Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowboarder meet up at hemel on saturday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
firstly, i apologise in advance if i'm out of order posting this. so if the mods wanna pull this thread, please feel free to do so.

i belong to scuk and they're having a meet up at hemel on saturday if anyone wants to join in the fun. if you're interested and want more info, please check it out here.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would be game, but no-can-do this weekend, maybe next time - have been on the Definition course, can certainally recommend them! Have fun sherlock235, and invest in impact shorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
aw that's a shame!. le you say, maybe next time. i hope i do have fun. i've already invested in impact shorts; my intended purchase this weekend is a back protector. i fell flat onto my back the last time i went down the scuk box and had to lie still for a second to catch my breath. ouchie Laughing .
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am thinking of doing one of them Definition wotsits, although sadly cannot make tomorrow's.

Shall I get some kind of armour plated knitwear?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulio, nah, the dope* cables in your steezy* touring shizzle* should work as the initiators for the bouncing mechanism.

*re. paulio's "new lingo" thread that i'm still struggling to understand.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
paulio, I did the Definition introduction to freestyle weekend at HH last year and it was great. Recommend it, Gav is a great instructor, certainally improved my abilites on rails and kickers.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i'm gonna try to make this a tr "lite":

i had a fantastic time yesterday even though i didn't stay for the evening jam session. i took my time getting up to hemel yesterday morning. got there for about 1000 and signed up for 4 separate hour-long coaching sessions over about 9 hours. remind me never to do that again. i did have ~90 minutes break for lunch and 15 minutes here and there, but i ache and hurt like an hurty achey thing today.

i did 3 of the sessions with definition, and the last one with maverix. there were six of us on each of the sessions. two of my sessions were ollie clinics (going from the basics to ollying over ski poles held between the cones) one was on rails/boxes and the last session was on fs 180s.

the first ollie clinic was awesome. i know the theory about ollying and what you're "supposed" to do, though i've never been able to get the timing and the order of things correct. by the end of the first clinic i was able to go over the third bar of the cones/ski pole combo and was one of only two ppl who managed to get it right.

i then did a rail session. i can do 50-50s down most things, but didn't know how to get myself into position for a boardslide. by the end of the session, i was nearly able to spin the 90 degrees without any help. and when i did, i managed to ride away without bailing. it helped that the tabletop was about 5 centimetres off the ground, so i didn't have to "worry" about the drop off on the landing.

an excellent burger, chips, fries, coke and conversation followed over lunch. after which i was asked at the last minute if i wanted to do the second ollie clinic, so i was a bit late for that and i'd just had lunch so i was a bit rubbish.

scratch that, i was a lot rubbish. ah well. the more i desperately tried to meet the higher expectations of myself and the coach, the more frustrated i became, which meant i was getting rubbisher and rubbisher. george, bless him, tried all sorts of encouragements, none of which were getting me to keep my legs up during the jumping/popping part of the ollie. eventually i had to ask for 5 minutes so i could practise a few flatland ollies before going again. nope. still not happening. by which time the session had ended. but atleast i know i can do them cos i had done a few properly earlier in the day.

so it was on to the fs 180s. we started at top of the slope so we could learn how to spin properly from the diaphragm rather than swing our arms to get around. then it was off to try the spin as we rode down the slope. no problem, i can do those and sometimes do just for a bit of fun as i am riding down the slope anyways. then onto the kicker at the side of the flat down box. just rolling over the kicker, not actually ollying over it. we then tried doing the fs 180s as we went over the kicker. some of us got it, most of us not, me included. we had a chance to go over the big maverix kicker, which was sweet! though i didn't have the cajones to try a fs 180 over that one. even though i didn't quite get the fs 180 down, i still enjoyed the session, and i know what to do next time i want to try it.

45 minutes of recovery, followed by watching the shapers get the park ready for the evening jam session, and i realised i was gonna seriously hurt myself if i didn't stop riding for the day and head home. i felt great mentally, but totally exhausted physically. i missed out on the spot prizes and the general riding camaraderie of the evening, though i did have a broad smile on my face after the great day i'd had. i definitely recommend the coaching provided by both definition and maverix, but don't know if i'd be able last long enough to do one of their all-day or weekend sessions.

edit: sorry. this isn't exactly a "lite" anything, is it? Embarassed
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That sounds totally knackering. I sure am glad I haven't signed up to a whole weekend's worth of that!

*checks calendar*

Oh.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulio, haha. i'm still a bit sore today, but i'm still smiling.

if you're doing a weekend freestyle coaching session, beg, borrow or steal a back protector and impact shorts. i slammed onto my coccyx once coming off the table in the rail session and i'm sure i would've had to bail on the rest of the day if i hadn't been wearing my shorts. also, i've never used skins (compression baselayers), but i've been told they're really good to help keep you going all day long (ooh missus.)

another factor in my cr@p afternoon sessions is that i tied my boots a little too tight, so i couldn't quite get my legs to work properly. god, i think i flick the switch to numpty mode every time i try freestyle rolling eyes .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sherlock235 wrote:
paulio. i'm still a bit sore today, but i'm still smiling.

Shhh. People will talk.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy