Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuff you need to go on a ski holiday ?

Poster: A snowHead
OK then, I have been writting away for ages.
Have I missed off anything that you need for a ski trip ?

I must have Puzzled
Can you let me know if you think anything should be added or ain't really needed.
It is written with the novice skier in mind so there are no skins, transevers, probes, etc

http://www.ukoutdoorpursuits.org/pages/folgarida_other_articles_equipment.html

Cheers

PS. It's not been spell checked yet.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne, what about a flask/water bottle, beginners often forget the importance of hydration at altitude, even if they are only a few thousand meters up, dehydration is pretty grim.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Painkillers, deep heat and Immodium! Every holiday some/ all people will require uppers/ downers/ blockers from my magical medical chest
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nadenoodlee, I agree, whenever I go on holiday I take a small medical kit.

Also lipsalve.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always take my meds and a small first aid kit.

But in fairness there's a fair few things on your list I don't take.

Plus you've put sandals/flip-flops, I'd have thought snow boots would be more appropriate to a winter holiday.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always take my slippers to wear around the apartment or chalet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent, thanks for that.
I didn't think them. Slippers for the hotel and a small medical kit have been added.
Didn't add water bottle as there are cafes all over the place (it's Italy)
and water bottles are available in the super market and on slope shops.

Anything else ?

Oh
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Painkillers, deep heat and Immodium! Every holiday some/ all people will require uppers/ downers/ blockers from my magical medical chest

Sorry can't add that. Just asked Mrs Wayne (lawyer bird) and she said it's a no no.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a pair of frogskins with suitably "In your face" lenses
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne, i find it handy to remind myself to put one or two power socket adaptors in as well. if you're taking a charger for a phone, camera and whatever else, you will probably need them all at the same time in the evening.

i also put in contact lens solution, lenses and/or spectacles. you'll be amazed the number of times i've nearly forgotten those, even though it shouldn't need to go on a list. hth
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne wrote:

Nadenoodlee wrote:

Sorry can't add that. Just asked Mrs Wayne (lawyer bird) and she said it's a no no.

That's lawyers for you, take out any bit of practical value because someone might sue wink

Tall tees
Doo rags

obviously
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was perplexed by this bit:

Quote:
I really did over-hear a salesman in a branch of a well known national chain in the UK, informing someone that the Din settings printed on the side of the poles were not really important and that is was something to do with the printing of the design. Hmmmm – enough said.

What's that all about?

I also thought the bit about putting sandals on over your ski socks when you leave your ski boots in the ski room was a bit odd. I don't think I've even seen anybody do that, and I'm not sure that sandals and ski socks are a Good Look. Though it's a better look than ski socks with flip-flops. wink

Actually, I think Crocs are the most practical for all indoor purposes - slippers are fine, but not if there's any wet floors about, which there often are.

You might not be able to specify what medication people should bring, but I think it would be a good thing to remind people to bring all the prescription or OTC medicines they might need (and that the latter are likely to be more expensive in resort than in their local supermarket).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And have you run this one past the legal boffins and/or snowheads peanut gallery:

Quote:
A helmet will vastly reduce head trauma and brain injury if you hit something (or something or someone hits you).

A doctor friend of mine who works in a major casualty department, and so is used to all the scrapes, bumps and bends that happen to people when they bang into something, told me that he could fix most things that go wrong with the human body but once your head is dented (his words) you have a big problem that probably can't be sorted. Anyone skiing without a helmet is just asking for trouble.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Ski Socks
You “will” need a good supply of ski socks (most experienced skiers pack enough for 1 pair per day)

really?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sherlock235 wrote:
power socket adaptors.

Good one - it'l be on this list in the morning

pam w wrote:
You might not be able to specify what medication people should bring, but I think it would be a good thing to remind people to bring all the prescription or OTC medicines they might need (and that the latter are likely to be more expensive in resort than in their local supermarket).

Yep, I like that. I will ask Mrs W how to word it (yes I know it's sad but will just say Pandora Toofy Grin and you'll know why I need to ask wink )

holidayloverxx wrote:
really?

Yeah, if you're only doing a week or so. I have a washing machine in my house in resort. Or may just have smelly socks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't possess 7 pairs of ski socks. I possess 3, when I can find them all, which isn't always. I often wear them for two days, but in any case it's easy enough to wash a pair. I take them off and leave them on the window sill outside my bedroom window for a few hours. Airs them lovely!
latest report
Marino wool sock are naturally odor resistant 3 pairs are enough.
snow report
holidayloverxx, first time I owned enough pairs of socks to have a clean pair each day for a week was last season. Seven pairs will last a month with a good rotation policy.
snow conditions
I have 3 pairs; they don't smell after 1 days wear.

Swirly, Laughing
snow report
I'd suggest that people travel in their heavy "apres ski" boots and that the only other essential footwear they need is something light for inside the chalet - whether trainers, slippers, Crocs or similar. I find trainers very slippery and cold in snow.

You might also tell them (unless your place is better appointed than most places I've stayed in on ski holidays) to use a squishable back to pack stuff in, not a big rigid suitcase which can be hard to stow in the average bedroom.

A bag of fun size Mars Bars is not a bad idea. And do you encourage people to bring duty free booze?
snow conditions
Hairdryer, if not already supplied?
ski holidays
Wallet, Mojo, everything else is a bonus
snow conditions
Duck tape

repairs almost anything especially torn ski wear. If you do not want to take a whole roll then wrap some around the top of your ski poles, or make a small roll to pop in your pocket.
snow conditions
Quote:

wrap some around the top of your ski poles

but remember not to cover up that all-important DIN number. wink
ski holidays
pam w, Laughing
As well as black duck tape (for running repairs) I also keep some yellow duck tape wrapped round the tops of my poles - it helps to differentiate them from the million others that look just like them.
latest report
Wayne, I think this'll help http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11830 Toofy Grin
snow report
Duck Tape ? What on earth are you all on about with Duck Tape.

Our clients are going on holiday. Duck Tape, whatever next.

I have this vision of a family of snowHead's DIY’ers shivering as they squat under the eaves of a slope side cafe. Mr DIY is trying to find the end of the Duck Tape roll to repair, again, his boots (they did my dad, your grandfather, proud and one day they'll be yours son). Mrs DIY is handing round the curled edged sandwiches , which she made last week, before they started their hitch hike to the ferry terminal. Junior DIY’er are trying to keep their hands warm by adding, yet another, pair of socks to the rapidly expanding lumps on each hand, as they look wistfully at the other kids going into the cafe. They have been telling all the other kids that dad’s not mad, he just thrifty. But we know the truth... he's a snowHead

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Reciepts for pre-booked stuff? Gear hire, ski school, lift pass etc?
snow report
*shrugs

Personally I don't take tape unless I'm touring, but does anyone need a checklist to remind them to bring underwear Laughing

Why would you need a travel kettle? I like to take a small jar of Marmite Smile (edit - not to make tea with, obvously! The perils of grammar....)

If there's a sauna or hot tub, swimming things.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 14-05-10 11:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, spot on. Wallet, passport, phone and a clue. The rest will sort itself out.
ski holidays
Quote:
does anyone need a checklist to remind them to bring underwear

I forgot once Embarassed Not cheap to buy in Tignes either.
latest report
heheh I stand corrected! NehNeh
snow conditions
2 pairs of gloves makes a big difference, especially for beginners who will have their hands in the snow a lot. Being able to put on a dry pair half way through the day makes a big difference.
I used to take thermals but over 30 years I have never worn them so don't any longer.
snow report
Tiger Balm for sore muscles.

Pair of non-ski gloves to wear out at night when your ski gloves are drying.

Not trying to pick nits - but my ski boots are a LOT heavier than my ski jacket!
snow report
Passport, Credit Card, Cojones.

Wayne, I'd rather take a roll of duct tape than 3 unnecessary pairs of ski socks.
ski holidays
Wayne, You may mock but went you've saved a mate a long walk down the mountain with a bust snowboard binding by taping him to his board and resurrected various bits of kit mid week you'll see the value. Duct tape, whistle etc beats any advice on popout lenses for sunglasses or obscure incomprehensible anecdotes about DIN settings of ski poles in my book.

Plus you're advising helmets but then encouraging your beginners into gaperdom by not forbidding sunglasses wink
snow report
I once had to use a couple of powder traces, long lost in the bottom of my back pack, to strap up a pair of ancient (ex car boot sale!!) ski boots for a friend. The only time I've used them in anger; they worked a treat. The boots - bought by her super-tight husband - had just started falling apart. I persuaded her to hire some the next day.
ski holidays
WayneTex! WTF is WayneTex?

Anyway, I'd rather see some stout hiking boots than trainers for clomping round town in the evening. And a duvet jacket is nice and cosy for those sub-zero staggers back from the bar.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd rather see some stout hiking boots than trainers for clomping round town in the evening.

Agreed. I think WayneTex is a joke. wink
latest report
Quote:

Anyway, I'd rather see some stout hiking boots than trainers for clomping round town in the evening.

Easier to dance on a bar in trainers.
latest report
handy pack tissues, your nose will run at some point or, as was in my case, quite handy to stem the blood flow rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy