Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HESTRA GLOVES !!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been convinced, I think, into buying some Hestra gloves for the really cold weather -10 and colder

Which one should I go for

Mittens
3 finger
standard glove

Your advice would be appreciated, especially those with experience of wearing

http://www.hestragloves.com/#/en/gloves/alpine_pro/

Thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just bought a pair of the Sverre/Kaj pro model for £50 (down from £75) from Edge and Wax, could be worth a try. They're mighty sexy. Personally not keen on 3 finger/mittens, I like to be able to use my hands, although I can appreciate that when it gets to -20 mittens may be essential. You don't get temperatures like that in Europe very often though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've had a couple of pairs over the last 3 seasons (standard glove, both without a gauntlet) and have never found myself with extremely cold hands. If you don't usually get too cold then standard gloves will be fine. If you are diong lots of your skiing in a typically cold climate (Rockies etc) I'd consider 3 finger/mitts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1969jma, you might have a job finding anything other than a normal glove in the UK.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tamarack Outdoors has gloves/mitts/3 fingers (although only 2 sizes in the 3-fingered style).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1969jma, if you get cold hands get Mittens. I get cold hands and find full mittens much better than gloves or 3 finger. I have moved this season from the Black Diamond Gauntlet (Mitt with 3 finger lining) to Hestra Gore Tex Mittens and having no separation between the fingers is an improvement. I use an icebreaker liner with them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally, I'd go for the 3 finger mitt - I hate the lack of dexterity in a full mitt, and the trigger finger type is way better for that. I actually own the regular XCR 5 finger gauntlet, which is good but a bit bulky for spring days, and not quite warm enough with liners when it gets properly cold (-25 and under ish). Been meaning to upgrade for a couple of seasons but never really had the money. I wear a random hestra short cuff when it's warmer.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1969jma, I have had a pair of these Army Pro Leather ones for three seasons and found them excellent. Plus a pair of
Hestra Guide Gloves from Ray Mears shop. I use them through the year as well - boating mainly. Every household should have some .. Laughing
Just be careful with gloves if you are carrying skis, or 'parking' them upright - palms and ski edges dont mix ... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got some of these (in black) http://www.hestragloves.com/#/en/gloves/alpine_pro/leather_ski_cross/ half price on the EoSB, guess they will do me down to -10 and less but I do tend to run fairly hot so maybe not suitable for everyone. As has been said if you do feel the cold mittens would be your best bet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I ordered a pair of 3-finger Hestra's from Tamarack for going to Canada in January, choosing the 3-fingered as my fingers get painfully cold in gloves but I didn't want to lose dexterity with mitts.

Tamarack don't carry the 3-fingered ones in stock so they ordered them from Hestra, when their delivery arrived however Hestra had forgot to include mine. A bit last minute really so my own fault, but I decided to try the mitts instead which were in stock.

Mitts duly arrived from Tamarack who were really helpful, a big thumbs up to them. In terms of dexterity, not a problem with goggles. Only thing that could have been a problem would be ski pole straps - my Scott poles have a stiffened, sort of padded bit on the straps which keep them 'open' if you see what I mean, if they didn't have this I would have struggled to open them out with reduced finger dexterity.

Fingers toasty warm all holiday, hubby has Hestra Army Short GTX XCR also recommended.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 5-05-10 19:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've never ordered anything from Tamarack but they have always been really helpful if I have had any queries.

Hestra Army Short GTX XCR are the ones I currently use.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
3 finger. Had 'em for years, best of, er, all Worlds. End of.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy