Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Becoming A Ski Instructor

Poster: A snowHead
Well then they won't get a lot of dutch teachers in Andorra... I'm sure the Dutch children (if any) visiting Andorra will appreciate that Smile

The Austrian way is the de-facto standard teachers training in the Netherlands. We simply do not HAVE anything near ISIA from a full on dutch school for all I know (Despite the Netherlands being an ISIA member)
WSSV are the Vienna group (Wiener ski- und snowboard lehrer verband) so i'm not sure where to get an ISIA stamp that would allow any Dutch to work in Andorra Wink

Besides Andorra is a bit too small to base any choices on, now is it, wether you're Dutch, Britisch or Guatamalan Wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 1-06-10 6:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm suprised Andorra can be so picky and still get enough instructors, wouldn't have though it would be many people's first choice country to work in... Any ideas why they have that rule, seems pretty irrelevant to actually teaching..?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like a pretty racist rule to me, saying you have to have "your country's" cert. What if you were British but living / working in the US for example? Or an Italian who's done BASI?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The provision of Instructor training, certification and subsequent professional liability insurance is very much a commercial activity. I'd say it's up to the customer where they purchase it from.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1 wrote:
Sounds like a pretty racist rule to me,

Why, as soon as you mention anything to do with someone's country of origin is it referred to a racist. It's a good way of killing a discussion but not very constructive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So an Italian BASI qualified L3 is not permitted to work there, but a British BASI L3 is? Sounds pretty discriminatory to me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1 wrote:
So an Italian BASI qualified L3 is not permitted to work there, but a British BASI L3 is? Sounds pretty discriminatory to me.

What Puzzled

Of course they can.

I was just suggesting that if anyone wants to become a ski teacher they would be better doing the cert from their own country. I know it'll never happen, it was just a question. I have done BASI course with lots of people from other countries, most of them were doing it as BASI is modular and some other country's certs arn't. Just seems a good idea to me - Toofy Grin - but not to loads of my Italian mates who are in BASI.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wayne wrote:
It’s been done in Andorra so there is at least a precedent. You used to able to teach there by holding some form of cert plus a cert from the Andorrans. Not any more. There you now need to hold at least the equivalent of the L3 (ISIA) from your country’s governing body. That is the governing body of the country that issued your passport. Dead simple rule.

I see a few problems with that rule:

Are there enough Andorran Instructors to cater for their own business?

It will kill the businesses of people like Non-Stop who are running CSIA courses based in Andorra.

It means that for instance someone born in a country that has no ski association, that has no choice but to get qualified in a different one to the one on their passport and therefore cannot teach.

The ISIA standard from one association should be comparable to another, if it isn't, it's the ISIA's fault, not the person's nationality.

I'm sure that the French would love that rule though. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne, I'm confused now! You said

Quote:

You used to able to teach there by holding some form of cert plus a cert from the Andorrans. Not any more. There you now need to hold at least the equivalent of the L3 (ISIA) from your country’s governing body. That is the governing body of the country that issued your passport. Dead simple rule.

So is that a rule in Andorra, or are you just expressing the opinion that you think it's better to get the qualification from your home country? Two totally different things, I was suggesting that if that is the rule in Andorra it is discriminatory as I can't think how it could be justified. I wasn't calling your opinion that getting a qual from your home country is racist. Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman wrote:

It will kill the businesses of people like Non-Stop who are running CSIA courses based in Andorra.

NonStop are based in Canada and NZ.

The Instructor Academy are based in Andorra.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

NonStop are based in Canada and NZ.

The Instructor Academy are based in Andorra.

That's why I said like wink You got the gist though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1 wrote:
So is that a rule in Andorra, or are you just expressing the opinion that you think it's better to get the qualification from your home country? Two totally different things, I was suggesting that if that is the rule in Andorra it is discriminatory as I can't think how it could be justified. I wasn't calling your opinion that getting a qual from your home country is racist. Smile

Yep, as far as I know it is. I was in a lift with a girl who has lived and worked there for years with her husband and she said that a few years ago this rule came in. She did have a BASI L2 and she had to go and get the L3.
I don't think it applies to trainers running courses, as there were other courses as well as our BASI thing running at the same time from other ski associations
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne wrote:
she said that a few years ago this rule came in. She did have a BASI L2 and she had to go and get the L3.
Was that L2 the highest level primary qual she had? If so, your example is evidence purely that the rule change required a minimum of ISIA - and nothing about any requirement as to which body issued that qual. In her case the qual and passport issuer were the same nationality, but is not evidence that it was a requirement.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Might be missing the point here but yes its expensive and yes it takes time and yes you have to train hard to become a ski instructor but you will end up having an amazing lifestyle and very satisfying job........................I wouldn't turn the clock back, nearly every day I think how lucky I am to be a ski instructor and what a great job it is!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry Wayne, I'm confused. Originally you said you had to be ISIA in the body of the nation that issued you're passport:

Quote:

There you now need to hold at least the equivalent of the L3 (ISIA) from your country’s governing body. That is the governing body of the country that issued your passport. Dead simple rule.

Are you now saying that you just have to be ISIA, and the body doesn't matter?

Wayne wrote:
beanie1 wrote:

What Puzzled

Of course they can.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Sorry Wayne, I'm confused. Originally you said you had to be ISIA in the body of the nation that issued you're passport:

Quote:

There you now need to hold at least the equivalent of the L3 (ISIA) from your country’s governing body. That is the governing body of the country that issued your passport. Dead simple rule.

Are you now saying that you just have to be ISIA, and the body doesn't matter?

Wayne wrote:
beanie1 wrote:

What Puzzled

Of course they can.

Hand on, Hang on. this is getting silly Toofy Grin
I said that to work in Andora you need as far as I know, an ISIA from the country on your passport.
Thats it.

All I said to start was was I though it was a good idea that people should get a cert from their own country. Not a racist statement, nor is it lilely that it will happen. Just my idea.
ski holidays
Quote:

I said that to work in Andora you need as far as I know, an ISIA from the country on your passport.
Thats it.

Not accusing you of being racist or anything, so no worries there lol.

But if that statement is true, then Andorra would not employ an Italian with BASI 3 ISIA, or a Brit with Austrain Landeslehrer (2), which seems pretty Be Nice please! stupid!! I also don't quite understand why you (and Andorra) think that it's a good thing?
snow report
Hi all

I live in Andorra and over the last 5 years you do not need L3 to work here (L2 is fine either BASI or CSIA) nor do you need your ISIA cert to match your passport

If this was true we would not have any CSIA instructors here as most L3 CSIA are from UK, and also CSIA L3 do not hold a ISIA certification.

All we have to do, is get an equivalence licence from EFPEM (andorra federation), so holders of BASI, CSIA and many other European licences are then given a level on the EFPEM system; you can then work in Andorra (non EU), subject then to passing other immigration requirements (some requirements do change, if you are not an EU resident.

Hope this clears things up, but I will check at EFPEM if anything has changed

Marcus Upton
ski holidays
Marcus Upton,
Well then, looks like I am wrong then. Thanks for putting me right.
That'll teach me to listen to anyone in a lift Madeye-Smiley

doh
snow report
Kicking Horse has some of hte best skiers and boarders around..lvove that they don't go for the outfit they have the best gear:) i taught this season and loved it. I did a 3 week course at hte begin of hte season that had a guaranteed job -was ace, if you want more info about it pm me, though agree unless you have saved up for hte season, instructing doesn't pay well in teh first season, I am going back and will move up the ladder a bit and get paid more, did CASI l1 and beginngin of season and CSIA L1 as well so i can teach ski/boarding which helps. I didn't get my L2 boarding it isn't that easy...even after a season you need to have their method and stance down pat..did park cert though. Do you want to teach or just get qualified? a lot of poeple take the courses and never use them to teach.
snow conditions
Who did you go with?

Was Trevor your instructor?
snow report
gorbierider, Where do you come from though? Do you want to make ski teaching your profession, which is what we're mostly talking about. Glad you had a good time and that you're going back again. Good luck
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy