Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Queenstown 2010 Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
alexchapman, I have been testing the snow just to ensure that it will be all good for you and pleased to report that there is much fun to be had Very Happy
In the last photo by hang11, there is a small group of buildings amoungst some trees near the bottom right. I lived in the house there for six years way back in the 1980's. The second to last shot is taken from a couple of hundred metres from that house and is the view I would wake up to (without snow guns). You can see why I moved back to Queenstown.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a nice place to live. This is the pre winter view from my bedroom window. It's better than looking at Mrs Hang11 first thing in the morning Very Happy

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was up on Coronet Peak last Thursday and had a good day with nice weather and good snow conditions. Excellent on the groomed trails and a nice naturally packed surface elsewhere. Did not make it onto the snow over the weekend as we had rain and warm conditions. It turned colder last night with a little bit of snow and the snowmaking back into action. The Remarkables opened on Saturday with great coverage but the weather was not the best. The offical snow report says they had 8cm last night on top of their 65 to 85cm base. Forcast is for colder with a bit more snow tomorrow afternoon. then cold and sunny for the rest of the week. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A nice little snow fall overnight here in Queenstown. 15cm reported on the mountains and still snowing. WIth a couple of cms in town the roads were their usual mess with idiot local drivers all over the place. No one has winter tyres and no one wants to stop and put on chains so I saw one crash and had a very close call with a bus that slid back down the road at me. I couldn't even back up because of the car behind not giving me any room. Don't you love winter.
The Queenstown winter festival starts on Friday night so that is the start of the busy time with NZ and Australia school holidays starting at the end of the festival week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice bit of snow, nightmare drive into work.

I spent 20 minutes stuck behind a moron in a camper van that didn't have any chains and blocked the road, then also had a bus slide back down a hill towards me, managed to drive around it as it kept sliding past me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hang11, You should post a photo of todays view from your window. It would be a great contrast to the pre winter shot.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any snow news from Whakapapa?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whakapapa is probably blue ice and looking like it's about to erupt. Very Happy

And I think one of their lifts collapsed last week.

Anyway, here's the view from my house, about 9am today, good amount of snow yesterday, very cold overnight although most of the snow at town level melted yesterday. Mrs Hang11 has headed up to Coronet today, I've had to go to work, because Winterfest starts tomorrow, and that means I've got lots of work to do Sad

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyph, Whakapapa is reporting 35cm snow base on the upper mountain so it is not looking very good. There is snow forcast over the next few days up there but hard to tell if there will be much in it. They have a new tower already made to replace the one that collapsed so it will be running soon.
Coronet Peak had 30cm over the last 36 hours so Mrs Hang11 should be having a great day with clear blue sky and bright sunshine. I hate working in the winter Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We now have Cardrona opening today and Treblecone opened yeasterday so the season is properly underway. Both are claiming a snow base of 50cm plus and looking on their webcams Cardrona appears to have the better coverage. The Snow Park is opening toworrrow and the cross country area at the Snow Farm is open with good coverage. Winter festival starts this evening with the opening party, fireworks etc kicking off at 6.00pm. Lots of happy people in town, tills ringing, snow on the mountains and all is well. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tills ringing.....all is well, my life just got a lot easier Very Happy

A colleague got the opening of Porters today, sounded epic. I treated myself to a new climbing harness, have attached a nutcracker, and I'm off to Mackenzie for a few days of uncrowded slopes the week after next.

Snow's looking fantastic. Winterfest has kicked off, plenty of people in town, great weather, it's all good.

Will probably head up to the Remarkables in the morning, once I've figured out where I left the car tonight.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sarge McSarge and hang11, when's the realistic end of the season, either in S or N Island? My boss is mucking me about on my planned trip down under in August and it might get pushed out to late September. Still worth packing the ski boots?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andyph, The end for Queenstown is usually the end of the first week in October. Mt Hutt near Christchurch often stsys open till late October and the same for the central North Island. Tell your boss your trip must be mid September (make up some compelling financial reason)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
N Island season can go on later than S Island. Both are are pretty dependent on weather as you get towards the end of September, it can be anywhere between epic and cr4p.

S Island is a lot prettier and the people are much nicer though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers guys. Very Happy
ski holidays
Anybody hear of the current snow conditions? Its looking like 3 weeks without snow in Southern Lakes!
snow report
BoardStiffRed, You are right. No new snow down her for three weeks. Just lots of sun and cool temperatures. It has been very busy with both NZ and Australian school holidays bringing lots of people to the area. Snow at Coronet Peak is holding up well due to snow making. Cardrona also has good coverage but Treble Cone is in need of quite a bit more. Thr Remakables is OK but all could do with a good top up. Ther could be a few snow showers tonight but not any great amount. Possibly more snow early next week but we will have to wait and see.
snow report
And it has been snowing this afternoon and looks to be more snow tonight..........yippeeee!!!
ski holidays
Unfortunatly yeasterdays showers did not come to much so no change in the snow conditions. The forecast is still for snow on Monday/Tuesday so fingers crossed.
alexchapman, So you have made it here? If so you need to post some of your thoughts and photos. Smile
latest report
Sarge McSarge, She's been posting on FB! No photos yet - we want photos!!! Laughing Laughing
snow report
I've been in the Mackenzie for a couple of weeks. Mainly at Ohau, avoiding the Queenstown school holiday madness. Reasonably good cover, but could do with some new snow, only because the off piste, which is great there, is a bit icy and bony.

Caught a couple of huge trout out of the hydro canal too Very Happy 10lb and 12lb, both on a fly. Real big ugly bugs, but not a great fight because they just sit by the salmon farm and get fat on the food for the salmon, so they don't have the grunt of a decent south island wild trout, but an interesting morning all the same.

Here's some pics....

Lake Pukaki

Looking towards Mt Cook

Lake Ohau

I also bought a helmet camera a few weeks ago, got some great footage, mainly from bolting it to a ski pole.
snow report
I am here!!! and having a great time.........working lots at the moment as it is school hols (or has been!) I'll try and get some photos on here in due course!!! Great place though, I keep taking photos of the amazing view from Coronet over the lake......it is out of this world!
ski holidays
alexchapman, One of the few places in the world I'd like to visit (no travel bug), so I want to vicariously as I don't suppose I'll ever get there. Very Happy
snow report
alexchapman Don't work so much. Get out and enjoy yourself Toofy Grin

Well another sunny day with no new snow. That makes three and a half weeks now but at least at Coronet Peak the snow making is keeping the surface in good condition.

easiski A few photos for you. These we taken at Coronet Peak this morning. Nothing special just enough to keep you in the mood.

snow conditions
Sarge McSarge, thank you. it's nice to see your winter snow when our summer snow is melting away to the glacier. Very Happy
snow report
Well after four weeks of no new snow we have had a couple of small falls in the last week. Both dropped about 10cms on the local mountains which has refreshed the surface but not exactly epic powder. Even Treble Cone is looking ok now after a thin start to the season. I might get you some photos tomorrow if you are good.
snow conditions
Sarge McSarge, Very Happy Glad to hear it's snowed for you. Very Happy
snow report
OMG I've just had 4 sticky buns for dinner from that new bakery in Arrowtown.

The best ever, but having a bit of a sugar rush now Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like the snow drought is about to break, a bit on the way for Queenstown, but 70cm or so forecast for the Canterbury fields over the next few days.

The big air comp is on at Hawea this weekend, as part of the World Heli Challenge, so heading over there to watch that on Saturday Evening.

Here's a little movie i made at Ohau a couple of weeks ago with my new helmet camera

http://youtube.com/v/Mvc9FUoTBqc
ski holidays
Its going to snow....so they say!!! I've been enjoying my days off on Franz Joseph Glacier, Milford and Doubtful sound..........fantastic!!!
ski holidays
They're some of the most stunning parts of the South Island. Did you do the overnight cruise at Doubtful? There's a great place to stay at the Power Station over at Manapouri, cheap as, and some nice walks you can do over there, with really good fishing and hunting nearby.

After this storm, if you get a chance, try to get up to Mt Dobson or one of the club fields in Canterbury - they'll be epic next week, and I think there's another huge storm on the way early next week, which looks a lot like the one in 2006 that unloaded a massive amount of white goodness up there. And nearly got me fired for not turning up to work for the next two weeks Very Happy

I've just sneakily found an excuse to be working in Christchurch for a couple of days next week. Rope Tow accessed powder heaven awaits Very Happy
latest report
hang11, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
There's some great pictures here from the world heli challenge this week....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/3998043/Spectacular-action-in-World-Heli-Challenge/
snow conditions
Well just come down from Coronet Peak and there is 10 to 15 cms of new snow and it is still falling. Only problem was that I could not see a thing. Usual havoc on the road with idiots getting stuck every where and some stopping in the middle of the road to put on their chains. It should be nice conditions in the morning. I shall try to get some photos. Of the skiing I mean not the idiots on the road. Toofy Grin
It is even snowing a little at home now so must be nice and cold up on the mountains.
ski holidays
It's been settling on the ground in Arrowtown since about 4pm. The walk home from the pub was quite challenging.

I'll probably head up to the Remarkables tomorrow.
ski holidays
hang11, If you went to the Remarkables you made a good choice. Total havoc at Coronet Peak this morning with Greengates chair not opening until about 11.00am due to wind. 30cms plus of new snow but it was very wind affected so choosing your line was very important. Still I had some nice turns. No photos as it was still very grey when I left but here is one from last week.

snow conditions
Sorry to hear that.

yeh I went up to Remarks, figured that the chain restriction would keep a good deal of the tourist crowds away, which it did, got straight on every lift without a queue.

It was cold, windy and a bit murky, but with clear patches. Snow was a bit wind affected in places, but it was damn good.

I took my powder board out of the bag for the first time this season, and got some great lines down through Shadow Basin. Took my 10 year old daughter up there, and gave her some lessons on how to snowboard in powder. She's sold on it Very Happy The kids get every Friday off school to snowboard or ski for the next couple of months, and it's amazing the difference it's made to how well she rides at that age - keeping up with an old fart like me is no problem for her.

But what is it with people in camper vans and rental cars not putting chains on? There were heaps of them off the road up there.
latest report
Well I had my token day at the Remarkables today. Wonderful weather clear sky, no wind and not to many people. The snow was not as good as I had expected. Quite wind blown and as usual up there still plenty of rocks to avoid. The best terrain and snow is stuff you have to hike to get at and with evidence of a few avalanches I was not feeling very adventurous. Still Alta chute was fun and better than the piste. Lots of brave (or stupid) people getting out and about and one guy went for a ride down the left edge of the Toilet Bowl. He wasn't buried but was very lucky as the debris piled up into a big patch of rocks and he could have been battered about.

A few shots for you

Top of Sugar Bowl lift with some avalanche evidence.

Lake Alta and Double Cone.

Alta lift and part of beginner area from the carpark.

snow conditions
Sweet pix.
snow report
.... ahh happy memories of teaching at Remarks and CP from 2005 - 2008 inclusive - enjoy it boys and girls - love seeing the photos!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy