Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

West Couloir Story, Part 1

Poster: A snowHead
Last week Dave and I decided to have a go at West Couloir. Its a fairly aesthetic couloir off the midi accessed by skiing the top pitch of the Glacier Rond

Here is a pic of the Rond I took a few years ago. The dotted line is the 'fall' line.

I have always thought, and told everyone, that if you fell on the Rond you would stop before you got to the ice cliffs at the bottom as it flattens out a bit.

Here I am putting it to the test, not intentionally of course.

My outside ski released on me just after the apex of a turn some way above this point.

Finally managing to stop.

The ski just above me is the second one to come off. The other is out of shot top right.

It stopped pretty much where it came off, giving me a pretty good hike.

We had been planning on skiing West Couloir but I decided I'd like to get home and sort my bindings out first.

Part 2 coming up

Phil

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 4-04-05 8:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
respect . . . ! . . . . . . and envy. Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ooooooo....dear, need to go lie down on the floor again Shocked

Are you attempting an ice axe style arrest in the fourth shot?

My sig seems strangely appropriate for this thread snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another routine day in the office then Phil (gulp)?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
philingle, nice one! Although I've generally steered a mile from the kind of stuff you're skiing I can testify that trustworthy bindings are the essence of equipment in those scenarios.

The scariest experience I ever had on skis was as a teenager, off-piste in Les Arcs on some steeps with a guide, when my new bindings kept pre-releasing. I was soon reduced to a quivering wreck.

There's a lot to be said for trusted time-proven bindings in these situations, and for putting any new bindings through plenty of terrain before subjecting them to a real test. I don't remember the first pitch off the Valluga summit very clearly - just wanted to get the hell out of there - but I do recall needing to blank out the idea that the bindings were going to blow out. There are some situations where you simply don't want to 'go there'.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philingle wrote:
I have always thought, and told everyone, that if you fell on the Rond you would stop before you got to the ice cliffs at the bottom as it flattens out a bit.

You didn't fancy keeping going to find out then? Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 31-03-05 0:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Philingle, Superb photo's, looks a little challenging ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow... need to go lie down as well... Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Which resort and which mountain were you skiing?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Adrian wrote:
Which resort and which mountain were you skiing?

Resort: Chamonix Mont-Blanc, France
Mountain: Aiguille du Midi 3842m, Glacier Rond descent line
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marc gledhill wrote:
You didn't fancy keeping going to find out then?

There was a period when I wasn't sure if I would stop. My thoughts were...

F***k
ok, holding it on the uphill ski...
uhhh no I'm not, better drop my hip in and try and stop before the 'schrund
(here my hip check caused a cartwheel)
Bu**er....
mmmm not going to stop before the 'schrund
goood made it over the 'schrund, should stop any minute now.
any minute now then
better stop soon or I'm off the end
ahh, slowing a bit
Phhhheeeeeeeeww. that was a bit close for comfort

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 1-04-05 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philingle, the "intermediate plateau" is so tricky to overcome, but I think you've done it in part 2. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philingle, Are you sure that you are human? Where is your "wimp gland"? It must be very small ..... Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're not worthy, we're not worthy. Stunning and great series of piccies - part 2 too. Proves that old myth I think it was said about Corbet's "it' not getting down it that's tough it's the walk back up to collect all your gear that's tough".
ski holidays
philingle, Great pictures, you have my respect how far did you slide after you ski released before stopping and how far were you from going all the way.
snow conditions
philingle,

Nice pitch, looks about 45 degrees, it that true..?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy