Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing the heavy stuff

Poster: A snowHead
Kramer, aahh.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, I am merely noticing that rollercoasters don't do circular loops.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, easiski, I will do it. The perfect 360 degree carved loop will be mine! OH YES! YAH, HA, HA, HA! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, if you want to CARVE a 360, the best is on a flat with a slightly uphill section that you can approach at a reasonable speed.
Whatever you do, don't try like I did at Copper, and carve round a clump of trees in the middle of a piste at high speed. You might make it all the way round, but as you come up the hill, and there's a guy coming towards you, he really does panic... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer, wasn't remotely attempting to tell you how to do it. I was actually attempting to nose our experts that be into their opinion on:

- "Are successful 360 carved loops actually more of a tilted-egg shape than a circle shape?"
- "Does the angle the ski is edged ("roll" in a roll/pitch/yaw coordinate system) change significantly at the top of a successful loop?"
- "Is the inside ski more strongly edged than the outer in the top portion of the successful loops?"
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What a relief to see this thread- just returned from Passo Tonale where I struggled to ski in the slush that was everywhere (everywhere that is that was white- obviously the green / brown and grassy bits weren't slushy, just waterlogged)
I thought that my skiing had deteriorated since my last trip 4 weeks ago and it's good to know that I'm not the only one who struggles in these conditions. I now know what I was doing wrong (too slow, too short turns). Anyone know any tips for getting grass stains off a ski jacket and pieces of grass out of my bindings? Havn't fallen over so much since the week I learnt!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, no offence was taken at all, sorry if any was given.

Having never managed a complete loop I can't answer your questions I'm afraid.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helena,
Quote:

getting grass stains off a ski jacket

Try Vanish Gel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helena,
Generally in heavy or slushy snow any mistakes are likely to snag the ski and throw the skier off balance.
The skier can try and get the skis up in the air and turning by using the banks of snow as point of resistance
or if you run flat, try and stay centred and no violent turns, so big is better and let the natural edge weight and radius turn the
ski. A bit of speed will help the ski track through the slush better too.
It is worth trying to crack this as these principles and techniques help in other types of snow as well so once you can ride
slush the deeper snow etc is easier. In fact, these same turns will get you all over the mountain in all sorts of conditions IMO.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To me it's all about getting the ski moving forwards along its long axis at all times rather than skidding it around which causes the ski to move in a direction which is slightly off it's long axis. As long as you're doing that then you won't have problems with catching edges, and it makes it much less hard work. Once you've got that sorted slush is quite good fun because it will hold an edge without too much effort, and it builds up into nice natural bumps which you can pop off. If you fall you get wet, but you're unlikely to hurt yourself because it's nice and soft.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, I reckon very soft carving skis help with 360 loop - what about Ise's Zags?? I've only ever managed it on the flat with a very soft pair of Scotts - tried today on my Fischers and failed miserably!!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, I hope you're not say calling my zags "soft carving skis" there Very Happy They're like me, hard, stiff and fat .... I need to work on this analogy a bit.....................
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, I'm not sure whether my B2s are soft or not, I think that they probably are. Anyway for me, there will be no more attempts until next season. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, any insight on the questions, above?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise, hard, stiff, and fat is quite useful in some circumstances, or so my female friends say. wink
ski holidays
Like Helena, it was a relief to me to see this thread. We were in Lech, Wed - Friday last week. Rained below 2000m on Wednesday. Couldn't see a thing - wet inside and outside my OTG goggles - ended up with motion sickness! Conditions great on Friday above 2000m, but still had to ski through sludge to get back to the resort lifts. As an early intermediate, I really struggled - sitting back, short defensive turns - quads died after first couple of runs. The problem for me was on the "easy" blues. The clumps of "corn" snow were so soft yet bumpy to prevent me picking up enough speed, with confidence, to cut through. Traversing seemed the only answer and keeping the skis together helped, but then the turns still went wrong probably, with hindsight, because I applied too much weight to the turning ski, snow-plough formed, skis separated, got stuck even - from the back seat, not a pretty sight. Tips above invaluable, if I ever regain my confidence! Sad
snow report
comprex, Which particular questions?? I'm not qualified to discuss ise, 's comments - but the Zags I've tried were soft! If it's your questions then to be honest I never think about this sort of stuff in that much detail! (I'm not called Easiski for no reason wink ). When I've successfullly done 360s I've just started a turn and carried on and have managed to get all the way around. I must admit to not doing it very often, and if I do think about it I'd say you have to have a lot of forward drive from the knee in addition to edge angle, but as to the final shape of the (non) circle - I never thought about it!!! Shocked

Sorry
latest report
Aggression Twisted Evil Just back from Les Arcs where it was soft & slushy as you approached 1600.Struggled for the first couple of days;then I got angry!Watching the ski racers there,one thing was obvious.They straight lined it at speed.Minimal turns and they skimmed over it.Right,thought I,here we go.Doing my best to abandon my usual caution I just went for it.It works!!!Yes,you trip once in a while,but you soon get better wink The only real problem was the occasional harder bump,which does throw you a little.Fatter ski's would help;my 5 stars are a little on the thin side IMHO.I found you needed to stay very flexible,as its a bit of a bumpy,roller coaster ride.Ski's fairly close together,gentle turns.Use your eyes and pick your route.Once I'd found my feet in it,I started to enjoy it.It is very satisfying to blast your way past all those that are struggling(and it gets you out of it a lot quicker)
Working on this definitely helped our first real venture into the powder a few days later.Again,we needed fatter ski's,but it was great fun all the same.Similar stance and attitude.Mind you,its the first time I've ever skied into a clump of bushes Shocked Looked for all the world like a gentle rise;soon found out it wasn't Embarassed At least I had a gentle landing;and it made my son nearly wet himself laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy