Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Zermatt and Chamonix - May the Pow Be With You

Poster: A snowHead
The 09/10 season so far:

Wales - Between a Rock and a Soft Place
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59222

Upper Bavaria, Germany
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62376

Another family funeral, another trip over from the States for my brother Matt, and another chance to play as Matt looked after my Dad for the long weekend.

I'd been following the snow reports coming in from France, Switzerland and Norway, and with around 1.5m of fresh falling the previous 7 days plumped for Zermatt and Chamonix.

DAY 1: FRIDAY 15 MAY 2010

Flew from Cardiff to Geneva via Amsterdam with KLM on Friday afternoon under clear, sunny skies.

COST:
280.00 UK pounds r/t
327.00 euro r/t
404.00 US$ r/t

Got to Geneva at 21.45 and took a leisurely stroll to the train platform in Geneva airport for the journey to Montreux.

COST:
20.00 UK pounds o/w
23.00 euro o/w
28.00 US$ o/w

I was staying with Kath Lyon who I'd worked and lived with in Niseko, Japan back in 07/08. She's a teacher in an international school just out of Montreux.

Got to her lakeside apartment around midnight and after a bite to eat and a few drinks, we decided on Zermatt for Saturday and Chamonix for Sunday.

DAY 2: SATURDAY 16 MAY 2010

Early start to make the train to Zermatt. Got some looks as we walked in ski gear to the station.

COST:
80.00 UK pounds r/t
94.00 euro r/t
116.00 US$ r/t

Kath sorting through her gear on the platform.

The train ride was smooth and the valleys Swiss green

Got to the base of the cable car just before 10am to be told that only the t-bar and the 6-man chair were open and visibility was negligible.

The lady in the Tourist Info Centre quoted us 54 CHF for the lift ticket, but at the window we were charged 83 CHF for 4 hrs of operation.

I can understand 83 CHF for a day pass during peak season when everything is open but charging full whack when such limited terrain is open for just half a day is taking the wee wee at the very highest level.

COST:
51.00 UK pounds 4-hr lift ticket
59.00 euro 4-hr lift ticket
73.00 US$ 4-hr lift ticket

The snow underfoot was great with soft pistes and boot top pow just the other side of the piste markers.

I rented a pair of 170cm Atomic Race Ti skis (126-70-110). Fantastic skis.

COST:
20.00 UK pounds
23.00 euro
28.00 US$

It was great to be skiing again - despite having next to no visibility - and I'm glad that we went to Zermatt. But I'll never return based on being fleeced this time.

I skied Engelberg in May 06 and had much more skiing for less cost, so will go there if the opportunity for May turns arises in the future.

View of Zermatt on the way down. Best visibility of the day

Yours truly in the cable car

Kath in the cable car

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sorry to hear you got bummed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Pow, but surely the best is still to come....

Ps I live in Montreux too
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool pics, dude. Especially the Bavaria ones.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH
Working through the Chamonix pics now.

Maybe next time.

boardiac and Whitegold
Thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DAY 3: SUNDAY 17 MAY 2010

Set off from Montreux at 7.30 am, Chamonix bound. Great drive over and got in to town at 9.

Picked up a pair of skis, Salomon Lord in a 177cm. The guy in the store was trying to get me to take at least a 185cm and almost had apoplexy when I asked for a ski similar to what I had in Zermatt the day before - an overshaped slalom ski in a 170cm.

COST: 22.00 UK pounds
26.00 euro
32.00 US$

Met Kristy, an Australian friend of Kath's who's been living in Chamonix for a couple of years, at the base of the Aguille du Midi cable car, and with a little bit of brazen queue jumping past a group of Indian and Japanese tourists we were at the top by 10am.

COST: 30.00 UK pounds
36.00 euro
44.00 US$

It was socked in when we first arrived, so we decamped to the cafe which was full of skiers and boarders waiting for a break in the weather.

Anticipating some blue we made our way down to the start of the arete and clicked in.

Kath and Kristy at the Aguille du Midi station

Kristy had suggested the Couloir des Cosmiques and we were more than happy to follow her down the arete and around. By all accounts being able to ski the arete was far better than walking it. The snow was soft, light and stable. The visibility great as we set off and it didn't take us long to get over to the entrance to the couloir.

A couple of groups had got in before us and one was in the crux rappeling down as we got our stuff together.

Kath and Kristy at the entrance to the Couloir des Cosmiques

Looking down into the couloir and the group ahead

We edged our way in one by one and we were all happy sideslipping, jump turning and skiing the upper section without the need to rope up. In comparison with pictures of the couloir I've seen the conditions were excellent. Very little rock showing through. I'd anticipated more exposure at the top, but the depth and quality of snow made it a very comfortable negotiation.

Kath edging her way through the rocks

Yours truly waiting on the group below

The rocks safely negotiated, Kath was ready to ski

By the time I'd put my camera away, the mist and fog had descended and the couloir was socked in. This was the theme for the descent. Wait around for the mist and fog to lift, ski a section, wait, and repeat.

Kath in the mist

Kristy finding untracked

Kath hitting sunshine

Kristy off exploring

Kristy got rocked out, but sent it, landed it and skied out smiling

Kath getting in on the action

From whence we came

There's a great pic of the Couloir des Cosmiques in its entirety in this link

http://www.summitpost.org/route/186837/couloir-des-cosmiques.html

The turns were great, with up to knee deep and face shots where it hadn't been tracked. The weather held for the traverse back to the Aguille du Midi mid-station. The track put in was excellent.

We'd traversed from right to left in this picture and there's an avalanche above and to the right of Kath

Kath and Kristy at the mid-station cafe

Kath doing her best King Kong with the Midi cable car

Took the cable car down, packed up the car and drove in to town for lunch in the sunshine.

Kath and I at the end of a fantastic day in Chamonix

Drove back to Kath's and enjoyed several gin & tonics on the balcony.

The view of Lake Geneva and the surrounding mountains from Kath's apartment in Montreux

Many thanks to Kristy and Kath. Chamonix delivered. If you're nearby, get the weapons of choice out and enjoy the fantastic conditions in Chamonix.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 19-05-10 23:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holy ####! what a turnaround from the Zermatt experience. and great pics - what camera were you using?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks.

Canon 7D
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow, bee-yoo-tiful. Wish I could ski well enough to undertake such adventures. Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow, nice! What fantastic conditions in Cosmiques!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow, excellent photos as always thanks. Really need to go and board the Cosmiques, very jealous.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Mike Pow, love it, especially, "The guy in the store ... almost had apoplexy when I asked for ... an overshaped slalom ski in a 170cm." Laughing Laughing Laughing

Swirly, me too (with an extra board) and the Grand Envers, Rectiligne, etc. etc. (never been to Chamonix Embarassed ).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow, Wow! Looks superb. Not bad for 16th May...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks something to aspire to (in my dreams) Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Awesome stuff what an epic weekend. Just goes to show that some of the best stuff is still skiable in Cham in May and June when everyone else had packed up.
snow conditions
Mike Pow, fantastic TR, thanks for sharing.
ski holidays
Mike Pow & BobinCH, seriously, how 'easy' is it to ski the arete (if the snow is anything like reasonable)? If I can ski the Grand Enver and be well within my comfort zone then should I find the arete a 'comfortable' ski?
If i'm going to extend my season into late May/June then is skiing the arete the best/only option or do you still get groups, carrying skis, walking it in crampons and roped together (but without the fixed safety)?
snow report
midgetbiker, first time I've skied it was on Sunday and it was straightforward in the soft snow. A couple of our group Walked down with crampons but it took them ages and I'm sure it was easier on skis. Would probably be more intimidating if it was icy but I'd still ski it over walking.
ski holidays
brian wrote:
Mike Pow, love it, especially, "The guy in the store ... almost had apoplexy when I asked for ... an overshaped slalom ski in a 170cm." Laughing Laughing Laughing

And I wasn't taking the wee wee. The Salomon Lord's were good but I'd much rather have been on the Atomics from the previous day.

Then it would have been mid-thigh deep Smile
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
midgetbiker, first time I've skied it was on Sunday and it was straightforward in the soft snow. A couple of our group Walked down with crampons but it took them ages and I'm sure it was easier on skis. Would probably be more intimidating if it was icy but I'd still ski it over walking.

Agree 100%
snow report
very nice pics! I think another trip to Cham is on the cards...
ski holidays
BobinCH & Mike Pow, thanks for the responses.
Got to say I'm far more comfortable in my skis than out of them. When I did the Pas de Chevre in March the snow cover was getting thin approaching the glacier level, we had to rope up and climb down a small section of rock band in order to access the exit couloir. The second I took my skis off I was ****ting myself, but the second they were back on I was a happy bunny again, and totally comfortable on the couloir itself (skis took a little punishment though).
snow report
Brill - looks like so much snow at the top compared to many shots i have seen of it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy