Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes, Spring & Summer 2010

Poster: A snowHead
easiski, it's looking great, hope you are feeling better. Like thefatcontroller I too am feeling Going green with envy! Hope Butterfly has arrived ready and raring to go and all the best to Mr B snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi all,

New member here. Myself and a friend are looking to head out mid-July to board for a week but we're having trouble finding accommodation for 2 people that's reasonably priced. Can anyone point me in the direction of any?

Cheers,

Simon
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Now I'm sure there are other options. But for location and price you can't really fault the Hotel Les Lutins. It's right beside the Jandri Express in L2A and provides basic but well kept B&B facilities. It's about €70 a night for two sharing.

I'm sure the many other happy snowheads who have stayed there can elaborate farther.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks good. Can't find a site to book through though? Any ideas?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski wrote:
Whitegold, Oy! I'm nice to you and you call me a dude? Twisted Evil

Lol.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah, yes, and she's been skiing today too!

poly.kid, welcome to snowheads. They don't have a website at Les Lutins, you have to phone Cathy the owner. The number is on the page for the hotel on the tourist office website (www.les2alpes.com). Alternatively you could rent an apartment for the week. If you want some more help PM me, or look at www.easi-apartments.com for a few good'uns. Also you can eat every night at the restaurant Il Caminetto for around €15 for 3 courses, fixed menu + 1 drink. If you fancy that, use my name. Very Happy I don't think the Lutins is that expensive actually, but I'm not 100% sure. they open at the beginning of July. Also hotel Serre Palas is similar, cheap and cheerful B & B.

great day today, my blog has no less than 3 videos today (+stills). Very Happy 2 of them are skiing, so you can enjoy it vicariously. www.easiski.com/blog1
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, Lutins has got a site now http://www.les-lutins.com/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looks very nice out there. Nice here too though; watching the huge buttery full moon come up over the water in the cool of the evening.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Very Happy

Colin B, thanks -jolly site Very Happy

going up in a sec with Butterfly and tele gear
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
He says he's not into football, but having failed to find the England/Germany match on the apartment TV, Mr B decided The Red Frog bar needed a visit. Hey it has free wifi so I am not complaining.

Had a great morning on the glacier - superb snow. Have got a nice bit of video of easiski on the teles. Looking forward to tomorrow - it's Mr B's big day!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As Butterfly, says, we had a nice day on the glacier with the exception of skiing down with DavidAsh and my student of the last few days. The run down was totally revolting snow today, not helped by me being on teles. I didn't actually fall, but I did have some serious wobbles when hitting patches of sticky snow! rolling eyes

for all Butterfly, fans here's a pic of her off piste on the Echines today, very good! The telemarking vid and another few pix + longer report are on www.easiski.com/blog1 . I think I'm improving on the teles, and am quite chuffed with the vid - thanks H.

It seems, however, that no-one except me can work my new video - bah! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How is Mr B doing?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
little tiger, It's his lesson today! Just finishing brekkie and then picking them up ... no pressure!! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr B did well. The only problem was he took himself for a walk down to Venosc while I was skiing yesterday, so his legs were rather more than a touch sore before he started rolling eyes

Thanks easiski!

Also thanks for the vids of me Madeye-Smiley. By the way - it wasn't that I couldn't work your camcorder, just that its screen looked totally black so I had no idea if it was working or not and if it was, I'd have had no idea what I was filming! At least the bit on my little camera worked ok.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Butterfly, Fantastic Very Happy Did he enjoy it? Has he got another lesson?
snow report
sarah, I'm afraid to say that I don't think he'll take it up, but he's now discovered that he can comfortably stand up on his skis, that sliding is really quite nice, and that it doesn't hurt his back! Very Happy Winter and lower altitudes would be necessary for him to continue I think - the poor boy suffered from the lack of oxygen. Sad
ski holidays
A rather cloudier day today with a fair bit of cloud around. Unfortunately the second night that was rather warm, so the snow softened early. However that was fine for Mr Butterfly's lesson (see above) and I then got a couple of runs on my own later as well. A video of riding the Puy Salié T bar (very apposite considering the drag lift thread on The Piste gives you the chance to ride the lift and also to see the very different standard of skiing on show in the summer compared to winter. It's truly inspiring when there are so many good skiers around to help you with your view of how it should be done! Very Happy As per normal www.easiski.com/blog1 Very Happy
snow report
Loving the blog and pics!

Thanx Easiski!!
snow conditions
easiski, Up at 5am this morning, 3 hours in M4, all day pointless meeting and home at 8.30pm. I hate you. NehNeh Laughing
ski holidays
went up yesterday for the first time this summer...was a great morning. Skied down to the mid station twice and it was like a private ski area with no one else skiing down as most up there are racers and wouldn't want to risk their skis (although hardly a pebble about). Snow a bit sticky by lunchtime, but very hot when down in resort. A thunderstorm with massive hailstones followed at teatime!! Bit weird getting on at the mid station as mountain bikers are getting off!
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, So then you watch the videos and pretend you're here! Very Happy

It's clear and sunny this morning, but I shall be firm with myself. I have lots of other things I need to do .... Confused
snow report
easiski wrote:
sarah, I'm afraid to say that I don't think he'll take it up, but he's now discovered that he can comfortably stand up on his skis, that sliding is really quite nice, and that it doesn't hurt his back! Very Happy Winter and lower altitudes would be necessary for him to continue I think - the poor boy suffered from the lack of oxygen. Sad

Shame Sad Sad
snow conditions
Charlotte, maybe a dumb question, but are you essentially skiing on snow left over from the winter season, and the reason you can still ski down to mid station is that it hasn't all melted, whereas in other years it would have melted by now? Is that due to a deep winter or mild spring/summer?

Is then the summer season a case of skiing what you can before it retreats up the mountain?

Not trying to be negative, just trying to understand!

Regards,

Greg
snow report
kitenski, I think there has been some fresh snow since the glacier closed at the beginning of May, and it took a while for the weather to warm up this year, so I suspect it is a bit of both. I've only ever skied on the glacier slopes above the restaurant in the summer in the past though.
snow conditions
kitenski, when we did a week in L2A last June we spent the first day skiing on freshly fallen snow - very nice indeed.
ski holidays
kitenski, As Hells Bells, says it's a bit of both. The big advantage this year was very heavy snowfall all winter and then lots more in spring, so we opened with 1.10m more snow on the glacier than last year. In addition to that there was a lot of snow below the glacier and they are still pisting the Jandri run down to 2,600m which is officially open still. I'm going to ski it with Butterfly tomorrow, and I intend to ski the walls of the top of Gours also (not with her). This is more because it's possible and it will be 1st July! The snow there is disappearing fast and already some of the tracks made when I was videoed by DavidAsh have given way to stones. Of course the glacier acts as a giant deep freeze to keep the snow, and a good re-freeze every night helps keep everything in order.

Summer skiing is very different from winter skiing in that the snow is like spring snow with bells on. Bigger crystals and more variation. You can only ski for half the day anyway, and although the glacier area here is huge, it's still relatively limited. Summer skiing should be a holiday with a bit of skiing attached as opposed to a skiing holiday. Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
kitenski wrote:
Is then the summer season a case of skiing what you can before it retreats up the mountain?

Definitely. Get there in June and you'll pretty much definitely have down to Signal at 2800m, possibly the Jandri mid station at 2600m. We've been twice in early July and both times by the time we left it was down to the "normal" summer area which is all above 3200m.
snow report
Quote:

a holiday with a bit of skiing attached

not too sure about that! If you get up in time to get the first lift up at 0700, ski for three hours or so at that altitude, have a picnic lunch in the sun while the crowds disappear down the lift and then get back to hot afternoon sun in the village, a quiet beer with your feet up isn't such a bad way to spend the afternoon. We had lots of good intentions about all the activities in the afternoon but we didn't exactly do many of them! Lift down to Venosc - then a hunt for the first bar with a cool beer was about as energetic as it got. But then we were all OAPs. Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Yes - but you were on a training camp last year (and getting twice the original planned hours of training!) My point is, that if people come summer skiing thinking about it the same way that they think about a winter skiing holiday they leave disappointed. We want them to come, but we want them to understand that it's not the same and can't be.

You are also a different case because you have a 'local's' view of skiing anyway!

brian, The earliest I can remember losing Signal was 10th July. I can remember skiing it after the first week of August pre-2003. Even last year (which wasn't good) it was possible to ski down to 2,600m for the first few days with only a couple of skis off moments. It wasn't worth it though. 2008 and 2010 OTOH ..... To say nothing of Echines. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Look at the number of lines available there!
latest report
easiski, yes, you're right of course, our week was hardly representative! Most people are probably not quite so knackered in the afternoons. I really enjoyed feeling knackered, anyway - a good feeling to relax after such a strenuous morning.
ski holidays
It's a fab way to have a summer hol with added zing & something to please almost anybody. Yesterday mid-morning I was able to make fresh tracks en route from the Glacier Resto down under the Jandri Express to the Funicular station - couldn't believe nobody'd skied that bit!

There are lots of things to do in the afternoons - lifts stay open for bikers/pedestrians, there's swimming, archery, pony trekking, the summer luge track, the Croisiere Blanche (a piste basher converted to take a passenger cabin up to the top of the glacier) and more. The alpine flowers are a wonderful sight esp with a backdrop of the sound of cowbells. Yesterday we drove just over the Italian border & visited Claviere and then Briancon. Today we took a drive over to Alpe d'Huez as Mr B hadn't been there, but had seen it on TV often enough during the Tour de France.
snow report
Hear that everyone "Yesterday mid-morning I was able to make fresh tracks " Butterfly is making her own tracks on her own (I was with Mr B at the time). Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Butterfly, snowHead snowHead
snow report
easiski wrote:
Hear that everyone "Yesterday mid-morning I was able to make fresh tracks " Butterfly is making her own tracks on her own (I was with Mr B at the time). Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Times like that we could do with a Facebook style 'like' button.
snow conditions
Aww - you've got me all embarrassed! Embarassed

Had "fun" today. I skied down to the Jandri Express mid-station with Easiski. The good thing was the narrow steepish bit at the top of the Jandri (which I really didn't like at all last time I went down it) was fine - can't say it was my best ever skiing, but it was controlled and I didn't need to stop. However further down the snow was not so nice - I had a really close look at it just to make sure at one point Laughing - best leave the rest of the description to Easiski!
snow report
Well, I'm really prouod of Butterfly, who is really getting some ankle and knee movement into her skiing, with the attendant increase of control. Extension/flexion is quite a step forward and she's now skiing with much more panache, rhythm and flow. Very Happy WELL DONE H

A hot day again with a spectacular shower in the early evening and a fair few rumbles of thunder around. More heat is forecast for the next couple of days. Very Happy
there's a full report with a good few pix (but no embarassing ones of Butterfly, ) on my blog, (www.easiski.com/blog1 )including my off piste descent to 2,600m at the end of the day. Included is a short video panorama of the route I was about to ski, before I skied it. This is a pic Butterfly, took out of the Jandri Express which shows a little of the scale of the thing.

I don't think I'll be doing the off piste again (too much walking and climbing), and I rather doubt if I'll ski to the middle except with a student from now on. However it's fantastic to be able to do all this on 1st July.
latest report
Butterfly, well done Happy
latest report
Butterfly, really pleased to hear you are having such a great week snowHead
snow conditions
Butterfly,

Glad to hear that things are going so well snowHead
snow conditions
Fab day today, with some awesome stuff to watch in the snopark. My skiing finished on a high, coming down the side of the Dome. Thanks so much easiski for all the encouragement.

Tomorrow we drive up to Epernay for a few days under canvas - no idea what internet we will find if any.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy