a bit higher, for your partner around 8ish? if your not wanting to ski tour then the griffons for your partner would be an excellent choice, if you want to keep costs a bit lower you personally could go for the scott bindings but I'm pretty sure their basically a copy of the salomon Z10, in which case it would be wise to avoid and choose the griffons instead.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only get the Barons if you want to ski tour, otherwise you go for the Griffons, they're nice and solid. At that weight and ability I'm surprised your partner is only DIN 6.5?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Consider the impact of ramp angle before making a purchase. Used with an alpine boot, the barons will be flat. The griffons are advertised as being flat but, as spyderjon demonstrated a while back, they actually have a lot of ramp. I'd make a choice based on what you know has worked for you in the past.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gorilla wrote:
Consider the impact of ramp angle before making a purchase. Used with an alpine boot, the barons will be flat. The griffons are advertised as being flat but, as spyderjon demonstrated a while back, they actually have a lot of ramp. I'd make a choice based on what you know has worked for you in the past.

This is possibly the best advice I've ever read on snowHead [insert sarcasm smilie]

I very much doubt Slidergilr has a clue about your post.

Slidergilr, they'll all work for you. The Scott binding is probably a re badged Salomon and would be very adequate for your needs, the M11 I would possibly not recommend but it does save you some money get it. The Griffon is all about looks, get it for looking cool. Baron is slack country touring binding, if you want to learn to skin, get them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
milnerhome,
Quote:
Personally I'd want the din level a bit higher, for your partner around 8ish?
Why? I weigh 13st, ski at high speed everywhere on and off piste and have never had my bindings higher than 7! Never had a problem with premature release ( at least not on skis ) Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
this has raised some more questions

firstly - do not want to ski tour, just usually looking for something interesting off piste, little bumpy jumps, moguls, don't mind steep, nearby back routes and tree skiing.

what is the difference between din 6.5 an 8?

I have seen Neos for sale with the Salomon Z12 Bindings - thoughts please?

what lightweight bindings are out there - I had a pair of Rossy BC girlies and they had a very lightweight two piece binding which felt lovely when clicked into, it felt like the ski was part of me, they're sold now so don't know what the binding was - so would Rossy bindings be suitable?

i've now seen marker jesters - any good?

my current scott maya have m12, but when I went into a shop in Tigne the guy said they were the wrong binding on the ski.... something about it being a park binding on an all mountain ski.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slidergirl wrote:

what is the difference between din 6.5 an 8?

BerBoom. I'm here all week!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slidergirl, Marker Jesters are Din Setting 6 to 16 Freeski binding like the Duke 16 but not touring, I do not think you need something to that level.

Also you can always go Schizo !! http://www.marker.net/ nice video on Marker site, however from what you have said the Griffon 12 should be fine.
I have skied Griffon's on Demo Movement Super Turbo (150x120x135) they are a pretty tough binding not cheap but very good, would recommended very strongly that if you go for the Griffon get them setup properly and check them carefull for the proper boot fit.

My son skied Scott S14's on Crusade this season and last, they broke every 3 weeks on average. I think that they are a re branded binding but not sure which brand.

Hope the above helps
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jester is good, but a bit heavier than Griffon. Jester has a higher DIN range, 6-16 vs 4 -12 for Griffon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

classic
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jesters use more metal in construction compared with griffons so therefore will be more durable, but griffons aren't exactly shoddy either.. far from it!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

what is the difference between din 6.5 and 8?

DIN tables can be found in lots of places, but there is a good one here http://www.dinsetting.com/index.htm . The settings relate to the force required to twist or lean out of the binding http://www.dinsetting.com/dinchart.htm . They do depend on boot length as well as skier weight and type (you sound like a level 3, or at least 2.5). Putting your OH's stats into the table does suggest a din setting of 8, but there is a personal element about skiing style and anything between 7 and 8 may suit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know guides are just guides, but am I missing something here?

where does the ski length and width come into the equation these days.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
livetoski wrote:
I know guides are just guides, but am I missing something here?

where does the ski length and width come into the equation these days.

No self respecting member of der DIN would be seen dead on anything other than a Volkl race ski! wink
ski holidays
This thread makes me laugh. The advice is for a chick and her man who skis at 6.5. I suspect their motivation for skiing is fur trim and long lunches. The last thing they need is heavy bindings. I'm a bad ass myself, a hardcore skiing mofo I need all metal clamps. And I'd still ski all of the bindings mentioned above, THESE are my everyday ride, DIN 15-30

snow report
Who cares if their motivation for skiing is fur trim and long lunches?! All she's after is some advice regarding kit, not trying to show how bad ass she is....
snow report
ROFL

'I suspect their motivation for skiing is fur trim and long lunches'

hahahaha, yer guys just cracked me up

yerv gotta be joking, we train endless hours in gym before going, we get up crack of dawn to be first in the queue on the lift, we eat a baguette on the side of piste to save time and scared we might not get the last lift back. then eating a well balanced dinner and bed early. that's us!!!

we're blummen serious about this lark yer kno, i'll take any yers lot on anytime.

luv yers
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'd forgotten dangling this worm.

The joke jez27, is at some of the replies regarding information that most skiers - even really good skiers - don't give two hoots about when selecting bindings. It's mindless internet geekdom. And funny.
ski holidays
parlor, DIN 15-30 huh? Respect where respect is due! But what exactly the f*ck do you need that for? You doing downhill racing or what?
snow conditions
Steilhang, I don't and wouldn't ski those bindings. Cool
snow report
parlor, I guess it's about time I learned to read!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy