Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer holiday- cycling from Saas Fee to Montreux with kids 1,5 & 8!!!

Poster: A snowHead
what...snow, that is indeed a lovely trip report. Would that have been too early for midges?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, I survived Edinburgh last weekend without so much as a nip from a midge, not so my own midges on Friday though Evil or Very Mad . I'll take my chances with the Scottish variety.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what...snow, that is fabulous. I sometimes wonder if there is any more beautiful place on earth than the west of Scotland. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I have camped at Lochailort (near Glenuig, between Mallaig and Ardnamurchan) in June and there were plenty of midges then. Probably didnt pick the best spot - too close to the bracken. Due to the wind there are fewer midges in the Western Isles IME. West-facing beaches are going to catch any wind. The beautiful sunsets are a bonus! The west highlands - from experience between Ullapool and Tighnabruaich but pretty much anywhere, can be bad June - September. Wind is good!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what...snow, hello,

you seem to know what you are talking about!

we are looking for a route for 2 adults- not massively fit but prepared to make an effort- physically and psychologically to have an exciting cycle trip with 3 young kids who will be- eldest aged 10 and able to carry own gear (weeks clothes and a sleeping bag if required) a 7 year old- who I hope will be on his own bike but probably not up to more than 25km in a day with moderate ascent and be happy (or 40km once and be miserable- but hey we all have to take it for the team now and again) and 3 year old in a trailer how might not tolerate much more than 3 hrs cycling per day (see above).

Can you suggest an itineray or guide book/blog etc that would see us do a 2 week tour in the Western Isles? We'd perfer to stay in BnBs / Youth Hostles (the SYHA hostles in the Western Isles seem to not take kids due to 'practicle reasons' (what the 'practical reasons' are I don't know- (I've edited my ponderings out)).

Also would the Spring / Whit half term be good/better for a weeks effort?

And is there a PLAN B (I like having a plan B even if I don't actually use it- even a little plan C, D, E, F and G make me feel much better in a just in casesy sort of way).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
what...snow, A super trip report. Thanks for posting. That is going on our must do list.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells, I don't think Edinburgh is really midge country. I lived in Scotland for some years, and we only ever seemed to encounter them on camping trips/picnics. Never in our Ayrshire garden, even when the weather was very wet - which was most of the time, IIRC. Damn great frogs the size of chickens, but no midges. A boat is the best thing - once you're offshore a bit, they don't bother you.

ed123, I once eavesdropped a conversation between two commuters on a train - one was telling the other that they'd just been on a cycling holiday and he'd towed a trailer for the dog.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That TR was posted by HighRustler from Winterhighland on this thread: http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,138729

I have cycled through the western Isles twice, when I was a child, so I can vouch for each leg being not too strenuous for a 10 year old. My memory of some aspects is somewhat hazy so you will have to forgive me. I have been sailing and driving to various parts since my cycling trips so I'm sure little has changed in the intervening years. I have also started cycling again pretty regularly and hope to do a trip when my children are a bit older.

The first trip was with my mum and uncle. My dad dropped us off at Oban and we got the ferry to Castlebay (Barra). He picked us up in Ullapool a week later when we got off the ferry from Stornoway.

Roughly this route: http://tinyurl.com/3krcuhx

For the second trip my Dad wanted to come to and he found that CalMac ran a ferry Mallaig - Castlebay - Lochboisdale for the summer. The plan was therefore this route: http://tinyurl.com/3mgs5le with a ferry direct from Mallaig (G) to Castlebay (A).

When we turned up in Mallaig it was a bit too quiet for a place with a large ferry imminently departing and sure enough, we were a week early, the boat only ran for a few very peak weeks! There may have been some marital discord at this point but we drove down to Oban and got the ferry from there. Luckily we got on that evening or the atmosphere might have been distinctly unpleasant! As penance for this cock-up my Dad had to get public transport from Mallaig - Oban at the end of the week, then drive the car back to pick us up, while mum & I had a leisurely lunch. I fear he may have been flung a ferry sarnie for the journey! That this part of the trip seemed remarkably short might be a memory trick, or it could be that the trains and buses are actually quite efficient.

The ferries actually used to only go in and out of the main ports: Castlebay (Barra) - Lochboisdale (South Uist), Lochmaddy (North Uist) - Tarbert (Harris). They now go between islands at nearly the shortest points (eg North Barra - Eriskay then causeway to South Uist, causeway from North Uist to Berneray - ferry to Leverburgh on Harris) and there are more causeways now (only the Uists and Benbecula were joined on the first trip). All this is probably far MORE convenient for the cyclist.

Enough reminiscing, on with some useful info.

First Oban. Main ferry terminus, quite attractive and probably still quiet enough to risk leaving your car here for a week or 2. Maybe there's a secure car park for ferry goers. As mentioned above you could finish driving somewhere with a connection to here and Mallaig, but with 2 weeks you could follow roughly HighRustler's itinerary (not complete as done from memory of the photos - I've missed Vatersay and Scalpay at least): http://tinyurl.com/3cojhao

which is very sensible as it involves very little time on (even slightly) busy roads and is completely circular. Will be back with more info later but got to go for now.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, I had a family holiday to Lewis and Harris as a child, from memory the rain kept down the midges.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, there were loads of the blighters in bfg's garden. Probably not as many as west coast though I admit. We've had tons here this summer too. Must be the damp humid weather we're having.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Re Midges. A west Coast phenomenon, not seen in cities so def none in Edinburgh.

Barra is the most southerly sizeable island. It is linked by causeway to Vatersay. The ferry lands at Castlebay which is the only village. The reason for the name is obvious when you get there. The Castlebay Hotel has reputedly the finest Irish Bar out side of Ireland. It is a Catholic Island and almost everyone has the surname McNeil! If you have to spend a Sunday in the Western Isles - you must be here where things still function-ish. Elsewhere, nothing moves. The beach at the northern end is the runway for commercial flights. I think this is unique. The only places to stay are Castlebay (Hotel or B&B), camping or The Isles of Barra Hotel which is on a beach on the west coast. There is a circular road round the island. Its about 13 miles and only mild-moderate ascents IIRC. Don't remember going to Vatersay but I do remember it has beautiful double crescent white sandy beaches in the middle. Looks like HR camped there. I got a boat from Castlebay to the southernmost (uninhabited) islands (Mingulay and Berneray). Looks like HR did the same since he's got photos of them. Don't know who organises it now but the TI will. The big Ferry from Oban goes on to Lochboisdale (South Uist), or you can now get a little ferry from the North to Eriskay (then causeway to South Uist). Think Eriskay is the smallest Island with a pub. The pub is v famous because of 'Whisky Galore' and the true story behind it. Hope it hasn't shut but I'm sure the internet will tell you. It also has a famous band.

South Uist is very, very flat. 1 road south-north. There is a hotel and B&Bs in Lochboisdale and the Polochar Inn on the SW corner. 20+ yrs ago this was probably the nicest hotel in the Western Isles and it could still be but you'd have to research this. Don't mistake the enormous causeway across Loch Bee for the one to get to Benbecula, or you might get slightly lost.

Benbecula had a military radar station, which I think got decommisioned. It still has an airport and was the most built up area outside Stornoway - 2 roads, caravan site, maybe even 2 hotels! Think we stayed at the Dark Isle or something like that - all a bit hazy TBH. Not the prettiest island and the shops etc are mostly on the wiggly B road rather than the shorter A road.

Eriskay to Benbecula is 28 miles - all flat but you may want to spend a night on South Uist to break up this journey.

Grimsay is merely a convenient island on the way to North Uist.

North Uist is nicer again. Baleshare is an island off the west that we stayed at - usual massive beach, also stayed in Lochmaddy (the main village) and (sailing) on Berneray which is now connected by causeway and has a ferry to Harris.

I remember it raining very hard here on 1 of the trips but not much else. However, my visit being 10 years later, I remember Berneray pretty well. It is famous for a TV program (1980s) - Selina Scott interviewing Prince Charles on his favourite Scottish Island. Blablablah. Might be on youtube now. Anyway, he stayed in a B&B there and walked up and down the beach (4miles long). Sure you would enjoy doing the same. Think there is a hostel run by the Gatliff trust on the east coast here (another on Scalpay possibly). IIRC one of HRs photos is of buildings like it so I suspect he stayed there. Google them to see if they allow children. The island had a week of dancing/drinking that we stumbled into and went to 2 ceilidhs. Not sure which week but definitely summer! All the B&Bs were full so I stayed with a nice lady and her cousin, joining for the week from Glasgow!

Harris, Lewis, Skye, Mainland (Moidart) and Mull coming later
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh, Oh, Oh, it all sounds wonderful and brings back happy memories - including wild camping near Morar when I was 12. It didn't even rain that much, and the sunsets were to die for.

And much later, when I was an adult, seeing a killer whale, when sailing just a little way off shore. And being up half the night, dragging and re-laying the anchor somewhere because there was so much kelp. Eigg, maybe. Also a week chartering from Troon, when we had gales from 3 points of the compass in just one week.

I really want to get up there again. Must sort out something.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what...snow, thanks sounds very exciting and great memory.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ed123, Loved the TR, well done Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Harris is actually hilly. Harris is the section of the big island south of Loch Resort and Loch Seaforth. There's a wee sign to tell you when you cross the border but a look around will do equally well. If it's hilly, it's Harris. The A road up the west coast is flatter and passes one of the worlds finest beaches - Luskentyre. Huge, white sand, torquoise water, deserted. The full monty really - if the sun is shining! May look slightly less pleasant in the teeth of a gale. The east coast road is known as the Golden Road, because it cost so much to build. Winds tortuously round many, many, many inlets

Leverburgh was going to be Britain's biggest fishing port, then Lord Lever died and it went back to being a tiny fishing port. I think Rodel has an interesting church. Tarbert is the main hub but it's still a tiny village. The ferry to Uig (Skye) leaves from here but you should try and go further north to see some incredible sights.
latest report
what...snow, I can assure you that there were midges in Edinburgh, I squashed them myself.
snow report
A couple of other things about the Western Isles: Castlebay appears in Tintin and the Black Island; you can do a wee boat trip to Kisimul Castle which is smaller in real life than in Herge's imagination; if you plan to camp, some community halls and ferry terminals have water and toilets; Harris seems to have been a recent recipient of a shipload of tarmac, judging by the new road surfaces at the moment (Skye was a bone jarring contrast); there are places in Oban which will store a car for you - I think they may be taxi firms, but have no contact details.

We were in a motorhome this summer, so can't comment on other types of accommodation, but enjoyed it enormously - certainly recommend it for children, and adults, who don't need constant noise and 'entertaining'.

You could see if there are sufficient independant hostels to keep the costs down without resorting to camping.
snow report
Coincidentally, I spent the weekend at my parents so I managed to dig out some of the photos and ask them a few questions.

Confirmed that I was 10 on the first trip and didn't struggle. I was somewhat older on my second trip - hence my reasonable memory of the pubs en route! Ed123, you'll need to think about how far the 3 and 7 year olds can manage but your european trips sound harder! I'll try to give you some distances from now on as there are route choices to make and you can decide how far to travel rather than being limited by the availability of accommodation.

On Harris we stayed in a B&B on the Golden Road. Couldn't find anywhere on the west coast so You may have to look harder - the Golden Road up the East coast is tiring - lots of up & down.

North Harris has a couple of road options, first Scalpay (via Causeway) and secondly the long road to Huishnish. This second skirts the bottom of Clisham (the highest mountain in the Hebrides) so expect some up and down before a fine beach at the end. I haven't been to Scalpay.

Into Lewis there are a few straggly roadside villages. We stayed in Ballallan which was handy for the next stage of the trip. Just past here is a little back road, cutting off a big stretch of the road via Stornoway for getting to the West coast. It reaches the A858 at Achmore. You will want to head this way for Callanish standing stones - one of the greatest ancient monuments in the UK. It's probably the biggest must-see of the whole trip. Dun Carloway broch is only 7 miles further north, then another 8 miles to the Black House museum at Arnol. Dun Carloway is a fairly impressive ruin - the brochs were fortified ancient towers and to see a better one, you need to go to Shetland!

Skye
The only place I remember feeling uncomfortable with the traffic was on the A87. Seemed so much busier than what I was used to. HR has used the A855 instead. I've been up to Trotternish recently & think this is an excellent route as it takes you past incredible scenery - the Quiraing and the Old man of Storr - both spectacular rock formations. Don't consider the minor road between Uig and Staffin as a short cut - it rises to 250m and the descent to Staffin is one of the steepest sections of road in the UK! Duntulm is the last spot for sunset, Flodigary has a Hostel & expensive hotel. From there it is 20 miles to Portree. The tracks to the Quiraing are maybe not suitable for your children, they are very steep but even from the road it looks spectacular.

The Old Man is also a bit above the road but more accessible.

From Portree, a decent sized town, there is no choice but the A87 to Sconser for the ferry to Raasay. But it's only 12 miles to the ferry and not far on the other side. We stayed here at the only hotel on my second visit and i was a great island for cycling round. Nice view from the top of the hill. And a nice bar.

Sconser to Armadale for the next ferry is nearly 30 miles so it might be too much for one day. Only the first half is on the A87 and you pass through Broadford at about half way so accommodation shouldn't be a problem.

On the Mainland at Mallaig is a possible end point. Dad remembered the ferry debacle and also thought the buses to Oban wasn't too bad. The A830 wouldn't be that bad though - there is a back road out of Mallaig, then a short section on the main road, then the whole section from Morar to Arisaig can be done on a quiet back road beside the sea (and the famous silver sand beaches).

Arisaig to the head of Lochailort is 9 miles, then you're back on a very quiet road down Lochailort. But just to Kilchoan for the ferry to Mull is 40 miles - so 2-3 days cycling. Tobermory looks like Balamory, which I'm sure you're familiar with. There was a policeman walking along the street the last time I was there. Yes, he was being followed by a film crew and some screaming children. The fish and chip van has a 'Les Routiers' entry and the fish is excellent. The Mishnish was the pub but seems to have gone downhill in recent years. It's only 20 miles of quiet road to the Oban ferry from Craignure, If you don't go and visit Duart Castle.

So, working backwards, that's 1 day to Tobermory, plus 3 to Mallaig, next night around Broadford, then Portree, then Flodigary/Staffin, somewhere on Harris, 1-2 nights on Lewis, Another night on Harris, night on North Uist, 2 heading south to Eriskay, 1 on Barra = equals 15 nights without visiting Raasay. So you need more holiday or a bit of filleting to fit it in a fortnight - suppose the easiest idea is just to stop at Mallaig and get public transport from there.

Any questions just ask.
Smile
ski holidays
PART III

the story so far...

Part I Summer 2010 flew to Geneva then after 1 week with Espirt in Sass Fee cycled down the Rhone from Brig to Montreux with 3 boys then aged 1, 5 and 8- stayed in B&Bs Youth Hostles etc- hired bikes- went fine

Part II Summer 2011 flew to Geneva then train to Dissentis- cycled down the Rhine to the Bodensee then across to Zurich- also in B&Bs and youth hostles etc- also fine except the then 6 yr old had horrednous D&V 1 day.

Summer 2012 was rainy

Part III Summer 2013.....the last bit of the trilogy

Idea- finish off a trip round Switzerland- Lausanne to Zurich- this time get to Switzerland by train, take own bikes, camp.

Plan- Cycle to Lime St- tarin to Euston, cycle to St Pancras, Eurostar to Paris. Couple of nights in Paris, cycle to Gare du Lyon- train to Laussane, cycle to Zurich- camping on the away, train Zurich to Paris, overnight Paris then back to Blighty in time for a late evening supper if not tea.

What done? All train tickets with bike spaces booked and sorted, hotel in Paris with a 5 bedded room (and kitchen and washing machine) sorted youth hostel in Baden booked (no camp site I can find). Ultra-light weight 5 person tent arrived today (very light weight- titanium pegs and kevlar guy ropes - it is the dogs dangly bits of ultra-light family sized tents).

To do - make ultra-light ground sheet protector out of some Tyvex, sort out our mountain bikes with pannier racks, get 24" wheeled bike for 8 yr old- see how far he can go with a 5kg tent strapped to it!
ski holidays
ed123, fantastico! Make sure you give us a blow by blow account. Sounds terrific. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Quote:

ed123, fantastico! Make sure you give us a blow by blow account. Sounds terrific

+1
snow report
ed123, nice one Cool Will be ready for the TR in due course Smile
latest report
Hello

back from Switzerland. Made it- all went to plan.

Brief report.

Personel- me , mrs ed, 3 kids 11, 8 and 4. 4 year old in trailer. Rest on bikes. Adults with 1 trailer each. Me and 2 older kids 2 panniers each.

Liverpool-London- Cycled to Lime st about 30mins. Arrived v early- staff very helpful- bikes and trailers on train with no problems at all.

London- down to St Pancras- to Euro dispatch- bikes on. 1 trolley found, trailers and the rest on it

London-Paris GDN- no problem. Got bikes on platform- cycled to hotel Marignan off Blvd St Germain (it was good value but v hot) got a bit lost and accidentally ended up along the Seine- lots of stairs- arghh- but not the end of the world.

2 nights Paris- Bastille Day- wached parade etc.

Paris-Lausanne- Cycled to Gare du Lyon- got a little lost but only by 1 street- arrived in v good time and on to the TGV without any hassle- train manager v helpful.

Lausanne- Zurich- camped Lausanne, Cossonay, Yvredon, Curdefin, Beidelsee, Solothurn, Argau, Biberstein with 2 sets of 2 nights. Hostle Baden- Zurich the back to Paris. Didn't book any campsites- all good some better, arranged 'wild camping' if that isn't an oxymoron but won't say where as I'd not like to abuse the hospitality. Speaking of hospitality made friends with a family at one campisite only to literally bump into the mum in her home town some days later, 2 mins from their house- just before lunchtime- cool drinks, a chat and lunch followed. Excellent- there are lots of really nice Swiss people.

Zurich- paris- no problem- arrived plenty of time- no hassle on TGV again train manager v helpful.

Paris - arrived Gare du Lyon late- after 9pm. Cycled to Hotel back the way we came- lights and high vis no problems at all except I'd not remembered that the Blvd St Germain is one way so we went down that on the pavement- the official route would have been to cycle on the road following the Seine but that was v busy..

Paris London- cycled to GDN- very straightforward- but I think some one threw a bottle out of a window at us- really- no harm done and we got to the GDN with ages to spare- coffee nearby and supermarket- found bike drop off.

Paris Euro Star check in was however awful. Greif about the trailer from a supervisor- although under 85cm by a long way- and about the buggy which was 1) a buggy and 2) almost exactly 85cm. Train delayed. Lounge full of the most miserable collection of people I have seen. Noone was smiling. Got the only trolley in the station (from one of the slightly embarrassed and helpful staff) and got all gear on the train which by the way fitted the luggage racks perfectly (they are 85cm deep).

London- bikes safely at Euro dispatch- cycled to Euston- went to Friends House first- the Quaker centre right opposite Euston- safe, hassle free and the best and cheapest coffee you will find in London I suspect- but the cafe was closed. Wife annoyed at the 2-3hrs wait for the booked train to Liverpool- I got tickets and bike spaces for one going 30mins after we got to Euston- Virgin staff at Euston very helpful. all bikes on and trailers with seconds to spare.

Liverpool- Home arrived back in daylight- knackered. Cycled home through the rougher parts of Toxteth. Didn't see another adult on a bike- which was very odd having been surrounded by cycling for 2 weeks.

No punctures or other problems really although a playground injury.

I'd do it again- we are thinking about other trips- St Moritz- Vienna or Paris-London, or teh Loire.

Conclusions

1. It is perfectly possible (but not easy) to get a family of 5 with 4 bikes and 2 trailers from Liverpool to Switzerland via London and Paris.

2. Changing stations in Paris is straightforward- they have great cycle routes- which are pretty safe (no deaths of cyclists last year), well marked and go to useful places. Cycle- don't use the Metro- that is madness. Look out very carefully for the cycle routes and do not cycle along the banks of the Seine.

3. Getting on and off trains is best if- you board and alight at terminus stations, you find the train manager and be nice to him / her- find out where the bike spaces are in advance and have some lightweight bags to put loose stuff in. Bungy cords are good too for keeping bikes upright in trains and other stuff.

4. I'd book both trailers as luggage again- to avoid grief but also to avoid having to manhandle them. I think we got grief in Paris because we didn't have a trolley to start with and so arrived with a fully assembled trailer and buggy (and because the supervisor was a miserable, unpleasant and undoubtedly childless person- whether she was miserable and unpleasant because she was childless or visa versa or perhaps it was some self reinforcing vicious circle - I don't know, but she was awful and the other staff were apologetic).

5. We arrived at all the stations with 2-3 hrs to spare- that was because I'd allowed for- delayed connections, getting lost, accidents, punctures, luggage hassle & lavatorial emergencies involving children. I really don't know if I'd change the transfer times much.

6. As an alternative to trailers I think we we use a tagalong next year- this is more of a hassle to set up and tak down- but gets smaller and is lighter. Also will avoid a luggage trailer as I think the kids and I could carry all the gear with 4 front panniers (basically for cooking gear and food) and the tent and mats on the rear racks. Or we could take the collapsable adult child tandem that should be arriving tomorrow- it is the dogs dangly bits of adult child tandems (second hand) and is basically fantastic...

7. I have always found GND to be a horrible place, the building is very nice on the outside-but in every other expect it is a nasty, dirty, seedy hole. I would never leave a bike there overnight or lose sight of a bag for a second.

Some pictures

the off- cycling down Admiral Street in Toxteth- this is really quite a rough neighbourhood but has a spectacular view, for all the roughness all we ever get is smiles and waves when we cycle down it...

Boulevard St Germain Paris- cycling in the bus lane - if you look carefully you can see the strip of paving that separates the bus lane from the rest of the road- very handy. Yes those are pirate flags.

First days cycling near Gollion up the hill it was realllly hot

How did this happen?- in a playground! Lots of blood I'm afraid- steristrips cam ein handy- he had a nasty black eye and did really well that day- back on his bike after lunch for a fairly gruelling hill in heat (see above)

The youngest one did a few Km of scooting most days but is was a pain when he wanted to do it in towns as that meant lots of in and outs of trailers when safe / not safe- but he's part of the family and needs his fair share so there you are.....

It rained quite a few times- but luckily only after the tent was up, before breakfast and for about 90s after we decided to put waterproofs on. Actually it was sheltering under a bridge thinking about putting waterproofs on when we met the mum of the nice family we met camping previously and got an invite to lunch-....the tent didn't leak and I'd not bothered to seam seal it (foolishly)

Caught this quite easily- should have killed and eaten it (it is a Red Signal Crayfish which is an invasive American import- but only one and it was the first thing I'd caught with my 4 year old and didn't want to freak him out)

There was this really big hill on the official route- so it was obviously a better idea just to take the footpath along the river, OK the path got a bit sketchy, getting up and down those steps was a pain, down the steep bit at the end, yes, it was a bit tricky, Oh and then you had to go up this really big hill. It was quite hot, yes. For some inexplicable reason my wife got really tetchy.

GDN bored, waiting to board. No one in sight was happy- mind you we had the ONLY TROLLEY

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 27-10-13 22:02; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
What a great adventure. The children will remember that holiday for the rest of their lives.
snowHead
snow conditions
ed123, Brilliant! Again! Really enjoyed reading it, thanks for posting. Re. The tagalong for next year, look at the Trail-gator, we had one, bit more versatile as the child can be unclipped and be free to ride alone when it's safe to do so Smile

Out of interest what bikes were your boys on?
snow report
ed123, Great report - thanks for sharing.
ski holidays
Brilliant! Very Happy
ski holidays
ed123, very enjoyable reading about the adventures. Thanks for sharing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ed123, Looks great. I did a bit of biking in the Loire Valley a couple of weeks ago (Saumur area, towards Tours) if you want any info.
snow conditions
ed123, I look forward to reading this thread each summer now - long may you and your family continue to have such fun holidays. Very Happy
ski holidays
snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
NeddySkiGoon, sarah, cad99uk, Iski, kat.ryb, Claude B, Samerberg Sue, pam w,

Thanks for the kind words. We had a whale of a time but I have to say that I now have an odd mix of both ennui and lassitude (which are quite different types of sigh).

sarah, bikes? 11 year old on an Islabike Beinn 26 which is pricey but good. Racks, mudguards, enough gears. 8 near 9 year old on a Decathlon Original 1 which is essentially v similar to an Islabike but for about a third as much. We wanted a Decathlon 'night and day' kids bike which is fully loaded (6 gears, stand, mudguards, hub dynamo, pannier rack) all for the princely sum of £139. But they didn't have any in stock so I got the other and put a stand, mirror and rack on it.

We took our ld mountain bikes but I changed the tyres to Schwalbe touring tyres and put a rack on mine.

As for next year.....we had such a great time that we have been thinking about this already

Bikes well, we already have an adult child tandem, but it isn't trainable, we are next in line for. A friends tag along, But I took delivery this morning of the ultimate secondhand adult child tandem. It has Rholoff gears ( which are the dogs dangly bits of gears - the sort you put on a bike to go round the world) and S&S couplings (which means that the front bit unscrews and so it is trainable but super strong). Very luckily found it on eBay from a very nice man. Just finished sorting it out.

Routes for next year. Not sure: Paris -London, Loire, St Moritz - Vienna. I quite like the last one which would be a multitrip adventure as it is a really long way, but it is a bit of a pain to get to St Moritz as it would be 5 trains (Liverpool-London. London-Paris. Paris-Zurich Zurich-Chur. Chur-St Moritz). I think. Tis might make my head hurt. But it would get us to an interesting bit of Europe. And the cakes would be fab........
ski holidays
ed123, if you do end up doing St Moritz to Vienna, I can offer you a free couple of nights in proper beds as you enter the Große Deutsche Ecke (aka the Bavarian corner) if you want. Just let me know the dates and I'll make sure I am around! I assume part of your route will be following the Inn - Danube cycle paths?
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, a kind offer , thanks you. Will certainly think of this when deciding...

ed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy