Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss town 2nd to get fully solar powered lift

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski lift powered entirely by photovoltaic panels
A small town in Switzerland, Tenna, is building the world's second ski lift to be fully powered by solar power. The lift’s solar panels, which will be capable of generating 90,000KWh, will be attached to the lift itself. The opening of the solar lift is planned for December 2010....See: http://www.ecofriend.org/entry/swiss-town-to-get-a-solar-powered-ski-lift
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of course you have to go to the original article to make any sense of the numbers.

http://www.skilift-tenna.ch/katalog_detail.php?auswahl=13&idp=6

The panels are capable of generating approximately 90,000kWh - in a year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis, yes the usual confusion between peak output (kW) and energy (kWh).

Who's going to go up there to brush the snow off the panels? The little photo shows them almost horizontal. Which is incorrect anyway - they should be angled at approximately the same angle as the latitude of the installation for optimum efficiency.

Quote:
The panels are adjustable and can be removed to clear accumulated snow.
How the hell does that work Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

And like most renewable stuff, it may not overall be as quite as "green" as it seems. Got to have battery back-up and maybe a standby generator too. Can't have folks stranded on the lift when a cloud comes over. And PV anyway is a very very expensive way to make electricity. The Swiss are better off with their hydro.

This solar-powered ski-lift smacks of gimmickry to me? What do you think?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dubaian,
Quote:

How the hell does that work

If you watch the video clip in the first clip you will see exactly how it works, but just in case you don't want to watch it.... Each panel can be rotated on its own motorised axis, in addition the spreader bars on the top of the towers that hold the suspension cables can also be rotated.... Very clever stuff Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Won't be any good for the touchlight desent !!!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, thanks for the heads up. I'd missed the video link. Yes it's clever - maybe too clever ? Let's see if the idea takes off.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dubaian, It will be intresting to see how well the mechanism copes with repeated freeze thaw conditions one gets in teh mountains
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, exactly.
And in my defence the text said they
Quote:
can be removed
which is not the same as actually just moving under a fancy system of wires and pulleys as per the video.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Didn't see any pullys involved, I think each unit probably has some sort of positionally accurate motor to get accurate allignment
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, my pulleys were poetic licence wink Just felt the whole thing was a bit Heath Robinson and he loved strings and pulleys Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dubaian, didn't he just Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A ridiculous waste of money in a country full of hydro opportunities.

Like many 'green' schemes I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye. Likely that the panels will generate electricity that is sold to the grid all summer and then the lift company will purchase power during the cloudy days of winter when daylight hours are short... when the lifts are actually used.

Somehow, they will claim that the lift is now 'green'.

If they used power from existing sources and used the cost difference between that and this PV scheme to plant trees, that would have been much better for the planet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy