Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Q:When Does a 32kg Luggage Allowance Mean Only 12kg? A:When It's With Easyjet

Poster: A snowHead
Don't know why anyone would fly anything other than BA if the prices are similar (as they usually are!). Yeah Easyjet are the best of the budgets, but they're still often crammed and the seats are too close together. BA have nice big seats and free drinks. Only problem for me is they don't seem to fly to Innsbruck anymore.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999,BA also don't fly directly to Europe from my local airports. Last BA flight I was on was cramped crowded and ran out of food (Vancouver-Heathrow).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, Swansea - Bristol with Easujet or Swansea - Heathrow/Gatwick with BA, two hours less travelling is a good incentive !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would Fly BA if I could. Problem is it (nearly always) means driving down to a London airport rather than East Mids, BHX or Manchester. BA may fly from these places too, but not (usually) to where I want to go.

End result is most often Easyjet or Ryanair, both of whom have given me good service but are often not particularly cheap (if you are taking much luggage). That said, return flights to Spain for £50 for two of us was pretty good last year. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John wrote:

And I don't want to turn this into an airline fanboi p1ssing contest, but seeing as BA fly from Heathrow, Gatwick, City, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle and Aberdeen I would suggest your assertion that they are a "non-starter for the majority of UK" is, shall we say, a little hysterical.

And their route consists of.............. HEATHROW. For short haul I want something local, cheap and reliable and EJ provide it all. If I lived near Heathrow then BA would get the option of my custom. I have never had a problem in the many EJ flights I have booked; I have booked 1 BA flight, From MAN to GVA.....and they cancelled the flight.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
I have not checked if it is still specified on their website, but it used to be stated that an unused portion of the 20kg allowance could be put into the sports bag, but unused sports-bag allowance could not be put in the main case (it wasn't put as simply as this and in one place but it was there). On this basis, Kelskii, I would have thought their first reaction was right - but perhaps they have changed the wording.

I checked through their T&Cs and can't locate the restriction you mention, only:

"Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs. Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out above shall apply in addition to the above fee."

This is what I relied on at the airport.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kelskii, I have never seen that either, and I have been through the T&Cs quite often over the last few years because they are always changing them wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, are you waving a big pair of orange pom poms around as you write your posts?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr John, The only direct flights to what could be called a skiing destination from regional airports is to Milan(and those are operated by FlyBe) to all other destinations useful for skiing would involve a change at Heathrow ie a pain in the a**e and probably considerably more expensive than a direct flight. So I think Frosty the Snowman had it right when he said BA are "non-starter for the majority of UK"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, are you waving a big pair of orange pom poms around as you write your posts?
Why am I thinking MICHELLE Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John wrote:

No, he is just telling the truth as it really is.

For about 3/4 of the UK population (assuming the above figures are correct), the London airports are not the easiest.

And while BA do fly from some of the regional airports, not with nearly as many routes.

So he is quite right that for short haul flights, BA is not really a viable option for the majority of the population.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't usually fly BA but let me get this straight. If I book a BA flight I get unlimited hand luggage as long as I can lift it into the overhead lockers (this doesn't affect me too much really as I travel with light hand luggage only usually), 23kg of hold luggage and if I pay for ski carriage, an additional ski carriage allowance on top.

How much can my skis go up to with BA and how much is the ski carriage with BA?
(I know it's up to 12kg with Easyjet as fly with them regularly)

Can my ski boots go in my hold luggage in the end pockets with BA like I usually do with Easyjet or do they want them in a separate boot bag and therefore form part of the xkg ski carriage allowance?

Thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Easyjet don't bump you off flights, BA do (personal experience)!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
perhaps the whole debate is a trifle hysterical, although I do understand the frustration of turning up at an airport and being greeted by someone behind a desk with a bad attitude. Is it actually a training issue for all the airlines and handling agents?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My understanding of the Easyjet baggage thing is, if you pay for a hold bag each way and ski carriage each way, your total luggage can be 32kgs, 12kgs for the skis and boots and 20kg for the hold suitcase/holdall/whathaveyou. If you just pay for ski carriage then it's 12kgs I thought, so therefore I've always paid for hold luggage as well. They do let you have a hold suitcase of say 23kgs (as mine often is with my boots in there) if your skis only come to 7kg as mine do as I'm then 5kgs short on the ski carriage allowance, so it can be pooled as long as the total comes to no more than 32kg. If it does then they definitely charge or try to.

I had a right w*nker at Bristol airport last Dec who was like something out of the Gestapo, seems to depend on who you get on the check in desk sometimes. He had me running around playing silly beggars with my hand luggage because it wouldn't fit in the hand luggage thing one way. I don't mind having to make amendments but his attitude stank frankly and I swore I'd never fly from Bristol again especially when they wanted to charge me £1 for a plastic bag to put a lipsalve in at security.
ski holidays
I've just made up a dummy flight with BA for Dec and can't see where you add ski carriage-is it automatically included on every flight then or what? I thought it used to be but they changed that recently?
ski holidays
There is no additional allowance for sporting equipment, but it can still be carried free of charge as part of your free checked baggage allowance. If it is in addition to your free checked allowance, you will need to pay extra bag charges.

Found it on the BA website now about sporting equipment-seems it has to be part of the 23kg then so I'd have trouble with that as my hold bag is usually 20 kgs on it's own.

However it also says that you can pay £35 (which is about what Easyjet charge for ski carriage IIRC) and have another baggage allowance of 23kg i.e. for the skis. That suits me fine but then the total fare would work out a lot more expensive than Easyjets would be, especially at the moment when the cheap fares are out.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, that £35 is (AIUI) per leg, so £70 return (or £28/£56 if booked online) - so more than 50% higher than EJ's additional charge, but you do get more for it. And regarding the EJ policy - have you not read any of those emails from EJ customer support?
latest report
GrahamN, ah right, yes makes it even more expensive then.

How do you mean have I read the emails? Do you mean the ones on the first page of this thread or other ones? If you mean had I read the ones on the first page of this thread before writing what my understanding was of the 20kg plus 12kg thing then no I hadn't, but then I'd always taken a hold bag plus skis as I'd never fit everything in my ski bag only anyway.

Is that what you mean, or something else?
ski holidays
Quote:

Quote:
Easyjet's website says: "Sporting Equipment - Payment of the additional fee increases your checked in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a max weight of 32kg."

Must admit that my interpretation was the same as that of Mountain Addict.

When the terms and conditions categorically state that your checked in baggage allowance is increased to 32kg I fail to understand how that might be interpreted as conditional.

And Mountain Addict is right - how can it be justifiable to restrict a £37 bag to 12kg when a cheaper bag could weigh 20kg?! Puzzled
ski holidays
Bergmeister, well that does make it confusing yes especially when the earlier emails from Easyjet stated otherwise. Like I say, there's no way I'd get my clobber in my ski bag so it's not a difficulty I've ever encountered but I'm sure some manage it for shorter trips. I can see Mountainaddict's point.
latest report
Easyjet are good in my opinion but you do have to read the T&Cs very carefully. I suspect you have to do with most airlines just people are more inclined to travel with Easyjet because they're cheaper so they get more scrutiny.

Apart from Dan Dare, but I wouldn't fly with them unless there was about a £ 150 differential.

My understanding in the past is that sporting equipment is intended to be that alone, 12kg seems reasonable for a pair of skis + bag

Dr John, Check out the range of destinations for BA flights to continental Europe from anywhere that isn't London e.g. from Manchester.

Inciidentally the population figure given for London is for Greater London not the strict definition of city applied to other cities (!) for some reason.
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Easyjet's website says: "Sporting Equipment - Payment of the additional fee increases your checked in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a max weight of 32kg."

Must admit that my interpretation was the same as that of Mountain Addict.

When the terms and conditions categorically state that your checked in baggage allowance is increased to 32kg I fail to understand how that might be interpreted as conditional.

And Mountain Addict is right - how can it be justifiable to restrict a £37 bag to 12kg when a cheaper bag could weigh 20kg?! Puzzled

I think it's because of the word "additional"; implying that you've also paid the fee for the 20kg bag. This is why I've always paid for both even when only taking one big ski bag containing all my kit and weighing 32kg.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
[
And I don't want to turn this into an airline fanboi p1ssing contest, but seeing as BA fly from Heathrow, Gatwick, City, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle and Aberdeen I would suggest your assertion that they are a "non-starter for the majority of UK" is, shall we say, a little hysterical.

The only direct international fllight from Scotland appears to be a Glasgow-Chicago route so for international travel with BA you first have to fly to Heathrow. With Easyjet, Ryanair and Jet2 for instance flying direct to a considerable number of European destinations, the 'cheapies" do in that respect compare more than favourably with BA.
latest report
Kelskii wrote:
I think it's because of the word "additional"; implying that you've also paid the fee for the 20kg bag. This is why I've always paid for both even when only taking one big ski bag containing all my kit and weighing 32kg.

why does that imply you have paid the fee for a 20 kg bag ? I read it as additional fee to my booking.
snow report
What? No smug posts from someone saying 'I drive, so don't pay any extra baggage charges and can take as much as I like' ?
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Kelskii wrote:

why does that imply you have paid the fee for a 20 kg bag ? I read it as additional fee to my booking.

Because the additional fee appears (imho) to relate to what the T&Cs call an an additional item (skis).
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Nickski wrote:
Dr John, Check out the range of destinations for BA flights to continental Europe from anywhere that isn't London

Hint, it won't take long. rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always take a double ski bag on easyJet, which means I can fit in a pair of skis AND my boots (and it comes to about 12kg).
latest report
Kelskii, of course it is an additionbal item Puzzled what else would you be paying for otherwise ? 20 kig comes with the flight ticket, then a charge is added for every bag you check in so if you do not check a bag in the charge is zero, and an additional charge is paid for the ski bag (extra item) you check in Puzzled seems simple to me Laughing

edit - if the T&Cs said you must pay for atleast one checked in item (actually there may be some vague rewference to that somewhere wink ) to get the 20 kg allowance and if you pay for ski carraige you get an extra 12 kg then fine, but it does not really say that.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 7-05-10 12:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
So for the booking I've just made for next half term. I've paid for 2 x bags and 1 x skis = 32kg total. As my ski bag (with 2 sets of skis) weighs 20kg can I get away with that if my other 2 bags total less than 32kg?
snow conditions
Colin B, 2 bags = 40 kg, skis = 12 kg so I think you have 52 kg - you ski bag can be 20 kg and you can spread the rest over your two bags
ski holidays
rayscoops, Yes typo above, should have said 52kg.
ski holidays
http://www.seatguru.com/
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Kelskii, of course it is an additionbal item Puzzled what else would you be paying for otherwise ? 20 kig comes with the flight ticket, then a charge is added for every bag you check in so if you do not check a bag in the charge is zero, and an additional charge is paid for the ski bag (extra item) you check in Puzzled seems simple to me Laughing

edit - if the T&Cs said you must pay for atleast one checked in item (actually there may be some vague rewference to that somewhere wink ) to get the 20 kg allowance and if you pay for ski carraige you get an extra 12 kg then fine, but it does not really say that.

I don't think the 20kg allowance does come with the flight, you have to pay £9 for it. From the T&Cs:

"Payment of the fee provides you with an aggregate allowance of 20kg across all pieces of hold baggage which may only be increased by payment of excess weight charges."
snow conditions
Wow, this topic sure does run and run. Has alex heney applied his legal brain to the wording yet? (It's too much for my second-rate legal experience to cope with.) I guess that the best thing to do is write down the answer you want and get EJ to confirm it, also in writing. Job done?

I now have a board bag in which I could put my skis and all the rest of my stuff. I haven't dared use it, though, since dividing one's luggage between two bags strikes me as a defence against lost luggage - at least that way you only lose half your kit and, if you pack sensibly, you can ski without having to buy anything.
snow report
Kelskii, yes I have seen that before and mentioned it above, but I think it is more to do with not exceeding 20 kg with six bags, i.e. paying for six bags does not give you 6 x 20 kg, paying for one bag gives you one bag as part of your 20 kg, paying for two bags gives you the right to check in 2 items as part of your 20 kg, and paying for zero bags does not give you the right to put any bags in the hold as part of your 20 kg allowance.

The guidance from customer support I posted earlier was quite clear, the wording of the T&Cs is not, which is why neither of us are right or wrong, because it can be read in any way we want Very Happy

Easyjet simply need to express their intentions for baggage charges in a clearer manner
snow report
I drive, so don't pay any extra baggage charges and can take as much as I like
ski holidays
Dr John, phew, thank you
latest report
Colin B wrote:
So for the booking I've just made for next half term. I've paid for 2 x bags and 1 x skis = [edit:52]kg total. As my ski bag (with 2 sets of skis) weighs 20kg can I get away with that if my other 2 bags total less than 32kg?

Yes, but only if your booking is for two passengers as well. If you only have one passenger, the extra bag buys you nothing extra over the standard 20kg allowance.
(I assume that's what you've done, but clarifying in case anyone else reads this)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy