Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this skier good enough for BASI exams?

Poster: A snowHead
Dont think she is overly rigid more static on the skis?

More dynamic movment would make a big diffrence to her skiing especially in the bumps but it has to be the right movment She will be fine and would be more than comfortable on the L2 as over the duration of hte course all the tweaks she needs over the period of the course.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rigid to me is the same thing. Not necessarily bending or flexing where required. Especially evident in the bumps section of the video but as DaveC mentioned and skimottaret confirmed it is a confidence issue.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret,
Quote:
(when we ski together it never gets into drills or lessons wink )

ha ha - sounds like me and my wife, it's a process of very subtle suggestion Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My view, FWIW, is that this is generally very nice skiing, but the bumps are the weakest. As a number of the others have said, I'd agree that while the body position is not too bad there, there is nowhere near enough leg extension/flexion in the bumps. Note particularly in that little traverse at 1:00 that the upper body is thrown up and down quite a bit, as the legs are not absorbing the terrain. Practice at dwarves and giants in the bumps (and some slow dog noodles too Wink ) would address this. I would agree with the criticism of the pole plants above, but in the bumps only (agree that they're pretty good in the more closed skill skiing). A bit more activity on the pole plants (and the left hand plants look a bit weaker to me than do the right, pole is planted a bit behind and late) will get a bit more dynamism overall, and so may also unlock some of the remaining body stiffness.

(L1 coach; experienced but completely unqualified off-piste skier)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, the second set of bumps were nastier than the video shows. rock hard deep base with some snow on the top, but quite right not enough absorbsion. she needs to be more active in the bumps but was a bit nervous. (i crashed out going down first carry the camera Laughing )
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For level 1 in a dome dont need to worry about bumps or variables but big emphasis on central theme. Piste performance looks ok for level 1. Which leg did she break?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is my response to the question:
"Can you have a look at this video and offer any suggestions for improvements prior to a BASI L1 course this summer [2010]. What changes would you make on the longs, shorts, bumps, variables and freestyle?"
The questioner is asking for technical feedback. It is a technically sound performance. It shows a performance that has had the bad habits mainly removed. But, I'll open up the answer beyond the technical.
I liked what I saw in the video. I would say the performances were neat and tidy, skiing under control. On piste - showing awareness of others. There was control of speed and line in the bumps and the variables - in not perfect visibility- It was showing great promise. The basic stance she has is great. Obviously, there will be aspects to work on. The coach will want to develop the range on the movements. The great thing is she is generally making the right movements in her skiing without major faults that would need un-learned. She will learn how to do more, and amp-up her performance - and she'll enjoy it. I am sure the trainer will enjoy teaching her too, and that makes quite a difference.
The thing is about the BASI course: it isn't so much "turn up and get your boxes ticked" as "attend a personal performance course and work on your skiing, enjoy it and see how far it takes you". The success will be measured on how adaptible to coaching she is. Sometimes, especially with the more confident trainers, they'll give you a hint not to worry early-on if your skiing is already above the pass level, then they'll go for preparing to the next level so you are getting sixes not just fives in your scores. If asked to change range, rate, timing of a movement, can she do that? (I'm sure she can, based on what I've seen).
I see the makings of a top skiing career if she has the will to start from now and be prepared to be told to change - at will - any aspect.
No matter how technically good a skier is on arrival on a BASI course, the trainer will want to see adaptibility in the performance in response to his/her suggestions. The performance needs to change in some way in order to improve.
On the course, the trainer will try to get the highest level of performance out of her, and will not hold her back. If she was skiing at Level 4 the trainer would develop that too. So, If she goes to a L1 course and is skiing technically at L2, she will be developed at that level and not levelled down to fit. She should not worry about her technical level. If she discovers weaknesses at L1 and L2, I don't think they will be technical. On the course, she will be reassured that she can leave the "Am I At The Level" question to the trainer to worry about. Just forget about that side of things. All she has to do is pay attention and work hard. When she passes - fantastic. The next level asks for even more change and development. If she doesn't pass for some reason - learn positively from that too.
Prior to the course she could focus on the TTPP threads. These weave through every skier's performance.
Physically, get strong. Train-to-Train. Train to be fit and strong enough to not just survive the course, but to revel in the day's skiing and do even better the next day. Start with the core and then the limbs. Even a few weeks strength and conditioning will pay dividends. It's all very well for onlookers to say "do more range of flex/extend in the bumps". If you are strong enough to deliver it, you'll easily achieve it and it will cease to be a problem.
Psychologically, learn to take criticism positively - whatever is fed back, take the positives out of it. If asked to ski on one ski, ski backwards, ski blindfold just get on with it.
Be constructive and assertive with the trainer. Confirm simply with the trainer what you understand. Make sure you understand what the trainer means when the feedback or discussion is taking place. Re-phrase what they say and bounce back for confirmation. It is their job to help you pass. Make their job as easy as possible.
Be professional and friendly with the trainer. Let others be the ones to have negative attitudes against the trainer. Stay well clear of that if you are unlucky enough to be in the viscinity.
Before the course, get some "Bottle" training like doing fast descents on a mountain bike trail. Allow performance to flow without holding back. Gently push the limits whilst enjoying yourself. Don't go mental, though. Try to relax your grip on the bike's handle bars and feel what it's like to let it run without tensing up.
Technically, do the homework on the Central Theme so the concepts are familiar. Just learn it without changing it.
Get boots that are comfortable enough to ski all day, but stiff enough to transfer every little toe-movement on to the ski. Get your skis selected. Not too short. Longer skis bend better. Learn how skis make you change direction. (you make them bend). Understand the concepts "Turn Radius" and "Sidecut Radius". They are different, but you'll be amazed how many people in BASI haven't got it yet.
Learn what you need to do to stay in a position of strength (Think inclination for the longs), but learn what has to be compromised on that to develop agility (we're thinking a more separated, angulated stance for the faster rhythm turns).
Learn how to race-tune your skis. A summer course on a glacier will be on bulletproof ice for the first hour and slush for the last hour. The skis need to be razor sharp and also waxed properly.
Tactically: Learn to perform little lecturettes on some detail of TTPP and stand up in front of your parents or neigbours and deliver a 5-minute talk on front of a whiteboard with 6 bullet points on it. Get videoed doing this and have someone play it back and pick out body language, verbal and presentational points to work on.
Tactically on the course, learn to interact positively with the others. It isn't a competition, and you don't have to be the best, or beat anyone.
On every BASI course I have attended, you are asked to evaluate your own performance across all the strands and threads. You then work on aspects in isolation, improve these and then blend the new improved bits back in.
As a luxury, buy a box of ski socks. A clean, new pair every day. This is a commitment, a way of thinking.
BASI doesn't work in shapes and pictures any more. It hasn't done for 15 years at least. Instead, the trainer will often specify a task and conditions. e.g. "Ski this pitch to the third snow-cannon no more than 2 cat-tracks wide making clean arcs, long-radius, long-arc turns. We are looking for high-performance skiing".
(When BASI Trainers say "High Performance" they mean "Fast"!) Notice they may not often get technical about steering elements. It's the output they define. The what. Not the How. There is no one set way to ski.
I would say she is skiing at a level that will allow her to enjoy a L1 and L2 course. No doubt about it. To improve, she needs to be taught what to learn and develop. She can't make that up for herself any more than she could teach herself concert piano performance by sitting at a piano and having a go. Expanding this metaphor: We are talking skiing at the highest level - eventually. There is a long way to go. But make no mistake - it's concert level not a talent show level. People who pass the L4 are among the top few thousand GS racers in the world. You have to pass the Eurotest for one thing (within 18% of the GS World-champion's equivalent time), and starting to race now will ease that hurdle.
The quickest route is to start race training preparation out of the gates, then learn GS gates. Sympathetic, knowledgeable coaching is essential.
Skiing at a higher level means learning to get the control of speed and line established at the first part of the arc. Learners and intermediates can't do this. Instead they get the skis round and then scrub the speed by skidding and pushing at the finish of the arc. Good fast skiers get the control at the top of the turn and have much less to do at the end of it, and they press much less in the turn after the fall-line. In other words the experts are doing a different task, and the resulting outcome is controlled, fast skiing that is safe, fun and always developing.
I wish you good luck - with the old quote from Arnold Palmer "The more I practise, the luckier I get!". Also Practice makes permanent. So make sure you add in only the good stuff.
DC
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveyCuthill, welcome to snowHeads, and congratulations for the longest, most detailed first post ever! Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

broke her leg real bad

Quote:

made them look real easy

Gee! Real interesting American terminology wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lookout at 21 seconds Shock
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, Sent PM
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveyCuthill, wow thanks for that, couldnt agree more on all you have said. You should send that to BASI and get your advice in the pre course booklet! Not sure she will want to go all the way through but as a start i am trying to (gently) push her along to L2 so she could do a gap year teaching somewhere after A levels. She is a good athlete and not making excuses but was in hospital for 3 weeks and in bed at home for another 3 months with a full length cast after a nastly tib fib break and this was the first time back on skis...

Welcome to snowHead 's and i look forward to hearing more from you on the forum!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To "SkiMottaret": I am glad you found it a worthwhile read! It must be difficult being a parent, preparing your child for life. The commitment needs to come from them, and they can think the world will come to them. Little Angel
It's easier to do the physical and technical young
The time to make that commitment to getting on the training pathway is when you are young. It can make such a difference. So many over-30s struggle with all the threads and wishing they'd done the race-training as a teen.
Commitment
Being a ski teacher isn't an easy option. It could be quicker and cheaper to become a British Airways Pilot! Or get a PHD from Cambridge.
The good old S.M.A.R.T.E.R. goalsetting and project plan rule of thumb is very useful. It's a huge investment. If the person doesn't get to top level early enough, they won't be earning long enough to pay back the investment in a reasonable time. And of course, if you don't get your "Full Diplom" you will be pretty limited as to your income opportunities teaching skiing.
Then, when you do get qualified, and whilst shovelling two feet of powder off the children's travellator in the kindergarten, you see the skibums taking the first lift, you have to be sure you made the right choice, that you really want to be a teacher.
On the other hand look at the alternatives. Some children want to climb Everest. Not "When I grow up" but "Now"! (And so on with round-the-world sailing, race-car driving etc.).
Strengths
The bad break she took will strengthen her mentally as, at a young age, she already knows she can overcome serious difficulties. Getting stronger and more skilful will be a great insurance policy for her against future injury. I watched the video again and was pretty impressed with her line in the variables by the piste at 1'40'' or so. She let the skis run, lost it a little, but then got it back and carried on. Basi trainers love to see that.
General thoughts
I tried to open out the answer to a more general audience too. You will see interminable on-line debate on the tiniest of technical points. The BASI trainers mostly operate in a range that doesn't get bogged down in that. They are taught to keep it simple, and concentrate on the overall performance. But the standards are way ahead of the general public's knowledge and received wisdom. If she can get hold of the Canadian World Cup Race Team training videos that are going around, that is a model quite often referred to by BASI race trainers. Also, (my recommendation here) on YoucanSki.com with Greg Gurshman. The new book "Ultimate Skiing" by Ron Lemaster is wonderful. Full of freeze-frame montages.
Best wishes for the summer course.
DC
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DC the worldcup winning runs DVD is great an inspiration to any athlete looking to improve
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Canadian World Cup Race Team training videos

DaveyCuthill, you got any links to those, haven't heard about em... got the Le master book but havent had a chance to read it yet and i too am a fan of gurshman, he talks a lot of sense.

I know what you mean about getting in some early race training. I do some coaching at hemel and Milton keynes and am one of those over 30's who is struggling with race training.. I got stuck at L3 and not sure i have it in me to train seriously for the ET or the L4 tech. We left it too late for my daughter to excel at ski racing and she took up other sports, kinda annoyed with myself as with a bit of training she would kick a lot of the juniors i see training at the local clubs but you can only do so many sports (or spend time in the car carting em around the country!)...
ski holidays
skimottaret,

http://www.snowpro.com/cscf/cscftv/index.htm has all the vids
snow report
to answer the OP turns out she was Toofy Grin
snow conditions
skimottaret, tell her well done from me snowHead
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
to answer the OP turns out she was Toofy Grin

Excellent! Please pass on my congratulations. Her plough parallels mid-week were looking especially sweet.
latest report
skimottaret, congratulations to her! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
skimottaret, congratulations from me too! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
skimottaret, Add my congratulations!
latest report
skimottaret, congrats to her! First step to going one better than dad?
latest report
skimottaret, Congratulations to her! Had better start saving as it only gets more expensive from here on in wink
snow report
skimottaret, awww, bet you're a proud dad! Congratulations! (to you both) Very Happy
snow report
Well done to her...

and well done to my daughter (snowhead eva_peva) and her friend Emilie

They qualified off the same course too!
snow conditions
Its great to hear young people entering into the BASI system, I hope they have a great time on the course and choose to continue through the system!!! Good luck!!! Very Happy
latest report
rungsp, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh seems like I missed half the posts..........great news they passed well done them!!! hopefully it will have inspired them to continue in the system!
latest report
CEM wrote:
DC the worldcup winning runs DVD is great an inspiration to any athlete looking to improve

Cant agree more, I have spent hours and hours watching them Smile You can also find some pretty good stuff on youtube now.
latest report
Well done to her!
ski holidays
I'm by far no expert but i would totally agree with ARV,

It would be interesting to see her really trying to push some faster, steeper turns, then imo one could asses her her style better.
snow report
Thanks for all the well wishes, she was really pleased to get it and is looking forward to the shadowing. congrats also to rungsp's daughter. Lots of young, very good skiers on this course which was great to see.
latest report
Lots of technical feed back on the video, and a lot of it good, however how well can she snowplough, as this can be the biggest problem for level one and two. All that said no probs for level 1 go for it!!
If i'm to jump in to on the critic generally use of edges and crossing over the skis very well, I agree with the need to add steer at the end of the turn in shorts and she generally needs to keep over her skis throughout the turn, from looking at the video this is due to too much knee flex at the end of the turn, not enough ankle flex.
In the bumps she is steady calm and mostly rhythmical, however she has just taken her piste short turns into a bumps enviroment (no probs for level 1) to progress play around with reverse timing Absorb in extend out to get softer at the start of the turn, on some of the turns as she absorbs at the end she gets caught in the rut collapsing at the waist a little. as the bumps get bigger using the same technique will accentuate the problem. and as in the shorts using more steer at the end of the turn will give greater speed control.
Hope this has helped and all the best of luck with the exam.
latest report
Bit of a Bump.... Is this skier now good enough for BASI L2 exams, any MA would be appreciated

https://vimeo.com/37235535
latest report
skimottaret, No idea, does the skier know any BASI types who might have been through the levels themselves? wink

That aside, looks pretty tidy, you must be a proud dad. Although looks like there is lots of variable snow practice going to waste just out of picture.
ski holidays
fatbob, we had loads of fun in the pow but i fancied getting some shorts and longs on tape that day... just curious to get some MA feedback to confirm or deny my ideas... she made one change during the week (that is usually one more than i am allowed to suggest !) and have a few ideas for next years holiday...
ski holidays
On the basis that I'm hoping to blag my ski L1 in the Spring, she's well above the standard... Embarassed
latest report
stevomcd, she already has L1 and is thinking (or at least her Dad is) about when to do L2.

I'd like to see some changes made to her extension at the start of the turn in her short radius work. She is getting grip quite late in the turn, and is pushing the skis a bit as a consequence. It may or may not be linked to being slightly in the back seat some of the time. A stronger extension (smooth and powerful) will help the skis grip, smooth out her rate of turning so there's no sudden push and might well help get her centred all of the time.
snow conditions
skimottaret, I'd say she's more than entry standard. Thing I picked up on, maybe it was the camera angle, but she seems to be almost hunched as if looking at the ground in front of her skis, which in turn is putting her slightly in the back seat.

Well done on being so accomplished so young.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy