Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski wax iron. Household or proper job

Poster: A snowHead
Wanting to wax my own ski's. Should i go for household iron with NON steam or should i go for the proper job for ski's??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use an old steam iron which had actually been binned, it works fine. A travel iron I tried wasn't man enough for the job though. I used a proper waxing iron at spyderjon's and they are better, but at a price.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to use a travel iron but found that they keep going hot and cold... not very precise on the temp control. Buying a proper iron for about £45 has saved me a huge amount of time over the years.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Always used an old standard-size iron. No need to go for the serious temperature-controlled ski-specific irons unless you're racing seriously.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have a household iron, then that is fine - but just keep it moving to avoid anything getting too hot. If you are at all serious, then use an iron specifically for ski wax: they are much more accurate on temperature.

For many years I used a household iron with good results. But the ski-specific iron I now use does make the job much easier.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
chect2000, Is it worth burning the base of your skis for the sake of £45.00 Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glen Charman, Cool wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok thanks for the info.

Any recomendations for a SKI iron??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If a normal iron was good enough for ski waxing for this guy to get into the British team, it's good enough for me Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use an old steam iron too and have done for years. Not burnt the base of my board yet either.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No problems with an old travel iron, but I do keep it moving and am conscious of overheating.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
there are not many non-steam irons these days - even travel irons often have a steam facility. We use an old steam iron (without steam, obviously). No problems. The holes get wax in, but who cares? You do need to be careful with the temperature - but you get the feel for when it's too cool (wax reluctant to melt) or too hot (hot smell.....). I don't think we've burnt any skis - certainly not conscious of any problems. We do ours on the cheap, but if we were going to spend more money I'd go for the proper vices over an iron; we use a Heath Robinson home made contraption which fits in a Black and Decker workmate, with strategic bungees.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Edge & Wax have a Wintersteiger Waxing Iron 230 V for £40.00
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Other than the Wintersteiger iron are there any others that anybody can recommend?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chect2000, I sell the Kunzmann range of irons which are superb however we've/they've completely sold out of their least expensive 2200 model (£46) until the autumn. Kunzmann make irons for a number of other brands including Wintersteiger & Holmenkol. The Kunzmann 2200 iron is the same as the Wintersteiger you're referring to but it also comes with a metal stand.
latest report
chect2000, I too used both a travel iron and a non steam iron for years. Last season I bought a Holmenkol Smart Waxer iron from Edge and Wax and found it was a lot easier to use - quick to get to a more controlled temperature and it maintained it's temperature so made waxing very easy. I rewax after every outing (in Scotland that's as much to provide a little more protection as it is to make the skis slide more smoothly !) and I've found it well worth the £45 or so.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
chect2000, I sell the Kunzmann range of irons which are superb however we've/they've completely sold out of their least expensive 2200 model (£46) until the autumn. Kunzmann make irons for a number of other brands including Wintersteiger & Holmenkol. The Kunzmann 2200 iron is the same as the Wintersteiger you're referring to but it also comes with a metal stand.

Jon i think i will wait till the autumn until you have them stock.
ski holidays
I used to use an old pre-hole household iron(s) for years, to be honest they did the job. They melted wax (slowly) they applied it to the base (slowly) they melted it up the length of the ski (slowly).

Then I swopped to a 'proper' ski iron, it does the same job quicker and easier, I wouldn't go back......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy